• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes , we should not loose the momentum created when you took control per deputy speaker. I sense a major power shift soon due to vacant offices and believe that if we act too quickly here , we would loose that momentum.

I agree. Unless there is last minute discusstion WETS will be tabled for a vote.

Also note that nominations for the new speaker are now being accepted in the Speaker's office.

Here is a copy of the final version as of now

*Rev. Pollos hands Per. Sykes a copy of the NBRA as amended*

New Bengal Reconstruction Act

WHEREAS the island of New Bengal has been devastated by the ravages of civil war,

WHEREAS reconstruction of New Bengal is crucial to alleviate human suffering and to protect the welfare of the island of Eutopia as a whole,

WHEREAS the countries of the island of Eutopia are bound by ties of history, kinship, respect, and an obligation of mutual regard,

THEREFORE the General Assembly enacts the following.

Part I. Funding

1. Under the terms of this Act, the United Provinces of Eutopia shall intially contribute a total of 1.8 BP to New Bengal reconstruction. This amount shall be financed in accordance with Sections 2, 3, 4 and 5 of this Act.

2. The Term XIV Budget allocates 0.75 BP to tax cuts. With passage of this Act, these tax cuts shall be re-allocated as follows, in a manner that devotes 0.55 BP to New Bengal reconstruction:
(a) 0.1 BP shall be used to implement a general corporate tax cut;
(b) 0.1 BP shall be used to raise the minimum threshold of all income tax brackets in a uniform fashion;
(c) 0.2 BP shall be allocated to tax cuts for individuals, organizations, and corporations investing in the New Bengal reconstruction effort during Term XIV, commensurate with the amount invested;
(d) individuals, organizations, and corporations shall have the opportunity to donate to a New Bengal Solidarity Fund, to be established in accordance with Sections 7, 8 and 12 of this Act; during Term XIV, all contributions to that Fund shall be tax-deductible, up to a total amount of 0.35 BP;
(e) with passage of this Act, the Tax Relief and Reform Act shall be dismissed without discussion or vote;
(f) any monies from (c) or (d) which cannot be allocated should there be a lower than expected take-up shall be given directly by the United Province of Eutopia to the New Bengal Solidarity Fund.

3. The Term XIV Budget allocates 0.5 BP to payment of debts incurred in Term XIII. Debt payment shall be deferred to Term XV, and:
(a) 0.1BP of these funds shall instead be allocated to the New Bengal Solidarity Fund;
(b) 0.4BP of these funds shall be allocated to the New Bengal Solidarity Fund, but the Ministry of Social Services shall be allowed to draw upon a proportion of these funds, provided they have the approval of the Minister of Finance and the Presidency, should there be a serious shortage of funds for relief efforts in the WET.

4. The Term XIV Budget projects a budget surplus of 0.25 BP. These funds shall be allocated to the New Bengal Solidarity Fund.

5. The Term XIV Budget allocated an 0.5 BP increase to foreign affairs. These funds shall instead be allocated to the New Bengal Solidarity Fund.

6. Nothing in this Act prevents the General Assembly from allocating additional funds, in any amount or manner it sees fit, to the New Bengal reconstruction effort by way of future legislation, if this is deemed necessary.

Part II. Dispersal of Funds

7. With passage of this Act, the President shall be required to establish a government agency by the name of New Bengal Solidarity Fund. The purpose of that agency shall be to raise funds for New Bengal reconstruction in accordance with Section 2.(d) of this Act and to disperse any funds it raises in this manner, and further to disperse any funds that are allocated to it in accordance with Sections 3, 4, 5 and 6 of this Act.

8. The New Bengal Solidarity Fund shall operate under the auspices of the office of the President. The President shall appoint a Director to oversee the operations of the Fund.

9. The New Bengal Solidarity Fund shall disperse the funds allocated to it by way of transfer to that government agency charged by the Tilapian government with overseeing, financing, planning and implementing the New Bengal reconstruction effort.

10. Further to Section 9 of this Act, the New Bengal Solidarity Fund shall transfer any funds in bi-annual installments, subject to satisfactory usage of those funds by the Tilapian government agency in question. Satisfactory usage requires that Eutopian funds allocated to the Tilapian government agency in question are used in a manner that is both transparent and takes into account, as far as practicable, the demands and concerns of the government of the Tilapian province of New Bengal as regards reconstruction.

11. The New Bengal Solidarity Fund must prepare a report on its operations and dispersal of funds at the end of Term XIV, and the end of any future Term should its existence be extended. Any such report must be submitted to the General Assembly for approval.

12. The New Bengal Solidarity Fund shall initially be established for the remainder of Term XIV. Its existence may be extended by the General Assembly if deemed necessary.

Thank you Per Pollos.

Voting is now open on the NBRA Act

Voting will start tomorrow on the new speaker. We currently have two candidates.

"And the WETS? Admiral Tulp seems to have abandoned his attempt to make a case against the bill and debate has come to a standstill.

You've earlier said you plan to move it to a vote, Per Pollos has supported doing so, when will voting open?"

Nominations for speaker is now closed.

Per Cain and myself, Per Sykes, are the candidates.

Voting will start shortly.

Thank you Major Braxton. Because you just signed up I can't allow you to vote on any of the current Bills. But you will be able to vote in the speaker election.

"Do the candidates plan to tell us why we should vote for them? I'd like to think we can continue this streak of non-partisan politics by letting the two candidates tell us why we should choose them then electing the best man for the job."

Sure. Of course.

Per Cain is invited to plead his case.

I'll simply say that I've been doing this for half the term now, and it might be best for the sake of continuity to let me continue, rather than have a third speaker this term.

I got off to a slow start, but that's mostly cause I hadn't been following all that was going on before I got saddled with this position. But I think I'm just getting the hang of it now.

So, for continuity for the remainder of the term, I ask all MGAs to vote for me as your speaker.

thankyou

There is a moment's uncomfortable silence, before an ELP backbencher rises and speaks. "Be that as it may, Per Sykes, we all know that we're not actually voting for the next speaker. We're voting for the next President here. As soon as we have a new official Speaker, President Vandelft will be removed due to the fact that he has yet to appear, and the Speaker will be elevated to the Presidency. Then we'll have another Speaker election.

Doesn't your argument indicate that we should in fact, NOT vote for you in this election, but instead vote for Per Cain and then vote for you in the second speaker election? For the sake of continuity and keeping you in the position you are in now."

"Indeed, as my fellow Party member stated, we are, in all likely hood, voting for the next President of Eutopia. And so I will speak to you, my fellow members of the General Assembly.

My resume is not one that exites, nor one that has a series of famous speeches or events. But it is one of dilligence and hard work. I began my career as a Minister of the government, however, shortly after my appointment General Levarge had me arrested along with other ministers.

I was freed by Levarge in order to work with emergency aid and medical institutions during what I feared would be a violent crisis. After the end of the Levarge era, I cofounded the Labour Party. I had not intended for the Labour party to make the impact that it did. In fact, we planned on being the party devoted to keeping the government honest.

However, things took off. And, as I led the ELP into the first campaign, we became one of the strongest party's in the government. My cooporation with Labor and the Monarchists helped bridge parts of this country into the first cohesive government after the Levarge coup. Together, with other parties here, we led the government to this point.

I did leave the public life for some time. During the riots outside AAH headquarters, I was injured. Due to my injuries, I was forced to leave the public eye. Upon my return I have taken up the reigns of my party and am once again helping the people of Eutopia in these halls.

I think the most important part of this election will be the stability our president can provide. That is what I offer. Stability in the form of a moderate stance. I will ensure that the government stays running untill election time. I will continue to encourage economic and social growth, while at the same time making sure that the country continues down a smooth, peacefull, and stable path. I hope that together, I, the ministers, and this noble congress, can make sure Eutopia stays on the right path. We will continue our friendly relations with the rest of the world, and improve our stance in the eyes of our neighbors. A maintained stability will improve our economy, our confidence and our nation. That is what I will offer, stability and confidence, if I am elected.

Jim Sykes shrugs.

"Be that as it may. We are technically voting for speaker and as such I don't think this should be turned into a presidential campaign.

However, since Per Cain has said his bit, I'll do mine.

I admit I am young, relatively new to politics, and have very little experience. However, we all know that this term is on its last legs, so to speak. What better way for one to gain the experience then through a short stint as presidency?

First and foremost, I think, as Per CAin said, we need to have stability in our leadership. I think both Per Cain and myself, can vow to be here until the end of term. I'm not going anywhere.

I see one major issue that needs to be dealt with. The ongoing situation with our neighbours. Historically we've tried many things. We've tried to bring us all together, and that has failed. We've also tried some form of military cooperation, and that has failed.

I will try to push for a full military understanding with our neighbours. If not a full alliance, at least one where our military leaders share information. We need to head off situations like what happened in New Bengal and deal with the new issues in WET.

In short, whereas in the past, domestic issues have been in the forefront, it is crucial that we now followup on foreign policy issues.

Another thing I would look into is our constitutional succession format. I believe that if the president disappears, the VP should succeed. If the VP disappears before he names a sucessor, then new elections should be called. The current system, I believe, is undemocratic. Neither myself, nor Per Cain, would have the DIRECT mandate from the people.

And third, we really should examine the Black Hole and find out just where all our veteran politicos disappear to.

"Per Speaker, should the President be removed, the Vice President *does* take over. Per Vandelft, as the actual Speaker and Vice President, is our new President. However, as precedent established earlier in this eventful term, should the Speaker cum President not say a public word before his replacement at Speaker is named, he is promptly removed and the new Speaker is President. Vandelft has not been seen since you took over here. This *is* a Presidential election, Per Sykes...your denial will not change that or help your candidacy.

Per Sykes, not counting the man we elect today, we have had FIVE Presidents this term. Would you, CAN you, in good conscience demand that the business of government halt entirely FIVE times in one term to elect new Presidents in popular elections when the parties here represent a valid percentage of the voting public? Can you say our results here would be so different from a popular election that they would justify not just huge inefficiency but the complete shutdown of government for a drawn out Presidential election?

The Vice President, who we elect as Speaker, would ascend in your system, and he would have no more direct a mandate than the current system. And if I understand your proposal correctly, the Vice President would name a successor that would ascend if he could not...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one man choosing a successor even less democratic than the current system of 100 men and women who form a representative sample of the voting public? Doesn't this make your system both less efficient AND less democratic?" There is some general muttering of approval, much of it from the ELP section of the Assembly. Sykes can't be sure, but he thinks that the backbencher may be attempting to bait him into a corner where he can really put him down for the count.

Jim makes a mental note that if he does become president, he will have this ELP backbencher executed. Nay, rather than a mental note, he pauses to write it down.

"So per backbencher. You are telling me that our system, where, in your own admittance, we've had five presidents, is a good system?

Whatever, I'm not here to debate the constitutional inefficiency of our system. But the People are certainly tired of this unstable mess we find ourselves in. Since the untimely death of Gen. Levarge, we've been in a governmental decline. And NO, I'm not calling for a return to a dictatorship, but certainly I think the people will agree that we need some form of accountability.

Our current system, wisely accepted by this Assembly, did not forsee the farce of our disappearing presidents. We need to stop this madness. And yes, I believe that if both the elected president and the vice-president disappear, it is time to call a new government election.

Once we fall down two or three rungs down the ladder, the whole notion of the elected president and cabinet becomes a farce......

....now, if there is no other issue, perhaps we can move to vote."