• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
since i upgraded to 5.1 i cant connect to paradox online so cant get any achievements, on the game it says unable to connect because its not updated or i am using mods, im not.

and another question when using spies. does the percentage for example "inflitrate spy ring 59%"

does that mean 59% it will work, or %59 i will get caught its not very clear.

Last edited:
since i upgraded to 5.1 i cant connect to paradox online so cant get any achievements, on the game it says unable to connect because its not updated or i am using mods, im not.

and another question when using spies. does the percentage for example "inflitrate spy ring 59%"

does that mean 59% it will work, or %59 i will get caught its not very clear.
Percentage that it will work. The probability of getting caught is shown just before you confirm the spy action, described accordingly.

What are the pros and cons of awarding territory to your allies? I've just fought Mali for about the eighth time (as England) and over the course of our conflicts I have taken Wolof and Cayor for myself (and got them to revoke cores on a few provinces). I have made them release nations. I have taken all their gold. I have slaughtered them time and again and yet they keep getting their spies caught and giving me CBs. Anyway, this last time, I was joined by my ally, Tunisia. I can give Tunisia the two provinces they occupied, but it'll cost me 8 infamy. Is it worth it to take the infamy hit to cripple Mali and bolster a loyal ally?

Also, while I think on, what are the factors involved in another nation giving you war subsidies? I just got a very nice 40 ducats a month for two years from Russia while I was blockading the French and it helped me reduce my inflation to 0.1 and gave me a healthy profit at the end of the war, which I spent on new buildings. Is it coz Russia sees France as a challenge and wants to help me cripple it for a few years?

If i give war subsidies to the OE would they become more aggressive? I make 1k annually so money is not a problem. I just want to take the land back from them via holy war.

Also, while I think on, what are the factors involved in another nation giving you war subsidies? I just got a very nice 40 ducats a month for two years from Russia while I was blockading the French and it helped me reduce my inflation to 0.1 and gave me a healthy profit at the end of the war, which I spent on new buildings. Is it coz Russia sees France as a challenge and wants to help me cripple it for a few years?

If a nation wants to harm another nation or feels threatened by another nation, but they aren't currently at war with them, you will likely get subsidies when fighting against that nation if it appears you have a chance of victory.

What are the pros and cons of awarding territory to your allies? I've just fought Mali for about the eighth time (as England) and over the course of our conflicts I have taken Wolof and Cayor for myself (and got them to revoke cores on a few provinces). I have made them release nations. I have taken all their gold. I have slaughtered them time and again and yet they keep getting their spies caught and giving me CBs. Anyway, this last time, I was joined by my ally, Tunisia. I can give Tunisia the two provinces they occupied, but it'll cost me 8 infamy. Is it worth it to take the infamy hit to cripple Mali and bolster a loyal ally?

Assuming Tunisia is about its vanilla size, then it probably won't help them at all since the land will be quite a distance away. However, there aren't really any cons except the infamy (Though you should have a CB on the Mali as England, why are you biting 8 infamy?)

If i give war subsidies to the OE would they become more aggressive? I make 1k annually so money is not a problem. I just want to take the land back from them via holy war.

Giving war subsidies strengthens them, which in turn would make them more aggressive as they see themselves more powerful than their neighbors. However, it will be almost inconsequential on Low aggressiveness, and not enough unless they were already just about to declare war on Normal aggressiveness.

Do naval blockades count as hostilities for the Forced White Peace mechanics? For example, can I blockade a country for 50 years without any other action and not trigger a forced white peace?

Do naval blockades count as hostilities for the Forced White Peace mechanics? For example, can I blockade a country for 50 years without any other action and not trigger a forced white peace?

No; only battles and sieges count.

Enter your capital in the empire before inheriting, leave with the provinces before you get the modifier, or get a core on the province. Alternatively, release them as a vassal and re-PU / annex them :p

Is there some form of trigger for the "Comet sighted" event? I went 200 years without ever getting that event.... and the minute I decide to Westernize, I get three within 10 years.

If a nation wants to harm another nation or feels threatened by another nation, but they aren't currently at war with them, you will likely get subsidies when fighting against that nation if it appears you have a chance of victory.

Assuming Tunisia is about its vanilla size, then it probably won't help them at all since the land will be quite a distance away. However, there aren't really any cons except the infamy (Though you should have a CB on the Mali as England, why are you biting 8 infamy?)

Giving war subsidies strengthens them, which in turn would make them more aggressive as they see themselves more powerful than their neighbors. However, it will be almost inconsequential on Low aggressiveness, and not enough unless they were already just about to declare war on Normal aggressiveness.

Cheers, mate. I hadn't figured in the distance between Tunisia and the provinces I was going to donate to them. I just got Mali to release another nation instead.

Another quick one: what happens to your slave-trading provinces if you take the Aboilition of Slavery decision? Do they start trading in ivory/grain/gold etc instead?

I'm all for freeing the slaves, but those provinces bring in quite a few ducats....

Is there some form of trigger for the "Comet sighted" event? I went 200 years without ever getting that event.... and the minute I decide to Westernize, I get three within 10 years.
Yes (the event is flagged is_triggered_only), but only Paradox know what it is (the trigger field in the event description is empty).

Another quick one: what happens to your slave-trading provinces if you take the Aboilition of Slavery decision? Do they start trading in ivory/grain/gold etc instead?

I'm all for freeing the slaves, but those provinces bring in quite a few ducats....

It will get a new trade good; I think it's random, but I can't swear to that.

Yes, it's random according to the region it is in. But in late-game slaves should be a very valuable commodity. Very valuable.
Also, Trading in Slaves grants you an additional +25% tariffs.

If you have a natural scientist advisor you are MUCH less likely to get the event.