• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mind you, thus far it would appear that the Germans have wholesale neglected to build any tanks *at all*... maybe their somewhat poor showing in Spain a few years back made Berlin suspicious of such British-invented gadgetry or something?

My money is one the tiger that 88mm gun will make a mess of any group of spear men add on to that those two MG 34s and those spear men will be dead in no time.

Let's hope the Soviets have at least upgraded to crossbows when Barbarossa starts! :p

Interesting photo by the way. That must be a captured Tiger for that smiling guy up there looks like American Joe, not Wehrmacht. No doubt they captured hundreds of Tigers in France and had good time to shoot pictures as well.

Mind you, thus far it would appear that the Germans have wholesale neglected to build any tanks *at all*... maybe their somewhat poor showing in Spain a few years back made Berlin suspicious of such British-invented gadgetry or something?

Ah! A new page! :D

Yes, Legion Condor performed so badly Hitler decided never to build those lousy tanks again! He's going to conquer the world with leather boots.

Seriously I think that since in HPP infantry is very deadly and countries have more manpower AI makes some cost-effectiveness calculation and thinks that infantry is the best. Later when they research better tank tech this might change. When I think about it HPP AIs do many crazy things, and this bizarre infantry fetish is just one of them.

Let's hope the Soviets have at least upgraded to crossbows when Barbarossa starts! :p

Interesting photo by the way. That must be a captured Tiger for that smiling guy up there looks like American Joe, not Wehrmacht. No doubt they captured hundreds of Tigers in France and had good time to shoot pictures as well.

Well your right about the Tiger it is a captured one. But not from France but actually from Africa. I doubt there were hundreds of Captured tigers on all fronts they only built 1347 or so.

Russian Crossbow men
syriancrossbowmen7lk.jpg

(Once again not Russian but It's rather hard to find such pictures)

Versus

Tiger 2
Tiger2-sSSPzAbt.501-France.1944-02.png

Once Again my money is on the Tiger as I doubt a crossbow could do anything against a tiger unless the guy leapt up on to it and fired in to it.

Well your right about the Tiger it is a captured one. But not from France but actually from Africa. I doubt there were hundreds of Captured tigers on all fronts they only built 1347 or so.

Russian Crossbow men
syriancrossbowmen7lk.jpg

(Once again not Russian but It's rather hard to find such pictures)

Versus

Tiger 2
Tiger2-sSSPzAbt.501-France.1944-02.png

Once Again my money is on the Tiger as I doubt a crossbow could do anything against a tiger unless the guy leapt up on to it and fired in to it.

Looks like you dont know Soviet tactics my friend....There are 50 of those Soviet soldier on a Tiger 50 from all side vs 1 Tiger doesnt seem too good for the crew :D

Or they just leave the bugger shoot at bushes and go steal its fuel and spare parts (and shoot the mechanics while they're at it). Though that would be atypically sophisticated tactics for the Red Army. :p
BTW most tank crews went into action with at least the main hatches unlocked; primarily should rapid egress become necessary (seeing as how being burned alive rather sucks), but the commanders also needed to peek out a lot just to keep track of the situation and often the only way any infantry around could communicate with the crew was by someone climbing onto the vehicle to talk face-to-face with the commander...
It should be pretty obvious what kinds of problems this could cause when swarmed by *hostile* infantry - those pistol ports, turret-rear MGs (which the Soviets were fond of) and diverse sidearms (including that bizarre Krummlauf gadget the Germans came up with for the StG44) for the crews were all there for a reason.

Also given the chronic problems the Tigers had with mechanical reliability and the sheer difficulty of towing the big lugs away, I would be very surprised if there *weren't* hundreds of them captured on all fronts. Didn't the Germans lose more of them through breakdowns, immobilisation and plain running out of fuel than to enemy fire?

Looks like you dont know Soviet tactics my friend....There are 50 of those Soviet soldier on a Tiger 50 from all side vs 1 Tiger doesnt seem too good for the crew :D

And then Russians thrown empty bottles of vodka on them until the Tiger cannot move anymore. :D

I'm not sure if we are going to see any great tank battles since none of the big players seems to any interest in them. As far as I can tell, Germans do not have even a singe medium tank yet.

Also given the chronic problems the Tigers had with mechanical reliability and the sheer difficulty of towing the big lugs away, I would be very surprised if there *weren't* hundreds of them captured on all fronts. Didn't the Germans lose more of them through breakdowns, immobilisation and plain running out of fuel than to enemy fire?

I suppose most Tigers were lost as 'captured' instead of 'destroyed.' The bloody machines broke down and crews had to abandon them often. Don't have any statistics, but I suppose both Allies and Soviets captured scores of them intact.

fascinating update, but it does look like the Soviets are in big trouble already, if you fail to stop the Germans in France its hard to see them holding off a German attack themselves

True, but if I fail to stop Germans in France that's gonna be the least of my worries. :(

Amazingly it seems all my allies and would-be allies are more or less hopeless. Except the brave Ethiopia.

Chapter 9: OPERATION SNOW WHITE - The bloody struggle for Denmark - April 4 1940

battle_norway21.jpg

Danish machine-gun team.

Historical note: Both Germany and UK had long glanced towards Scandinavia as a possible battleground against each other. Germany was looking to secure her imports of iron ore from Sweden and using Norwegian airports against UK, and UK was trying to use blockade strategy to strange Germany, relying on her superior navy. We all probably know that Denmark historically capitulated on April 9th after less than six hours of brave resistance. German losses were 203, Denmark lost 16 dead. Interestingly the first recorded attack in the world made by paratroopers happened during Denmark campaign.
On evening of 3rd of April Germany declared war upon unexpecting Denmark whose forces were yet mobilized due to lack of any kind of human intelligence in appropriate circles. The UK and France were either unwilling or incapable of sending aid for the 'brave little democracy' that was expected to be overrun within few days. It would have been criminal recklessness to send troops for such a lost cause. Instead, UK proposed deploying troops in Norway.

Spain would have none of it! For obvious reasons Spanish High Command was determined to defend Scandinavia and soldiers were even more enthusiastic. A cunning plan had been made prior to SNOW WHITE. On morning hours of 1st of April four divisions of 6th Corps silently embarked their transport ships and departed towards Denmark, protected by whole of the Spanish fleet. These divisions were newly formed, and were thus picked for this important mission since they were armed with most modern weapons available. These divisions were;

16th- 'Sweet Sixteen'
17th- 'Red Cross' (All fervent communist-catholics of Spain were put into this division)
18th- 'Anton Shugar' (Divisional motto: "Call it, friendo")
19th- 'Christian Charity' (Divisional motto:"It is better to give than to receive")
20th- 'Johnny Bravo'​

20th 'Johnny Bravo' was to follow later, due to lack of transport capacity. OPERATION SHOW WHITE was thus launched on 1st of April in case Germany would declare war on Denmark. As it was, Germany fulfilled all expectations by doing so two days later, 2000 hours on evening of 3rd. But at this point expedition force had already cleared coast of Norway and was approaching Denmark silently, thus far unnoticed by German Kriegsmarine.

2011-06-27_00011.jpg

As message of German declaration of war was transmitted to navy, all men knew that time was of essence. Only few minutes later strong formation of German planes begun to attack surprised Danish formations. Spanish military experts cursed wildly naive Danes who had neither mobilized their army, nor dug foxholes. Soon whole Danish Army was retreating in hopeless chaos. But now expeditionary force was only hours away.

Meanwhile Spanish planes carried out a daring and most surprising attack on nearby German city of Kiel, damaging surprised planes on the ground. By decoded intelligence information attackers knew that 'the Whale' himself, Hermann Goering was present. It was believed that he was eating a 20-course meal alone when attack happened. Instead of taking a firm grasp of his command, however, he ordered 21st course.

goering.jpg

Herman Goering, Hitler's long time friend and advisor, Marshall of the Luftwaffe, in official propaganda photo.

2011-06-27_00015.jpg

But soon powerful (and better commanded) fighter formation attacked and Spanish pilots were forced to retreat with some slight losses.

But at 13:00 5th Spanish divisions finally clambered out of their transports, stiff-legged and bored, but in full combat order. Unfortunately they had no time to take pictures of local blondes, for they were instantly packed into trains and sent to hold the 'Little Belt' between the Danish island of Funen and the Jutland Peninsula. Meanwhile Danish Parliament had not been very hospitable, for they were very busy making little swastika flags from cheap paper and learning to sing "Deutschlandlied." Spanish HQ in Copenhagen had suspicions that the mentality of the government was defeatist. Danish army was in full retreat and Spanish navy (often simply known as 'Armada') was covering its retreat with all guns blazing.

Germans had ships nearby, including two battleships, but these took no part in first phases of SNOW WHITE. Through captured communications it became obvious that German admirals thought the Spanish operation was a mere British bait since "nobody would do something so stupid without major backup! Those Brits must be lurking nearby!" So naval support for Germans failed to materialize.

2011-06-27_00016.jpg

But on 2200 hours on evening of 8th of April thunderous news stuck the Spanish expeditionary force; Denmark had surrendered! These monumental news were immediately delivered to General Miaja, the top Spanish general, who had taken command of the divisions in Denmark through radio. A historical exchange followed;

President Manuel called: 'General, this is an emergency! Denmark has capitulated!'

'Then it must be some another Denmark.' General replied. 'I'm currently in Copenhagen organizing my command....'

'Denmark capitulated five minutes ago! Their whole army gave up their arms and went home! Both Germans and Danish broadcasted the news!'

'But then my mission has failed.' General said with tone of urgency. 'We must evacuate immediately...'

'And hell you evacuate!' President shouted. 'Five Spanish divisions are not afraid of whole Wehrmacht! DO NOT RETURN WITHOUT BATTLE! To make my point clear, I gave executive orders to redeploy transport ships in France.'

General looked unhappily towards the harbor. Indeed, Spanish transports ships were sailing away, sailors waving a happy bye-bye.

'But Manuel, I have only 35 secretaries here at the moment! If Copenhagen has capitulated...' General tried one last time.

'Then liberate it!' President shouted and cut the line.

2011-06-27_00022.jpg

General pondered his options for few minutes, in deep silence. Five Spanish divisions were rushing through the night to meet the German onslaught, but currently in Copenhagen he had only few of HQ staff, mainly pretty young secretaries of Signal Department. Rationing had not affected Denmark yet so currently they were out in town, shopping lipstick and hanging around in bars.

However, he was not called the best general in Spain for nothing. Within fifteen minutes he had located every member of his staff and armed them with new Subfusil Star submachine guns and occasional heavy MG. In twenty-five minutes they were in the House of Parliament. Rushing up the wide stone steps, they entered the Chamber as some important looking folk were reading out an declaration that sounded like an official capitulation. But since Danish was completely incomprehensible to everybody, nobody could tell.Without wasting a moment General jumped on nearest table and emptied his magazine in to the roof, shouting in Spanish "Thus I declare you all liberated!"

A bedlam followed. Members of Danish Parliament mistook their liberators for Germans and begun frantically waving small swastika flags and singing in poor German. On other hand none of the liberators understood a word that was said, increasing the confusion. It was only hours later, with help of French and British military advisors, that Danes understood that they were indeed liberated. The news were not welcome, now Denmark would become one of the battleground of the war, a fate most would have liked to avoid. But since all Danish soldiers had gone home and Spain had nearly 60000 heavily armed soldiers around, Parliament had little room to maneuver and grudgingly Denmark joined the Alliance again.

Danish people took the new much better. Now Danish soldiers did not need to fight, and people could tell Germans that they were acting under extreme Allied pressure. So Denmark was liberated 38 minutes after the capitulation, by a group of Spanish girls with machine-guns.

2011-06-27_00026.jpg

But now everything depended upon five Spanish divisions that raced to meet the enemy, quite unaware of the monumental events that had taken place at same time. By this time two divisions had reached Faaborg, and dug in to receive the enemy that expected to meet no resistance. Spanish bombers had handily destroyed the only bridge over the strait and Germans had to collect an armada of barges and fishing-boats for crossing.

Unaware of enemy presence, the first German troops of 321th Infantry Division crossed the Lillebælt on evening of 9th. The morale was very high among Germans, as men chatted and joked about the Danish resistance; "What is the best joke you know, Kurt? The Danish Army!" Everybody laughed. Unfortunate men did not know that they were working under enemy gun barrels, and that they were to take part in one of the most infamous battles of the war. Three Spanish divisions had arrived and camouflaged around the Germans. Soldiers calmly zeroed their weapons on unexpecting enemy, waiting for the order to fire. To men who fought in Denmark the campaign represented more than mere military action. It was also retribution for the Civil War and for the fates of Poland and Czechoslovakia. There was not to be no retreat.

The order to open fire came at 1900 hours.

Germans on the far side were shocked and enraged to suddenly witness their comrades cut down by withering machine-gun fire, and survivors captured by enemies they thought were Danish. Furious German commander took contact to defenders.

'This is obersturmblitzfuhrer Franz Flakpanzer! Danish soldiers, put down your weapons! Your government has surrendered, repeat surrendered! Do not make your situation any worse!'

'I'm very sorry to inform you that the Danish went home yesterday, señor.' Repeated the Spanish general.

'Who the hell are you then?'

'This is general Miaja of 1st Army of Republic of Spain, if you did not figure it out yet. Pleasure to meet you.'

'Himmel! It's those crazy Spaniards! I got enough of them in '36! How are we going to explain this to...Uh...surrender or die, untermensch!'

'Not likely, but if you surrender now we'll promise give you mojitos!'

It became obvious that Germans did not like mojitos since they launched a massive artillery bombardment followed by infantry assault. This marked the beginning of the first Battle of Faaborg.

The German soldiers went to combat eagerly, expecting the easy victories of Poland and Denmark. But Wehrmacht had little experience with opposed amphibious landings and attacking soldiers had barely any understanding of the full horrors they were to go through. From the very beginning, everything was against them. They had no naval support and both artillery and airstrikes made little impact against fortified infantry positions. Germans had no training for such warfare and no specialized equipment, and they were attacking against some of the most defensible positions in all of Europe.

2011-06-27_00040.jpg

While the width of Lillebælt strait varied between 800 and 26000 meters, the current was extreme and the water deadly cold. Even good swimmer struggling in these waters could expect to live only ten minutes, much less when hostile gunfire was applied. Every time German formations came within the range of Spanish guns a veritable curtain of fire closed upon them, causing extreme casualties while unfortunate Germans had little opportunity to shoot back. Countless boats were lost to well-coordinated enemy fire and men vanished into cold waters, never to be seen again. It soon became obvious that the battle was going to be neither easy, nor very pleasant. Yet the Germans kept attacking stubbornly, outnumbered and outgunned. It was Führers order that Denmark was to be taken, and no questions were to be asked.

At evening of 10th badly shaken Germans suddenly witnessed large shapes sailing from the South, and soldiers gave a spontaneous cheer, perceiving that Kriegsmarine had finally arrived to assist them. Their hopes quickly evaporated as Spanish Armada opened fire from point-blank range with all guns. If war was coordinated confusion, the Battle of Faaborg now became organized slaughter. Spanish ships fired effortlessly upon helpless infantrymen and larger boats simply rammed German landing crafts, smashing them to splinters. Even sailors on decks poured small-arms fire on Germans, heaping insult on injury.

But still Germans kept attacking. If the Battle of Faaborg stood as monument to extraordinary courage and determination of ordinary German soldiers, it also represented strategical insanity, tactical idiocy and shocking disregard of human lives. Germans fought the battle in the name of duty but in service of folly.

XXXX.jpg

Battle of Faaborg from 9th to 27th of April.

With unfailing instinct to reinforce failure Germans kept sending new divisions to replace the shattered remains of their precursors. Spanish commanders estimated that during the battle eight German divisions were practically annihilated, suffering over 30% killed along with immense quantities of equipment. Battle lasted from 9th to 27th of April during which time Spanish defenders came under constant bombings from German Junkers Ju 87s, usually knows as Stukas. Despite heavy casualties Spanish lines held and finally exhausted Germans were driven back. The outcome of the battle revealed the appalling scope of slaughter that had taken place.

2011-06-27_00060.jpg

Spain had lost 2228 brave men who were given military burials on the shore they had given their lives to defend, along with some 2000 who had died from German bombs. But Germans had lost 24000 men killed or, in few lucky cases, captured. The shores were littered with German casualties and remains of bullet-ridden boats. The outcome of the battle was so appealing it send shock waves through the Nazi state. Not even German propaganda could hide the fact that two divisions worth of young men had been wasted in most reckless and criminal manner. Reports were heard that in Berlin officers were fired and court-martialled for the 'shameful failure' of Faaborg. Hitler raged against "The conspiracy of Wall Street cronies and Chinese (??) Bolsheviks" for this "sabotage."In truth, he had commanded his armies with nearly criminal lack of intelligence.

Many things were learned from this 'baptism by fire.' Spanish medical services were proven excellent, having saved hundreds of lives that would otherwise have been lost. Also daring action by Navy received warm gratitude from all who witnessed it. But most importantly it proved the worth of Spanish weapons and tactics against the Fascists. The "miracle" of Faaborg was not result, as some suggested, of divine intervention but deep understanding of infantry tactics and coordination. Massed firepower from support weapons could easily be delivered thanks to advanced radios, while even small groups of soldiers could deliver heavy firepower thanks to liberal distribution of machine-guns and mortars.

Also limitations were revealed. German leadership on the field was still superior to Spanish, despite nearly six months of excessive work by major military academies in Spain. Aircrafts and artillery were major cause of casualties, and little could be done for either. Every time Spanish aircraft gave battle to Luftwaffe, they were defeated with heavy casualties.

Since Nazi policies were above all reason, they declared war on Norway just for fun. This proved beneficial for Spanish divisions in Denmark since now Navy could use Oslo as a base of operations, and also Norwegian Air- and Naval forces aided Denmark. Sometimes Norwegian planes even clashed with Slovakians over Faaborg.

2011-06-27_00044.jpg

On 27th Germans attacked Faaborg again with nearly demented determination. But this time the effort was weaker, and German morale lacking. German soldiers had developed condition know as Suppekrankheit, the 'Soup sickness.' The symptoms included turning green and fainting every time crossing the 'Soup' was mentioned.

2011-06-27_00062.jpg

battle_norway8.jpg

These German soldiers were lucky not to be sent over the 'Soup'

The battle itself proved relatively uneventful. By practiced routine the Spanish Armada came to the rescue, delivering the usual crippling casualties to Germans. The battle lasted a week, after which Germans could count 9500 dead, costing the Spanish merely 500.

2011-06-30_00003.jpg

The only sudden excitement to the bloody routine came at 7th of May as Kriegsmarine made it's only attempt to support the struggling Heer. Suddenly Spanish light cruiser Miguel de Cervantes came under fire by German Battleship Schleswig-Holstein, suffering a hit and few casualties. However Schleswig-Holstein was an old battleship, mainly used for practice purposes, and proved completely unsuited for taking on the whole Spanish Armada. Within few moments it came under fire from every barrel Spain had while torpedoes crisscrossed the waters around it, and few shells caused havoc on the decks. Quickly the German admiral Raeder understood that caution is the better part of valor and fled, leaving the German infantry to suffer. After the battle Miguel was sent to Oslo for repairs, but skirmish was tactical victory for Spain. If Germany had the air superiority Spain ruled the waves, a source of enormous grief for German infantry.

2011-06-27_00073.jpg

ship_schleswigholstein6.jpg

Schleswig-Holstein.

Lesser battles were fought fiercely between the major clashes, always resulting in costly German defeats. In Madrid, Paris and London the headlines sagged under the superlatives the had to carry. The 'Miracle' of Faaborg was praised by all Allies, save the British government that had refused to take any part in it. Now it seemed that Germans could be defeated. However, the Spanish divisions were now hardened veterans but also nearly exhausted after a month of brutal fighting, and relief was proposed. As transports sailed from Oslo to Caen to bring reinforcements stunning news were again received; Germany had declared war on Benelux Countries! (Expected Luxemburg that declared war on Germany. German ambassador laughed on floor upon receiving this.)

2011-06-27_00078.jpg

Fascist attack on Benelux, 9th of May.

Unfortunately it became obvious that none of the Benelux-countries had mobilized their armies, which were sill in 25% strength. Without intervention from Spain, France and UK they would be overpowered in a matter of days.

'Who the hell has coded this game!' President Manuel cried in dismay upon hearing this.

Now French divisions begun a desperate rush to save their allies, and Spanish divisions rushed in to save the French. Spanish commanders quickly took out the plans for OPERATION CINDARELLA, the defence of France. ALso Spanish HQ quickly drafted a daring plan to save Amsterdam. The city held most of Dutch industry and all supplies, and it's loss would quickly result in collapse of Dutch supply situation. The plan called for naval transport of five divisions to Amsterdam, which was to be held to the last bullet.

2011-06-25_00041.jpg

It was named OPERATION SLAPDANCE, and would commence immediately. The die was cast.

In Madrid President Manuel Azaña sighed deeply and let the pen drop on the desk from his tired fingers. Signing so many letters to families of the fallen soldiers was killing him. He was too old for all this war and combat. He should have retired long time ago. Suddenly his reflections were disturbed by familiar steps outside his office, and without thinking he shouted the visitor to enter. Of course it was Martínez.

The big general was grinning like mad after his (He called it his victory) in Faaborg, and now he was holding an important looking letter as well.

'Good evening Boss! A personal letter to you! From important circles!' President gestured impatiently him to stop.

'More congratulations from Paris? Some reinforcements would be more welcome.'

'No Boss! From Berlin!'

President tore the envelope open in record time. Indeed, it was from Berlin, and from very notable person. His knuckles grew white as he read the short message. It read;

"U CAMPER NOOB! BUY AN AWP U SISSY! SEE YOU SOON IN MADRID LOL!

With kind regards

Adolf"​

'That corporal dares to call me a noob though he does not understand himself that infantry takes -80% amphibious penalty!' President cried. 'General, get me a straw!'

'What kind, Boss? Big or small or...'

'GET ME A BLOODY STRAW YOU IDIOT!' Within five seconds the general had departed and returned with a drinking straw. The president inserted the straw into an envelope addressed to Berlin along with a letter;

'LOL U GOT TROLLED IN DENMARK. HAVE A STRAW CAUSE U SUCK!

Yours truly

Manuel'

Last edited:
Poor Killtler can't play HOI3 correctly.... :D

Thanks for reading again, all nice people!

Poor Killtler can't play HOI3 correctly.... :D

But at least he has a straw now so he can drink some milk or something. :D

pity another of your potential allies has proved useless though

That wasn't so bad, but Benelux Countries not mobilizing their armies was rather nasty surprise. What do they put into drinking water there?

Awesome. I love that about Denmark. It prematurely ejacsurrendered . :D

Yet it still lasted far longer than historically. :p Historically they surrendered in record six hours, now after four days, six hours. My heroes...

If Spain manages to drive back the German blitzkrieg Hitler will be LOLed for ever and ever.

Thanks again for comments! Best reward for writer.

I approve. Now go and kill Fascists with your AWP! Sniping them from the Maginot Line bunkers could be fun...

Proposition as the new service rifle of Spanish Army:

Bundeswehr-Technik_02_RaBoe.jpg

moAAR damage! Hitler trembles already.

Great work in Denmark! Medals for General Miaja, his men and his secretaries! :D

I'll deliver the message, hope the girls get those lipsticks as well. They earned them. /\ _ /\

Thanks for reading gentlemen (ladies?), hope you enjoyed so far. I'm sorry to say but the fate of Benelux Countries must wait few days, work to do IRL. (No rest for the wicked and so on...) Believe it or not, writing this occasionally takes some time, and sometimes few days are needed to invent more insults. Next update in near future.

(By the way, if somebody wants to propose more silly names for divisions to come, I'm all ears.) :/

Last edited:
"Only headshots allowed - think of the supply situation boys! ...and I want to get that achievement before the jerks in the other division do..."

And over the next year fishermen all around the North Sea and the western Baltic would wonder why their catches seemed to be unusually large and fat. ;)
Geek hat to whomever recognises that reference.

You gotta wonder how well that kind of fiasco would have gone over in Berlin IRL; I assume that at the very least an arbitrary but doubtless large number of senior officers would spend the next year or few in what agrarian societies refer to as "the doghouse".
Also Hitler, as well as a considerable portion of the OKW, would probably take their first unsteady steps down the long and bitter path to bona fide alcoholism. They'd certainly have a good excuse to start hitting the bottle... :D