• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for reading and commenting!

Another fantastic update; shame to hear about the world being out of coal, though :( Love the pics! Keep it coming!

Thanks! Coal crisis was a hard blow for Spanish industry indeed. They tried to burn paper money instead of coal but it just did not work as well!

So the degenerate American capitalists are the main thing keeping the Aryan war industry going? Truly the nefariousness and depth of the plots of the Wall Street Jewry are beyond the understanding of mere mortals!
[Hitler is confused!] :wacko:

Ought to drive the Nazi theorists bonkers, that one. :D

In other hot topics, "General Miaja - A Sorcerer?"

Nobody really understands how Miaja does it. The most realistic speculation is that he acquired Summon Leviathan materia from Final Fantasy VII and uses it to create a lake between attacking enemy and his own division. He is very scary man, even though he looks like your regular schoolyard pervert.

Find Colonel Mustard, and make him a General. :D

We'd love to, but he is too scary! Also he is trademarked for another game. ;)

Here's wishing the Spanish Army a victory in Ede!

Thanks, I'm wishing the same very, very badly. We should have some epic battle theme music here.

superb update ... has everything from epic battles to a world coal shortage to panzers proving that steel is heavier than water

Thank you, it was a good month. When fighting is this intense every month is a good month! Panzers are great, but even German panzers were not Jesus enough to drive on water. Perhaps next model will do better?

Given Italy is... well, Italy, isn't that some sort of devastating insult against the Spanish people and nation? After all, they single-handedly neutralized the Nazi threat! Also: Research the coal mining efficiency techs, man... I think that would be LS points well spent!

I know I sound like Counselor Troi, stating the bloody obvious, but still: FUNNIEST AAR EVER!

The international status bonuses are same between me and Italy, but otherwise I think Spain is doing much better than the Marioland. Well, the Nazi threat is still not quite neutralized though we are working very hard on it. I thought about the coal production tech but bonus of 2.5% per level is not much if your production is just 80. :p

If USSR or USA would research it that would be a major boost. I'm just too poor and uneducated to do it. I'm not sure if Spain actually has any coal at all!

The battle for Ede was just a distraction while the Germans bought up all the world's coal! A devious plan! :D

I suspect in fact that the worldwide shortage is only due to HPP's resource storage penalties and will correct itself in time. Just keep an eye out for when supply returns to the market.

Good thing this dramatic and devious plan happened, since Spain was actually doing too well. After all, we really must be that proverbial underdog.

HPP rules truly punish those who harvest too much resources and I hope that you are correct and soon markets will be full of coal soon. If not, things will go really interesting. :D

I'm now reporting a slight technical glitch concerning this AAR. I play HoI3 through Steam and last week I was stupid enough to buy FtML from cheap summer sales. Of course I forgot that Steam updates games automatically and process cannot be stopped or reversed in any way.

So I got the latest vanilla version of full game, which naturally broke HPP. My saves are, of course, saved from this (obviously!) Fascist plot do destroy Spain, and I hope this is only a minor setback and war will continue soon.

Truly stupidity is not a crime, since I'm not it jail already.

Happy summer for all readers. :cool:

P.S. Anybody know where I can get HPP 1.9.2? Game Front has only 1.9.25 and .26

Last edited:
That's why I copied my SF install somewhere else before buying FtM :) That said, sorry to hear that your game is effectively dead, as this AAR was amusing.

Buried in the HPP download sticky is a link labelled Repository. If 1.9.2 is still around, that would be the first place to look.

I have a fever and you know what can cure it?

MORE SPANIARDS!

Chapter 12: Mussolini's Adventures in Wonderland - A casual massacre

July 1940

Game note: So this AAR was heroically saved by Piktoonis, who delivered me new old version of HPP 1.9.2. The game works again normally except one amusing glitch which I call 'Border formalities.' The units cannot use strategic redeployment across national borders anymore. This is somewhat wacky but not crippling, and actually suits the general mood of this AAR. It must be those pre-EU border customs...​

Historical note: As we all know, France historically signed an armistice with Germany on 22 June.​

During the rest of June not much happened, great battles were fought on Cinderella front, Spain was out of coal and President Azaña was out of aspirin. As Spain was trying to glue together the remains of its broken divisions to frustrate Fascist onslaught the leaders of Alliance were busy planning further military operations at the General Allied HQ, located in Paris. The mood swayed between jubilant and drunk, as against all odds German onslaught had been frustrated for a while, and most leaders of Alliance were busy drinking away their money before Germans captured it.

Cancan.jpg

A typical night of fervent work at General Allied Headquarters, in Moulin Rouge, Paris. No effort was spared to defend democracy, and no sacrifice was too great. Most allied leaders had tables at front row, but very limited credit.

But war went on with its own, sluggish momentum, knocking down random Dutch villages and making lots of German heroes in the process. Ede and Maastricht were the regular killing grounds of the war, where endless German divisions were smashed to pieces. But unfortunately Germans had hundreds of divisions to spare, and Spanish defenders were kept hard-pressed. Often Spanish pilots tried to frustrate the German air superiority that was becoming more and more evident every day, and were sometimes succesful. Whenever Spanish planes caught German bombers without their customary fighter defence heavy casualties were inflected. But most often Allied pilots found themselves outnumbered and outgunned by Luftwaffe. German air power was devastating, but failed to give them decisive advantage on ground. It was fortunate that battles were fought over friendly territory where pilots could parachute into safety, since this occurred so often. Indeed, Spanish pilots were pioneers of airborne infantry! Some men actually spend more time jumping from planes than flying them. The inability of France and UK to deal with Luftwaffe was a cause of bitter animosity between Allies.

2011-07-09_00003.jpg

A rare moment at end of June when Allied fighters wreck havoc among German bombers.

Despite the continuous slaughter and pain, the war became paradoxically rather safe routine for those who fought it. The lines did not move, there were no dramatic breakthroughs, no daring operations. It was only gruelling war of attrition over few miles of otherwise meaningless Dutch riverbanks. But in 5th of June something extraordinary happened.

Mussolini's Adventures in Wonderland

This extraordinary discussion was captured and decrypted by Allied intelligence services at 5th of July. Actually, they just bribed all cleaners in Reichstag with Coca-cola.

SS-guard: 'Mein Führer, extraordinary news!'

Hitler: 'I HATE NEWS! I HATE EVERYTHING THAT ENDS WITH -EWS! Can't you see I'm busy? I'm playing World of Tanks against one of my officers and somehow I'm losing every round! Who does this Michael Wittmann think he is? AARGH!'

Guard: 'Mein Führer Italy has joined the war!'

Hitler: 'So what? Send six divisions to Alps, those Marios will never get through. There are no pipes that lead under Alps.'

Guard: 'Er...I must have expressed myself improperly! Mein Führer, Italy has joined the war on our side!'

2011-07-09_00010.jpg

Hitler: 'WHAT?' Now we must send at least 30 divisions to help those idiots! This is a catastrophe! Sh*t! F**k! Sh*tf**k!'

hitler_baby-11988.jpg

Hitler was not pleased with the news.

Somewhat same was repeated in Allied HQ where most Allied leaders had been busy drinking for last three weeks. Only Spanish leaders were not present, being too busy fighting the war. Around 3am staff officer rushed in, waving a urgen looking telegraph.

'Italy has declared war on us!' He shouted.

The roar of laughter was thunderous. Churchill was guffawing helplessly on the floor, his face like a ripe tomato. French prime minister Léon Blum nearly choked on lobster and caviar. Paul Van Zeeland of Belgium laughed so hard his teeth were recovered ten meters away. For nearly ten minutes not an intelligible syllable was produced. Churchill was first to pull himself together.

'That was good enough joke to win the war!' He said, wiping his eyes. 'We should broadcast that to Germans to lower their morale!'

'But sir, it was the truth!' Hapless staff officer screamed. 'Here it is printed!'

'Lol whut?' Churchill said and glanced at the telegraph. 'This makes no sense at all. It seems Mussolini tried to order a pizza named 'I declare war on UK' and somehow ended up declaring war on us! Well, his pronunciation was always bad.'

1book24.jpg

Among Allies Mussolini soon gained the nickname 'Top Hat.' He was stupid enough to mistake it as a compliment. If he had read a singe book in his life, he could have known better.

'This is a catastrophe!' Cried the officer.

'Bollocks, now we can make good headlines kicking Mussolini around! We could actually win this one without those darn Spaniards! Italians cannot even defeat Ethiopia so we might stand a chance!'

'Toast for Mussolini!' Declared the rest of drunken Allied leaders. By this time Hendrik Colijn of Holland was drinking brandy from a high-heeled boot.

'Oh, speaking of Ethiopia we could invite them to Allies, if there is a free table around here. Anyway, let's give them Spanish table, since those guys are never here.'

So, after four and half years of standing against Italian aggression Ethiopia joined the Allies and received the customary table from Moulin Rouge.

2011-07-26_00003.jpg

Ethiopia was somewhat legendary figure in Allied circles. They had fought alone against best Mussolini could send against them, and were now the first Allied country to fight against Axis. While some argued that Italy's best was not actually that much, and that Ethiopia was repressive tyranny, they were still great guys! These men were true supermen, and Italians were deadly afraid of them.

HaileSelassie1innorway.jpg

First to fight; Ethiopia. Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie I is here seen in Norway where he mistakenly thought he was out of Axis reach. But now he gladly relocated his HQ to Paris, and joined the merry gang of Allied leaders there.

But now war was becoming truly global. By Mussolini's raving madness Kingdom of Italy declared war on Allied and thus Mediterranean became a battleground, along with North Africa. This could have been disastrous, since both French and British colonies there were virtually empty of any military presence.

2011-07-09_00011.jpg

Spain's leaders were amazed to see how bloated this war already was.

Strange things also happened on other fronts. For a long time Spain, or more honestly all Allies, had been too preoccupied with their own survival to pay much attention to former global conflict, that between Japan and USSR. But now something shocking happened there. Mongolia had surrendered! Well, nobody really cared and war in Far East continued unperturbed. Allied experts could not understand what Japan thought it could gain. Most likely reason for this prolonged conflict was a bug in HPP 1.9.2 evenst that did not stop this useless war. Anyway, it was amusing to watch.

2011-07-09_00012.jpg

Far East front in July 1940. Note that Communist China still fights.

But it soon became obvious that Mussolini had made a grace strategic mistake, thought most liked to think it as a 'strategic suicide'. Italian army was simply not prepared to fight the Allies. Actually it was also questionable whether Italian army was prepared to fight a paper bag. Newspapers in Western Europe made big headlines from this 'Mussolini's glorious defeat.'

The Alps, for one thing, were impenetrable for Italian assault. France had been clever enough to fortify this sector and Spain had been devious enough to send four powerful divisions of specially trained mountaineers to hold them. This proved to be helpful since France had left this front almost undefended, and Italian breakthrough could have been possible. Now Italian commanders simply took one look at the defences, and then rolled cigarettes from their orders to attack.

2011-07-09_00015.jpg

French Alps 1940. Italians never bothered to try.

Also Maginot line was as safe as it ever was. Italian contribution did not significantly change anything here. It can also be noted that the units defending the M-line were luckiest of all Spain. They had not been attacked even once, nor bombed. Spanish divisions fighting in Ede "meat grinder" were rather bitter about this.

2011-07-09_00016.jpg

Maginot line was basking in warm July sunshine, still untouched by reality.

But in Africa things were becoming nasty for Italians. Combined Franco-Anglo-Ethiopian alliance now rolled against hapless Italians who could not even cope with Ethiopians alone. Italy had massive amounts of troops at this area; 240000 was a good estimate. During daytime mercury climbed to +50C and all these troops were supplied through one level 2 port, which proved perfectly incapable of doing so. Allies considered this operation a 'humanitarian catastrophe' rather than a military action.

2011-07-26_00005.jpg

Italian lines vanished under any military pressure, and Allies begun to advance. Use of air power was difficult in Africa due to weak infrastructure, but nonetheless Spanish bombers begun harassing retreating Italian troops from the airfield on left. 'Never give sucker a break' commented Spanish commander.

North Africa became the very synonym for Italian idiocy. Mussolini had dreamed of new Italian Empire in Africa, but those dreams were probably his most practical contribution. British Egypt had only few weak divisions to defend vital channel - but Italians had practically nothing. Amazed British units simply walked over the border after Italian declaration of war. One very frightened garrison unit was found from Tobruk, and was then delivered to local "lost and found", but otherwise Africa was empty. Yes, that sound you hear is Allied commanders laughing on the floor.

2011-07-26_00006.jpg

Churchill called this battle 'An glorious British victory, a new Waterloo.' Spain was not impressed.

But in Europe things were not so rosy, and Spanish divisions were actually wishing they were in Africa instead, which tells much of the situation. Every day came the same waves of German bombers and same crazy infantrymen. Actually infantrymen were different every day, since not many returned from those crazy attacks, but bombers were the same. Germany had now complete air superiority over Wester Europe, and combined air forces of UK, France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway and Spain (also some random planes from Egypt and India took part) were not enough to defeat the incredibly powerful Luftwaffe. Germany had really invested heavily on air forces considering both quality and quantity, and they seemed to posses an unlimited supply of superior planes, pilots and equipment.

2011-07-26_00013.jpg

Typical Italo-German overkill. 11 July 1940. Faaborg Stalker continued to cause steady mayhem to attacking Germans in Denmark.

However, this unhappy state of affairs also gave some reasons for optimism. Germans had clearly invested heavily on interceptors in both money and research. But this accomplished them very little on ground where they still continued to lose thousand of men every day. Should Germany had invested even some of their effort to armored vehicles, results might have been disastrous. But now Luftwaffe controlled the empty skies, accomplishing very little after all. Germany and Italy had bombers, but not sufficiently to break the deadlock in Holland.

2011-07-26_00015.jpg

Battles such as this caused despair for Allied Air Commanders.

But all this did not change the harsh reality that Allied lines still held, after nearly two months of carnage. The full strength of Wehrmacht, some two million men, were assaulting Western Europe and gaining nothing. Attacking German divisions were defeated again and again in places whose names were imprinted into history of warfare; Faaborg, Bastogne, Maastricht.

2011-07-26_00020.jpg

2011-07-26_00027.jpg

These were typical casualty rates. Routinely Germany lost five or six times the casualties Spain received. In Faaborg the exchange rate was even worse, some thirteen German soldiers died for every Spanish hero. If this stood as a proof of excellent Spanish weapons and tactics, it also marked their significant advantage in terrain. Germans had to attack over Rhine with terrible casualties, or otherwise unfavorable terrain. In most places they could attack from relatively narrow perimeters that Allies could defend and reinforced easily. Ede was the only weakness in 'Cinderella line,' but it was ferociously defended by best Spain had to offer.

General Miaja 'the Sorcerer' Menant was widely hated among German soldiers who had to fight against him. It was said that his divisions were responsible for more German casualties than combined armies of UK and France together. This was perhaps an exaggeration.

x2011-07-26_00025.jpg

But finally in 24th of July newspapers in Madrid literally exploded with the importance of news they tried to deliver. During morning hours of 24th tired Spanish defenders had looked from their battered foxholes and awaited the unavoidable German assault. But this time it did not come. Exhausted, beaten and with horrible casualties, Germans called off the attack and retreated, leaving behind them sad heaps of humanity, mountains of abandoned equipment. It had been an utter massacre for Wehrmacht. Spain erupted in spontaneous celebration. But price had also been high.

x2011-07-26_00070.jpg

Nearly million men had fought in Ede and over 120000 were killed, making the Ede "slaughter" the bloodiest battle war had seen so far. 41277 Spanish men paid with their lives to uphold the democracy and beat back the Fascist beast. It was staggering price, and Spanish commanders were looking longingly back to the Civil War days when 500 casualties were extraordinary.

But Germans had been massacred. They lost over 80000 men killed in Ede, a staggering amount that would have bought lesser country to its knees. Typical German division lost 30% of its strength killed and had some 12000 men. So some 20 German divisions were completely exhausted during the two months that Battle of Ede lasted. It was rumored that Hitler busted a vein. Again.

1308250010001.jpg

Even most fanatical Nazis facepalmed as they heard the news from Ede.

At evening of same day Germans attacked Ede again.

But now Spain had held the Fascist beast back for over two months, and not a single inch of soil had been given to Germans. It was time to take offensive. As end of July approached, Spanish High Command was going through the plans to invade Sardinia.

Mediterranean would be the next battleground.

Last edited:
Chapter 13 - Mussolini on the run - Spanish preparations

August 1, 1940

corsadelduce.jpg

So with situation in north somewhat stable, Spain was finally rolling out those old plans for offensive against Italy. This bold plan was codenamed OPERATION BAD MEDICINE after many hours of fervent brainstorming. It was a bold plan, introduced in chapter 7, and was now adapted to existing conditions.

About strategic situation: It now seems like an appropriate time to asses what has been happening for past few months. I have played with Spain many times and managed to defeat Germany often enough, sometimes without French capitulation, but I have never before managed to save Holland and Belgium so well. My few divisions are spread much too thin and Germans have decisive superiority in numbers. Should they attack strongly over whole front my divisions would simply be overpowered sooner or later, though German casualties would be enormous. I have few theories why this does not happen;

1.Germany has invested too heavily on air power. By mid 1940 they still have only light tanks, and relatively few thought they are becoming more common sight in Europe.

2.They have poor offensive support weapons. Though my divisions are very solid, Germans seem to take unusually high casualties, resulting in uneven battles as their divisions are often down to 70-80% strength. It might be that their offensive support weapons are inferior to their other infantry weapons which are clearly up to date.

In near future no dramatic developments are in sight though I'm constantly juggling my divisions the keep Germans away. War against Italy should be much easier and more mobile.​

2011-06-24_00031.jpg

The original plan for OPERATION BAD MEDICINE.

Strategical situation was wildly different that expected. Spain did not have much submarines to cut those Italian supply lines, but Italians did not have forces in North Africa either. Unexpectedly North Africa was empty and was not developing into a major battlefield. Baffled Spanish leaders decided to perform the planned assault to Sardinia anyway. Also all available submarines were send to Gibraltar where they begun to harass Italian convoys with limited success.

2011-07-26_00019.jpg

But there was more immediate problem; how to scrap together necessary forces for the offensive. Spanish forces were spread very thinly along the Cinderella Line and the three marine divisions that Spain had formed for this very purpose were busy fighting the Germans. The pressure of German offensive was still on Northern sector, around Ede, where heavy fighting had taken place.

2011-07-31_00003.jpg

Cinderella Line August 1, 1940.

But Spain could not really sacrifice any parts of this precious line. Thinning the line around Bastogne did not sound like very clever idea either. It seemed that the situation would require thorough reorganization of Spanish armies to find the careful balance required. Some five divisions, including three marines, would be removed from the front. Spanish commanders scratched their hairy heads as they pondered this problem. First step was to take careful tally of available forces.

2011-07-31_00004.jpg

Spain had two armies holding the Cinderella Line, totalling 9 corps. As usually these corps were codenamed.

1st Army was the main battle army, responsible for most of the action.

Forces;
18 full infantry divisions
2 full garrison divisions
3 mixed/motorized divisions​

2nd Army was mostly responsible for holding Maginot Line and the Alps, but also fought on Bastogne. They had

8 light garrison divisions
5 mountain divisions
1 full garrison division​

After five divisions left to fight against Italy some 500000 Spanish soldiers were fighting in Europe, totalling 41 division.

This did not include some 'independent' formations. Four divisions were organized as a separate Corps and fought in Denmark, while some light divisions were holding Spanish ports. This left three Marine Divisions available, as well as two cavalry division. By some infernal administrative mistake cavalry divisions were earmarked as amphibious forces and thus were included in offensive force. Poor guys.

2011-07-31_00007.jpg

One of the main reasons for BAD MEDICINE offensive was to secure Spanish mainland, which was practically empty by now.

Some of these divisions had not been named so far. As first step Spanish command gave them customarily foolish nicknames.

2011-07-31_00005.jpg

other_none534.jpg

Mountains did not look like much on the map, so Mussolini though they were not much of a problem. His generals disagreed.

Five mountain divisions were nicknamed:

1st - Bad Medicine
2nd - Paranoid
3rd - White Rabbit
4th - Easy Livin'
5th - Alejandro (fought in Bastogne)

Three Marine Divisions were nicknamed

1st - Phineas
2nd - Fat Freddy
3rd - Franklin

And then two cavalry divisions:

3rd - Pony Express
1st - Easy Raider

By this time also two new infantry divisions had been created, numbers 21 and 22, and both were immediately sent to Holland.

21st - Dirty Harry
22nd - Travis Bickle

2011-07-31_00006.jpg

Forces dedicated to BAD MEDICINE offensive.

It was somewhat amazing how few divisions Spain had after all, considering that Germany had over 300 infantry divisions. Now these five divisions were pulled from combat to give them at least some rest before they were sent to Mediterranean front. As Spanish officer ratio was now over 80% it seemed like a good time to downgrade the officer recruitment in favor of some vital research projects, most importantly better infantry training.

2011-07-31_00011.jpg

But as battles raged routinely in Europe sun was setting for Italian Empire in Africa. After few weeks of badly timed declaration of war combined Anglo-Franco-Ethiopian coalition had smashed the Italian armies to bits. Reports mentioned tens of thousands of starving prisoners who begged to surrender, after over four years of insufficient supply.

2011-07-31_00001.jpg

By August 1, merely 25 days after the war begun, Italians had retreated to a small perimeter near Assab.

vehicle_matilda4.jpg

British advance towards Assab was effortless.

2011-07-31_00016.jpg

In Europe the good, old Battle of Ede (third of them) still raged, giving nice practice for fresh Spanish reinforcements. Slovakia had been trying to prove herself to Germany and had been wasting lots of troops in completely futile attacks the small country could not sustain.

2011-07-31_00017.jpg

In August 3 they tightened the conscription laws, sending all postmasters, teachers and other useless people to their completely futile attacks.

2011-07-31_00019.jpg

Rather interestingly Allies held some useless islands called Waddeneilanden North of Amsterdam, holding them against hopeless Fascist amphibious assaults. This was the only case in Cinderella Line where battles were won without presence of Spanish forces. On other opposite was the battle of Ede that was fought 99% by Spanish troops. Also note how Norwegian submarines were 'helping' allied cause here.

Since nothing of interest really happened in Europe Spanish eyes turned towards the colonies. Tobruk was taken on 5 August without any significant battles. Scared Italian garrisons were running for their dear lives.

2011-07-31_00020.jpg

Something extraordinary happened 9 August; the British had finally sorted their major malfunctions with coal storage and had some surplus! Greedy Spaniards managed to strike a deal about selling this surplus to feed the ever-hungry factories in Madrid. Spanish IC did not reach its theoretical maximum with this input, but it was very welcome addition nonetheless.

2011-07-31_00024.jpg

OPERATION BAD MEDICINE had taken some time to prepare, but in 16 August combined Spanish Armada finally set sail from Amsterdam towards Marseille, transporting full five divisions and their headquarters, totalling some 70000 men. Rather amazingly this operation would be one of the largest amphibious landings in the history! At least, in Spanish history. Soon it would become obvious if all the research, training and effort Spain had invested into amphibious warfare would pay off.

2011-07-31_00031.jpg

Final Italian strongholds in Assab had been under assault by French and Ethiopian troops for days now, and their supply situation was unbearable, also because Spanish bombers had mercilessly destroyed the only pitiful port they had. Italians could supply only some 10% of their troops properly in scorching African sun, while Allies had no such troubles. Italians surrendered by tens of thousands now, usually without firing a shot. Last organized defences surrendered 20 August to victorious French. British troops marched to Assab flying the Tricolor proudly, after their first victorious operation in the war.

2011-07-31_00032.jpg

By 24 August Spanish divisions now located in Marseilles were briefed about their future operation 'amphibious assault on Island X', though most of them knew quite well they were going to Sardinia. As a fateful omen they were given extra rations of Coca-cola, a certain sign that there were tough times ahead. They were to reassemble in French Tunis before launching BAD MEDICINE as operational weather allowed, supported by all naval and air forces Spain could muster, which was not very much.

The war in Africa was not over yet. The northern Italian Army had been dealt with, but south still fought. It did not seem probable that they would perform much better than their comrades in Assab. Many divisions had already surrendered, and the bulk of Allied forces now gathered against them. Curtain was closing for Mussolini's African ambition permanently.

2011-07-31_00037.jpg

Italian pain and shame in Ethiopia, 24 August.

Next morning at first light Spanish bombers flying from Tunis attacked the Italian garrison in Sardinia.