• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Impressive how you could beat those enormous mongol hordes. Here's hoping they have many more succession crises!
Thanks. Mercenaries are more expensive than I thought, though! Burned through my entire gold stockpile =/

You are doing much better than I am in my AAR! Hopefully I'll be able to catch up in a few decades though.
Keep going, you are doing fine yourself. Can not win everything.

Herbert said:
Well done!

I am curious on why you are expanding in the Balkans, though.

Thanks. I am expanding there because:
1. Gain a vassal/buffer - increases my forcelimits.
2. Eventually Austria and Bohemia will get their act together, and retake the entire region. I would rather they did NOT! (makes goal 6 a lot harder) (Bohemian/Austrian snake to the Pacific? NO thanks!)
3. I will have to border them eventually as Byzantines anyways.
4. Out of necessity, because they reached Aquilieian lands after I annexed them.
5. Extra vassal income without increase research cost.
6. Gain experience fighting hordes. I rarely have to fight them, and I have a mega Timurids again to deal with soon. I doubt they will collapse anytime soon.

Update coming soon.

As I promised.. The stato del Mar:

1IcanenactthisnicedecisionbutIonlyhave67monthlyincomestrange.jpg

With my new peace and wealth from my limited trade, and while I was still not very large, I decided now was a good time to move capitol:

2Imovemycapitol.jpg

Hire an Artist:

3at-1stabilityitisimportanttogetanartistincludingchancefor2stabevent.jpg

While I was at it, might as well convert culture too while I was dawdling about:

4GULPeatthestability.jpg

3rd NI, QftNW:

5nextideaQftNW.jpg

Madeira and Cape Verde not colonized yet. Remember I still have Oran? well, I am close enough to colonize them both!

6ItakeMadeira.jpg

Might as well convert religion. The only way to convert without stability and foreign relations reduction is to allow yourself to be force converted:

7wartaxesandconversion.jpg

I find some weird people across the sea with the same color flag as Venice!! Only Venice is allowed these colors! And these people..building lvl 1 forts.. how dare they!:

8buildingFortlvl1omg.jpg

My first "loss" hehe:

9GULPnowweareorthodox.jpg

I take the Atlantic sea province and the inland one that borders both Gulf of Mexico provinces. I am hoping for a boundary dispute on the sea to expedite my colonization:

10gainingmyfirstterritoryinthenewworld.jpg

My nice leader dies, and I have to elect another. It turns out to be a real dud:

11Newleadermyotherdied.jpg

The Ottomans get what's coming to them, after all those terribly timed DoW's earlier while I was fighting the Golden Horde...

12itoldyoutheirtimewouldcome.jpg

Give me my shizzle:

13peacedealwithOttomans.jpg

Unfortunately, I gain a new border with the GH in Bulgaria...but the favor is even more with me now:

14Thiswillmakethewaraloteasier.jpg

Land techs 12/13/14/15 are always cheap for me, no matter what country I am playing...I have always wondered why!:

15Thatisquitecheap.jpg

Europe as we know it. My military lvl 9 doge fails to produce a genius, but he is ok, and will be put to a lot of action! Republics are awesome, their leaders are expendable.

16EuropeatthebeginningofaGHBEATDOWN.jpg

Thanks for reading, comments welcome. I hope it's ok I don't write too much, pictures paint a clearer picture, I think.

Did you just double post that last post? :D

Great work though! Btw is that Castille in Sweden?

Did you just double post that last post? :D

Great work though! Btw is that Castille in Sweden?

Did I double post?

Anyways, yes. Britain, Castile, Burgundy scattered in Scandinavia. Quite a smattering. Also, Notice the British territory in Africa! How silly.
Cascading alliances is really killing this game!

Also, my war with GH not going quite as well as I was planning =/ THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM AGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!1

Now you just need to stomp out Ottomans, and then you're set for remaking Byz :) And yes, GH normally Blob fairly well :) But there really isn't alot to do about it except keep killing them ofcourse :) Looking forward to seeing you're massive Vassal empire(s) in the Balkans!!! It's always good for a bit of money :)

Ambitious, but plenty doable. Good "Luck"

Now you just need to stomp out Ottomans, and then you're set for remaking Byz :) And yes, GH normally Blob fairly well :) But there really isn't alot to do about it except keep killing them ofcourse :) Looking forward to seeing you're massive Vassal empire(s) in the Balkans!!! It's always good for a bit of money :)
This is the idea.

Might I suggest "Nobody beats the Byz" as the title of the entry where you change

OK!
Ambitious, but plenty doable. Good "Luck"

The battle for the new world will be quite intense I think. But right now the Lombards are annoying me and Austria looks like it wants to eat me... :(

Did you ally Austria?

Good luck again! :)

I hate allying AI countries, because I always get dragged into retarded wars against opponents who will most likely destroy me. By the time I am big enough to not need protection against a rival, I do not need alliances.
Thanks for your support!
greek Venice?
those AIs are rich in VH !

They are not as rich as you might think. They are busy building province buildings and everything! The only modification I am using is that level 1-4 buildings are not destroyed upon conquest, core or not.

What are the conditions for forming BYZ? Du you need Thracia?

Of course!! To restore Byz:

Code:
country_decisions = {

restore_byzantine_empire = {
		potential = {
			NOT = { exists = BYZ }
			NOT = { tag = HRE }
			primary_culture = greek
			religion = orthodox
		}
		allow = 
		{
			owns = 151	# Thrace
			owns = 149	# Edirne
			owns = 147	# Salonica
			owns = 148	# Macedonia
			owns = 146	# Athens
			owns = 145	# Morea
			owns = 1773	# Achea
			owns = 316	# Bithynia
			owns = 317	# Bursa
			owns = 318	# Smyrna
			owns = 1853	# Kozani
			war = no
		}
	  effect = {
			BYZ = {
				add_core = 151	# Thrace
				add_core = 149	# Edirne
				add_core = 147	# Salonica
				add_core = 148	# Macedonia
				add_core = 146	# Athens
				add_core = 145	# Morea
				add_core = 1773	# Achea
				add_core = 316	# Bithynia
				add_core = 317	# Bursa
				add_core = 318	# Smyrna
				add_core = 163	# Crete
				add_core = 164	# Naxos
				add_core = 320	# Rhodes
				add_core = 321	# Cyprus
				add_core = 322	# Anatolia
				add_core = 323	# Konya
				add_core = 319	# Antalya
				add_core = 324	# Karaman
				add_core = 325	# Kastamon
				add_core = 326	# Angora
				add_core = 327	# Adana
				add_core = 332	# Mus
				add_core = 328	# Sinope
				add_core = 330	# Trebizon
				add_core = 285	# Kaffa
				add_core = 142	# Corfu
				add_core = 143	# Albania
				add_core = 144	# Janina
				add_core = 1765	# Nis
				add_core = 150	# Bulgaria
				add_core = 1764	# Burgas
				add_core = 159	# Silistria
				add_core = 1846	# Yazgod
				add_core = 1848	# Hamid
				add_core = 1853	# Kozani			}	
			random_owned = {
				limit = { culture = greek }
				base_tax = 1
			}
			random_owned = {
				limit = { culture = greek }
				base_tax = 1
			}
			centralization_decentralization = -2
			prestige = 0.1
			change_tag = BYZ
			BYZ = {
				capital = 151 # Constantinople
			}
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}

}

Greek culture, orthodox, bunch of provinces, and have to be super, mega awesome! :cool:

Update coming soon.

I love how it says NOT = { tag = HRE } - as if someone who just formed the HRE will go through the trouble of culture shifting to Greek culture, become Orthodox and form the Byzantine Empire. (Both italics are rather, hm, infeasible for the HRE...)

On the other hand, if someone does go through that trouble, why not reward him?

I love how it says NOT = { tag = HRE } - as if someone who just formed the HRE will go through the trouble of culture shifting to Greek culture, become Orthodox and form the Byzantine Empire. (Both italics are rather, hm, infeasible for the HRE...)

Have you considered that it's fairly plausible to force convert the HRE electors to Orthodoxy as BYZ and get elected Emperor and form HRE that way? :p

Have you considered that it's fairly plausible to force convert the HRE electors to Orthodoxy as BYZ and get elected Emperor and form HRE that way? :p

...and then after becoming the HRE, reforming the Byzantine Empire again? Sounds... interesting.

I can not become HRE because... I am republic?

Really good AAR, herrhals, I'm enjoying it!

Thank you!

Great idea for an AAR,I'm subscribing.

P.S. I like how Montenegro owns almost the entire balkans but not....you know their homeprvoince Zeta :p

Thank you for your support! Well Montenegro's little problem is solved soon :)

I am a republic, and will stay a republic. My last goal is to disband the HRE. I have started to convert some idiots to Orthodoxy.

...and then after becoming the HRE, reforming the Byzantine Empire again? Sounds... interesting.

not happening xD You can not be the HRE and then become Byzantine again. Code will not allow it.

Looks good, hope you make it! Good luck :)

Thanks!

This next update has been really crazy. Stupid Lombards!