• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am sending a refueling station to Moby in Psi Ceti, just to simplify logistics. It will allow us to withdraw the Tanker.

The Psi Ceti system is still of negligible importance, except for its location adjacent to Sol.

The last four legacy Sabres are currently upgrading to Sabre V.

Then our entire Sabre force will be the most modern type.

We will continue producing them, to form a reserve Sabre force.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am currently putting a research focus on Stealth technology, so that we can begin feeling out those two Galapagonian systems.

Our Strike Fighters are slowly being upgraded to the latest tech. We now have 234 of the newest (three-missile) model deployed.

More than a month has gone by, and I think we can call this latest Pirate raid over. What a paper tiger!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Our Freighters have transferred a Refueling Station to Moby in Psi Ceti, and the Tankers that we have kept on-station in that star system can now hand over their fuel to the planetary infrastructure and withdraw back to Sol.

Debating whether to send them a Shuttle Station... I think I will. I hate developing star systems that bring no particular benefit, but refueling facilities are of limited use if we can't also provide spare parts to any passing ships that need them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you have officer positions open - something exciting - I'm all ears.

Still catching up reading though..on page 14 or so.

If you have officer positions open - something exciting - I'm all ears.

Still catching up reading though..on page 14 or so.
The Sabre class Gunships have seen the most action and usually arrive at the trouble-spot first. They move at 11,000 kps.

Sounds great!

We are making excellent progress on Stealth techs, as a preparation for infiltrating the Galapagonian-held systems.

We have improved our Stealth level to the same as the Pirates (90% stealthy), and have also gained the ability to build stealthy engines (-75% thermal signature).

We are now working on reducing the minimum size of Stealth Field Generators (currently a minimum of 600 tons).

The gear is still too bulky for my tastes, at 1/6th of the ship's displacement. I'd like to make it more compact.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The Fleet AWACS refits are complete... all Admirals upgraded to the 6,600 kps Admiral II. The Gauss PD Frigate upgrades are on their last cycle.

... in short, it won't be long before the whole Fleet is upgraded.

sb-702.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
So are you people happy with the level of detail that I'm reporting?

Would you prefer that I skip the actual maneuvering and fighting and just report the results instead?

Hell no. I love the details.
Keep it up, this stuff is thrilling.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Early March, 2004.

The last of the Blaze class Laser PD Destroyers has upgraded to Blaze III. This version has that fast-firing Spinal laser, as well as a dozen PD barrels (three quad-barreled mounts).

sb-703.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Sabre situation is looking good. All of our Sabre squadrons have been converted to the latest model (Sabre V), and we've built up a reserve force of another 20 Sabre V ships back at Earth.

sb-704.jpg

Eight more are under construction.

I'm thinking of sending out some of our reserve to increase the size of all the in-system Sabre squadrons from four ships each to six each.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another idea...

Should we try to design Sabre-sized, Sabre speed Tankers? PD vessels? Supply ships (for spare parts)?

The Tankers and supply ships will be tricky simply because the gear has a minimum size... is it 500 tons? The PD ships are tricky because Gauss PD is bulky.

Would supply ships offer a significant advantage over using the same ship building time for more Sabres?

I’m not sure about the tankers, have you had issues with Sabre operational range?

Sabre speed PD seems like it might work well if you encounter a scenario where someone is trying to throw missiles at your Sabres.

Would supply ships offer a significant advantage over using the same ship building time for more Sabres? - Every Laser shot risks a breakdown and the resulting consumption of spare parts. We've addressed this issue by increasing the on-board storage for spare parts, but adding a compatible supply ship would give us a second layer of protection against breakdowns. You need specialized machinery to pass spares to another ship... for example, one Sabre could not pass spares to another one. It lacks the machinery.

I’m not sure about the tankers, have you had issues with Sabre operational range? - They carry fuel for 23 days (because of the super-charged engine). But it usually takes two to six days just to move to another star system. So if they are acting as first responders, they arrive at the scene with some fraction of their fuel already expended.

Sabre speed PD seems like it might work well if you encounter a scenario where someone is trying to throw missiles at your Sabres. - Total vulnerability to missiles is the #1 weakness of the Sabre (aside from being as blind as a bat, which isn't particularly relevant as long as the Eyeball AWACS FACs tag along).

Reactions:
It's been going for over 50 years!

From 1948 to 2003, so far.

Well, I have finally caught up and I must say the work you've been doing here is ridiculously good. I know what kind of micromanaging madness this game entails, let alone reporting on it for months while running it. I salute you, sir.

My thoughts so far:

- this new pirate addition is awesome. It really brings in an entire new layer to this game. I love it.

- I love laser gunships shining. Huge difference between this game and the original Aurora game.
(Which, btw, I highly recommend for folks to read who haven't done so yet..)

As for current events.. I would love to see another Precursor battle. I would *also* love taking a shot at invading the Goons. I mean, a guaranteed rich planet *and* another alien species to enslave?

Who wouldn't love that?

And a planetary invasion would really show off an entirely different side of Aurora, I imagine.

Though I have no idea what that entails except, I suspect, a metric ton of ground units.

In general, while I think the approach taken so far has been rightfully cautious and meticulous, from a "how do we get lots of interesting stuff to happen" perspective, a little bit of risk taking won't hurt. Especially since tech levels, infrastructure and economy seem solid enough for the empire to take a hit or two without being an instant game over like it might have been 30 years ago.

Last edited:
So, what would trying to take that goon world from them entail, exactly?

Should we try to design Sabre-sized, Sabre speed Tankers? PD vessels? Supply ships (for spare parts)?

It depends on the purpose, really. What would the doctrine involve? Would it replace the fleet? Increase protection for medium size colonies? Why can't space stations do these things?

In a similar vein - In previous aurora versions you could get ridiculously fast ships around 400-600 tons or so. Classification as a FAC (which requires < 1000 tons) helps a lot. What kind of laser could we put on a ship like that?

I remember using that to create some company dropships, to board and capture vessels that have been disabled. Speed is key for that, as success chances depend on the speed difference of the vessels involved back then. Those may also be fun.

Well, I have finally caught up and I must say the work you've been doing here is ridiculously good. I know what kind of micromanaging madness this game entails, let alone reporting on it for months while running it. I salute you, sir. - Thank you, sir. Yes, the micro is insane... especially when we hit occasional bugs (like the "DSP in orbit" bug).

My thoughts so far:

- this new pirate addition is awesome. It really brings in an entire new layer to this game. I love it. - I also love it. The Pirates change the game completely.

- I love laser gunships shining. Huge difference between this game and the original Aurora game. - I am also enjoying the Gunship revival. The meta used to be Base Strike - Carriers and PD. Now it's a toss-up. Jeune Ecole seems to be a strong contender.
(Which, btw, I highly recommend for folks to read who haven't done so yet..)

As for current events.. I would love to see another Precursor battle. I would *also* love taking a shot at invading the Goons. I mean, a guaranteed rich planet *and* another alien species to enslave?

Who wouldn't love that?

And a planetary invasion would really show off an entirely different side of Aurora, I imagine. - It will take us a while to work our way up to that. Still focused on expanding the resource base... we are ALMOST gaining Corundium as fast as we are using it up.

Though I have no idea what that entails except, I suspect, a metric ton of ground units.

In general, while I think the approach taken so far has been rightfully cautious and meticulous, from a "how do we get lots of interesting stuff to happen" perspective, a little bit of risk taking won't hurt. Especially since tech levels, infrastructure and economy seem solid enough for the empire to take a hit or two without being an instant game over like it might have been 30 years ago. - I think I'm going to start with infiltrating stealthed scouts. Research on Stealth continues. We have completed the "90% Stealth efficiency" tech, "Minimumn Size = 500 tons" tech, and are currently researching the 1:8 Stealth Generator tech. That will allow a 4,000-ton scout (with 90% Stealth) with only 500 tons devoted to stealth. The rest of the tonnage can be detection gear (and engines, fuel, life support, spare parts, etc).

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: