• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your best defense against the "behemoth" army on the Dalmation coast may be time and distance. Remember the benefit of attrition! Also, I much prefer "Hail, Caesar!" to "Hail, Balbus!" - it just seems to flow better... :p

Balbus is clearly Caesar's lackey. Its a propaganda coup - "Look, I've not declared myself emperor have I?" :)

Italy seems destined to fall into Rebel hands, which should deprive the Loyalists of a lot of manpower. This could prove crucial later. How is their manpower anyway?

How you handle that 40k stack of doom will make or break this rebellion. Not only is it 40k, it also has a very good troop composition with only 2k militia.

Strange situation: you are sieging many provinces in the heart of Roman territory, while the loyalists are in return starting to siege your provinces (and probably many more in the near future with that 40k army). Who's gaining the upper hand now...? :confused:

Also I heard another thing that if a general is out in the field fighting, that he has a smaller (or maybe no) chance of winning the next election, symbolising that the men in rome control all the power. That is until the general marches on Rome :D

robou said:
This is quite a work Renss, and that battle in Picenum was most deadly, a hearty congratulations for creating the Somme of Rome. Consider me following from now on.
Thank you, Robou! And welcome! I've been checking your various AARs, too, and like what I see! You're keeping quite busy, with 3! :D

comagoosie said:
Good news, good news, good news, and then bad news. Does this mean that you can clain that you are winning the civil war? It doesn't look like they are putting a good of a fight like they did in the beginning of the war.

forgive me but I have never read your famous AAR. But what I have heard is that there is no better AAR.
Thank you, Comagoosie! I appreciate that. I hope you will have time one of these days to read it. As for this one, there's lots of back and forth still coming! No clear winner beginning to emerge, even as I have played ahead... Which, of course, promises more cliffhangers! :rolleyes:

English Patriot said:
Hmm even after those brilliant victories, the war is not won, and it seems to be descending into slow back and forth fighting, bring forward the massed cavalry!
Indeed! Lots of ground to cover still. My advantage definitely seems to be the cavalry, though! Beyond my wildest dreams!

WhisperingDeath said:
Gallia Cisalpina and Liguria under siege! Should the rebels be alarmed? I think not! The Rebels have the Loyalist forces on the run throughout the Italian peninsula where the victories are most important. Keep taking the fight to them and rally to regain your lost land.
This is more or less how I look at it, too. I've got the "high ground" -- all they've got is the sticks headquarters of a rebel army. :D And they don't even HAVE that yet...

stnylan said:
By the looks of things you are fast becoming the sole master of Iberia - and well on the way to becoming lord of Italia too.
Well, the war in Iberia is going well, but not that well. You'll see...

Berrrie said:
You're already enjoying the scenery in Southern Italy, I see. Is your tactic to pillage the countryside or are you also putting cities under siege?
I've spread my forces out in sufficient number to besiege several southern cities... However, this comes to haunt me. You'll see that, too! ;)

The Patrician said:
Can we have a look at the loyalists diplomacy box so we can see how much manpower they have left?
Your suspicions are correct -- they have no Manpower left. Nothing appreciable, anyway, and I've got their best lands under siege, and am beginning to take them away!

rasmus40 said:
This looks like a good opportunity to kill some loyalists starting with those in Gallia Cisalpina and Liguria.
Yes, well... I don't know how able or willing I am, just yet, to go hunting those massive stacks. More to come, on that!

Carinthium said:
Why not send the victors of Picenum to deal with the problem at the capital? You have enough forces in Italy to be able to win provinces even if you remove them, and given the combination's sucess at Picenum why would it not work there?
You may well be right, and they are beginning to move northward. Whether they can make it in time is another issue. I have other forces (weaker) that are nearer. Watch for me to use them to snipe at the enemy, as best I can.

Lord E said:
Mostly good news and good progress for Caesar’s forces. But I think you need to take some extra care considering some of your own seem to be working against you, it wouldn’t be very nice to have Caesar assassinated by one of his own friends now would it;)
The enemy might be at the gates of your capital, but you have the upper hand and I am sure that you will be able to strike back and remove this threat to your territory, also the fact that you are at the gates of Rome gives you the upper hand I think, especially if you can get the city to surrender to your forces…
Rome is being silly-difficult in its resistance! Darn these guys -- why don't you just give up like in real life?!

robou said:
That could be a nasty army, the 40,000 man one, to face should it come down to Italy, though the peninsular slowly seems to be falling to your boot heel!
Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on that stack! I may have a time limit on how long I have a free run of Italy... For a couple of reasons!

Enewald said:
Hehe, now you may have to fight caesar after the current civil war is over. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But italy looks cleaned, for a while...
You know, this is actually possible! I'll have to watch my back!

Lord E said:
Now that is one scary enemy force, 40 000 men. I fear that army will create a lot of trouble and you will need to use large forces to stop its advance. Then again if you can destroy it that might be the moment the rebellion needs to finally say it has control in the western parts of the empire…
Interesting to see a new consul, I agree with your guesses and I think it would be sensible to see this as a puppet of Caesar’s put into the position to take care of boring affairs while Caesar is out fighting and winning the civil war!
I'm not counting on more miracles like Picenum to carry me through! I'm thinking that was an isolated incident, and that I'm not likely to see repeats of that. Not on that scale, anyway.

Lord_Robertus said:
Caeser's rebellion crumbles, I can see it now
Keep hoping, Dear Sir! It could still happen... Truly!

WhisperingDeath said:
Your best defense against the "behemoth" army on the Dalmation coast may be time and distance. Remember the benefit of attrition!
Watch to see how prophetic you are...

stnylan said:
Balbus is clearly Caesar's lackey. Its a propaganda coup - "Look, I've not declared myself emperor have I?" :)
lol You're right -- suspiciously predictable!

rasmus40 said:
Italy seems destined to fall into Rebel hands, which should deprive the Loyalists of a lot of manpower. This could prove crucial later. How is their manpower anyway?

How you handle that 40k stack of doom will make or break this rebellion. Not only is it 40k, it also has a very good troop composition with only 2k militia.
You're right, on both counts. Or all three! I'm dreading meeting those guys. It's only a matter of time. Less time, if they choose to keep marching rather than stopping to take provinces.

Berrrie said:
Strange situation: you are sieging many provinces in the heart of Roman territory, while the loyalists are in return starting to siege your provinces (and probably many more in the near future with that 40k army). Who's gaining the upper hand now...?
Well, on sieges alone, I'd say I've got the upper hand, as I'm holding more sieges, and the provinces I'm sieging are more valuable (but also better defended...). But we'll see.

comagoosie said:
Also I heard another thing that if a general is out in the field fighting, that he has a smaller (or maybe no) chance of winning the next election, symbolising that the men in rome control all the power. That is until the general marches on Rome
I can't confirm that, for sure, but it sounds right. It would make sense, anyway.

Carinthium said:
It's only a matter of time before the Illyrian army attacks Italy. What are you going to do?
I'm going to have to marshall all my strength to meet them, and defeat them. Else all is lost!

Dear Folks, I'm hoping to get an update up tonight! Sorry for the long delay on this. Selected minutes for selected tasks, and more tasks than minutes!

But I'll try to get one done for you soon! Thanks for your readership!

Rensslaer

Here’s the situation in the Pyrenees region. Drusus is mounting an assault to take back Santones and erase that stain from southern Gaul, while Caesar’s uncle was hurrying to attack the Romans who were retreating from there.

Spain706.jpg

Agrippa and other smaller armies in Spain were attacking targets of opportunity, hoping that the 9 or 10 Roman legions gathered in Sedetani would stay put. Agrippa gambled that, with the enemy on both sides of him, he would not be inclined to attack either. He had a fear, though, that they would move, instead against his rear lines, which would force a confrontation.

I’m kind of worried at this point, because my army maintenance is eating me alive! I’ve intentionally overbuilt, because I’d be dead otherwise. But now my economy is about 6 months from going into the negative. I need to take Rome, soon, so that I can set up trade. Hopefully that will not only turn things around, but also disrupt the Roman economy seriously.

In Italy, the situation is entirely different from the other fronts. The Roman Loyalists are completely outnumbered, with scattered cohorts here and there, some of them protecting suddenly naked stolen provinces, and the overwhelming majority of troops being Caesar’s. The only concentration of Loyalists is in Gallia Cisalpina, besieging the Rebel capital. But Cinna would soon join with 8,000 fresh troops to the north, and come running back to defeat the enemy.

Italy706.jpg

In the wake of the victory at Picenum, Cotta and Pictor are leaving enough troops behind to maintain a siege of the provinces they pass, but moving north to attack the small Loyalist detachments who are holding the northern Italian provinces.

The worry, of course, is across the Adriatic, where 10 whole legions lurk, advancing slowly. They will have to be reckoned with, eventually, or all is lost. Meanwhile, it is important to maintain sieges, and defeat the remaining dregs of the Roman Army.

TwinTack.jpg

Agrippa moved his army forward, defeated a small garrison at Lusones, and besieged the city, staking out this advanced position as a challenge to the enemy.

The 8th Legion, meanwhile, (9 cohorts without a particularly noted leader) attacked at Ilercavones, and despite their clear advantage in numbers, fared badly at first. In fact, it was bloody, but quickly turned into a victory (albeit, costly).

Now, here’s a wild piece of news… Lucius Volcatius Tullus has raised a revolt in Lusitani!

WowLusitani.jpg

The sudden flood of intelligence we get from the rebellious commander informs us that there is one army of 26,000 men making its way toward northern Spain through Carpetani, under Quintus Tullius Cicero. Otherwise, Spain is protected only by small Roman detachments.

Continuing his magnificent, glorious success, Gen. Pictor destroyed another Roman army of 6,000 at Umbria – a second (third?) truly unexpected victory, which was entirely one-sided. He outnumbered the enemy by 2:1, but still, the casualties were (literally!) 6,000 to one.

Cleanup.jpg

Within just days, he destroys yet another Roman army! The 2,500 men they’d left to guard their prize at Bononia! Not stopping to besiege, or otherwise rest, Pictor charged north to attempt to raise the enemy siege at Paleoveneti before the massive reinforcements arrived there.

Meanwhile, the Iberian revolt is already paying off handsomely – 3,000 of the enemy were overwhelmed by the revolters. Now, their hard run to safety begins, as I do not expect they will be able to survive stationary until we can reach them. They’ll have to come to us, or perish. Already, an advance cohort of these men has been hunted down and destroyed at Vettones, just one province east of where the revolt started.

GaiusCaesarDonation.jpg

Even as we were preparing an offensive to end the siege at our capital, Gallia Cisalpina, Caesar’s allies there in town used his treasury to raise a volunteer army from within the city, and the surrounding lands. Against all odds, these untrained men rose up against the Loyalists and cost them dearly!

In western Gaul, Caesar’s uncle continued to wear away at the fleeing Loyalists who had once had such success there (north of Aquitani).

At Liguria, Gen. Cotta killed or captured 2,000 of the enemy, and mounted an assault to take back that city. Even in the north, where the Loyalists had seemed to have gained a foothold, all signs were looking up! That is, except for the several legions in Histri…

CaesarsLegion.jpg

The volunteer army at Gallia Cisalpina, after having inflicted serious casualties and exhaustion upon the enemy, retreated toward the north, where they would pass by Cinna’s relief expedition, en route. The timing could almost not have been better! Three weeks would pass, allowing the enemy to recover, but that’s better than could possibly be expected. Look at the battlefield screen, with the 6 cohorts on one side (largely heavy infantry – nice!), versus the holes they’re leaving in the enemy lines. The flanks, clearly, are still hurting from a previous attack by Cinna. Now, their center is badly bloodied, with 2,000 dead or maimed.

And… Wow! What happened in Histri? I looked just days before (in December) and saw 59 cohorts stacked there, and moving in ominously…

34From59.jpg

Only 34 cohorts now???!!! Had Gabinius been suffering massive attrition in the Illyrian mountains during winter? They had, certainly, been overconcentrated (overstacked), and were in Rebel territory (increased attrition). Had he, then, consolidated his cohorts, resulting in fewer of them?

From a strategic standpoint, this would be dumb for the AI to do this – if he consolidated, then he’s lost those 25 cohorts forever, and they’re hard to replace (he was basically carrying 59 half-full buckets, which he could potentially fill back up at some point to make 59 full buckets, but by consolidating he poured the “water” from 25 of those buckets into the 34 buckets, and left the other 25 buckets behind, never to be filled again). I suppose it’s a reasonable option for the AI to take, since it makes things easier to manage. It may be, however, a fatal choice for the Loyalists!

Ironically, if Gabinius had waited just one more week before moving out of Liburni (Roman Loyalist) into Histri (Rebel occupied), he might not have suffered but a fraction as much attrition on New Year’s Day!

Rensslaer: ...Ironically, if Gabinius had waited just one more week before moving out of Liburni (Roman Loyalist) into Histri (Rebel occupied), he might not have suffered but a fraction as much attrition on New Year’s Day!

i can certainly feel for that AI. i have made that mistake more than once ! ! :eek: i been reading along as best i can. just don't have the energy to post very often.

magnificent updates ! !
:cool:

I new that the incursion into Gaulia Cispania (sp?) would just be another blood bath for the Romans...
And keeping myself busy, eh? I believe you are doing much the same with 2 on the go! ;)

Last edited:
Great update Renns, and Congratulations on your ACA win!

Nice update! Very exciting stuff! The Loyalists are feeling the pain on all fronts. Any worry about further large armies emerging from North Africa through the Straits of Gibraltar? Also, what's the Rebel Navy like?

I finally had time to catch up. Since the last time I read this AAR, Loyalists have lost a lot of men. Good job.

PS: I find election of Balbus somewhat amusing, because technically only Senate could appoint him and Senate holds it's gatherings in Rome. So maybe it's Loyalist plot. :D

I worry about you economy. You mentioned it but briefly, yet it is intrical to running a nation. A strategy that I sometimes use is that if I have a large surplus of manpower I will mount a huge offensive. This in turn lowers my troop number, lowering their upkeep. Sometimes this pays off, getting me more money and gaining a province or two!

Whether or not this can truly turn your economy around, is anyone's guess, but I am sure that if you acquire Rome, then you will start making a profit.

The war continues. Progress is fine on some of the fronts, but it seems like you are starting to feel the costs of fielding such a large army. I think you should try to take Rome as quickly as possible to get increase your income as soon and as much as possible.
If the AI has done such a mistake with its army during the winter I guess you should be happy, because 34 cohorts will certainly be much easier to defeat than 59, let us hope we shall see more good news in the future :)

Now that things are looking up military (the attrition of the loyalists main force from 59 to 34 cohorts was really a Christmas present), the economy is in danger. This scenario doesn't seem to give you an easy fight (and luckily so for us, readers).

As the year 707 dawns…

In Spain, one of those rebel cohorts which came out of nowhere (gifts of the governor Lucius Volcatius Tullus) is scrapping with a larger force of velites and archers, and giving them hell!

Scrapping.jpg

Meanwhile, Admiral Dolabella is leading our rested and refitted navy out into the Mediterranean Sea in order to find elements of the Roman fleet, and destroy them piecemeal. He’s found some…

DolaBella.jpg

Gen. Pictor continued his winning streak with a decisive win over the 2,000 men Rome had left to guard the gateway to Illyria, at Paleoveneti.

Those rebels in Spain finally lost, but not without taking nearly 3 times their number with them. They retreat toward barbarian lands to the north, where other of these rogue cohorts will attempt to coalesce (it’s the most obvious place).

Tullius.jpg

The wards of our treasury continue to bother us with hand wringing and dire predictions. Nothing we can do about it, so why worry? We’re worrying about those Roman soldiers at the gates to our capital – if that goes, finances will be the least of our problems.

But, fortunately, a commotion draws our attention to the horizon, and we see that Gen. Cinna has returned, and has slammed into the rear of the Roman siege lines. This would be an exciting attack!

CinnaCrispus.jpg

Crispus’ units which were taking casualties were already tired, and were in the front rank. The only Roman cohorts not already terribly rattled were the archers, who would soon be exposed to direct attack! Look at that Roman front line! It’s fading away! Much of this, I am sure, is due to the fresh cavalry units – the ones I built with my precious and dwindling funds! – which have now arrived in combat with Cinna’s army.

Soon… ((sighs)) We have another brilliant victory, but it seems that this one is not entirely my doing (I mean, it was headed this direction, surely – they were NOT in good shape! – but the actual means of destruction…). When I reloaded a save game, the battle at Gallia Cisalpina was still underway. But, for whatever reason, in the savegame file, the enemy units had all been split into single cohorts and this is how they started the game. This is a bug which I thought I’d noticed in a couple previous savegames, but hadn’t thought much of it, because the AI soon reformed them into single units.

But in this case, when the enemy was forced to retreat – a genuine victory – the individual units were all forced by game rules to surrender. So I had a total victory over 10,000 enemy troops.

This is not 100% suspect. In many battles of this type, when the enemy broke (especially considering how badly their front lines were faring), the victories could be total. So, I might be able to claim this was a relatively realistic outcome, but not one which was quite fair under the game rules. Oh well… It hastens my victory some. Not much. I still have two enormous stacks waiting for me.

Those ragtag rebels in eastern Iberia (what would be Portugal on later maps) are causing yet more havoc!

WeirdFormation.jpg

This couple of cohorts engaged in January against a much larger force of Loyalists. However, they fared quite well through the first round of combat, inflicting serious casualties upon the 4 times more enemy than they took upon themselves.

And then, several more cohorts arrived from the west, and changed the situation. The die roll advantage I’d had continued, which only meant this battle started to become a bloodbath for the Loyalists!

That weird battlefield formation you see is because one of the earlier units was an archer (which you’ll see in the front rank), and then the reinforcements arrived (which are now located in the rear, but will move up).

The bad news from that last screenshot (and, interestingly, a negative consequence of reloading a savegame – I mean a game I’d saved, coming back to it, not an intentional “reload” for unfair game advantage) is that the enemy has stopped and assaulted the province of Histri, whereas before they were attempting to move out of that province (under the current patch, the enemy’s movement is arrested when you save the game and reload).

Finally, the city of Samnium falls to our long siege! We assign a new governor there.

At sea, Dolabella has found more of the enemy fleet, and is attempting to do harm to them, though the enemy under Cicero seems to be faring relatively well despite being outnumbered.

NavalSamnium.jpg

Meanwhile, the enemy was able to raise a legion of 6 cohorts from inside the city of Rome, and they sallied forth…

Vettones.jpg

Only to be slaughtered by the veteran, and far more numerous, Caesarian forces (the Romans went straight into combat with low morale against a superior force – they didn’t stand a chance).

The rogue cohorts in Vettones, having gathered their strength together as they fled, were able to defeat a far larger force, killing 5 of the 7,000 Loyalists, versus only 2,000 of their own. Still, even as this victory cheers us, this makes their escape to friendly lines all the more unlikely.

Dolabella, eventually, sunk 4 of the 6 ships he faced, for the loss of none of his own. And then, moving south into the Mediterranean, he encountered more. The naval battle in the Sinus Tarentinus started out as just 2 ships against our dozen or more, but this quickly built as more Roman naval squadrons arrived….

MoreNavy.jpg

The fight was hard on both sides, but Dolabella eventually pulled out a victory with one of the enemy sunk, and the others badly weakened. He withdrew back toward home waters, intending to rest his navy again.

Roma88.jpg

Ignore that 88% in the Outliner for Rome -- I had a terrible accident where I accidentally left my game unpaused while I was off doing other stuff, and by the time I got back, 2 years had passed, and the Loyalists had reasserted themselves in my absence. I restarted with the most recent save game, and most of what happened after was repeated. But not the 88%.

Ilergetes hung in the balance, as you can see from the siege screen. We were hoping that reinforcements would arrive to rescue them, but… How likely was that?