• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have a Happy New Year!

...And let's all make some spiffing new year resolutions!

Mine is "...to Beware of the Hun in the Sun", and also to post congratulatory and encouraging replies to El Pip's AAR updates every week! :rofl:

Chance would be a fine thing, but we can only dream of what tomorrow might bring ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've not read this for over a year, I think I'll read it right from the start again :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just read it through (mostly :p ) and I have to say "jolly spiffing!" You've inspired me to return to AARland, good sir! :D

Keep going!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hmmm... Let me put on my Pippy hat (do not EVER ask how it was constructed) for a moment and project an answer:

"In progress, yes. Nearing completion? You'll just have to badger me more assertively!"

Vann

• 1Like
Reactions:
Pippy, the LibrAARy says that this AAR is dead :eek: You have to prove them wrong, also I can't earn twigs without updates to comment on ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
scubadoobie2 - "Laughing" Joe Stalin, well he found it funny, is watching the machinations of the evil capitalist west with a mixture of joy and fear. Joy because capitalists fighting each other always cheers him up, fear because the British aren't as weak and decadent as he expected. More on him later though.

Derek Pullem - On Italy you are correct, politics and espionage not military might will be Britain's approach. On the French not intervening over the Rhineland so won't over Austria.. well all I can say is that the Rhineland Crisis won't be historic and that was a dangerous assumption. ;)

Maj. von Mauser - I can't put in screenshots, it would reveal that none of the battles happen as I say they did! :eek:o Seriously, given that the AI normally runs away after the 4 hour limit I have to combine several battles and port strikes to make one sensible sized battles. The results are all correct but what I report as one fight was probably two or three, sorry if that has shattered illusions.

C&D - Your assuming allying with Germany is a good thing, which it may well not be in the future. Smuts is looking at a crushing victory in the elections everywhere but the most hard-core old Boer strongholds, that's five years till Hertzog (or his electoral stooge) even have an election to contest, if a week is a long time in politics five years is forever.

The Dutch are looking on nervously at Southern Europe, expect those nerves to skyrocket as they find Germany on the move. :eek:

RAFspeak - My New Year's resolution is to update more, which I've managed perfectly but not in this AAR. Hey ho. :(

Alexus - What better praise could you want than inspiring someone back to writing? Nothing (bar a literary award with a big cash prize :D )

madsb - Half a Rhineland update is written but I'm not happy with it. It may need to be scrapped and started from scratch, that is in fact the main reason for the delay. I just can't get anything down I'm happy with.

Vann the Red - The price you pay for a Pippy Hat is extortionate, and I'm not talking financially! :eek:

Incognitia - Badgers are nice, providing me with some more free time to write would be better. :)

Jalex - Dead? What an insult. Let's go burn the library down in an act of angry mob violence! Or not.

This isn't dead but as I said I've been staring at the Rhineland update for a while. Due to my struggle to get some decent words down I've decided to completely re-plot the entire AAR, thus what was a small twist on a fairly standard Rhineland Crisis is now going to be something different. It's a possibly excessive reaction to writer's block but it works for me.

Hopefully an update this weekend, but I have promised that before.

Reactions:
Dying for Vienna instead of Danzig ! Ouch, that will put one hell of a crimp in Hitler's reputation amongst his generals, if the Allies intervene to stop the Anschluss - or even worse, the Rhineland Reoccupation, which they told him would bring war.

I wonder which side Mussolini will jump on, if Paris and London tell Hitler he has crossed the Rubicon.

:D

Reactions:
AF, of course, well knows that the answer is 'whichever he thinks will win'.

My chapeau aside, Pippy, how was my Pippy impression?

Vann

• 1Like
Reactions:
Atlantic Friend - Mussolini has to consider three things; Firstly, as you say, where to jump. Secondly, if Italy is still capable of jumping in any meaningful way. Finally, and most importantly for him, is can he stay in power if he jumps, regardless of which side he picks. I suspect his worry may be that even if he picks the winning side is Italy really prepared to get involved in another foreign adventure? Or will he use his preferred plan of waiting till it appears one side has clearly won, then jumping in to claim some spoils.

Vann the Red - As AF says, there's a difference between short term appearances and the long term result. That said he wasn't alone in making that call in 1940 so his judgement isn't that shoddy.

And your El Pip impersonation was unnervingly accurate. Am I that predictable? :eek:

Right, the Rhineland update (Part 1) will follow in minutes!

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm not updating until you do, Pip old boy ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter XXXIX: Unintended Consequences.
Chapter XXXIX: Unintended Consequences.

For all the words expended on the Rhineland Crisis two areas regularly escape discussion and, in many ways, they are the most fundamental; Why Germany felt the need to reoccupy the Rhineland and why the German leadership chose the date they did. The first part is relatively simple, it was a matter of national embarrassment that an entire region of the country was off limits due to the dictat of a foreign power. Even though there was no immediate need for troops to be stationed on the border, Franco-German relations weren't that bad, the fact they weren't allowed to be there was reason enough for many to demand the re-militarisation. To this long-standing desire for re-occupation must be added two additional more immediate reasons. Firstly the humiliation felt in Berlin over the collapse of the Anglo-German Naval Agreement. The end of the talks effectively forced Germany to 'officially' maintain a Versailles treaty sized navy or openly defy Britain over an area of vital British interest. While such a risk may have been taken before the Abyssinian War, the change in British foreign policy that had occurred since the election made any such move very risky. Thus while pride demanded a major diplomatic coup to re-establish Germany's credentials as a Great Power, common sense dictated that it not be in a area vital to Britain.

The second factor was more logical yet less tangible, the need to assert the German sphere of influence. The leaked ANGA text had alarmed much of Scandinavia, in particular the 'Baltic Dominance' clauses had worried Sweden and Finland with the possibility of being utterly dependent on German good will for Atlantic access. These fears had pushed those countries nearer to the British sphere of influence for protection while British public opinion had been angered at the thought of the Navy being 'barred' from any body of water. German worries therefore focused on the possibility of closer ties leading to the formation of a Royal Navy 'Baltic Squadron', perhaps based in Stockholm or Oslo, seriously upsetting the balance of power and threatening Germany's Baltic coast. As unlikely as that prospect was, hindsight tells us none of the Scandinavian nations were seriously contemplating any breach of neutrality let alone allowing the British naval basing rights, it was a genuine fear in German political circles.

These fears were heightened by events in Sweden, where the Swedish Airforce was selecting it's next generation of medium bomber. After being rebuffed in it's desire for the US B-18 the Air Administration had turned it's attention to German offerings where, after again being denied it's preferred choice of the He-111, the assessors had selected the Ju-86. However the Swedish government had then stepped in, blocking the purchase of any German aircraft and making contact with the British manufacturer Handley-Page for a 'Arctic' version of their Hampden. Ostensibly this decision was on political grounds, the governing Social Democrat coalition was facing an election later in the year and claimed to be worried about purchasing combat aircraft from a country that, technically, shouldn't even have an airforce. A more honest assessment is that Prime Minister Hansson, who was renowned for his un-idealistic double dealing, merely wished to play the Germans off the British to secure a cheaper price. Regardless, what had started as nothing more than a potential foreign sale had come to be seen by many as a vital barometer of the region's intentions, the choice of aircraft indicating who's sphere of influence Sweden fell into. The Swedish government, seeing their hope for neutrality diminishing before their eyes, stalled on the deal as they sought a way to defuse the situation without alienating either side or Sweden being forced to abandon the purchase.

BF03qeO.jpg
Prime Minister Hansson, the notorious Swedish Prime Minister who planned to ensure Sweden sat out any conflict in an ideologically indifferent, and highly profitable, armed neutrality.

With the stakes, both real and imagined, so high the Reich Foreign Ministry demanded action to shore up Germany's position and re-assert herself on the international stage. Believing the situation to be critical they wanted not only a show of German power but also a way to highlight the weakness of the Western Allies. Based on past experience it was believed another blatant violation of Versailles would have no serious consequence, bar harshly worded telegrams, and as such was considered perfect.

Having dealt with why the German political leadership wished to re-occupy, we move on the question of timing. The consensus view holds that one of the main reasons the crisis escalated so rapidly was the poor German timing, yet it is clear from examining the general situation that the constraints on timing were in fact severe. The window of opportunity, such as it was, was squashed between the aftermath of the British raid on Taranto and the final rounds of the French legislative elections. Before Taranto the French Army, mobilised on the Italian declaration of war, was still on high alert and any troop movements could be misinterpreted as war, something Germany was far from ready for. At the other end of the time frame the paralysis crippling the French government would almost certainly end the after the elections as the focus switched from winning or retaining power back to running the country. Gambling that aggressive posturing would be a vote-loser in France it was hoped Sarraut would limit any complaints to harmless diplomatic complaints, handing Germany the propaganda victory she sought.

Operating within that window it is clear that the later the better for Germany; As Italy's position deteriorated the French armed forces lowered their alert status, reducing the chances of a panicked over-reaction. Equally the French Government would become desperate to avoid angering the electorate, knowing there would be no time to correct the damage bad publicity would cause. For all the effort expended on plotting the perfect time and rationalising the justifications the operation was regarded as a considerable gamble, particularly by the War Ministry who feared the consequences of a French counter-attack against Germany. Allaying such fears with promises of a withdrawal in the event of a French military reaction Hitler ordered the re-occupation to take place on the morning of Friday the 24th of April.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hurray!

Brilliant stuff :D Although, do I detect a hint of anti-Swedish feeling in your words? ;)

One too many CTDs made you bitter? :p

Anyway, I upheld my end of the bargain.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Brewing to an interesting next step up indeed, only one can wonder where it will led.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bah, as usual Pip does half a job and tries to pass it off as a complete update... finish the job old chap!

Dury.

• 1Like
Reactions: