• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can not become HRE because... I am republic?

I know you can't become HRE. I was commenting on the code, and thinking of the hypothetical situation for which that line (NOT = { tag = HRE }) could be.

Looking forward to Lombard craziness! :D

Holy moly this is tough!

I love a good challenge. This is really crazy, and I will admit, that I have sweated a little bit during this next update. My worst fears come true, I get backstabbed, everyone and their mothers are revolting. for 30 years, my War exhaustion did not go below 5... AND MY LEADERS HAVE SUCKED! MAJORLY! For 30 years, no leader had a stat above 6 in any category, and mostly all 3's!!! BullSh! But, yet, I continue. Why? I do not know. I am having fun...most of the time!

So, without further ado, I will pick up where I left off last time...

We start off with a new war against the infamous horde. We are off to a rolling start.
Golden horde: SUCK IT!

1ThiswillbeaquickwarTheyaredead.jpg

SUCK IT SOME MORE:

2timetoconsolidateandfinishthemin5years.jpg

The Venetian national decision. The problem now is I have no missionaries to convert all my wrong religion provinces. Will also hurt my colonization...but worth it. The requirement is less that -2 inno/narrow..

3ThelastVenetianspecificnationaldecisionNowIcanformByzinpeace.jpg

I use the peace to gain a few more Ottoman provinces:

4Stealsomemoreprovinces.jpg

Mine now. Byzantine resurrection is close at hand:
5IfundedsometurkishpatriotsinKaramaninanattempttoflipthelastcoastalprovince.jpg

With peace, I can also focus a bit on overseas adventures:

6nowIcanfocusalittleonthewest.jpg

The war starts up with the GOLDEN horde again, but NOW THE BLASTED LOMBARDS BACKSTAB ME ALONG WITH HALF OF THE EMPIRE!!!! OMG Needless to say, I was caught completely off-guard. They didn't even cancel military access, they ate 5 stab hit!:

7OMFG.jpg

luckily, I get off easy from Burgundy. My Italian provinces had mostly all fallen:

8IgetoffeasyfromBurgundy.jpg

I was able to get off quite easy from Milan actually once I was able to get my act together. Needless to say, is that if I had been better prepared, I would have had better time of it:

9IfIwasalittlebetterprepared.jpg

After the war, I grab a few more provinces from Ottomans

10Icontinuethebeatdown.jpg

some provinces. All wrong culture and religion, but I have so many revolts anyways, that a few more couldn't possibly hurt!
11Givemenow.jpg

While I am messing with the GH and Ottomans, the MILANESE MESS WITH ME AGAIN! LEAVE ME ALONE, K?
This time they will pay!
12Leavemealoneomfg.jpg

What now?! SUCK IT GENOA!

125whatnow.jpg

ANDDDD.. SUCK IT MILAN!

13whatnow.jpg

And now my 50 billionth war with GH, I was able to take a few provinces and get a nice reversal of fortune. I think the tribute system is broken, because I have not seen any extra money coming in... Oh well.

15Aftertakingalotoftheirprovinceswegetanicedeal.jpg

fourth NI. I am now up to 3.75 colonists a year hehe.

16Timetogetserious.jpg

All this time, I was waiting for some way to attack Morea who owns achaea and morea provinces, but I found a good enough way to do it. Cost a bunch of infamy, but I was low at that time. I needed to do it. I also got to mess with Milan some too!

17takingAchaeaandMorea.jpg

I take my provinces, and conquer another Milanese province to satisfy a mission. I reach land tech 18 and new units open up:

18landtech18andIgetcoolnewunitstooutfitmyarmy.jpg

This is the end of this update. I know the ending was not particularly exciting.

I am waiting for infamy to drop. My leaders are stinking majorly in the diplomacy department (as well as all the other departments, actually). I am one province away from reforming BYZ!! I will dedicate a whole update to charts, overviews and the like. My colonial empire is growing fast, but it is draining my treasury quickly. Once I reform and take my cores, I will be richer to focus on colonizing. I have lots of competition in the colonies. I need to find out how to attack GB and Castile to make them give up their colonies. All I know, is that I need to build ships! My next update will be very clear in my situation at the moment I reform to BYZ!

Sorry, I realize this post might be a little confusing between all the wars. I had 3 wars with Milan, 3 with Ottomans, and a billion with GH of course.

Thanks for reading. I need to breathe!

19World1532.jpg

My worst fear that I was talking about is that Bohemia is going to blob all the way to the Pacific! I was hoping to avoid this, but I missed out on blocking them out by 1 provinces! There was nothing I could do apart from cheating, and I don't cheat.

Awesome update! Looks like the Ottomans are down to one or two provinces (Thrace and Zeta?), so you can annex them very soon. Maybe you can blob all the way through golden horde russia and then release a vassal to keep the bohemians from going there.

Awesome update! Looks like the Ottomans are down to one or two provinces (Thrace and Zeta?), so you can annex them very soon. Maybe you can blob all the way through golden horde russia and then release a vassal to keep the bohemians from going there.

Thrace and Albania, actually. The problem I have is this: I can either use my colonists in the new world and save more problems later there and let Bohemia go crazy in Asia, because my goals do not really include Asia at all. Colonists are a premium.

Really enjoying following this AAR. :cool:

Good progress although that Austro-Hungarian Empire is starting to look worrying.

Bohemia looked like it wanted to eat me alive:

1SHIT.jpg

Luckily, throughout the game, I had kept Austria's relations up, for just this reason!

2PHEW.jpg

Government 19 opens up administrative republic, and I immediately switch:

3Administrativerepublic.jpg

My infamy is still a bit high, but not red, so I am ok. Ottomans need to die now, I do not like to look at them:

4ThefinalbattleforByzantium.jpg

The the full annexation of Ottomans, my balkan vassal will get Albania, and I will keep Thrace... and................................!1

5Iwillleaveyouherehehe-1.jpg

I will leave you hanging a bit now :)

Excellent job so far!!! Now to expand your Colonial Empire!!! Take out the Indian tripes and the nations in Middle and Southern America! :) And a good idéa when colonizing is to keep the number of colonies to around 5-6, it should be enough to keep you're economy going with a minimum of minting.

D'awww, leavin' us hanging. That'll get you a long way though, once you've formed Byzantium there's a slew of free cores awaiting you and fun decisions at the end of that core road. It's just a pity you won't get the "Crush Venice" mission. ;P

Nobody beats the byzzz!!!

There was a request that I title this section "Nobody Beats the BYZ". The song is...interesting, but the title, is at least fitting for this update.
"Nobody beats the Byz"

Like a Phoenix the Byzantines rise up. This update is solely a status update; a full overview of everything. I usually have a more coherent and methodical approach to everything, but the nature of this challenge proves too much for my methodical approaches. The screen shots were taken a little after reforming to Byz, so I could regain my cores to give a more correct view of the state of affairs. So, here we go.

Firstly, we want to show the decision to reform our government as a great re-birthing of a dormant Phoenix, 50 years extinct:
1LikeaPhoenixrising.jpg

My finances compared to the other countries. I am first, but it is a very shaky first. All the colonials are my enemies (due to heavy native incitement spy missions). Hopefully I can expand the lead within the next 200 years.

2Income.jpg

Technological comparison. I am close to top, but still not quite as much.

3Techs.jpg

Military strength comparison. Note: Bohemia. Ouch! :

4Militarystrength.jpg

Naval strength comparison. Here is where it gets interesting. Notice how few ships the colonials have. GB, Portugal and Castile have just finished duking it out in open warfare for 10 years, and the effects are noticeable. Castile and Portugal are out of ships, making the colonial wars much easier. GB will be problematic still:

5Navalstrength.jpg

Next up, colonies. I have a lot. There are more the ledger does not show. Around 5 more. It is painful for my finances, but it is worth it now to cordon off as much as I can as fast as I can:

6Ihavealotofcolonies.jpg

This is where it gets painful. I have a lot of wrong religion, wrong culture provinces. Turkish is an accepted culture now at least. My -3 inno/narrow slider is preventing missionary gain. I will conquer Judea and Rome to alleviate this. Most of my provinces have revolt risk:

7OUCHNoncoresaremostlycolonies.jpg

Here we have an overview. 4 Vassals : Ferarra, Naples, Sicily, Montenegro. Max prestige, etc.

8Overview.jpg

Finances. They are looking quite slim with all the colonies. As you will note in the next picture is that my military maintenance is all the way because of my wars. The MM slider will be lowered soon.

9Finances.jpg

Military:

10Military.jpg

Sliders and NI's:

11NIandsliders.jpg

Decisions. I enact the theme system:

12decisions.jpg

AND FINALLY, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. THE PICTURES YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR...

DRUM ROLLLLLL

13Themomentyouhavewaitedfor.jpg

14Thecolonies.jpg

Notice, how I have built my colonies. My objectives are to eventually own all North America (including Caribbean). I am trying to gain as many of the coastal provinces as possible. Taking the islands will be tricky because I cannot get the colonialism CB on those. At 4 infamy a piece, I will have to take them piecemeal. I have been quite successful at keeping the colonists at bay. With max plutocracy, I get 2 spies a year which I use to incite a lot of natives. Luckily, the natives of North America are quite aggressive and numerous which makes it a lot easier. Once I seize all the sea territories, I can colonize a bit slower to let my finances rest a bit. I will not go to narrowminded again...before anyone suggests that.

For the future:

With the first 2 of 6 goals accomplished, I need to look for my conquests.

-I need to find ways of lowering my revolt risks. As a Republic, and with many wrong religion/cultured provinces, revolt risk is disturbingly high, even in territories with core. Without tolerance and accepted culture reductions (described below), my only RR reduction is from stability and -.5 from being a republic. I need those missionaries. Sooner, rather than later, I will pick bill of rights as a NI for the sole purpose of reducing RR. It will also give me a nice CB on large targets that need to be cut at the legs...

-I will need to keep expanding in Asia, Italy and Egypt. I will pick up 3 holy cities which will GREATLY help out my situation. My tolerance for heretics is 0 and and my tolerance for heathens is -2. I am not too worried about the heretics, but the heathens need to be converted. This will culture flip Turkish provinces and boost income greatly. This goal will be quite quick and painless, now that the Timurids are out of the picture. I will pick ecumenism as a national idea to increase tolerance. This is a nice republic after all... but the heathens just cause to much disruption of our republic!

-I will continue expanding in the new world. I will need to find a non-gamey way of taking GB and Castile out of the colony game for a long time. This will include many large navies, tons of troops for all those islands, and an invasion of Spain and Britain. I gain 4.15 colonists/year !!!

-I will be building all trade buildings in all provinces to boost trade and production income. Now that I am full free trade, I can begin to expand my trade. Many of the Europeans embargo me (happens a lot as a merchant republic), but the Asian CoT's are rich, so I will bumble out there. I will be looking to take the Indian trade decision, and so on.

-I will not be moving overseas for a while until the majority begin to core, and also because I want to assimilate (change culture to mine) colonies that I did not manage to steal before they became cities.

-I want to colonize SE Asia and China, because it is rich.

-As soon as I can, I will take the national Idea "Revolution and counter revolution" to declare war on all the electors and the Emperor in the attempt to dissolve the HRE, which is the last goal.

Ambitious? The hard part is over, now I can focus on colonizing without worrying too much about Europe, as my European holdings are secure. Having an Austrian neighbor will help with that.

OMFG
I just realized now that I forgot to formalize scales and weights!! hellige scheisse!

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

Last edited:
herrhals said:
I will pick up 3 holy cities which will GREATLY help out my situation

I am a newbie to EU3 and don't undertstand what constitutes a holy city and how this will help your cause. Could you explain this please?

How do you get to 4.15 colonists a year? That's a lot!

Also, great update! Rome rises anew!

I am a newbie to EU3 and don't undertstand what constitutes a holy city and how this will help your cause. Could you explain this please?

The 3 holy cities are Rome, Jerusalem and Mecca. They give you... 1% Prestige and 0.5 Missionaries pr year, so they are very useful :) if you lagging Prestige and/or missionaries.

Keep up the good work, make The Empire strong again!

Rome (for non catholics) (remember I am orthodox)
Judea for all
Mecca for all
All give +1/2 missionary growth/year, and +1 prestige.
I will also be getting the pentarchy modifier with the conquest and conversion of 5 cities around the middle east. Increases missionary gain and prestige I think..

How do you get to 4.15 colonists a year? That's a lot!
Also, great update! Rome rises anew!

Orthodox = 1
+horde border max = 1.65
+Coastal CoT = .1
+colonial ventures = 1
+thassalocracy = .5
=== 4.25
So, actually, I get 4.25 a years :cool:
The 3 holy cities are Rome, Jerusalem and Mecca. They give you... 1% Prestige and 0.5 Missionaries pr year, so they are very useful :) if you lagging Prestige and/or missionaries.

Keep up the good work, make The Empire strong again!

Thank you.

What is wrong with theme system? Why does change names twice?
By the way, remember, you will also a get a missionary bonus from Pentarchy event.

I do not know what is wrong with the theme system decision. It also does not rename Istanbul back to Constantinople :( I guess the assumption was that It was never lost it. hehe.
The pentarchy will be a little tough to get because Alexandria is in the grips of Castile's Afrikageddon. Castile's turn for a smackdown is coming up shortly.

Nice job!

On the Theme system - it changes both the PROVINCE name and the CITY name, thus why it has two name changes listed per province.

Very good! I think you're doing the right thing with the colonists. The other way of stopping Blobemia is of course to make them give up territory to you or to vassals, disconnecting them from the Golden Horde. Seeing their army size, I can see why you don't however. After you have discovered all the coastal provinces you need (and gained a core or two in America), perhaps you can take the stab hit and exchange QftNW to one of the ideas you mentioned? That might be a good decision.

Nice job!

On the Theme system - it changes both the PROVINCE name and the CITY name, thus why it has two name changes listed per province.

That makes sense with the theme; I forgot about the city names as well. Who actually pays attention to that anyways?
Very good! I think you're doing the right thing with the colonists. The other way of stopping Blobemia is of course to make them give up territory to you or to vassals, disconnecting them from the Golden Horde. Seeing their army size, I can see why you don't however. After you have discovered all the coastal provinces you need (and gained a core or two in America), perhaps you can take the stab hit and exchange QftNW to one of the ideas you mentioned? That might be a good decision.

Actually, you do bring up a very good point. I have a bit more exploring to do along the west coast of North America and India and SE Asia and China. After that, I will switch out that NI for something more useful.
I am glad you are enjoying.

P.s. Bohemia has been taken care of ;)

That makes sense with the theme; I forgot about the city names as well. Who actually pays attention to that anyways?

Actually, you do bring up a very good point. I have a bit more exploring to do along the west coast of North America and India and SE Asia and China. After that, I will switch out that NI for something more useful.
I am glad you are enjoying.

P.s. Bohemia has been taken care of ;)

If you've allready taken care of Bohemia, give us an update so we can see too :D :p