• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ELINT Stealth Eavesdropper:

Provocateur class Stealth Scout 3,094 tons 80 Crew 935.3 BP TCS 6 TH 115 EM 0
7757 km/s Armour 1-18 Shields 0-0 HTK 18 Sensors 0/16/0/0 DCR 1-3 PPV 0
Maint Life 2.00 Years MSP 488 AFR 77% IFR 1.1% 1YR 162 5YR 2,437 Max Repair 480 MSP
Lieutenant Commander Control Rating 1 BRG
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months Morale Check Required

Magnetic Fusion Drive EP480.00 PWR-120 HS-20 2006 (1) Power 480 Fuel Use 44.62% Signature 115.20 Explosion 12%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres Range 32.6 billion km (48 days at full power)

ELINT Module (2) Sensitivity 16 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 31.6m km
Cloaking Device: Class cross-section reduced to 10.0% of normal

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Intelligence Ship for auto-assignment purposes

Same RADAR signature as a Fighter. Low Thermal.

Two years crew endurance but only 48 days fuel... because it will creep into signal intercept range at low thrust, and then turn off its engines and lie silent for months, just listening and analyzing the signals.

• 2Love
Reactions:
Sounds awesome. Where will you test it?
We have some ground - based enemy systems just begging for a test run.

Sounds awesome. Where will you test it?
We have some ground - based enemy systems just begging for a test run.
That Rakhas system would be ideal for a test, because they have no ships.

We can test all three scout ships there... Provocateur (ELINT), Spy (passive Thermal and EM) and Agent (Active RADAR).

Reactions:
Scientist Wagonlitz is 76 and very ill, but he has completed his 20th research project... improved refueling equipment.

We have launched four more Constellation II class Carriers, bringing us up to 24 in total; and have laid down four more Mountain class Gunship Carriers in their place.

Our first Whetstone class Resupply FAC has been launched.

sb-782.jpg

Fast enough to keep up with the Sabre Squadron.

No armor or weapon, but it carries thousands of repair parts and the handling gear needed to transfer them.

It will formate with the Eyeball AWACS FAC, and will act as a forward supply collier for the Sabres.

Notice the hull number... FAC-131.

My working definition of FAC is "between 501 and 2,000 tons", rather than the accepted formal "between 501 and 1,000 tons" definition.

So we've already built over a hundred and thirty vessels in that size range... larger than a Fighter, but smaller than 2,001 tons.

And we're still building them!

Is this an example of Jeune Ecole doctrine?

Not sure if it counts as Jeune Ecole… I mean, unless the destroyers out pace you, they are hardly a counter.

It feels more like the logical conclusion of a fast batttleship / battle cruiser doctrine: dictate range to kill enemies who can’t fight back and run away from anyone who meaningfully can.

Not sure if it counts as Jeune Ecole… I mean, unless the destroyers out pace you, they are hardly a counter.

It feels more like the logical conclusion of a fast batttleship / battle cruiser doctrine: dictate range to kill enemies who can’t fight back and run away from anyone who meaningfully can.
Good point... Jackie Fischer would be pleased.

It's when you learn a ton of interesting history out of the blue when you know an AAR is good.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Our intrepid explorers are searching the comets and asteroids of the two newly-discovered star systems.

Nice find by Happycat.

sb-783.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow... I read through your Ad Astra game years ago (but still long after it closed out) and then I was poking around the Aurora 4x forum recently and saw a link to this playthrough and I was so excited to see it still in progress! I've only read (in depth) up to page 40 or so, so I've got a lot of catching up to do, but I was hoping to get myself inserted into the game world in some capacity, if possible! I see there are some stealth ships coming out... if one of them lacks a commander (if that's how it works) please sign me up! If those slots are already taken, I'd be happy on a geosurvey vessel or commanding a combat ship all the same. I'd just love to be part of the game world in whatever capacity :)

Also, and I don't want to clutter up the game thread with a ton of my own questions... but if I may be permitted a few:

I was only a beginner back in the previous version of Aurora 4x and now that I'm coming back to the c# version, enough has changed that I really feel lost. I am seeing things in this playthrough that I didn't even know were possible. So I'm learning a ton just by reading through, but learning that things are possible isn't the same as learning how to actually DO them. Is there a good place I could go for step by step instructions/tutorials on the mechanics of the game? This game is obvious dense with an absolute learning CLIFF, but I think it'd be worth the time investment if there was a place that would help me work through the mechanics a bit at a time.

Also, just some general questions...

- It seems to me that resources in this game are physicalized, in that resource don't go into a universal pool as soon as you collect them and then can be used by any factory/shipyard wherever it may be located. So, how crazy are the logistics of having multiple star systems and balancing resources between them?

- In the previous version of the game, it seemed like missiles were the only useful way to go for combat (leastwise, that's all I really saw on the forums). That doesn't seem to be the case in what I've read so far here. In the new version of the game, are all the various avenues of military might viable? In particular, you're doing a lot of carriers and fighters, which is cool. But if I wanted to do more classic warships without depending on fighters... would that be doable?

- And I know this is a really dumb question, but I'm overwhelmed by the research options... How do you know what you need to research for what's coming down the line? It seems like only game after game of experience will help with that when you hit a point of critical failure because you didn't know to plan properly? And so perhaps you get wiped and so you start again trying to correct that mistake? Rinse and repeat on down the line?

I'm really enjoying reading through your gameplay and its been years, but I remember having a ton of fun with this game myself. But coming back to it is so overwhelming. So any help anyone can offer, particularly in pointing toward any effective, streamlined explanations/tutorials (whether text based or video, I don't care) would be so helpful.

Thanks!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wow... I read through your Ad Astra game years ago (but still long after it closed out) and then I was poking around the Aurora 4x forum recently and saw a link to this playthrough and I was so excited to see it still in progress! I've only read (in depth) up to page 40 or so, so I've got a lot of catching up to do, but I was hoping to get myself inserted into the game world in some capacity, if possible! I see there are some stealth ships coming out... if one of them lacks a commander (if that's how it works) please sign me up! If those slots are already taken, I'd be happy on a geosurvey vessel or commanding a combat ship all the same. I'd just love to be part of the game world in whatever capacity :) - We are laying down four Spy-class Stealth Scout vessels this week. It'll be most of a year before they are completed, but one is yours if you want it.

Also, and I don't want to clutter up the game thread with a ton of my own questions... but if I may be permitted a few:

I was only a beginner back in the previous version of Aurora 4x and now that I'm coming back to the c# version, enough has changed that I really feel lost. I am seeing things in this playthrough that I didn't even know were possible. So I'm learning a ton just by reading through, but learning that things are possible isn't the same as learning how to actually DO them. Is there a good place I could go for step by step instructions/tutorials on the mechanics of the game? This game is obvious dense with an absolute learning CLIFF, but I think it'd be worth the time investment if there was a place that would help me work through the mechanics a bit at a time. - Aside from the Mechanics sub-forum on Steve's Aurora forum, I'm not aware of any documentation, no. I just played a few games. I'm still learning the mechanics and hunting for controls as well.

Also, just some general questions...

- It seems to me that resources in this game are physicalized, in that resource don't go into a universal pool as soon as you collect them and then can be used by any factory/shipyard wherever it may be located. So, how crazy are the logistics of having multiple star systems and balancing resources between them? - Crazy indeed. You may have noticed that the core of our empire, both mining and manufacturing, is pretty linear; running from the comet mining sites in 25 Ursae Majoris through Tau Ceti, Luhman 16, Sol, and into Alpha Centauri, with only some minor mining operations taking place off that linear path. I've built about 130 Freighters, each with five cargo holds. I have groups of five of these Freighters (so... 25 cargo holds) cycling on auto-repeat on two different runs up and down that chain... with single Freighters (instead of groups of five) cycling along the feeder routes (eg: out to AX Microscopii and back). As for balancing resources, any place that makes repair parts requires occasional shipments of Duranium, Uridium and Gallicite.

- In the previous version of the game, it seemed like missiles were the only useful way to go for combat (leastwise, that's all I really saw on the forums). That doesn't seem to be the case in what I've read so far here. In the new version of the game, are all the various avenues of military might viable? In particular, you're doing a lot of carriers and fighters, which is cool. But if I wanted to do more classic warships without depending on fighters... would that be doable? - So far in the game, only one enemy ship has been killed with missiles, as I recall. Certainly during that massive battle in Tau Ceti, twenty-four out of twenty-five enemy ships were destroyed by gunfire. Guns seem to be the new meta, or at least perfectly viable.

- And I know this is a really dumb question, but I'm overwhelmed by the research options... How do you know what you need to research for what's coming down the line? It seems like only game after game of experience will help with that when you hit a point of critical failure because you didn't know to plan properly? And so perhaps you get wiped and so you start again trying to correct that mistake? Rinse and repeat on down the line? - Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a diagram of the tech tree and experience seems to be the only guide.

I'm really enjoying reading through your gameplay and its been years, but I remember having a ton of fun with this game myself. But coming back to it is so overwhelming. So any help anyone can offer, particularly in pointing toward any effective, streamlined explanations/tutorials (whether text based or video, I don't care) would be so helpful. - I know Quill18 put out a Let's Play video for the C# version, but I'm not sure how much detail he went into. You can always PM me an occasional question.

Thanks!

Reactions:
Our current shipyards:

sb-784.jpg

... and shipyard tasks:

sb-785.jpg

Everything below that in the lists is Grinders... ten in total.

• 1Like
Reactions:
blue emu said: " Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a diagram of the tech tree and experience seems to be the only guide"

I've seen a 3rd party-made tech "TREE" but it was YEARS ago, and is surely obsolete, and i have seen no new one.

I've seen a 3rd party-made tech "TREE" but it was YEARS ago, and is surely obsolete, and i have seen no new one.
Same here. I didn't mention it because I was pretty sure it wouldn't help anyway.

Still... much of the fun is in learning how it all fits together.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Apologies, I put that link there. ;)

Welcome to the game @BBWags

• 1Like
Reactions:
Happycat has finished his geological survey of the newly discovered 62 Hydrae star system. The planets hold no great treasures, but the comets are rich in ores... with seven of them holding deposits over 100,000 tons of one ore or another.

Comet #1
Neutronium 11,012 Acc 0.7
Mercassium 27,967 Acc 0.5
Vendarite 55,874 Acc 0.6
Sorium 27,635 Acc 1

Comet #2
Neutronium 37,830 Acc 0.5
Vendarite 164,422 Acc 0.8

Comet #3
Duranium 150,403 Acc 0.7
Vendarite 92,004 Acc 0.8

Comet #4
Neutronium 10,456 Acc 0.6
Vendarite 27,366 Acc 0.9
Uridium 39,809 Acc 0.6

Comet #5
Gallicite 265,692 Acc 0.7

Comet #6
Tritanium 74,562 Acc 0.7
Sorium 77,454 Acc 0.6

Comet #7
Duranium 248,211 Acc 0.9
Neutronium 46,942 Acc 0.8
Corbomite 33,550 Acc 0.8

Comet #8
Neutronium 6,548 Acc 0.6
Corbomite 11,518 Acc 0.5
Uridium 9,169 Acc 0.7

Comet #9
Duranium 293,991 Acc 0.8
Neutronium 66,421 Acc 0.8

Comet #10
Duranium 37,962 Acc 0.8
Corbomite 12,699 Acc 0.6
Tritanium 101,565 Acc 0.8
Mercassium 74,742 Acc 0.9
Vendarite 48,606 Acc 1
Sorium 120,377 Acc 1
Uridium 97,794 Acc 1

Happycat will use his remaining time-on-station to begin the search for jump points out.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yvanoff in the ESNS Richard Feynmann is heading for the last unexplored jump point in the Teegarten's Star system.

All of the remaining unexplored jump points are coreward of Known Space... many of them near the Lacaille 9253 star system.

Yvanoff in ESNS Richard Feynmann has discovered the new star system of Pi Librae.

Two stars in an eccentric orbit that takes them as close as 20 billion km apart, or as far as nearly 40 billion km apart. Each star has its own family of planets.

sb-786.jpg

sb-787.jpg

sb-788.jpg

There is no Lagrange access to the B star... although an artificial Lagrange point could easily be constructed there, if a construction ship could REACH the site.

Damn, those systems are annoying.

I read on the aurora forum there's a new game option to limit the size of generated systems. In development, sadly.

Reactions:
What is the range on your construction vessels anyway? At some point we could build a faster, longer ranged version of the old stuff we have there.... Somewhere way down the queue :rofl: