• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just reading EU3 wiki and I don't understand something.

This is a penalty adjusted for the size of your country (in provinces). The piecewise layout above indicates its somewhat unexpected nature; basically, the first two provinces add 20%, and every province after that (except province #6, which counts for double for some reason) is 10% until you reach 8 provinces--at which point you have a 100% penalty (that is, your costs are double that of a one-province nation). Any subsequent provinces will add 2.5% to this modifier per province.

So I receive 10% penalty per province until I reach 8 provinces and 2.5% penalty for 9, 10 etc.?

So if WE from battles increase in inverse proportion to your manpower pool, does this mean that the National Conscripts NI essentially cuts your WE gain by 33%? Because although the AI picks it all the time I never feel the need to, as expansionist nations.

What's the best order to "fix" sliders in? Usually I'll save innovation until after the reformation so I can do some converting, but when it comes to Centralization, Free subjects, maxing either mercantilism or free trade, etc. I'm not sure which to hit first.

I will usually centralize till the limit for my government type, and then move towards free subjects, quality and some defensiveness alternately. Unless I'm going free trade I usually leave the merc/FT slider till I'm done with the rest of the sliders. But that's me.

What exactly are the penalties for going beyond the slider limit for your government type? I've passed it before and hadn't really noticed anything obvious.

Also, I've had great success with starting as little trading nations before, but I tried a game as Brandenburg today and I just fell terribly behind in tech, and every war I got in I was just demolished in. Even with all the little allies and vassals I made in the HRE, if I declared war on another nation similar in strength to my own, they'd just crush my main armies and then one by one go around seizing all of my little vassals until I have to buy my way out of the war. What's going on here? Even when I had comparable generals and had terrain advantages and stuff, it seemed like there was just no winning battles for me, it was really frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping up as a landlocked nation, being successful in battles and winning wars? I did have the +1 morale idea, and I recently grabbed battlefield commissions. actually one of the problems with having so much morale was that an enemy army came along with a 6 shock general and literally destroyed an entire 20 stack of mine before they'd run away.

I think it's +1 national RR per move beyond the limit. So if your provinces have low RR to begin with you won't notice it. I just don't go past the slider limit for RP reasons.

I'm also playing a Brandenburg game, didn't have this problem early on possibly because I always kept a 5-6 star commandant (the discipline advisor) on the payroll. Maybe that will help?

Markets closed

In my current game I've been doing some aggressive trading. While actively exploring and searching for new markets, I soon found that most had closed me out (CoT icon is grey and the message says this market is closed to your merchants). I have monopolies in five CoT's already (possibly six now that I think about it). Is there a limit to how many markets you can have a presence in? Or does this just mean that I should seek a diplomatic (or even a war) solution with these nations. I know for a fact that they didn't issue an embargo.

What exactly are the penalties for going beyond the slider limit for your government type? I've passed it before and hadn't really noticed anything obvious.

Also, I've had great success with starting as little trading nations before, but I tried a game as Brandenburg today and I just fell terribly behind in tech, and every war I got in I was just demolished in. Even with all the little allies and vassals I made in the HRE, if I declared war on another nation similar in strength to my own, they'd just crush my main armies and then one by one go around seizing all of my little vassals until I have to buy my way out of the war. What's going on here? Even when I had comparable generals and had terrain advantages and stuff, it seemed like there was just no winning battles for me, it was really frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping up as a landlocked nation, being successful in battles and winning wars? I did have the +1 morale idea, and I recently grabbed battlefield commissions. actually one of the problems with having so much morale was that an enemy army came along with a 6 shock general and literally destroyed an entire 20 stack of mine before they'd run away.

War is really simple. There are three goals you must always remember.

Number one is to have a bigger army by 4 units (or more if beat up) then your opponent. This gives you 4 more attacks per phase where you deal damage but take none.

The second key is terrain. Especially early on terrain is a hugh modifier. Even the -1 for water means alot. Plan your attacks and defend in foavorable terrain.

Last is the general. You mentioned a 6 shock general against you. That means if everything else is the same and your general is 0 shock he only has to roll a 3 (1 to 9 dice roll) to not even take any damage during the shock phase. For fairly evenly matched armies a general with 6 shock (early on) will deal tons of damage while taking little. Your only hope is to win the fight based on morale losses and then keep hitting him with troops till that army eventualy gets eliminated.

In my current game I've been doing some aggressive trading. While actively exploring and searching for new markets, I soon found that most had closed me out (CoT icon is grey and the message says this market is closed to your merchants). I have monopolies in five CoT's already (possibly six now that I think about it). Is there a limit to how many markets you can have a presence in? Or does this just mean that I should seek a diplomatic (or even a war) solution with these nations. I know for a fact that they didn't issue an embargo.

You need to increase relations to +50, then there will be an option called 'Open Market'.

Would giving war subsidies to the Ottoman Empire encourage them to take over Hungary sooner? I need them to take as much christian land as possible so that i can take it back from them later with the holy war casus belli. If giving them money works how much should i give?

What are the benefits of being in a trade league?

Increased compete cahnce and also you get these events that give a province a slight bump in production while you remain in a trade league.

Also, your merchants will not get "bumped" by other league members' merchants, at any CoT, unless that CoT has nobody but members of the same trade league as you.

You get the same compete chance as the league leader. It's a very useful way for a mercantilistic power to still trade, though less useful since they added that your own infamy does count in a patch. (before you could use it to trade with high infamy).

You get the same compete chance as the league leader. It's a very useful way for a mercantilistic power to still trade, though less useful since they added that your own infamy does count in a patch. (before you could use it to trade with high infamy).

I'm glad they changed it after I remembered your ridiculous abuse of the mechanism as the Mughals in AIIC.

As an additional aside, Novgorod has the best sliders for trading (they start towards Free Trade, all the others start toward Mercantilism. Novgorod also starts toward Plutocracy if I'm not mistaken, so grabbing NTP as your NI with Novgorod as your league leader should help a lot)