• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually I think the British held out for 18 months or more and I think I stopped the test mid-war. They were still holding. It was quite a surprise really....

Do miracles never end? Sometimes AI unloads such ungodly amounts of troops into single territory enemy never tries to take it. I suppose we have all seen 50+ stacks of divisions occasionally. It makes no sense, but enemy AI gets scared and does not attack.

Hmm... Rocket testing sites... ??? :p

Its a secret weapon. Seriously! ;)

You gonna try to send the Faaborg stalker on vacation to the sunny straits of Messina?

Also Germany coming to save a completely pathetic and helpless Italy....

Sound familiar to anyone? ;)

Would I try to do Faaborg in Messina? Could I be so cruel and evil? I think I could try.

Poor Stalker will need to work overtime soon. Anyway, Faaborg has gotten quite tranquil lately so he needs a new job.

Historically Mussolini would have a rebellion in his hands by now, after losing almost everything. Germany can save him for a while, but this again creates a new front for poor Germans to hold and eases the pressure everywhere else.

Well, can you try to bomb the shit out of the Italian Navy using your ordinary medium bombers, they have a decent sea attack and the Luftwaffel seems to be busy on the Western front.

I would love to send them to bottom, but perfidious Italians have their own interceptors that are unhealthy company for my poor bombers. I tried to fight it out but naturally my planes took quite a licking.

Italian air activity seems to drop now, though reasons are still little unclear.

You need a breakthrough, but Messina is not the place nor is Faaborg. Perhaps you could launch an offensive into Aalborg and try to retake Jutland or would you rather hold the line and try to wear the Boche down? and can you even afford to do that? Do you the stalemate in the low countries can be broken? And when will the Yanquis get their act together and come and save the day by bravely landing in Normandy, realizing that France hasn't fallen and then landing at Danzig and driving to Berlin?

Also, I'm heartened to see that you are building land forts in Irún, a fallback position is a good idea.

Also, I suggest you name one of your new divisions "Dr. Hook"

Last edited:
Thanks for comments, next update today.

Rokkit Launchas would be my bet. Unless he actually intends to go the whole nine yards of loony and start building V-1s to spice up the trench warfare a bit... :eek:

Uuu~... Secret weapons... I like the sound of that... ;)

That's quite accurate. HPP has a "secret" project Rocket Launcher which gives infantry some kick-ass hard attack. For balance this requires level 2 rocker research facility. Realistically such simple aerodynamics for bazooka could be researched on factory backyard and should not require Peenemünde. Oh well, maybe Spain can be the first country on the Moon after the war...

Bombing Berlin with V-1s could be fun and I'll have to consider it carefully! :rofl:

As far as I can tell, no other country has bothered to build a rocket facility so far.

You need a breakthrough, but Messina is not the place nor is Faaborg. Perhaps you could launch an offensive into Aalborg and try to retake Jutland or would you rather hold the line and try to wear the Boche down? and can you even afford to do that? Do you the stalemate in the low countries can be broken? And when will the Yanquis get their act together and come and save the day by bravely landing in Normandy, realizing that France hasn't fallen and then landing at Danzig and driving to Berlin?

Also, I'm heartened to see that you are building land forts in Irún, a fallback position is a good idea.

Also, I suggest you name one of your new divisions "Dr. Hook"

Those are good ideas; at the moment I have no troops for breakthroughs but soon I'll have to consider the possibility for a serious offensive. I would like to do that somewhere far, far away from German heartlands. Italy would by one possibility.

Yankees probably think that Old World is doing fine by its own. Unless some event happens they are not even close of joining the war. This is actually positive, since their participation sometimes has catastrophic consequences.

I'll strengthen Irún just for propaganda purposes. :p There is no possibility now it could ever be needed.

"Dr.Hook" accepted, it will be in name que just after Duke Nukem. :D

Rihanna is in town and having a concert as I write. Well, this AAR is certainly much more interesting.

Chapter 16: "It was those darn Spaniards!"

3 November 1940

In 4 November 1940 General Jodl, commander of 88th Wehrmacht Infantry Division in Italy, phoned to rear supply site to ask if there were some difficulties in deliveries.

Phone was answered in Spanish.

88. Infantry division had arrived from Germany to rescue struggling Mussolini, but now found itself to be in need of rescue. It had advanced too far and unexpectedly aggressive Spanish advance by 1st "Easy Raider" division had cut it off. German soldiers had often been cynical about their Italian allies who regularly surrendered to Allies, claiming that "real German soldier would send the Spaniards back to Seville." In evening of 4 November unfortunate 88. division had abundant opportunity to test this theory, when Spanish commanders ordered three divisions to attack the Germans. Order was expressed simply "Get them bastards."

2011-08-07_00051.jpg

Spanish special forces performing heroics, 5 November.

As "Pony Express" and "Phineas" divisions maneuvered to attack the hated fascists, rest of Spanish divisions had come under pressure from German and Italian reinforcements. The situation was tough in north where "Easy Raider" was alone against quickly mounting flood of enemies. Spanish cavalry were elite and fought heroically to buy enough time to finish of 88. division.

But even elite could not hold on forever against superior numbers. 8 November "Easy Raider" finally broke and fled, leaving a gap for Fascists to rescue their comrades. But neither was 88. Infantry doing well. It had been holding ground against determined assault but now 23th "Lord Humungus" division had joined the attack and Germans were dropping like flies.

Spanish soldiers were especially drilled in independent maneuvers and close combat, and Germans were quickly being overrun. Spanish forces had been eagerly awaiting an opportunity to attack hated Fascists and pressed on brutally. If Germans could not save their comrades in few days it would be the end of 88th. Unfortunately for Germans they had no motorized divisions available, and advance was slow.

2011-08-07_00052.jpg

Heroic "Easy Raider" took over 10% casualties from defensive action.

88.Infantry was fighting with the desperation of doomed but it was useless. Marines of "Phineas" division broke through the last defensive lines early on 9 November, fighting through pouring rain and mud. The battle became chaotic as rest Spanish forces broke through to clear the remains. All wireless contact with 88. was lost 1700 hours, and then it was only static. Fleeing Germans had even the bad luck to be overrun by escaping "Easy Raider" division and only few stragglers reached their rescuers. Experience had been shattering, and message was always the same; "It was those darn Spaniards!"

For first time during the war German division had surrendered under enemy action. German high command was infuriated and hesitated for weeks before the news were told to Hitler. Luckily his doctor had again confused Valium and eye drops, and he took the news rather calmly.

2011-08-07_00054.jpg

End of 88.Infantry, 9 November.

roupeldi6.jpg

War was hell, even for Germans.

Spanish forces had little time for celebrations though, with more than 7000 dazed prisoners to handle. Enemy was closing in heavily and it was decided that it was time to say goodbye to Italian hospitality. Everywhere Spanish divisions broke off and begun to pull back, often under heavy fire from vengeful Germans. It was a painful affair to hold the line under broken divisions had retreated, especially for Marines who only possessed light support weapons.

2011-08-07_00055.jpg

13 November Spanish forces had retreated below Taranto and were reaching safer terrain, but still Fascist dogs were biting the heels. Fortunately Spanish divisions still had their usual devastating firepower which caused lots of pain for advancing Germans.

battle_balkans2.jpg

Italian terrain was widely hated by Germans at this point.

Also motorized German divisions were spotted. Spanish forced had truly retreated at the last possible moment. But to frustrated Germans, there was no easy way to pursue and destroy retreating enemy formations. Those who tried met heavy fire from well-organized enemy, commanded by some of the best generals available.

2011-08-07_00060.jpg

Pain in rain, 14 November.

19 November Taranto was finally lost. Last Spanish supply ships sailed away as weary and frustrated Germans walked in, leaving rude messages around the city. In south Spanish divisions were careful always to support the retreat of their comrades, nobody was left behind. Germans also found out that they were heavily bombed by Spanish planes operating from Sicily.

2011-08-07_00063.jpg

Retreating Spanish forces defeated Germans in few skirmishes more before they got smart enough to stop trying. However, it would be foolish to try to hold positions in Italian mainland. With some regret Spanish divisions crossed the strait back to Messina. Last Spanish forces left the mainland on 25 November, leaving a big signpost reading "WE'LL BE BACK."

Italian civilians also had gotten wise, now shouting slogans such as "Vaffanculo Azaña!" and "Viva Mussolini!"

This effectively bough OPERATION DANDELION to end.

2011-08-07_00065.jpg

Crossing the strait, 25 November.

But Spain was still controlling liberated Sicily, which had happily gone back to its native state of government, for it was administrated by local mafia. Since they were much more effective that Italian government and gave Spain a slice of profits, everybody was quite happy with he arrangement. But there was no way Spain was giving this prize back to Mussolini. Spanish home-guard had been transported to Sicily and had already constructed local fortifications. If Fascists wanted it back, they would have to cross oceans of blood to get it. Only an idiot would try.

Three German divisions fulfilled this requirement and attacked 6 December, and many men would not see christmas. This battle provoked fearful gossips about "the Messina Stalker", which was thus speculated to be a close relative of "Faaborg Stalker".

2011-08-07_00066.jpg

The effort was brave...

battle.png

...but results were sad. Messina remained in Spanish hands. 13 December.

DANDELION had now officially ended and Spanish high command went through the reports to learn something worthwhile from the experience. The operation had been a tremendous success; objectives were achieved and losses were minimal. The breakthrough to Taranto had been a major Allied propaganda victory and Mussolini was officially shitting bricks. As a bonus, one German divisions had been completely destroyed. Few things were speculated on strategic scale;

1. Italy was the weak underbelly of Germany
2. Spain could win a carefully coordinated offensive against German forces
3. Spain could move rather freely on Mediterranean. For some reason Italian naval and aerial maneuvers had become minimal.​

This was encouraging indeed, especially the last part which deserved special attention. Meanwhile Spain licked wounds and administrated the occupied areas. Since Spain was liberating and not exploiting the economic gains were absolutely minimal, though Spain begun to enjoy a small but steady trickle of volunteers to fight against Fascism.

Italy had now lost almost all areas outside the mainland, only few islands remained.

sas-north-africa.jpg

British special forces gain ground in Africa.

PoWs were a special difficulty for Spain who had little experience of handling them. With British and French help Spain set up some decent PoW camps in Spain where most Italians were very grateful to be out of the war. On other side having lots of PoWs around created some unforseen domestic worries for Spanish soldiers posted far away. Typical sarcastical greeting from Spanish soldier to Italian PoW back home was "How's my wife?"

Another problem were hardened Fascists, German SS-men and other bothersome people. For these people Spain created "Special camps", which were perfectly normal expect by one small detail; they were located in Somalian deserts and gleefully guarded by Ethiopians.

Escapes remained very, very rare.

Italianpows.jpg

Italian POWs.

Christmas of 1940 was the second of the war, jubilantly celebrated in London, Paris and Madrid. It was, one could speculate, celebrated more gloomily in Berlin and Rome. Soldiers of all nationalities celebrated as well as they could, praying that they would live to see the next one as well. Offensives died away as all took to winter quarters, preparing for new operations. It was dark, wet, depressive winter.

Spanish marines celebrated by assaulting Albania during Christmas Day 1940.

2011-08-07_00072.jpg

"Merry Christmas from Spain!", 25 December.

Capital Tirane was undefended but from mountains Spanish forces found a single Italian division. Since Yugoslavia was not providing access for Italians, this division quickly saw the wisdom in surrender.

Albania was thus quickly liberated and Spanish marines resupplied, awaiting new orders. Next operational aim was to liberate Rhodos from Fascist hands.

Italy was being strangled slowly but steadily. It also seemed meaningful to send spies to asses their supply situation. Something, other than mere stupidity, seemed to be paralyzing the nation. But such decisions could wait for next year.

person_hitler78.jpg

It was speculated that relations between Mussolini and Hitler were not quite this cordial anymore.

Last edited:
SWASTIKA ALERT!!!

Also, are you planning to liberate the Albanians?

Also, evil thought, What if you got the Swedes to join your side, so that you could remove a division from Faaborg, or even more evilly, how about getting the Yugoslavs to give you military access? You could take out the Italian holdings in Dalmatia, depriving them of their strategic dog resources.

Also, Mussolini looks like he's farting. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
Aguerra, if you could please remove or edit the last image in your post due to the swastika, that would be great. Remember that no picture can contain a swastika, even if it is only showing a part of it.

Those were some fast replies. I inserted an improved version of the pic, hopefully satisfactory.

SWASTIKA ALERT!!!

Also, are you planning to liberate the Albanians?

Also, evil thought, What if you got the Swedes to join your side, so that you could remove a division from Faaborg, or even more evilly, how about getting the Yugoslavs to give you military access? You could take out the Italian holdings in Dalmatia, depriving them of their strategic dog resources.

Also, Mussolini looks like he's farting. 'Nuff said.

Albania cannot be 'really' liberated as an independent country. Unfortunately it is just gone. Swedes and Yugos wont join the war without major cheating. But of course Dalmatia is a horse of completely different color.

Actually Danes could trains an army of their own. I've been in Faaborg for some 8 months and they still don't have a single infantry division. I think I'll just make new infantry divisions as I go. They are fast and cheap to make, and I still have the manpower to spare. Infantry divs are like socks, you can never have too many.

I feel your pain Aguerra. I took half of Italy as Mexico only to be pushed back by the German Armour. I hope your plan to encircle them works. Depending on how many you capture in the trap you could very well decide the war!

Attacking Italy with Mexico is serious bravery! I could do some damage by encirclement, but I need more muscle. Some 25-30 extra divisions would be a big help.

War is, of course, practically decided already.

Attacking Italy with Mexico is serious bravery! I could do some damage by encirclement, but I need more muscle. Some 25-30 extra divisions would be a big help.

I tried with 13. I ended up taking most of the Italian garrison forces in Italy with me though. 30 Divs sounds about right. Throw some armour in you should wipe the floor with the Italians.

Just found this and you've done a fantastic job - a real inspiration for Spanish players everywhere. I hope to see the Spanish colours flying over Rome before long. ;)

Maybe if you take the Dodecanese and Rhodes you could create an event which cedes those islands to Greece in exchange for participation in the war. It's not that implausible, Greece would benefit from regaining "their" islands and the protection of the Allies and you might be able to get some expeditionary forces to use in Messinia. Then if you felt like your situation wasn't difficult enough, you could have the Bulgarians or the Yugos attack Greece and therefore join the Axis.

Brainwave! Since you control Jydske and Fynske and therefore have the Baltic held open, why don't you scout out those ports for a suitable landing zone for your Marines? They're pretty experienced and you might just want to launch quick raids on German ports to force them to draw forces away from their critical offensives, keeping them spread out and ineffectual.

Is Hungary in the Axis yet?

Also, could you post your production at the end of your next post and maybe your research as well?

And maybe you should check on the Belgians, Dutch and Danes and see if they'll build fortifications along the Cinderella Line and at Faaborg respectively since their foot soldiers are only useful for eating up your supplies. (Their teeth are suprisingly clean though :D)

Final question, Are you planning to build any Armor or other "heavy" divisions?

But of course Dalmatia is a horse of completely different color.

If I recall correctly its color is white with black spots.

Last edited:
I tried with 13. I ended up taking most of the Italian garrison forces in Italy with me though. 30 Divs sounds about right. Throw some armour in you should wipe the floor with the Italians.

Well yes, Italy is often as tough as two-minute egg. I'm quite sure armors are not needed; few bananas could wipe the floors with Italian 'armies'.

Just found this and you've done a fantastic job - a real inspiration for Spanish players everywhere. I hope to see the Spanish colours flying over Rome before long. ;)

Thank you, I'll try my best to see it happen.

Maybe if you take the Dodecanese and Rhodes you could create an event which cedes those islands to Greece in exchange for participation in the war. It's not that implausible, Greece would benefit from regaining "their" islands and the protection of the Allies and you might be able to get some expeditionary forces to use in Messinia. Then if you felt like your situation wasn't difficult enough, you could have the Bulgarians or the Yugos attack Greece and therefore join the Axis.

Brainwave! Since you control Jydske and Fynske and therefore have the Baltic held open, why don't you scout out those ports for a suitable landing zone for your Marines? They're pretty experienced and you might just want to launch quick raids on German ports to force them to draw forces away from their critical offensives, keeping them spread out and ineffectual.

Is Hungary in the Axis yet?

Also, could you post your production at the end of your next post and maybe your research as well?

And maybe you should check on the Belgians, Dutch and Danes and see if they'll build fortifications along the Cinderella Line and at Faaborg respectively since their foot soldiers are only useful for eating up your supplies. (Their teeth are suprisingly clean though :D)

Final question, Are you planning to build any Armor or other "heavy" divisions?

If I recall correctly its color is white with black spots.

What a great idea about Dodecanese and Rhodes; are any HPP team members reading this? I would love to see more this kind of realistic "what-if" events in HPP, they really spice up the game. Honestly I would love to conquer them for Greece but I'm sure they will not care. Anyway, I will liberate them soon, just for practice.

Besides, I'm not sure what a great contribution Greece could do to the war, though more Allies is always good.

If you mean launching raids into northern Germany from Baltic, that is possible and even probable when my marines run out of targets in Mediterranean. But for the moment I'll keep them there, as long as Italy has any weak spots to hit.

Hungary, or any of the Balkans, are not Axis yet. They are so close Germany could probably invite them, but for some reason it is not doing it. It's a real pity. I had great plans for amphibious cavalry assault through the Black Sea...

Danes are probably building forts since they are certainly not building any troops. They have an army though - in Iceland and Greenland. Yes, Danish soldiers are bravely defending barren ice fields while their homes are defended by four Spanish divisions. The rest of my allies are not completely useless, even if I often claim so myself :p. Their divisions can still fight, especially when defending a river, and I could not hold Cinderella Line without them. They must have some 2M soldiers there by now, so Germans are in deep trouble.

I posted my production on the page before but sure I can give the latest update. Research will be coming as well.

No tanks for me. I have neither technology, industry or knowhow to build heavy units. Even motorized infantry is bit too expensive for me. I planned on massive formations of super-boosted infantry on crazy steroids. It has worked well enough this far.