• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So I'm playing the latest challenge, business as usual, when suddenly my wife births a Genius who I soon discover to be a child of destiny! Yay, right? Not really... A seventh child and daughter. She'll go off and do her own thing one day, but it'd take a minor act of God for me to ever get to play her. :(

So I'm playing the latest challenge, business as usual, when suddenly my wife births a Genius who I soon discover to be a child of destiny! Yay, right? Not really... A seventh child and daughter. She'll go off and do her own thing one day, but it'd take a minor act of God for me to ever get to play her. :(
Why don't you give tanistry a try (and maybe strategically send of your children to various locations)?

Why don't you give tanistry a try (and maybe strategically send of your children to various locations)?

I already changed my succession law to primogeniture, and you know the rule: only once per lifetime. :( I suppose I could try that on the next ruler, but I thought you couldn't vote for a female tanist unless there were no males?

(Tanistry isn't my field of expertise as you can tell. :) )

Killing off six children through putting them in bad situations would be way too hard to pull off. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will only get to admire her deeds from afar. :)

What the f..k just happened???!
ck2_5.jpg

but I thought you couldn't vote for a female tanist unless there were no males?
I think you can, but I'm not exactly sure now that you mention it.

I think you can, but I'm not exactly sure now that you mention it.

With true cognatic succession you can. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?

With true cognatic succession you can. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?
No, I don't think so. Maybe you do need Agnatic-Cognatic. I'll have to check.
Regardless, changing the, uhh 'gender preference' law has never been any trouble in my experience.

No, I don't think so. Maybe you do need Agnatic-Cognatic. I'll have to check.
Regardless, changing the, uhh 'gender preference' law has never been any trouble in my experience.

How would you go cognatic when you have no Status of Women laws, and already changed the succession law once? :)

I've only had that happen once and it was during a major rebellion I think. Something misfires when it puts the realm back together maybe?

PS. You can vote for a woman with Tanistry but other voters will hate her, -50 Against Tradition modifier I think.
There was no rebellion. We were crusading for Egypt. Is there any events for a Crusader to join the Holy Order in a midst of Crusade or smth? Beccause this makes 0 sense to me :eek:

There was no rebellion. We were crusading for Egypt. Is there any events for a Crusader to join the Holy Order in a midst of Crusade or smth? Beccause this makes 0 sense to me :eek:
Maybe a relative of yours gained land in the conquered territory and it misfired due to that?

Maybe a relative of yours gained land in the conquered territory and it misfired due to that?
I think you misunderstand - I was not playing as Richard, Richard is King of England, your main "target" as a challenger Llywelyn. So this happened with zero involvement from my side. And I highly doubt there were any factions during Crusade in England. And why he is in Holy Order?

Don't need that for A-C

Ok, I checked the Wiki, and it appears that women can be freely nominated during agnatic-cognatic tanistry. Thanks for the tip! :)

That's separate from the gender preference laws, I think.

Unfortunately not. :( If you change either form of succesion law or gender laws then that's it for the current character.

I think you misunderstand - I was not playing as Richard, Richard is King of England, your main "target" as a challenger Llywelyn. So this happened with zero involvement from my side. And I highly doubt there were any factions during Crusade in England. And why he is in Holy Order?
I guess he found God then. :D

Unfortunately not. :( If you change either form of succesion law or gender laws then that's it for the current character.
Ah, that's a pity.

Yeah, with tanistry you can freely vote for women with Ag-Cog but your voters will usually have an 'against tradition' penalty, so make sure they like you--though they may already like her enough if she's a genius CoD (and obviously there's no such penalty with abs-cog).

1: Join the crusade that should be called a couple of months into the game
2: You have to get lucky here, but if you do it right you can around 10k gold that you can use for mercenaries
3: Ask the pope for a claim on Deheubarth
4: Take it and form Wales
5: Ask the pope for a claim on Gwent
(Optionally: get an alliance with the HRE)
6: Attack England for Gwent

You should now be strong enough to start attacking random people. Scotland is a good target.
1 and 2 are the same, but ask the Pope for an invasion of England instead (Richard has a tendency to make an antipope and generally anger the Pope). Use gold and mercs to win it (ideally occupying a few whole duchies so you keep them for your kids, and definitely occupying Cornwall/Gwent). Your starting territories+formerly English-controlled Wales should give you enough to create Wales, and then vassalize the rest. Now just survive long enough for your kids to marry English nobles, and hand out some duchies to them, and you're done.