• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This battle bodes ill for the Loyalist scum. Although, sadly, they have more cannon fodder where that came from, eh?

Meanwhile, to the north…

Meanwhile.jpg

The heavy infantry at the center of both armies’ lines is mismatched. The enemy holds numerical superiority, but the Rebel infantry has a +12 net advantage in Discipline (+19 vs. +7), a +1 advantage in Offense (nothing, really), but a +7 advantage in Defense. These seemingly small numbers are apparently having a big difference in the combat tables. Despite the enemy numerical advantage, and the enemy advantage in die roll, they’re still taking serious casualties! Almost as much as our own.

This contest, however, is not worth going another bad round. Both sides lost around 5,000 dead, and Cinna is forced to withdraw to Gallia Cisalpina.

The Battle of Picenum continues…

LongOdds.jpg

By the time Roman Longinus begins to gain a handle on the tactical situation, he has virtually nothing left to fight with! And, despite his die roll, he’s still taking the vast majority of the casualties (more than 3:1).

The cavalry cohorts Pictor started with (which had been through an earlier battle) are injured, but the new cavalry sent by Caesar could go another lap! Of the only 6 units of Longinus’ front-line which still contain more than 300 men, one of them is an archer cohort!

Exploit.jpg

In the end, Longinus’ entire force (having been reduced below the 10:1 ratio) was annihilated. Not a man escaped death or capture.

Now, I must admit (this is the battle where the “quirk” came into play), things were changed A LOT by my unintentional exploit, and that certainly lessens my honor at having won it. My men had an extra week or two to recover from their combat against the rebels. They had another 1st of the month to recover manpower (but so did the enemy, who would actually have recovered 3 times as many men as I did!). They were not forced into a situation which caused TWO armies of less than 10:1 odds were overwhelmed and forced to surrender (despite the fact that, together, they were greater than 10:1 and would have survived as a combined army).

However, what restores my honor somewhat is this: The greatest impact, altogether, on this victory is not anything related to the exploit (other than one day’s timing). It is that just after my army’s annihilation would have happened (pre-quirk), my cavalry arrived from Caesar and completely turned the tables. This new force of 9,000 cavalry somewhat evened the numerical odds. But, more than that, their unique advantages (thanks to my chosen National Ideas) just dominated the enemy and cost her tremendous casualties.

Honor? That is the very basis on what Juluis is trying to restore. Rome's Honor is suppose to be what people look up to... blah. blah. I am just giving you a hard time. ;)

Anyways, great to see you win the epic battle, and look at the popularity gain. ~30 :eek:

Wow, 30k romans dead! :eek:

That army does not need any reinforcements... :p

Now take the italian provinces, so romans do not get that much manpower anymore. :rolleyes:

But they have this nice word, auxilia... :eek:o

I don't think anything can lessen the honor from defeating such an army, and inflicting such casualties!

Has this made a big change in the strategic sense? Or was it a drop in the ocean?

Seems to have been a good battle to withdraw from. The situation in Italy looks fairly solid despite it.

Wow, another great victory. The Loyalists just lost quite a lot of men that will never be recovered. Caesar must be rubbing his hands in glee at his generals' victories.

Almost 30k republican soldiers killed compared to some 2,200 of your own, talk about an overhwelming victory! I should think that would go a long way towards leveling the playing field (at least in terms of manpower) for the immediate future.

Berrrie said:
If this continues Caesar's main threat will be his own generals!
True! But what are they going to do? Start a Civil War?! :rofl:

Actually, yes, this is a concern -- generals switching sides -- but my extremely popular generals FOR NOW also have high Loyalty.

I'll keep an eye on this. :D

Rensslaer

Talk about an overwhelming victory! This certainly is the most overwhelming I've ever seen on Pdox forums. :)

Mark the Roman calendar with the date for the Battle of Picenum! History shall remember this moment, always! Hail Caesar!

Looking at the current trenchwar you seem to have happened up in, I would - in your position - aim at defending the italian provinces I'd already taken and concentrate my offensive on Greece or Spain (pref. Greece as it is richer and smaller)

To win the war economically, instead of manpower-wise. Manpower does very little in civil wars as armies tend to pop-pop-pop-pop for both sides a little everywhere, and you rarely ever tend to produce any troops (you just can't afford having the pop-ups and your own produced, purely maintenance-wise) and reinforcing is too slow to have any actual effect.

However, the more provinces your enemy holds, the more pop-pop's he gets. So take his less defended areas, and he'll be vulnerable!

Note: These are no gamplay facts, this is just my own experience from my own civil-war AAR, which I think I succeeded rather well in, so maybe my opinion might be of some worth somewhere, somehow.

Also, generals tend to change sides more frequently from a bankrupt side, and less frequently to it.

Edit: Observe underlined areas. In the early 20th century germans had names for these doctrines. They called them "Blitzkrieg" and "Schleiffen".

Then again, maybe you already have a working plan, pref. involving parachutes and and SMG's.

Last edited:
Well, Riptide, as he is REBELS he won't have the aid of what... 50 other countries? So...

You do the math.
The strategy.
Whatever.

Great work. You have slaughtered the senators and their silly followers, wonderful work by Caesar and his loyal followers . It certainly was a slaughter and you might say that you used a game exploit, but that still doesn’t alter the fact that you won the battle and secured that frontline for now. Maybe if you are able to capture the city of Rome soon you will get the upper hand in Italy and forces the enemy back towards the sea…

Wow, I've NEVER seen such a decisive victory in EU: Rome :eek: amazing feat! I applaud you sir! The casualties are one sided on the scale of Cannae almost ;)