• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, I don't know. I think the battle was rather well done, actually, and it balanced the demands of gameplay, story, and historical expectations nicely, as BT is wont to do.

Please don't take this as hostile criticism, but I disagree with at least some of your points, and here is why:

The Romans were well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of a steppe army. They have fought them ever since the time of the Sarmatians and the Alans.

...and compared to the real Romans, BT's Romans have done ahistorically well. They manage to DIRECTLY hold land where no Greece/Anatolia-based Empire has ever done, and regularly hold off nomad armies without help from other nomads.

The Rus, for example, also dealt with nomads/horse archer nations just fine. They destroyed the Khazars, assimilated the smaller nations (Oghuz Torks, Berendeys and Sharukan Qaraqalpaks), marginalized the Volga Bulgars, held off the Hungarians, drove the Pechenegs off into Wallachia and were slowly beating back the dreaded Cumans. Then came the Mongols and dealt with the Bulgars, Cumans and the Rus themselves in just three years.

They had numerous tactical manuals advising a general how to counter them. He was advised to use the terrain, to use foot archers and light cavalry, to have a significant reserve at hand (at least 1/3 of the army), to use spies and money to divide the enemy army. In the battle of Yaik, there is no reserve, the crucial left flank is left to the Kievans lead by a fool, when the much more disciplined and effective Roman cavalry should have been there.

They have a lot of tactics manuals, mostly because it gave you some social credential as an intellectual and a warrior to write one. Implementation depended on what was at hand, and truth be told, (in OTL) without Turkish auxillaries a period Rhomanian army isn't worth much. BT's army is, if anything, unreasonably strong without resorting to mercenaries.

And as for division - come on! This is the Jochi Ulus, alone. You cannot really divide it at this point. It's either that, or Chingiz was a total fool and not a world legend who forged the world's deadliest military out of divided tribes. The spies - the Mongols themselves had famously excellent intelligence, both spies and of course their expert scouts. They often surprised armies on their own turf, even though there are some notable exceptions - notable, as it were, precisely because they are exceptions.

Also, archers would have been placed on the left to keep away the Mongol light horse archers (foot archers had a greater range especially when shooting from higher ground) with the Kievan cavalry as a reserve to protect them from a charge of the Mongol heavy cavalry.

Again, the Romans don't have anything close to the period composite steppe bow. Their archers don't have a longer range than the Mongols, they have a shorter range. Their Caucasian mercenaries might be a match, and maybe some of the Rus (and marginally Steppe Dane) cavalry, but Vladimir threw his men away, the Alans are too few, and the Danes were defending their infantry.

The reason why horse archery is generally done at 60 feet range is for efficiency and not for range; there are numerous Arabic military manuals explaining that. Turkish (and Mongol bows are as good or better at this period) could easily clear 300 feet had they wanted to, but then they'd waste the arrows they have transported over vast distances on inaccurate shooting.

You seem to have fallen to the Mongol fanboy syndrome. The Mongols were not the only ones who could employ deception on the battlefield. It is hard to see a man like Lainze not realising that the Mongols would be desperate to provoke the Roman left to attack since it would pretty much the only way to win the battle. I mean, not only he comes up is a ambush Subotai can see from the first second, he also has not the foresight to read a manual on two on how to counter a steppe army?

If anything, BT probably gave the Romans too many breaks in this description, no doubt to describe game results. The trick of ambush behind the hill actually worked on the Mongols and brought the Mamlukes victory. The Mamlukes also happened to be a top-notch horse archer army AND have enough numerical advantage AND were speedy enough to cut off Kitbogha's retreat and pin him against the river AND the Mongol army had a heavy element of Georgian and Armenian allies, mostly on foot.

Oh - AND it just so happened that Baybars himself was a Cuman who had seen the Mongols in action first-hand. There's no way any of the commanders at Yaik had that much experience. And even then, the Mongols put up a very tough fight and it was closer than it should have been.

This is after all Subotai we're talking about; the man is an indisputable legend and storytelling requires him to be almost superhumanly prescient. This does not reflect badly on Methar so much as build up the Dire Mongol Threat (that so often disappoints completely in actual CK). And as for someone getting the short stick - Orda is certainly a random pick from a hat. A very disciplined and able commander who was in sole command in Poland's worst 13th century defeat and beat numerically superior European armies several times (consider that his entire ulus was just 20,000 men) - here he throws away his entire claim to power because the story demands it.

To be honest, Jamuqa+Subotai+Batu+Orda in one battle versus a largely provincial Roman army to me means complete extinguishing of the pesky Danes, a dead Byzantine regent, and a glorious burning of Kiev. So the allies got off really rather well.

I realise that you probably lost the battle in the game, so you had to write a matching AAR but the way the battle was conducted seemed quite improbable. I hope the rant above sounds a constructive criticism. If not, my apologies. :)

It's always an interesting discussion, and I have to agree that the battle verged on improbable - the Mongols behaved like rank amateurs. They weren't facing a professional horse archer force that outnumbered them something like 2:1 in cavalry on familiar ground; they faced roughly equal numbers of assorted feudal ragtag-at-arms stiffened by some fancy guards, leagues away from any real centres of power.

By all counts, the Romans (and the Danes) proved themselves more than worthy in this one. I'm as big of a Roman fan as a Mongol fan, but generally speaking the Romans rarely had to deal with anything quite like the Jochi ulus (the Huns?) - and their track record isn't stellar when they did, although one can hardly compare across centuries.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm with RGB on most of his points, along with the larger one that being successful at Byzantine politics (or even the logistical feats involved in supplying the army or the earlier fleet manuoevre) doesn't translate at all into successful battlefield tactics.

If anything, it would've been a hindrance: Leo's battlefield guide, at least, was very clear that the general should use diplomacy and pay outs and avoid battle with northern barbarians if at all possible. It wouldn't've been with the Mongols until the time came for a succession crisis. Further, deploying the Russian prince at the place of honor is exactly a Byzantine mistake, suffered due to issues of protocol and prestige.

In any case, very good work, from the fools on both sides wearing their idiocy like badges of bravery* to the level of detail and realism that gets people disagreeing and debating like this in the first place. :D

*Do tell us the idiot Rus didn't get canonized.

I just finished catching up with your aar and I have to say its really good.
Fabulous work BT. Looking forward to the next installment, and eventually the eu3 version :cool:

complete extinguishing of the pesky Danes, a dead Byzantine regent, and a glorious burning of Kiev.

I like the way you think :D

The Roman army is virtually invincible by European standards. The Mongols are definitely not Europeans and play by their own rules. Even with the intelligence gained from the Rus it was the mistakes, uncaracteritic as they were, of the Mongols that allowed the bulk of the army to escape. If Orda had held back and pinned the Romans with Batu and allowed Jamuqa to rout the Kievan cavalry... With their flank lost the Roman army would become easy pickings. Half would probably drown trying flee across the river.
I also noticed that in the maps Batu and Jamuqa's positions are switched in the first.

I don't know who would have won in history, but from a narrative view, this battle rocks. Every time you think you know what is going to happen, something else does! I was almost on the edge of my seat reading this one!
And the neat trick of the mongols falling for their own trap was also nice. Not that they would, but then, this is a narative of an a-historical game anyway....
And both the empire and the danes managed to save a good part of their army.
I would very much like to know what happens now.....

Before my replies, I'll wade into the Mongol discussion with a few author comments on the question.

First, I acknowledge there are fans of both the Byzantines and the Mongols present, and to be honest, where there are sincere fans, not everyone will be pleased. :D Several things to keep in mind, however.

1) The Mongol army that fought the Romans was hastily cobbled from four disparate tumen. Subotai's tumen, for example, had few spare horses left and thus its role was more limited in the battle.
2) The Roman army that faced the Mongols was not a professional corps of troops. It too was cobbled--Roman thematakoi are not nearly as disciplined as the Byzantine armies of event he real life Komnenoi, they bear far greater resemblance to a feudal army than a disciplined core troop. Also, since the thematakoi are under jurisdiction of their local prince, his wishes and vanities have to be taken into account when assigning battle order, seniority, etc--hence why Kiev held such an important position If his sensibilities are not assuaged, under the changes in Imperial law that started under Manuel, he doesn't have to field his troops. If you're looking for the disciplined Byzantine army you described, those are the Imperial Guard tagmata which as of Yaik were not in the field on the steppe.
3) As this is an alternate history, not a blow by blow description of the real thing, differences appear. In this alternate history, the Mongols are early (Temujin and Jamuqa never had their historic falling out), but also Orda is a horrifically bad commander. The Roman Empire is ahistorically large and powerful, but fields large numbers of ill-disciplined, ill-equipped thematakoi instead of solely a smaller, focused corps of disciplined troops.
4) The Romans have tons of tactical manuals on how to deal with steppe troops, but these manuals are focused on dealing with relatively ill-disciplined groups such as the Turks of the period or the Cumans, not a disciplined force like the Mongol tumen. (Byzantine military manuals actually said with the Turks for example to just let them raid, they'll get loaded down with loot and either go away or be easy pickings)
5) As a reflection of what I had to do in CK to bulk up the Mongol threat (yes, I used cheats to help the Mongols), they will have far more troops than they did historically...

Devin Perry - Good catch on the map, I hadn't caught that! Mehtar is likely to come away from this with plenty of good lessons for the Roman army on how to fight this new opponent. However, it remains to be seen if Thomas et al will listen to Mehtar's advice...

Athomashawk - Welcome to the AAR! Glad you've enjoyed things so far... sadly now you've joined the ranks of everyone that has to wait for the next update... :(

Llywelyn - Vladimir? Yes, I imagine in the 18th and 19th century he would be become a romantic hero to this world's Russian patriots. Ah, the ways history can be twisted. :D

RGB -
RGB said:
Long, very detailed and spot on analysis
I don't disagree with any of the points you've raised... to be honest, you know far more about the Mongols that I do. My only counter is that I am a simple story teller:D. The Mongols did commit quite a few rank amateur mistakes, one could also explain that by them arriving 30 years ahead of schedule, and thus they are 30 years behind real life perfecting their tactics! :D I did draw the inspiration of Mehtar's plan from the real Mongol defeat at Ain Jalut, but it is a valid point--Ain Jalut saw the Mongols facing a well trained Mamluke/mercenary army, the fictional Yaik saw the Mongols facing a relatively rag-tag, ill-disciplined army with thematakoi as its core.

Plushie - As you will quickly find out from my OOC asides both here and to come, my game suffered from the classic "weak Mongol" problem common in vanilla. I actually f12 evented them into receiving far more powerful forces than they did in real life, in an effort to make the threat more urgent (I won't say whether it worked or not... yet. :D). Yaik is one of my attempts to explain why even though my first army hastily assembled was smashed by a Mongol force, the Mongols did not pursue... in game, their AI evidently thought Beloozero was more important than lunging south into Romanion proper. :wacko: I think Yaik gives their decision to hold off until the next spring more... sense.

bohemian83 - First of all, I do take this as constructive criticism, so don't worry on that front. I do appreciate all comments, both of praise and those that point out things I should look into… and to be honest, I’m kind of flattered you’ve taken my writing and ideas so seriously as to historically critique them! :D

To answer the questions you posed, I'll just remind that this Byzantine army isn't that of Leo... Leo's army was far smaller, for more disciplined, and far better organized. The Byzantine Army of Rome AARisen is in many ways a victim of its success--the empire is massive, so any kind of standards on training outside of the admittedly immense Imperial Guard are impossible to enforce, and with the increasing feudalization of the Empire, idiots like Kiev can get command positions simply because it's expedient (Think the Komnenoi that lead the army at Tabriz to its doom--he earned the post not because he was any way shape qualified, but because he was a high ranking dynatoi that politically needed an army command).

The thematakoi also aren't necessarily going to have the equipment to properly face the Mongols in the way you describe... in many ways the plan Mehtar came up with was a scratch attempt at the best with what he had... a large, but cumbersome and unwieldy force. Trust me, when Thomas II and the Imperial tagmata proper show up (especially the Basilikon Toxotai, which CK is saying at this point have proper longbows :) ), you'll see a far more disciplined Roman army than at Yaik. Only problem, Ordas will be far less likely to happen if Genghis himself is on the scene with his crack Mangudai.

Kirsch27 - Part of this is me describing how long it took me in game to redeploy my Byzantion regiment from Baghdad to the north, and part of it is simply for dramatic tension. Thomas ended the Turkish War in June, but its still going to take several months to pull out tens of thousands of troops, move supplies, prepare ships, and then finally ship them to the north...

vanin - Both sides end up badly bloodied... tactically it was a Mongol victory, in the short term one can argue strategically it was a Roman victory (the Mongols had to pull back until the next spring). However, the events next spring will be the ones to tell if the sacrifices made at Yaik were worth it...

asd21593 - *Hands asd a pair of Depends.* :D

Deamon - Whoa! I knew of this movie, and had several Youtube videos favorited to take screenies from, but this is gonna be a treasure trove! Thanks for the link!

Fulcrumvale - True, the Romans have larger reserves to draw from, but then again, the last time the entire Empire mobilized was during the Third Seljuk War in the 1160s. Romanion on paper can put 700,000 people in the field... but paper armies aren't necessarily practical in the real sense without basic necessities, or the ability to move such vast numbers to where they are needed...

KlavoHunter - Definitely... stupidity by birth is the tradeoff for the "stability" of handing the dynatoi some authority to keep them quiet. The counter argument is that even by Manuel's time, the Empire had grown simply too large to rule by imperial fiat... not with all the competing pressures at hand. Feudalize, or fail, was the choice, or at least it has been in the eyes of the last few emperors...

Milites - The Rohirrim just fit the idea of a Viking on horseback so well!

AlexanderPrimus - One, you're too kind, you've made me blush, and two, I'm a perfectionist. To be honest, I wasn't happy with the battle sequence even as released...I finally posted because I was nearing neurotic on my changes, and I had a feeling if I hadn't posted something soon, virtual pitchforks would have started appearing around my computer chair... :rofl:

Nikolai - I don't sincerely try to eat up everyone's time... really I don't! :D

Exadus - Hater++? :D Yay, someone's rooting against the Romans! To be honest, it'd be a little boring if everyone was rooting for the Romans, even at moments like this!

Qorten - Thank you! You be seeing plenty more of the steppe Danes, the vast majority of their force managed to get away...

As a note, the next update is about 10% done. As a teaser to hold everyone over, I'll present to you a section of the battle music for the upcoming Battle on the Volga... ENJOY!

The Mongols did commit quite a few rank amateur mistakes, one could also explain that by them arriving 30 years ahead of schedule, and thus they are 30 years behind real life perfecting their tactics! :D

A really good point and one easy to overlook. I certainly almost did. It does put things in better perspective.

---

The music is nice but unlike last time I don't know where it is from.

Can't wait for spring!
Interesting that the Mongols weren't well prepared, for Mehtar to assemble the army at all without being caught by the Mongols is simply brilliant. But to choose the terrain and plan out tactics for the terrain is almost ludicrous. Add in the various cultures, the feudal rivalries etc. I think the best tactic the mongols could have used was to stay away all toghether and let attrition and infighting do all the hard work.
The early arrival does add in some new factors, It's unlikely that they have had sufficient time to scout out the territory ahead and have little idea of how many men Thomas can bring to battle. I also raises the question of what was happening in the east.

What about the Spanish Kingdom (Empire?) of Alexios? I realize everyone is wanting to hear of the Mongolian Invasion, but perhaps it would be nice to hear of them too! (Might even be a good thing to draw up a few maps and such during a writers-block period!) As far as I remember, last we heard of them was the Death of Thomas I!

I wonder if it is really possible for an AAR to increase its quality and superbness after every update.... but this seems to be the case with this one.
I have since the beginning of this very AAR been always exalted of this one.
It has so far been the greatest, most superb and magnificent AAR I have read on these forums. And with me soon closing 10000 posts within few months I can claim to have read a few other AARs out there. Some of them are nearly equivalent or close to this, but none of them is superior to this one.
Somehow I find it always harder and harder to praise this one more and more update by update.
This is divine nectar to my youngish eyes. May the pleasure that it to me relinquishes never end.

I have again spoken.

I wonder if it is really possible for an AAR to increase its quality and superbness after every update.... but this seems to be the case with this one. ... It has so far been the greatest, most superb and magnificent AAR I have read on these forums. ... Some of them are nearly equivalent or close to this, but none of them is superior to this one. Somehow I find it always harder and harder to praise this one more and more update by update.

I'm going to have to second these comments. Well done, BT!

RGB said:
If anything, BT probably gave the Romans too many breaks in this description, no doubt to describe game results. The trick of ambush behind the hill actually worked on the Mongols and brought the Mamlukes victory. The Mamlukes also happened to be a top-notch horse archer army AND have enough numerical advantage AND were speedy enough to cut off Kitbogha's retreat and pin him against the river AND the Mongol army had a heavy element of Georgian and Armenian allies, mostly on foot.

I just wanted to note that, at least in General_BT's story, the Byzantines have a top notch horse archer army too. Since this story lacks a Battle of Manizkert and the Emperor's tagma have an unbroken line of descent from the Maurician army, which included a core of heavy cavalry highly trained in the use of lances and bows. I'll have to look back at BT's exposition on Thomas' army to make sure, but I think the cataphracts are still there. They even used many of the same tactics that the Mongols would later use, as well as some the Mongols never had the equipment or training for.

One example would be the way Mongol armies would engage in a false retreat, where they'd move forward to harass an enemy with arrows and then fall back. Less experienced enemies (like the feudal armies the Mongols usually faced) would sometimes give chase, at which point the Mongols would turn back and envelop the enemy line. The Byzantine cataphracts used a similar tactic, except a significant number were armed with lances so they retained the flexibility to exploit any holes caused by this tactic. Basically, think ancient blitzkrieg.

Important to all this, the Byzantines not only used these tactics, they had developed counter-strategies to them. Byzantine tagmatic infantry was usually heavily armored so they'd draw into a primitive form of 'close order' formation to resist the hail of arrows from the harassing army. While they never quite developed it to the finesse the Swiss would later, they knew how to use spear formations to repel cavalry.

Now, the levy troops at this battle obviously wouldn't perform to the same high standard, but when Thomas brings his army north to face down the Mongols himself, it definitely won't be a pre-ordained battle.

BT: It definitely is difficult finding just that right balance, so the Mongols don't just overrun everything in their path, but also so they aren't immediately kicked off the map by the first steppe tribe they run into.

Now, the levy troops at this battle obviously wouldn't perform to the same high standard, but when Thomas brings his army north to face down the Mongols himself, it definitely won't be a pre-ordained battle.

I'm looking forward to the glorious cataphract charge into the Mongols who have nowhere to retreat to. So much steppe kabob.

Although it will probably take another Orda-like incompetent to get them into that situation, or some devilish piece of misfortune.

RGB - That's definitely the way the Romans would want things to turn out... however, we'll have to see if things go that way once Thomas takes charge on the Volga...

Plushie - Well, the Imperial Guard definitely has top notch horse archers and heavy horse archers. The problem is, once again, the vast bulk of the Imperial armies are thematakoi that come with all varying levels of training and equipment. The little mini-update I'm putting up below will help clarify some of the things about the thematakoi for everyone...

AlexanderPrimus - Thank you... both for your encouragement, and help with brainstorming!

Enewald - Thank you as well... there are tons of excellent AARs out there, and I've seen you posting comments in almost every one that I read, so for you to give a compliment of that magnitude is humbling, to say the least.

TC Pilot - No, remember his wimp son and grandson were overthrown by his cousin Arnaud...

Kirsch27 - Yes, the Mongols have stolen the spotlight for a while, but eventually the Spanish Empire makes a return. Thomas and Alexios will meet at least one more time...

Devin Perry - I'm basically using Mongol inexperience/overconfidence due to their early arrival to explain some of CK's weird Mongol decisions. Once Genghis himself arrives in the field (or sends some of his more experienced personal troops), things will change. Add to that, yes, Mehtar definitely took notes on the Mongol tactics at Yaik... but you can better believe Subotai, Jamuqa and Batu took notes on Roman tactics as well... and now that they know the level of what they're facing, you'd best believe both sides are going to be trying their best to scout each other all winter long...

Alright, I haven't made much progress with the next update, but to fill everyone in more on the thematakoi, I have another interim specifically devoted to the different "official" grades of thematakoi as recognized by the Imperial government. These are very broad categories, so, despite being "first rank themes" by troop equipment, Antioch and Dorostorum likely field different mixes of soldiers. The equipment of the different thematic troops depends not just on the wealth of the theme, but the care and personal wealth of the local princes and comes...

So, without further ado:

THE IMPERIAL THEMATAKOI

themearmiescopy-1.jpg

protothematakoicopy.jpg

Catepanciescopy.jpg

defterothematakoicopy.jpg

Azerikoicopy.jpg

arabakoithemacopy.jpg

berberatakoicopy.jpg

scythikoicopy.jpg

orosokoicopy.jpg

latinikoicopy.jpg

italikoicopy.jpg

Well, if every region could be counted at for trouble-free recruitment, you'd have a truly well-balanced and unstoppable army. It'd also be a logistically unsupportable army :D

I love the pictures but the gold lettering is hard to read.

Enewald - Funny you should ask that... one of my interims that's been sitting on the backburner deals with the populations of the "Great Cities" of the Empire, with photoshopped pics of each. However, I have a feeling for now people would rather I get back to work on the next Mongol update, so I'll leave you with these rough numbers for 1210 or so for cities larger than about 50,000:

Constantinople - 500,000+ (Imperial Capital)

Alexandria - ~200,000 (Southern Imperial Residence)

Antioch - ~130,000

Naples - ~100,000 (Western Imperial Residence)

Baghdad (after capture) - ~90,000

Damascus - ~85,000 (Eastern Imperial Residence)

Thessalonica - ~80,000

Nikaea - ~75,000

Palmyra - ~65,000

New Carthage-Tunis - ~65,000

Jerusalem - ~60,000

Cairo - ~60,000

Edessa - ~50,000

Nicomedia - ~50,000

Rome - ~50,000

Palermo -~50,000

That should give you some idea... and these are just guesstimates. I'll have better stuff up once I have the actual interim finished.

Servius Magnus - This summer I actually plan on taking some time off to do serious writing just to see if I have what it takes to get some short stories published, at least...

RGB - "Every region," and "trouble free" are the two catches in that statement lol

Next update is about 20% done... it was going to be done sooner, but I'm debating adding a Mongol perspective... we'll see how it turns out!

Thank you for an AAR so good that Webster's working on a new adjective to describe how incredibly engaging this tale is.

Also, New Carthage is redundant. I'd really love to see Tunis slowly move back to the Punic ruins of the original site. You can call it Qart Hadasht, or New City in Punic. This is why New Carthage is redundant- you're literally saying New New Carthage. Not to mention there is already a Carthago Novo- Cartagena.

Anyways, go Rome. All you mongol lovers are seditious, treasonous barbarians, lower than Odoacer or Boudica or a slave! Go Romanion! Kill all Mongols. Or, leave Russia and Catholic Europe to burn as you escape unscathed.