• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not really. CK 2 who is focussed on Europe/Mediterranean/Middle East only, was highly wanted and well recieved by the fans. Likewise, when Rome was announced, a lot of people were pretty happy with the project.

Simply put there has never been much of an interest in these forums towards Paradox making a Japanese game, outside of the usual fan mods in EU2/3 and Victoria 1/2 towards making the Japanese setting more realistic. How can the decision be explained? Well, Rome was a new game, and although the sales were apparently pleasing, the fan consensus as to the quality of the game was that it was not good (So much that Rome forum acvitity died down pretty quickly, while other Clausewitz games continue to have activity (EU 3, Vicky 2 and HoI 3).

Now although Japan is a new game as well, I suppose that Paradox is using the same principles as behind CK, which were highly popular with the fans, so as to reduce the risk of the game quality being bad. Doing Japan also has a few other marketing bonuses, as it might allow Paradox to try to expand to markets previously unattracted to Paradox games (Worldwide Sengoku fans and Eastern Asian market in general), which if moderately successful in the Asian markets, might signal that starting a few games based on Asian countries might be a commercially sound idea. Another beneficial point is that while Japan is vastly overdone, there is no game which did Japan in the framework that Paradox is doing (Shogun: Total War is mostly about playing the battles, while Koei's Nobunaga's Ambition deals mostly with kingdom management, and doesn't delve too deeply into the RPG game (That I know of). But yes, there is a small niche for this game's style I guess.

Now, Paradox might have underestimated the base popularity of the Japanese setting with its own fans, and whether or not they will want to buy a CK look-alike based on Japan (Which in itself is Paradox's game with most reduced geographical scope, that I am aware of, so far) instead of Europe. I guess time (And sales) will tell. The "First Contact" consensus of the forum (Which obviously is nowhere near the majority of Paradox's customers), is not so encouraging.

Yeah, but Rome and CK still had much larger scope, not only geographically, but also due to a lot of different countries/cultures on map and time scale. I wish them good luck, but I`m afraid that it would be hard to them to cater to new customers, when Shogun 2 will be out. Of course, Sengoku would be much more complex, realistic, and immersive game, but reality is that Shogun's impressive graphics may discourage new gamers from buying this.

Hmm. The description says 1471. Are you sure it isn't 1571? Because 1471 is hardly Sengoku period.

Actually, we wanted to start it in the Onin wars, which is the beginning of the era.

I find it odd that there was this great debate over whether Vicky II could make it's money back and now Paradox embark on a niche of a niche at the same time that a 1000lb gorilla in the shape of the TW series is releasing a game in the same time period. Sengoku would have been a good idea a few years back but the timing seems odd now. Especially if the game continues the EUIII template of simplifying things to appeal to a greater audience. It took 3/4 expansions before EUIII really felt like a proper paradox game, hopefully Sengoku doesn't follow the same process.

Last edited:
I find it odd that there was this great debate over whether Vicky II could make it's money back and now Paradox embark on a niche of a niche at the same time that a 1000lb gorilla in the shape of the TW series is releasing a game in the same time period. Sengoku would have been a good idea a few years back but the timing seems odd now. Especially if the game continues the EUIII template of simplifying things to appeal to a greater audience. It took 3/4 expansions before EUIII really felt like a proper paradox game, hopefully Sengoku follow the same process.

I'm pretty sure the Vicky II thing was settled when it made a profit on pre-orders alone? Or at least there were no longer any worries about the game making a profit. That's how I remember things going down.

And yes, they are likely purposefully capitalizing on riding Shogun 2's coattails. It's commercial opportunism. Or in more polite terms, keen business sense. :)

I would be excited, but considering how Paradox handled this era in EU3, and considering how they are usually mediocre when it comes to dealing with places outside of Europe (even places right next door, like the middle east)...I'm not too sure.

is the map already finished? how many provinces there are?
I'm a bit disappointed with it because it looks like they didn't add Korea. It would have been a good way to add more variety and, after all, one of the first things Hideyoshi did after securing his power was invading it. This would probably fall into this game's timeline, too...

Otherwise it looks great.

I would be excited, but considering how Paradox handled this era in EU3, and considering how they are usually mediocre when it comes to dealing with places outside of Europe (even places right next door, like the middle east)...I'm not too sure.

Indeed, this is sound reason for concern, although I hope that the focused nature of the game will lead them to not only do their homework, but to be able to translate it into the game properly.

I´m a bit disappointed too as the Energy and the research put in this Game should have been better put into Divine Wind, but it´s their choice...
I hope there will be Dev Diaries so i can make a decision. At the Moment it seems Shogun 2 is better but proove me Wrong Paradox ;)

The problem with DW was that EU's game didn't really fit Japan. It wsa like making a medieval game in EU instead of CK.
In other words, the very reason it didn't work in DW might be why we are getting an independent game.

On one hand, I feel I should say "At least it is character based, thus differentiating it from EUIII DW", but now it has to differentiate itself from CKII. I'm not sure what is going to make me play it rather than CKII, apart from "I want to play as Japan" moods. Would have preferred a completely different kind of game, but maybe Japanese nobility will bring some interestingly different mechanics to European feudalism.

Personally I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by Shogun 2, so you could get some run off from them, but maybe this won't be their kind of game.

I find it odd that there was this great debate over whether Vicky II could make it's money back and now Paradox embark on a niche of a niche at the same time that a 1000lb gorilla in the shape of the TW series is releasing a game in the same time period.
I think that a game focusing on industrialisation and 19th century is more niche than the all so sexy feudal Japan with samurais and ninjas. ;)

And Shogun 2 is more than likely to bring new attention to the time period with it's release, thus helping Sengoku as well. Keep in mind that Sengoku isn't probably going to come out before 2012 (I'm assuming that CK2 will come out before it), so it's not like it will rival with Shogun 2 at launch.

I admit I didn't expect Japan game with Paradox track recod of Eurocentrism, but now that I know one's coming I'm rather exited. Sengoku Japan is perfect time period for historical strategy game, and apart from the two total war games it's not that well represented in the world of strategy games.

I could easily see working on Divine Wind and CK2 giving the devs a real desire to make a Japan-focused game.

Personally, I've never been into Japanese History. However, I am very into excellent grand strategy games - the location is always more wrapping paper. The real gift being the game itself (Milton Bradley's Shogun is still one of my favorite board games - it could have been setup on a Risk board and I'd still love it). Since this looks to be a CK/Rome character driven sort of game, I'm pretty excited about this idea. And, so far, I really enjoy all the Clausewitz games. With the unusual twist of WC as the actual goal (and I've never pulled one of those off in a Paradox game), I'll be watching this one.

Wondering which feature will make of Sengoku something different into Paradox franchise... Not knowing too much of that region and era, I'm curious overall. So, waiting for more info :)