• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"I'm telling you, Per Speaker, that it's better than yours. We have actually accomplished something this term, whereas under your proposal we would have accomplished nothing, as we'd be on our third general election of the term. Refugees from New Bengal, belated as our efforts may have been, will receive aid under our system...under yours, we would be out begging for votes and bragging about our various achievements while desparate refugees starve to death in our very own streets.

I'm sorry, I didn't know you weren't here to debate this...I thought when you brought it up you might want to talk about it, but I see I was wrong. Either way, I have no further issues to raise, feel free to call a vote. Thank you for helping me make my decision, Per Sykes."

Actually , the ENP has proposed an amendment to the succession process which would allow elected officials to take over the office of the President without the GA , until we run out of ministers.

An Amendment to the Constitution
Regarding Executive Succession

Purpose : To maintain civilian leadership at the highest level of the Executive Branch of government at all times.

Background : On February 11th in the XIV Term of the President, President Gonzov’s suicide left the office of President vacant. Coupled with the vacant office of the Speaker , Eutopia was left without a Chief Executive and Commander-in-Chief.

We , the citizens of Eutopia in the General Assembly do hereby resolve to amend the Constitution of the United Provinces of Eutopia in the following manner.

Article II.
2. Removal, Impeachment, and Succession
c. Should the office of the President become vacant, the Vice President shall fulfill the duties of President for the remainder of the term.

d. Should the Vice President be unable to take possession of the office of the President or should the office of the Vice President become vacant, Presidential powers will temporarly be transferred to one of the cabinet members in the following order.
1. Attorney General
2. Minister of Finance
3. Minister of Interior
4. Minister of Social Services

e. Should the office of the Vice President become vacant, the General Assembly shall elect a new Vice President.

f. Upon election of a new Vice President , the Vice President shall fulfill the duties of President for the remainder of the term.

I believe if we could get this fast tracked or up to a vote eventually , this problem would be eliminated. I believe that Per Sykes diligence in keeping things going here in the GA is a fine example of how he would keep things rolling in the office of the President. Hard working men will pour themselves into whatever position they have and whether it be the speaker or the president , I assure you that Per. Sykes will be as noble and hardworking a man as we have ever seen.

It is time we move away from politicians and elect a man that will bring action into the office of the president. Per. Sykes is that man of action, he has shown that to us here in this very assembly! The days of "laissez faire" government are comming to an end, and Per. Sykes is the one to lead us into that bright future , days of action FOR the Eutopian people.

Reverand,

I must disagree with your proposed bill. In the current form of our democracy, each of those offices are elected individually. The Vice President's replacement must be elected from this body, not taken from another office. Or else we begin a domino effect in the ministries. As one minister steps up, another must be appointed, and so on and so forth. And since the Party can choose replacements, it would be party officials who were choosing the President, not the people.

We, as elected assembly members, have been appointed by the people. It is our job to represent them, and in cases where votes are required, vote for them. Your bill suggests we ignore the voting process all together, and instead allow Parties to control appointments mid-term.

While I accept such a case in immediate emergencies (a national crisis say) I do not want this to be a permanent solution. In the end, the General Assembly should elect the Vice President, and, in cases where the VP must move up, the President, untill national elections can be held. We are here as representatives, and your bill takes that power away from us.

"Moreover it would affect the good working of government. This bill, allowing the Attorney General to succeed if the President and Speaker are unfilled, would vastly increase the importance of the AG's office, whilst it would drastically reduce interest in the MoI and MoSS. I could accept allowing the AG to act as acting president until a new one was elected if it was needed and the rest of the cabinet consented to it, but anything more I think we must oppose.

Electing a president through the GA is imperfect, but it at least allows a measure of democracy. Reverend Pollos, your suggestion removes that element, whilst Per Sykes' proposal of new general elections would be expensive and overly time-consuming.

There is no silver bullet in such matters. The only real solution is to elect dedicated men who will not need to be replaced. I would call upon my fellow assembly members to vote for Per Cain, who understands this. Though he disappeared from public life last term, you can't blame a man for being assaulted.

He's a moderate, prepared to listen to his own party but also to work with any other party to create a working compromise.

Moreover, he's a representative of the party which won the term XIV presidential elections. No disrespect to Per Sykes, but he stands for a party which the Eutopian people did not pick for this role. He might or might not make a good president, but for better or worse I believe we should respect the decision of the Eutopian people for the rest of this term."

And with that Per Sykes, I move we vote on this issue and get it over with.

Although several of your comments on the Constitutional amendemt where inaccurate , that is a debate for another time.

I also feel that the time to move to a vote has come. And with so many leadership changes this term in the presidents office , one must wonder how the Eutopian people will feel in regards to thier choice of the ELP to head up that office?!

Very well.

I think that Per Pollos' proposed amendment be looked into after the speaker/presidential election.

At the very least, we should look into a constitutional change. Or at the very, very least, examine what's causing our leaders to disappear.

Thanks for the debate, and I wish to thank the backbencher from the ELP for his good questions.

We will now hold a vote.

Zhokhyen enters the assembly.

"J.R. Zhokhyen, reporting to take a seat as the PoL Senior Legislator."

He quietly takes a seat.

Per Zhokhyen,

The speaker recognizes you; but you will be unable to vote until the next session begins.

"Fellow members of the assembly, I thank you.

I will not take up your time with long speeches. I will get to work immedaitly, and if the President does not reapear, I will encourage the next speaker election as soon as possible.

Thank you all, and lets get to business.

A Note: there are two bills yet to be seconded in my office.

Although I may only be in this office a short time, I will get things done. There are many bills that have not yet been voted on occording to the Speaker's office.

I will go down the list of seconded bills that have been seconded, but have not, occording to the speaker's office, been removed from voting or voted on.

The Equal Access to Marriage Amendment

The right of marriage shall not be abridged between two consenting adults, irregardless of gender or sexual orientation.

The Tax Relief and Reform Act

The federal corporate tax rate shall be decreased uniformily as to result in a 0.5 budget points decrease in revenue under current economic conditions.

The federal income tax rate shall be decreased uniformily as to result in a 0.25 budget points decrease in revenue under current economic conditions.

The minimum threshold for each federal income tax bracket shall be increased uniformly as to result in a 0.25 budget points decrease in revenue under current economic conditions.

Eutopian Federal Mortgage Guarantee Corporation Establishment Act ("EFMGCEA")

Whereas, higher percentages of home ownership are positively correlated with better standards of living, and increasing percentages of home ownership are positively correlated with economic growth, and

Whereas, since the privatization of RECOM, and the subsequent virtual elimination of the public debt of the United Provinces of Eutopia, there has been a shortage of the highest quality locally issued debt relative to investor demands, which has tended to lead to investment in other markets, most notably the United States, which could be filled by guaranteed local mortgage backed securities, and

Whereas, the lack of an organized process of mortgage securitization has led to higher mortgage rates for current and potential homeowners in the UPE, thus acting as a disincentive to home ownership, and

Whereas, in other countries, standardization and securitization of mortgages has led to lower mortgage rates and increased home ownership percentages, be it therefore

Resolved, that the Eutopian Federal Mortgage Guarantee Corporation is hereby established as government chartered corporation, under the portfolio of the Minister of Finance with 0.1% of the budget allocated to start up expenses, to be reimbursed out of future profits, and be it further

Resolved, that said corporation is hereby authorized to sell non-voting preferred stock to banks and other financial institutions, and is authorized to borrow in bond or debt markets for up to 12.5 times the amount of its net capital, and be it further

Resolved, that the sole business of the said corporation is to guarantee the timely payment of principal and interest on securities backed by pools of mortgages on one to four family owner occupied principal residences located within the boundaries of the United Provinces of Eutopia, where the amount of the mortgage at time of securitization is not more than twice the median house price in United Provinces of Eutopia, and be it further

Resolved, that said corporation shall charge a guarantee fee sufficient to cover expected losses and provide a fair return to its investors after tax, and be it further

Resolved, that said corporation shall be entitled to set mortgage underwriting standards, including, but not limited to, loan to value ratios, minimum down payments, and income to debt service percentages for the mortgages it is willing to guarantee, and be it further

Resolved, the federal anti-discrimination regulations will apply to the Eutopian Federal Mortgage Guarantee Corporation.

The voting on this bill is now officially closed.

If these bills have been taken care of please announce it here. Because as of right now, all three of these bills have been seconded but not removed from the office.

Last edited:
Per speaker, congratulations on your election as president of the Republic.

So, what now? Do we hold another election for speaker?

On second thoughts, I imagine that I'm still Deputy, so that makes me speaker.

I will open a new office this time. Last time, everything was all confused and hard to figure out what was what.

All pending legislation must be re-introduced in the new office.

"Correction, Mr. Sykes. You are the Deputy Speaker, and according to the house rules you must hold the election of another speaker. You don't automatically get the post. And I imagine this should be the first order of business, no?"

Mr Sykes at the moment we don't have a Speaker only a deputy speaker thus we have a gap in the political chain, As we have all seen recently these gaps seem to slow the governing process of this country to a halt. So Mr Sykes I think it would be in the best interests of the politcal system and thus the people of Eutopia to allow for the election of a new speaker.

My friends , and associates. A terrible day has befallen us here. As the sands of time blow across the hour glass of Eutopian history , we like many before us are now forced to retire ourselves into history and let only the pen of some other , possibly unknown person grasp the life of our heroic struggles here on Eutopia. Will that pen be forgiving, will it be just, will we be remembered with love and admiration or with contempt and hatred?

As for you and yours , you may return to your homes in whatever land you come from. You may pursue a career in another field. Some lawyers, media personalities, corporate suits, ministers, or politicians. That choice is yours and it will give you the power to take hold of the pen of destiny and history again and begin to write your own mark upon the pages of some place, some people. some nation. Hold that pen with strength and hold onto your sanity and beliefs. Always be strong and be passionate in what you believe.

As for me , I will return to the land of my ancestors , in the United States. Where my love for politics and religion has lead me to pursue my interests thier again. My God Bless you , if you believe in Him, and if you dont! Then I hope He will bless you anyway. Good bye my brothers and sisters , Good Bye Eutopia.

mabus said:
My friends , and associates. A terrible day has befallen us here. As the sands of time blow across the hour glass of Eutopian history , we like many before us are now forced to retire ourselves into history and let only the pen of some other , possibly unknown person grasp the life of our heroic struggles here on Eutopia. Will that pen be forgiving, will it be just, will we be remembered with love and admiration or with contempt and hatred?

As for you and yours , you may return to your homes in whatever land you come from. You may pursue a career in another field. Some lawyers, media personalities, corporate suits, ministers, or politicians. That choice is yours and it will give you the power to take hold of the pen of destiny and history again and begin to write your own mark upon the pages of some place, some people. some nation. Hold that pen with strength and hold onto your sanity and beliefs. Always be strong and be passionate in what you believe.

As for me , I will return to the land of my ancestors , in the United States. Where my love for politics and religion has lead me to pursue my interests thier again. My God Bless you , if you believe in Him, and if you dont! Then I hope He will bless you anyway. Good bye my brothers and sisters , Good Bye Eutopia.

I will return to Norway, the land of my ancestors. Good bye, Eutopia.

Gonzov arrives at the General Assembly building, complete with Top Hat and Cane. He tap dances the tune of La Cucaracha and shoots Zhokhyen in the foot, then proceeds to rip off his tuxedo revealing a Camel-Spider Man suit. Pausing dramatically, he says:

Eutopia is safe, for another day. To infinity, and beyond!

Gonzov quickly escapes

The Gonzo said:
Gonzov arrives at the General Assembly building, complete with Top Hat and Cane. He tap dances the tune of La Cucaracha and shoots Zhokhyen in the foot, then proceeds to rip off his tuxedo revealing a Camel-Spider Man suit. Pausing dramatically, he says:

Eutopia is safe, for another day. To infinity, and beyond!

Gonzov quickly escapes

[OOC: What the hell?]