• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Would this legal help also be available for a certain former War Minister who is worried at the increasingly violent rhetoric over what to do with those arrested? ((He's a much less distinguished leader, perhaps, but he's also arguably less culpable in the coup.))

- Gabriel Alvarez

((Violent rhetoric? Check my speech ;) ))

Would this legal help also be available for a certain former War Minister who is worried at the increasingly violent rhetoric over what to do with those arrested? ((He's a much less distinguished leader, perhaps, but he's also arguably less culpable in the coup.))

- Gabriel Alvarez

Indeed, everyone involved in the coup would have the right to be represented by the top lawyer in town.

Karl Weissmüller

OOC: yes, my character is quite full of himself, and yes he ignored Alvarez by purpose because he didn't find him important enough, but he can't turn down a direct request.

Indeed, everyone involved in the coup would have the right to be represented by the top lawyer in town.

Karl Weissmüller

OOC: yes, my character is quite full of himself, and yes he ignored Alvarez by purpose because he didn't find him important enough, but he can't turn down a direct request.

"They are free to hire their own lawyer, if they cannot afford one, they will be given one."

-President Romano

"Greetings great citizens of our glorious Fatherland! I hereby announce my candidacy for the Partido Nationales, thanks to the withdrawing and support of José de Vallenare. Chile was never be run by those who wish to ensure personal gain and power. I will restore greatness to Chile, I will ensure the sun never sets on our Fatherland!"

-General Cesar Roseno

((Platform will be up later today.))

(...Above that, I do not care Badajoz is gone, he already got elected twice, and as far as I care his character was over after the second election.)

((Aw, come on. Then who will Santandera have to hate on? Oh right, there's Zepeda...but it's just not the same thing. :sad:))

"I am thankful that this coup was crushed. Not only was it masterminded by an unpopular Liberale government attempting to keep power, it was also an affront to Chilean democracy - a most heinious one indeed. This coup was, and is, a crime against the state. Such crimes are known as treason. I therefore pledge, should I become Presidente, that treason be punished by life imprisonment. If a man wishes to overthrow Chilean democracy, then he is not worthy of Chilean democracy."

Eberado de Cary
Senator for Valparaiso

((Violent rhetoric? Check my speech ;) ))
Romano is a good man, but some of the other leading generals and men in the government have been suggesting executions, or at least banishment and other punishments. Pardon me ((no pun intended :p)) if this makes me worried that such suggestions might win over in policy and I be forced in one way or another to leave my Chile. Not everyone had the same role and motives in the coup.

- Gabriel Alvarez

"As an amendment to my previous speech, life imprisonment would only apply to the ringleaders. The accomplices would merely be 'attachments to treason' and will serve lesser terms. The ringleaders, as I see them, are Zepeda and Badajoz. These two seem the only conspirators who were actually against democracy. The others will be dealt with later."

Eberado de Cary
Senator for Valparaiso

"Due to much commotion over what to do with the surviving plot leaders, If elected I will grant amnesty to Mr. Alvarez, on the grounds that he relinquish all rewards, his rank, and maintains a private life. If elected I will put the fate of Zapeda and Badajoz to a vote, with an option to execute or exile each one individually. Furthermore, I will grant amnesty to Senator Carrera, as he was obviously not motivated by personal gain, but truly believed our Fatherland was in danger."

-General Cesar Roseno

((So now i am de-facto president. Now im asking concerning the rules - does this mean that im merely president during the elections, or does it mean that i gain a whole 4 year term, or what exactly has happened? I'd realyl like to know that before I respond :) ))

It means that you'll serve out the rest of Badajoz's term and the next term 1846-1851 will be served by the President chosen by the electorate. That's only you if you win (or seize power in another coup, I guess...)

((you know, it would be nice if you gave the coup at least one day. Not everyone lives in the Americas you know...))

Yeah... I would have, but things got REALLY crazy in just an hour, and I didn't want to leave it an entire day. I'm sorry to everyone who missed their opportunity to comment.

(ThunderHawk: All I want is for you to admit the rules were not simple, and that how we reacted to the coup was dependent on the hard to understand rules. Above that, I do not care Badajoz is gone, he already got elected twice, and as far as I care his character was over after the second election.)

There is NOTHING whatsoever complicated about the coup system, zagoroth. I'm sorry that you're disenfranchised now, but that's the price you pay.

The coup system is simply:
  • Someone declares a coup. (Stating clearly that they are doing so and who they're installing in power -- hopefully next time this will be clearer.)
  • All generals, admirals, and ministers declare they are either FOR or AGAINST the coup, as one would vote yea or nea in an election. They aren't allowed to switch their votes after they first pick, so they have to choose carefully.
  • I play out the coup in game with the forces under the command those FOR the coup versus those AGAINST the coup. If those FOR the coup seize the capital, the coup is successful; if they are instead destroyed before they can do so, the coup fails.
  • Each general typically commands the loyalty of the soldiers under his command, while the more ministers on one side or the other, the more of the mobilization and the capital stack that side controls.
  • As I have said many, many times, the capital stack is a safeguard against a coup and they are always the defenders of the status quo and the last to support the coup.

I'll have an election tally incoming.

"Due to much commotion over what to do with the surviving plot leaders, If elected I will grant amnesty to Mr. Alvarez, on the grounds that he relinquish all rewards, his rank, and maintains a private life. If elected I will put the fate of Zapeda and Badajoz to a vote, with an option to execute or exile each one individually. Furthermore, I will grant amnesty to Senator Carrera, as he was obviously not motivated by personal gain, but truly believed our Fatherland was in danger."

-General Cesar Roseno

You don't have the power to do that.

Liberales Candidates: (Party of Power)
Antonio de Santa Rosa ((Riccardo93))

Conservadores Candidates: (In Coalition)
Eduardo Emilio Romano ((Pallen))

Nacionales Candidates: (In Opposition)
Cesar Roseno ((RedCesar))
Colonel Manuel Carerra (King50000)
Eberado de Cary ((Ivir Baggins))

Monarquicos Candidates: (In Opposition)
Witold Tamiuszski ((tamius23))
Antonio Disraeli ((rogov))

Separation of Economics and Government Act:
Yes: 5
No: 14
Abstain: 0

Chilean Education Act:
Yes: 8
No: 0
Abstain: 3

(Was it possible for members outside the government to purpose stuff? I have simple ingame idea to help to give a bit more of flavour to the game)

Assuming you mean propose, yeah. Anyone can propose a bill, but the President's always take priority.

((And speaking of coups, Muammar Qaddafi is dead. I don't know why I bring it up.))

(Thunderhawk: Fine, dont admit it, but I know they were complicated ;-))

It saddens me to see so many people turn on Badajoz as an enemy of Democracy, when from the last he wanted to prevent the deaths of his cabinet members and re-instate Democracy. Clearly, we see two faced rhetoric from Conservadores who plotted to exterminate the Liberale front through encouraging a hostile member to coup. I think any sane person can see the truth.

And I will remember Badajoz as he was during his ten years in office. The man who brought Democracy to Chile, not plotted to destroy it, and he who brought the citizens all their rights afforded to them now. His sons were ever in his foot steps, learning the importance of being Chilean. And I fell under the spell. I was afforded the best of Education Chile had to offer, but never made major public appearances due to the nature of my stay at the Badajoz household.

And on that day, when Badajoz learned his friends planned to Coup, and that the balance of government would break, the stress that had built up drove him near mad. He believed he could save the Democracy by ensuring his Liberale friends were not consumed in the Coup. He ordered us to stay at the house under lock and key, while he poke nonsense to the parliament

And later, the doors of the house were burst open, and the sons of Badajoz were arrested for conspiracy, and the wife taken away, and myself left free for my lack of relation. I was given a uniform, and I was told to I would help destroy the dissenter pigs who sided with the Criminal Badajoz

I'm back. It seems I lost without bloodshed because of a half-joke half-OOC statement. Politics are weird stuff.

General Santa Rosa, seeing as you are the only major Liberale left after the coup I am strongly inclined to support you for President . However I would like to see a clear picture of your political stances.

-Colonel Matias Vega Marino, Santiago, Chile

((Thunderhawk empty your PM box))

Zepeda stands by his captors

People, I must say I am sorry. I am sorry to have failed my deed, I'm sorry to have failed my part on history. I have failed to protect this country. While my intentions have always been good: setting our noble ex-president Badajoz in charge of the country once more, so that me and he both could have completed our task.. to make Chile a great country. We wanted this country to be safe from foreign powers, we wanted our military to be grand, our industry to thrive.. but we failed, and our noble deed was stopped dead by confusion and misinformation. Our generals misinterpreted me, it was not a coup.. the idea behind this was not a military dictatorship.. we did not want to suppress the liberal values we have fought for so dearly.. our freedom of speech, pluralism, abolition of monarchy and our great institutions. No, we wanted to finish what we had worked for. We wanted to win the war and win it together. But time was not enough, and I did all in my power to lengthen Mr. Badajoz's last period.

All happened too quick. Everyone thought I was taking the country for my own benefit... but my plan was more noble than that. It was not my goal, as some suggested, to end the "liberal tyranny" in Chile, and that man who believed that should have never had associated with me in the first place. My plan was bigger than political parties, bigger than ambitions... it was the spirit of Chile. I wanted to bring Chile to glory. If that meant changing some institutions, so be it. If it meant to take my chances and proclaim the suspension of the elections, so be it.. I took my chances and got betrayed.

Who were these men? They were generals who wanted to keep power for themselves. They were not happy with being generals, they wanted the presidency. And they have it right now.. they betrayed our noble cause and took to arms, leaving the argentinian front alone... It was not enough for these men to act against the president's orders.. they acted against our motherland! They let the enemy march into our country, attacking innocent villages, pillaging little towns.. killing chileans! Our brothers slaughtered.. only for raw power. It was never intended to go this way... we never wanted bloodshed, but we were willing to defend our glorious capital of Santiago from any rebel general. These rebels won.. they were the real coup, and now you see them inside the Palacio de la Moneda (presidential palace), ruling in excess and sin.

I made an statement out of anger for the inherent wish of these men to cause more slaughter and death of fellow Chileans. I agreed to war with Argentina, but on good odds. I agreed to war with Bolivia and Peru, but with good odds. I too, agreed to peacefully cancel the elections until the war was over, but other people took their chances and attacked our administration. Even our main army defected, after much confusion. I do not blame those men who stood by our side and defected out of fear of a military coup: these men were badly informed and only took the right choice. I don't even blame that innocent colonel who thought the coup was to get rid of the liberales. I only blame the ambitious general who marched against his orders to take over the government illegaly. That is all people..

Judge me as you want, I won't hold a grudge against you.

-Mr. Zepeda

-General Cesar Roseno

((I'm not a senator >.>))

"A wise man once said; action speak louder than words, and your action spoke against everything you are saying Mr. Zepeda. You speak of protecting, improving, of freedom, and the abolition of monarchy. Yet what you did was similiar to what many dictators have claimed to be doing. I understand you try to hide your actions with words, now that YOU are the one who stands with trouble to your neck. When you believed you'd success in this coup, you threatened to haul me to the sulpher mines, you wanted to strip me of all my pride, of my diginity, of my fortitude, and of my belief in my own values, just so you could hang me and put my head on a stake afterwards as an example to all who would stand against you. I must speak frankly that your "apologize" and your "regret" comes from a failed coup, and the prospect of being punished. I suppose I am naive to think I would expect anything else, but you have shown your true colours during the crisis, and it is those colours you will be rememebred by, and no matter what you say you can not change that. Nonetheless I will not send you to the mines then hang you, I am not like you, I have integrity, but that doesen't mean your going free, Mr. Zepeda, you must realize, this will have dire consequences."

- President Romano