• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While I know Liberales have a reputation for stirring up change, I can honestly say a return to overall normalcy is welcome.

- P. G. Subercaseaux

((I go away for a few hours and there are pages and pages of posts. i have not read them all just the begining))

As I always have always stated the Liberales, Badajoz and Zepeda are tyrants who despise democracy no matter what they say in their speeches. I stand against this coup and call Zepeda, Badajoz and Carrera traitors to Chile who must face a public execution. To coup while our nation is at war is a most disgusting act and I will not rest until all who supported the coup are executed. Justice demands it. Heads must roll. No amnesty, no forgiveness.

I am sure we can all learn from this coup experience as a thread.

If you all have any suggestions for new rules now (I've already seen the only-the-president-can-declare-a-self-coup one), then I'm all ears.

I call on the Partido nacionale to expel Carrera as a member. He supported the coup (I don't care that he claimed to change his mind) and should be arrested. The fact that he is still a member of the party is a disgrace.

I call on the Partido nacionale to expel Carrera as a member. He supported the coup (I don't care that he claimed to change his mind) and should be arrested. The fact that he is still a member of the party is a disgrace.
Er, most of the army (that lead to the suppression of the coup in the end) supported the coup at one time or another. It would probably be unwise to arrest and expel all the generals who at one time supported the coup, since it is a large amount of the support for the current regime (and they have a large amount of the military in their control).

I also hope I'm not on the previously listed wishlist of heads to be rolled - could you clarify on that point?

Er, most of the army (that lead to the suppression of the coup in the end) supported the coup at one time or another. It would probably be unwise to arrest and expel all the generals who at one time supported the coup, since it is a large amount of the support for the current regime (and they have a large amount of the military in their control).

I also hope I'm not on the previously listed wishlist of heads to be rolled - could you clarify on that point?

Well, as you already know, you're already in jail. I can't say I know what Rivera is planning.

((I laughed, by the way Gloa, when I realized you changed your sig from "The Fragility of Democracy: Minister of War" Gabriel Alvarez to "The Fragility of Democracy: (Arrested) Minister of War Gabriel Alvarez"))

Well, as you already know, you're already in jail. I can't say I know what Rivera is planning.

((I laughed, by the way Gloa, when I realized you changed your sig from "The Fragility of Democracy: Minister of War" Gabriel Alvarez to "The Fragility of Democracy: (Arrested) Minister of War Gabriel Alvarez"))
((Of course. Have to keep my resume up to date, you know? :p ))

It is with great reluctance that I, Antonio Disraeli, must announce that the events of the recent foiled coup have forced me to reconsider my position and to run as a candidate for the Monarchico nomination for the Presidency of Chile.

The fact that the sitting Liberale President would declare a self-coup in order to hold off elections in the name of a war his party was not prepared to do what was necessary to win shows how the forces of corruption have ripped into those elements of the Conservadores that have been working with the Liberales, and with Zapeda - the Conservadore/Nacionalista/Liberale/Dictator-to-be had he had his way.

The entire modern instrument of government is so corrupt that I know that there is an entire arsenal of rightist forces awaiting a true alternative, something that the farcical Monarchist party has failed to do - our founder tried to run as Nacionale! That tells you everything you need to know about our party's failures.

That is why I am asking all previous Monarchist voters and new voters to, instead of voting in the primaries of these other corrupt parties, to vote in the Monarchico primaries for me, to lend me their strength.

If I gain the nomination of my party, I will rip away our foolishness and rename and reform us the Union Tradicionale. A vote, not in the other primaries but for myself in the Monarchist primaries is a vote for a revolution among the righteous Right Wing of Chile, a reformation of misguided monarchism into a party truly representative of the disenfranchised and terrorized landowners of the South and elsewhere, of the clergy that risk having their land grants and religious privileges taken away, and of everyone who opposes the tyranny of supposed modernizers like Badajoz and Zapeda.

We are the Right, we are the Tradicionales. Vote for Antonio Disraeli in the Monarquico primaries and we will become a reality; and walk arm in arm with the heroes of Chiliean democracy - Romano, the true conservative who I have no doubt will root out the pro-Liberale cancer in his party - and the brave Nacionales who opposed Zapeda.

Once again the forces of Democracy triumphed over the would be Tyrants, truly it show the mettle of the people of Chile. The cowardliness of Badajoz and Zapeda was revealed when they attempt to coup a democratic elected government, THEIR government, in the midst of war, this infamous betrayal of the trust of our citizens should be enough to throw them to jail.
New new provisional government of Eduardo Romana has my full support.

Last edited:
I hereby withdraw my candidacy for the Partido Nacionale and support the candidacy of General Roseno!

I would ask the new candidate to consider a unity government with only those who never supported the coup.

I am willing to offer legal help to Badajoz and Zepeda. As one of the top lawyers of this Republic I feel it's my duty to assist in the upcoming trials. I also demand that the trial of Badajoz will be a civilian trial, while Zepeda as an distinguished general and a hero of the military deserve to be tried by a military trial. However I demand that the military trial will be overseen by generals of all political colors, and will not just be a show trial. As two very distinguished leader of our country they deserve a fair trial.

Karl Weissmüller

(Was it possible for members outside the government to purpose stuff? I have simple ingame idea to help to give a bit more of flavour to the game)

Democracy has triumped once again, we may now look to finish this war with Argentinia and begin our democratic institutions once more without this Liberale coup preventing us.

As for Senor Rivera, you have no authority over the party to decide whether I should be expelled or not, you sir are not the "leader" of the Nacionales. I supported the coup at the time that I thought we were outsting The Liberale from office, I did not think The Liberale would be the one to call a coup to keep himself in power. You were the one who stayed silent the entire time the coup went on, on just now decide to try to get your foot in the door. And I do care that I changed my mind, if I hadn't we would all be under a Liberale Dictatorship right now, as General Rosa may not have changed his mind, and like me Rosa was also a supporter of the Coup at the begining.

((I don't care whether or not you weren't on for this, I'm not dropping out of the race just so you can put your name for the primary. No one knew what was going on, so forgive me for being just as confused during this whole thing the entire time, why else would I have been calling for the down fall of the Liberales?))

I now call for the member of our grand partido to listen to me. We can patch the wounds of this coup over time, but we cannot do it if we stain our Republic with the evil of executions of those who attempted to betray the people. Do not stoop to the level of The Liberale and Zepeda, do not execute them, but merely strip them of their positions within our society and exile them.

I once again call for the support of my partido for this primary, as I also wish to form a Coalition with my good friend Presidente Romano of the Conservadores.

((you know, it would be nice if you gave the coup at least one day. Not everyone lives in the Americas you know...))

This despicable attempt at power shows the true colours of Badajoz! He is a powerhungry madman who should've never been allowed into power in the first place.
And Zepeda...I'm now ashamed of my earlier support of you. I have to say General, my respect for you has now dropped to below absolute zero. You are no better than Badajoz it seems.
This stab in the back by the treacherous enemies of democracy is unacceptable, and to top it all off, it was during a war!

However, we shouldn't stoop to their low morals. One who fights monsters might become a monster, and we should not fall into that trap. Thus, I do not think that an execution of them is necessary. A suspension from any positions of power on the other hand is much more suitable.

Long live Chilean democracy! Long live the Chilean National Identity!

- Brigadier General Jorge Alejandro Santandera

((So now i am de-facto president. Now im asking concerning the rules - does this mean that im merely president during the elections, or does it mean that i gain a whole 4 year term, or what exactly has happened? I'd realyl like to know that before I respond :) ))

(ThunderHawk: All I want is for you to admit the rules were not simple, and that how we reacted to the coup was dependent on the hard to understand rules. Above that, I do not care Badajoz is gone, he already got elected twice, and as far as I care his character was over after the second election.)

He showed the land outside the Hacienda, green and fertile, and spoke with pride unbound.

"But, are we not Jewish over Chilean?" I asked

He sighed and looked at me, "Why cant you understand? You are Chilean as the Catholic next door, and the animist of the land."

"I dont understand"

"No matter what our background is, what we believe, the truth is that we are all Chilean. The blood of Chile runs through our veins, her land nourishes our crops, and her breath brings air to our lungs"

Minister of the Treasury and de-facto el Presidente, stands in the Congreso to give a speech

"My fellow countrymen.....democracy has prevailed!"

He raises his fist into the air, waiting for the cheering to die down

"It is times as these, where the blindfold, also called politics, are liftet, it is in these times where we see the true alliegance of our prominant members of the Congreso. The traitors and would-be president has revealed their true intentions, and we have all revealed where our loyalty lies. Luckily the majority put their faith and loyalty to the democracy, the democracy which Zepeda, Badajoz and Alvarez sought to undermine. It is an honour to act as de-facto president for such splendid examples of human beings."

Again Romano waits for the cheers to die down.

"As the temporary el presidente, I declare that elections will continue as planned....the main army will once again be dispatched to fight the argentinans before it is too late. And the traitors....If they won Zepeda would send me to the sulpher mines to work and die. If I was like him, then I might've sent him there already together with Badajoz and Alvarez. But I am not like him, vegeance is not on my agenda, for god says "Vegeance is mine", but punishment, that is a reality. To the ones who supported the coup in first place, but switched their alliegance I have this to say; Your punishment is the stain and consequence on your career and on your fellow party members and supporters' votes, that will have on your initial support for the coup. But you shall also be rewarded for making the right choice in the end, and your reward is redemption from your initial actions, and as Presidente I grant you amnesty on all accusations that might follow of treason during your initial actions.

I wish for a good and democratic vote, and a peacefull transition of power, should I not be elected Presidente, thank you."

- De-Facto Presidente Romano

And it is self evident every member of military and ministry betrayed their country, and their friends, no matter what side of the bloodshed they stood on. And I will tell the events as they were, not as how they will be written

And he brought us, Ignacio, Mark, and I, to El Rio Futaleufu, and to the peaks of the Andes. Finally, we understood. It was this land of Chile we all owed our allegiance, not to party, not to ideologies, but to Chile. He was never happier than to see a convert.

I am willing to offer legal help to Badajoz and Zepeda. As one of the top lawyers of this Republic I feel it's my duty to assist in the upcoming trials. I also demand that the trial of Badajoz will be a civilian trial, while Zepeda as an distinguished general and a hero of the military deserve to be tried by a military trial. However I demand that the military trial will be overseen by generals of all political colors, and will not just be a show trial. As two very distinguished leader of our country they deserve a fair trial.

Karl Weissmüller
Would this legal help also be available for a certain former War Minister who is worried at the increasingly violent rhetoric over what to do with those arrested? ((He's a much less distinguished leader, perhaps, but he's also arguably less culpable in the coup.))

- Gabriel Alvarez