• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HJ Tulp

General
22 Badges
Jan 19, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
This is the General Assembly where the respresentatives of the Eutopian People debate and vote on legislature concerning their nation.

OOC:OOC: Party leaders, please be sure to distinguish (somewhere) between Senior Legislators and Junior Legislators. Until legislative records are established and personal opinions fleshed out, NPC backbenchers will look primarily to the party's Senior Legislator. Each party MUST have one (and only one) Senior Legislator. Each party MAY have as many PC Junior Legislators as it has available GA seats.

Also note that while any MGA is constitutionally eligible for the position of Speaker, Senior Legislators are the natural candidates and will be looked to first by the backbenchers. (This only makes sense -- if you aren't in charge of your party, how can you be in charge of the entire assembly?) You may wish to take this into account when selecting a Senior Legislator. Note further that while in future Speaker elections the outgoing Speaker may conduct the election as he or she sees fit, for the current election, Clay will only entertain one candidate from each party.

Finally, note yet further that under the current Constitutional order, party chairpersons may not be a party's Senior Legislator.

Copyright The_Hawk enterprises.

"The General Assembly is hereby opened. Nominations for the Speakership of Term XIV are hereby allowed and encouraged."

I, per Jim Sykes, chairper of the ENP, submit my nomination for speaker of the General Assembly.

Per Tulp will serve as Senior Legislator.

"I am Emil Lucescu of the Party of Liberty returning to the Assembly, considering the ability to do such, as a Junior Legislator. Though it does not appear the Speaker nominations require seconds from supporters, I still wish to express my approval of Per Leary's bid. He served the body commendably as Speaker in the last term."

*A young thin man enters the assembly with a satchel of well organized papers and files. Having decided like always to for go formal clothing, he wears a slightly oversized army jacket and a pair of worn converse shoes. His ash blonde hair is freshly cut and is neither stylish nor bad.*

"Greetings, I per Saul Florian is reporting as junior legislator for the Eutopian Labour Party"

"I will be serving as Senior Legislator in the General Assembly this term. As Per Gonzov has announced, the Eutopian Labour Party will not put forward a candidate for Speaker at this time, and will only do so in future if no party makes an acceptable offer for our support.

Per Florian, welcome to the General Assembly."

Upon further review, The ENP withdraws my candidacy for speaker, and will not run a candidate.

Thankyou

Antonin stalks into the General Assembly room, looking quite cross indeed. He looks around for a moment, brushing some stray black hair from his face. He spotted per Florian over at a corner at the room, and strode over there. He nodded stiffly to the Backbenchers and per Berengeurr, per Florian, and sat down, still not looking quite as cross as before.

"I am Antonin Nicolas Black, now reporting in here for Junior Legislator of the Eutopian Labour Party."

"Mr. Speaker, am I mistaken in thinking that none of Eutopia's other political parties with seats in the Assembly are equal to the task of putting up a candidate for Speaker? If such is the case, then I would like to humbly suggest you confirm Per Leary's win by default so we may move on to the subject of budget."

"I will give the Assembly until....tomorrow 0900 hours Greenwich Main Time to come up with a second canditate. If none arrives I will hand over the speakership to the esteemed Per Leary."

"You know what, let's make that till the end of the day. By 0000 hours I want the candidate to come forward."

I Gerard Philipe chair person of PEL declare that per Seneca Bradford will be our senior legislator, also we will not have a candidate for a speaker position as we belive that per Leary has experience and the support of the most parties, including ours for this position.

Thank you.

"Aha, well as there are no other contestants I congratulate Per Leary. I lay down the Speakership to Per Leary. Thank you."

Leary steps forward to claim the Speaker's podium and gavel.

"Thank you all for your support and confidence. Now, let us get on with business. The first matter on the agenda is the budget, as ordered by the Constitution. Nothing outside of matters pertaining to the budget will be discussed until the budget is put to a vote. However, the Speaker's office will accept the submission of non-budget related bills and motions, and the seconds of those bills and motions."

"Now, as soon as the President is ready to submit his bill, he is welcomed the floor."

The President of the United Provinces of Eutopia, Alexi Gonzov (wearing his best suit) arrives to the General Assembly with great ceremony. He enters the building accompnied by the Eutopian National Anthem, and takes the podium

My fellow Eutopians, I am presenting the General Assembly with my proposal for the Official Budget of Term XIV. The changes are that Defense will be scaled down to 7.25%, in accordance with the Leverage Budget. Public Health will be increased by 1%, Welfare by .5%, and Omnicare will be brought back to Leverage spending again, a total increase of .5%. There shall be a total surplus of 1.75%, enough for any emergency spending or tax cuts neccessary. Let the debate begin.

Code:
	              Current     Proposed     Difference
                      Budget      Budget        
[b]President[/b]			
Government Admin.	4.5	     4.5	     0
Defense 	        8	     7.25 	     -0.75
Foreign Intelligence	1.25	     1.25             0
Foreign Aid	        0.5	     0	        -0.5
Foreign Affairs	        1.5	     1.5             0

[b]Attorney General[/b]			
Federal Law Enf.	5.25	     5.25	   0
Domestic Intelligence	2	     2	             0
Border Protection	1	     1	             0
Court System	        3	     3	             0

[b]Interior Minister[/b]
Land Transportation	4	     4  	     0
Air Transportation	2	     2	     0 
Sea Transportation	3	     3	     0
Coast Guard	        3	     3	             0
Environ. Protection	1.25	     1.25	             0
National Parks	        1.25	     1.25             0
Postal Service	        2	     2	             0
Government Media	2.75	     2.75	  0

[b]Finance Minister[/b]			
Industry and Labor	7.25	     7.25         0
Trade and Customs	4	     4	            0
Natural Resources	3	     3	             0
Treasury Enforcement	2	     2	            0

[b]Social Services Minister[/b]
Public Health	        9	     10	             1
Welfare	                13	     13.5	             0.5
Omnicare	        8	     8.5	             0.5
Sports	                1	     1	             0
Education	        4	     4	             0
Science and Research	2.25	     2.25	             0
Drug Control	        0.5	     0.5	               0 

[b]Anticipated Income[/b]	102.75	     102.75	     0

[b]Total Expenditures[/b]	100.75	     100.75	     0

[b]Surplus/Deficit[/b]	        1.25	     1.75	     0.5

Are there any questions?

Last edited:
I have a few, Per President. You have provided increases in welfare, public health, and Omnicare. Why? With our economy growing , we should need less welfare funding, not more. I have also not seen any indication from any neutral body that Omnicare or public health need a spending increase. Do you have access to information we do not?

Also, it concerns me to see the defense budget remains at 7.25. As I told you earlier, Per President, our military is in need of certain upgrades and/or expansions, particularly our navy. Yet, with the defense budget remaining static, it seems to me that we will not be able to procure these upgrades. Unless you plan on compromising our defense in other areas to fund these upgrades. Of course, the net gain there would be 0, since any gains would be offset by the loss in readiness to areas that were previously funded, but now cut.

Last edited:
OOC: Whoops! Took the budget from the first page of the ECB, didn't realise that the bill modifications were missing. :eek:o

Edit: Edited to match the current reccomendations. Surplus moved down to 1.75/

Last edited:
Craig Ashley said:
I have a few, Per President. You have provided increases in welfare, public health, and Omnicare. Why? With our economy growing , we should need less welfare funding, not more. I have also not seen any indication from any neutral body that Omnicare or public health need a spending increase. Do you have access to information we do not?

A growing economy does not mean that less people get ill, Per Leary. These budget increases are a step back towards the Leverage Government, when Health and Welfare spending was robust. My proposed changes are not excessive, rather the contrary, they are quite moderate.

Craig Ashley said:
Also, it concerns me to see the defense budget remains at 7.25. As I told you earlier, Per President, our military is in need of certain upgrades and/or expansions, particularly our navy. Yet, with the defense budget remaining static, it seems to me that we will not be able to procure these upgrades. Unless you plan on compromising our defense in other areas to fund these upgrades. Of course, the net gain there would be 0, since any gains would be offset by the loss in readiness to areas that were previously funded, but now cut.

Our military is sufficient as it is, acting as a Defense Force. I belive in our meeting a few days ago you said that Tilapia couldn't beat us in a war, and that their only option would be to prevent us from winning, what reason would an increase in Defense Spending be other than to wage war on our neighbours to the south? If increases to the military budget are needed urgently, I would be happy to dip my hand into the 1.75% reserved as a surplus in an extreme situation.