• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Japan history is not exactly my cup of tea, but because of the character/dynasty driven CK style I'll follow the development. The game should be out Q3 2011, so it may be something to shorten the wait for CK2. Anyway, Best luck with it!

A shame Paradox chose such a setting, with such a limited scope. I do hope the game isn't a complete financial disaster for Paradox though. Luckily, there's always other Paradox games that do interest me on the horizon.

I think that a game focusing on industrialisation and 19th century is more niche than the all so sexy feudal Japan with samurais and ninjas. ;)

And Shogun 2 is more than likely to bring new attention to the time period with it's release, thus helping Sengoku as well. Keep in mind that Sengoku isn't probably going to come out before 2012 (I'm assuming that CK2 will come out before it), so it's not like it will rival with Shogun 2 at launch.

I admit I didn't expect Japan game with Paradox track recod of Eurocentrism, but now that I know one's coming I'm rather exited. Sengoku Japan is perfect time period for historical strategy game, and apart from the two total war games it's not that well represented in the world of strategy games.

Hardly. One on hand you have a game where you can play any nation in the world in a time period which is hardly overflowing with titles. On the other hand you have a character based title set in a time period and region where if you don't like Japan you're going to get nothing from it. Being released shortly after a AAA PC Game focusing on exactly the same period. The only way Sengoku will really differentiate itself is via it's character focus and then you're going niche within niche, the initial niche being a Japan based game and then compounded by the niche character focus to differentiate itself from the Total War game.

I'd assume this game will come out late 2011, I don't think it's going to as large a project as CKII given it's focus upon one nation and the fact that the map already looks pretty spiffy as it is, so Paradox are probably already deep at work on gameplay and content.

Last edited:
Londinium said:
Hardly. One on hand you have a game where you can play any nation in the world in a time period which is hardly overflowing with titles. On the other hand you have a character based title set in a time period and region where if you don't like Japan you're going to get nothing from it.

Sorry, but Victorian Age is not really popular with masses either. Hell, it is probably even less popular then Japan... not to mention that Victoria's gameplay unfortunately ain't everyone's piece of cake.
Shogun 2: Total War improves its chances to sell well: it is not released at the same time so they won't compete and the hype created by Shogun 2 can be used in its advantage. Since PI planned for quite some time to make a Japan based game, this is a perfect opportunity.

Londinium said:
I'd assume this game will come out late 2011, I don't think it's going to as large a project as CKII given it's focus upon one nation and the fact that the map already looks pretty spiffy as it is, so Paradox are probably already deep at work on gameplay and content.

Number of provinces does not affect the length of development unless it is a Victoria-like game where you have POP's.
And CK is one nation as well: all Christians are more less all the same. Muslims will become playable (and thus get more focus) in expansions as may other non-Christian nations, but the fact remains that Christian gameplay is the same, no matter if we are talking about England or Hungary and thus it is the same from development perspective.

So no, we can't guess how long the game will be in development.

I hope this means that after HOI3:FTM is patched up that Victoria II gets an expansion. As for Sengoku, I'm not a fan of Japanese history, but I'll probably buy it anyway. It can't be that bad as I imagine it is going to be combat focused.

Great idea, guess I'll have to wait again for a Napoleonic era game ;)

The game is scheduled for Q3 2011 so it will be out before CKII.

I would hope that's because it's going to be a testbed for CKII given that they're probably on the same engine.

Only explanation I can come up with for why it will be out before a highly-demanded sequel with a good amount of work regarding history already done.

I would hope that's because it's going to be a testbed for CKII given that they're probably on the same engine.

Only explanation I can come up with for why it will be out before a highly-demanded sequel with a good amount of work regarding history already done.

Also, Sengoku might be partly intended to be as a prelude to CK2. Some fans will probably buy it merely out of curiosity - as a chance to take a peek into the new game mechanics of CK2 (presuming a certain similarity of mechanics due to similar appearance) half a year before its actual release.

Why I have the feeling that Paradox is trying to compete with Shogun 2? If my foolish assumption is right I don't think one need to do such a thing because on every side, Paradox game is always more superior than Total War Game in terms of game play and strategy.

What I'm looking forward to instead on the other hand, is a new Paradox strategy game probably at Medieval period but one more focused on Eastern or South-East Asia.

Sengoku looks interesting and great, although I have to admit, that I was hoping for a Dark Ages game (just look at some of my posts here in the now closed speculation threads). It's not that I don't find Japanese history uninteresting, but I'll admit that I find other areas more interesting. I other words, I might buy Sengoku, but I'll definitely buy CK2.
So I'll be following the development and maybe they can convince me to buy it anyway. :)

Testbed for CK2 is precisely what I was thinking, and a good diversion to keep us busy until its big brother's release. Maybe they were thinking to release Sengoku around the time people get bored of S2TW - which may or may not be a misassumption.

The game is scheduled for Q3 2011 so it will be out before CKII.
from the screenshots it looks alot more along the way to being finished than CKII is. but for it to come out first then they would have had to have been working on these in secret for ages! which doesnt seem all that plausible either.

from the screenshots it looks alot more along the way to being finished than CKII is. but for it to come out first then they would have had to have been working on these in secret for ages! which doesnt seem all that plausible either.
Since when did they announce that they have a 3rd team? I'm guessing, that's when they started creating the game.