• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't get it, how do you win against Richy? He just wipes the floor with all my mercs and puny army I got :(
I didn't bother going to war with him. I just married my eldest son to his daughter and, when she was assassinated, granddaughter until my grandson inherited everything. Killed three birds with one stone there.

I don't get it, how do you win against Richy? He just wipes the floor with all my mercs and puny army I got :(
You don't.

My run as Konan and his son :
Being a norman mysef, I did not want to be mean with William, so I waited for him to conquer England, then swore fealty.
In the meantime I kept seducing William's daughters, eventually marrying one of them.
I conquered the duchy of Normandy from the inside, then plotted to create a claim on the kingdom of France, which I conquered with the help of the Kaiser.
I then joined the Crusade for Egypt and won it, Konan remained in France while his cadet son Osmond ruled the new crusader kingdom.
As soon as Konan died, Osmond reclaimed France from his elder brother, pushed his claim for England which he inherited from his mother, and even won the Crusade for Jerusalem, and is now second in the line of succession.

Time to visit Wales now:cool:

20191102153352_1.jpg

Hey, a bit of a warning. In the latest Welsh challenge, I got all the point in the first 2 challenges, and all but 2 in the last. I started a new game in order to try to get the remaining from the last, and it took away the 3 points I got from the challenge to own all of Wales.

I finally beat England as Wales.
It was not Richy tho, he passed too soon. It took me 1 failed invasion (started with Richy, white peaced with his son after my commanders....killed Richy in battle), gavelkind revolt afterwarcds, allying HRE and Brittany (and huge luck on AI part - HRE decided to immediately board ships and help me with battles, Bretons too), and finally +100 Pope relation to request another invasion. Time to relax and give away title or something. Also heir have weak claim on Byzantium (I married Theodora Angelos as first wife)... :rolleyes:

PrtScr capture_9.jpg

In the meantime, my ruler was stressed, depressed, cancerous and with measles... After failed quest for immortality... o_O Now only cancer remains. Legendary persistence

I joined the crusade for egypt but only got around 4th place in contribution. Got ~4k gold and prestige as well as ~2k piety. Richard the Lionheart got himself excommunicated and depleted a majority of his troops defending from an excommunication war from France as well as a Welsh Liberation revolt. I pressed a claim for Gwent (courtesy of the pope) and got Hwicce thrown in as a bargain. Richard died, I became king of Wales, annexed Deheubarth, and pressed a de jure duchy claim for Cornwall against Richard's daughter.

I saw that the duke of Meath controlled most of Ireland and a good chunk of England, with his heir being the duke of Brittany. Some cathars had managed to take over Penthieve so I holy warred them and then won a vassalization war against Brittany. I assassinated the duke of Meath and then spent a decade waiting for all my children to grow up while revoking titles for my dynasty members.

20191103094428_1.jpg

I stockpiled money for mercs and allied with Scotland. I didn't win the war but his realm fractured into two kingdoms. After that it was easy to pick up my de jure territories, somehow got an alliance with France around that time.

Went pretty standard way as many of you guys did. Joined crusade, got 4k money, Invaded France. Took France and immediatly pushed Englands back from Normandy and a little bit later from Anjou. That gave enough Prestige to form Empire. Easy way from that moment on, swallowed England in single war after.

trying to get the unlocks, just makes the game.. not fun. Which is the opposite of hype for CK3, engineered to drive you away from crusader kings..
I really hope there's eventually another way to get these cosmetic contents, paid dlc or something, as seriously, this just, isn't fun and who's got time for that.

trying to get the unlocks, just makes the game.. not fun. Which is the opposite of hype for CK3, engineered to drive you away from crusader kings..
I really hope there's eventually another way to get these cosmetic contents, paid dlc or something, as seriously, this just, isn't fun and who's got time for that.
I found both of these challenges quite fun.

Done.
Deheubarth through claim to the Pope and break tributary.
Cornwall and Gwent by claim as Brith... Wales' King (England is prone to have conflicts with France, Scotland, HRE and maybe internal rebellions, so a perfect timing is required to fight back).
Upper Britanny with two fabricated claims (also would work with Penthievre, easy to catch. Ireland's duchies fall quickly to England or Scotland.)
Kent, Aquitaine and Ynysoedd Gogledd (Oarkney for friends) by marriage and, inheritance or claims (beware about regulated inheritance)
The final trick is granting Powys and Gwynedd (as King, you only need a county!)

The best of CK2... is about making your own way in never repeating games. So there's not a unique answer. :)
PD: France become a bordergore after three Crusades with diseminated counties of Egypt, Jerusalem and Crusader Jerusalem.

you can easily gain territories by mariage. There is a lot of females heirs
The matches aren't gender specific. ANY of your kids (even the illegitimate ones) married to ANY English character with a title or claim. Heirs are not required. Even the youngest daughter of a Count (not sure on Baronies). Just check for that claim icon.

You can form (or prepare to form) Wales with a single fabricated claim, too. Recruit a suitably good Chancellor and set him to fabricate one of the tributary counties and you'll likely have it before the Crusade starts or the Pope likes you (took me two months). Release the tributary, press your claim and if you don't want to vassalize to Richard, create the second duchy, form Wales and vassalize the remaining county (which should be automatic with same religion and culture and their dejure King. Was for me). You now have your legal claim on the last three counties and just have to deal with England to get 'em (but marriage is now an option as any of your vassals that inherit the Duchy will bring it over to Wales).

The tricky one here is getting the extra duchies (+5 required to get 9 to hand out). Several routes - I went with vassalizing to Richard, grabbing land internally and doing an independence revolt against his unpopular, excommunicated successor (not my work. I think Uncle John might have set that one up on the poor kid). Saved just after all that concluded, so still sorting out the Duchy handoffs, but hope to have all achievements done tonight.

One thing though - no point in trying to fight Richard in all his power and glory directly. You CAN win this one peacefully (though the short war to take over the tributary is the easiest way to form Wales - still, marrying it into your domain is possible...); once Wales is formed you can marry-absorb the three counties you need in England, and enough others to get the required Duchies.

Lots of Duchies in Ireland.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand - I was not playing as Richard, Richard is King of England, your main "target" as a challenger Llywelyn. So this happened with zero involvement from my side. And I highly doubt there were any factions during Crusade in England. And why he is in Holy Order?
In my game he left England to lead the TO. Left a child on the throne giving the pope ample reason to grant me an invasion. Don't understand how Richard left in the first place.

Of course, like anything, some people will enjoy it and some will not. Most people seem to enjoy this challenge, though.

I have a hard time believing that even among those who dislike it, there will be significant amounts of people who will play the challenge and decide not to buy CK3 because of them, heh. :)

Not wont buy, just, burnt out and less hypey than would be otherwise. And slightly bummed at not having unlocked the joan of arc hair...
It'd just be cool for those of us who are busy (exam season hello) or just, prefer the game with mods on so want to use what playing time we've got playing with the mods, had a route to unlocking this content too. Sale would be good as its still rewarding the people who unlock cos, free stuff. But not making it exclusive.

Not wont buy, just, burnt out and less hypey than would be otherwise. And slightly bummed at not having unlocked the joan of arc hair...
It'd just be cool for those of us who are busy (exam season hello) or just, prefer the game with mods on so want to use what playing time we've got playing with the mods, had a route to unlocking this content too. Sale would be good as its still rewarding the people who unlock cos, free stuff. But not making it exclusive.
They confirmed, that challenges will stay until CK3 launch. And you can complete them at any time. You will have PLENTY of time to unlock everything. Didn't you knew that? 'casue if you knew and still complain...that's some next level of complaining o_O Both challenges so far don't really take much time, can be done following the steps of pioneers and unlocks are just cosmetics. I would argue PDX should NOT give these any other way - this way I, who will put some effort, can have something unique, something no one can just go and buy in 1 dollar shop. For me it's not only fun as is, but also paying some form of respect to devs, who drafted these challenges, who overall created this game (heck, I never started later than 1066 - and oh my I actually missed some fun stuff, like this:
Tagroviste is titular Cuman kingdom, Hungary and Croatia both were invaded and currently ruled by Cuman descendants. That's not even Khazaria level of invasions :D
PrtScr capture_10.jpg

So, yeah. Thanks @Paradox for this journey's you remind us of (giving presents in the meantime)!