• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Righto! So first off... CTDs suck! The number of times they ruined an amazing position in my EU2 games was frustrating to say the least, and I'm disappointed that they've continued to foil otherwise successful plans in EU3 (I haven't been able to play much EU3 yet, what with work and church commitments). I know and feel your pain at having to relive that period without all the awesome bonuses. Nevertheless, well done at having made the progress anyway!

Those North African provinces are good progress towards our Med Empire goal, and I don't think those poor ones should make a massive difference on the cultural side of things. If possible, though, I would prefer to finish off Morea early to give the Greek provinces the best chance they can have to core and gain cultural acceptance.

It looks like our naval push was a successful strategy - Mediterranean naval domincance is ours! Glad to see it too, since as a Med Empire that sea is our paddling pool.

You mentioned that you were close to being over the army forcelimit - how close are you with that 5* advisor?

The PRO provinces are certainly making a strong case for their religion, and REF is taking its time. Nevertheless, I think that holding off on a decision until absolutely necessary would be beneficial, so that the decision is as informed as possible.

Big ouch on that CTD.

However, great work on taking down the OE and North Africa! This is exactly what we need to be doing right now. Perhaps we can later look into keeping the French areas down in size and strength, but we needed this expansion while the opportunity was there.

It looks like REF is out and PRO is the way to go. I'd recommend letting the events do the conversion for you for now, and then waiting for that good theocracy advisor to pop up before switching.

Chief Ragusa:
The Otts usually (not always) grenade by AI, and usually around 1550-1600, in my games anyways. Unless of course they are lucky, then who knows. I've seen them make Ireland... (?!?) REF does pop a bit after PRO, and PRO fired a little early. But I am secretly hoping REF pops in and or close by us so I can adopt it. We shall see I suppose. And my men do deserve a beer. I shall buy them all one. Anybody got a quarter...?

Sir Enewald: The Knight of Han:
I like my Diplomat. He has room for improvement, but he'll do given the situation. I will be, well, I guess I'll just do a quick update and you'll see. Though I don't vassalize wrong religion, and the call is to OWN the Med. So I am thinking you can guess the appropriate action. ;)

Sir blsteen: The Knight of the Western East:
I thank you kind Sir. :cool: Though awesome may be a touch of an overstatement... But who am I to argue...? :D I hope lunch went OK and the little guy liked what you made him. :)

Sir draik: The AluminIum Knight of SA:
Part I: Severely disproportional, but that's what makes it special...
Part II: I thank you Sir. In the end it was only a slight difference. The biggest was in the advisors and a culture swap in a province. (It was a wealthy province though...) I agree that Morea needs to get put under the thumb ASAP. The problem is she's allied with Austria and Poland, and has no other attachments. I have to be ready for it. The Navy has served us well, and is still being actively added too. I figure I'd like to have GB's size, and have aggressively started swapping Lights into patrols and pulling Galleys into fleets for med duty and blockades. Army FL are up quite a bit. The advisor is very under rated, but is only useful in this type of situation. He's also not as effective as a MoM or a tech guy, which the AI will take over him at any time they can. But he does help me enough right now. A ducat a month in my pocket NET for an army over normal FL is OK with me. See below for the PRO lowdown...;)

Sir Ahriman: The Lutheran Knight:
Not answer the call...? And not have the chance to lose to me again...? Nah. ;) It would have sucked, but that's why I have the power of DoW. Peace with the Algerians is up next, so not long to wait. I'll have to go back and look at the maps to see if REF has popped yet. I don't believe so, but I have been wrong before... I'm making a note to check for Sweden's numbers...

Sir Malurous: The Knight of Hell-sinkie:
(Hand flourish and bow), I thank you Sir. I like the thought of "claiming a Religion"...:D And as I've said, I am actively stalling... :rolleyes:

Sir Beamed: The Knight of Sutherland:
"And as I've said, I am actively stalling...."
I want to see how having all the baggage effects the income, but I don't see it being a big enough boat anchor...

Sir OrangeYoshi: The Eternal Knight:
Totally agree on the expansion, and the direction. Only some minor clean up now. As for PRO: "And as I've said, I am actively stalling...." Don't be hatin'...

I'm doing a quick update for the rest of this run, as the weekend was a busy one, thanks to the wife and her "get togethers" with people only she really knows. Nothing I like more than to sit in a corner and listen to people talk of "remember this" things and gossip about other people I don't know for six and half hours. I did get to do some monster Wii bowling though... :cool:

Update in 33...32...31...

Chapter 36: The Winds of Change...​

The picture says it all:

PR_810.jpg

Our current situation, that is...

A quick double check on the curia for quality control purposes...:

PR_811.jpg

Well, the control part anyways...

After this, it's back into the fray...:

PR_812.jpg

Tunisia is done.

No Guyenne. Not yet.

Pirates.

A level two Navigator...

I can feel the love.

I can also share "the love"...:

PR_813.jpg

A mere 4 days later and Cyrenaica shares the same fate.

More Pirates, with a hint of Tripoli as a few galleys are misplaced from taken provinces.

A revolt or two.

The Tripolise Navy is no more.

Sweden... Oh Sweden... Bankruptcy be thy name.

And alas, another OPM. My doing this time...
Albania rises from the ashes to separate itself from dear Hungary.

Total brain fade on my part.
I'll need to keep an ear open for access and what not.
Still, I'm in no hurry to do anything there.
Let it fall apart into even more little pieces...

Back to something a little better news wise...

PR_814.jpg

One to go.

The Army is so happy that it celebrates...:

PR_815.jpg

It's officially an epidemic...
Word in the ranks is "Don't get promoted...!"

This is the end, my friend...:

PR_816.jpg

Now for the peace deal fun...

And I would be remiss if I didn't inform you that Sweden celebrated by going Bankrupt.

Temples complete in Antalya, Konya and Angora.

I'm almost to Government Tech Level 19.
I like Government Level 19.
Almost as much as I like Government Cheese.
Nice things happen for us at Government 19.
And it isn't just a better grade of Cheddar either...

Also jumping a level is Naval, now at 14.

As I said, we're at the baggage claim, so the first cases we pick up are from Tripoli...

PR_817.jpg

I took her peace deal because they're broke. They found 2 ducats I wouldn't get otherwise. :D

I'm actually holding off making peace so I don't add to the tech costs or damage EOY taxes with these less than respectable pieces of real estate.

We get a few Rebels popping that require attention, so we go and play around with them for awhile.

Another 1 star Army Organizer pops. Yippee...!

And then it's election time...
The 8 year cycle always seems to take me by surprise.
Soon it will be 4, and I can be surprised twice as much.
Mr. Sforza was OK, but not particularly exemplary, so we opt for the Diplomatic Candidate in the hopes of spiking our BB reduction efforts.

We end up with:

PR_818.jpg

He's a little better, with a decent ADM rating for some WE help too.
It's a decent trade off Me thinks...

What really pops is his general stats.
For a MIL 4 he pops as a 2/4/5/0. Not bad at all...

The fact he gives me the point lost with the Diplomat in the BB reduction category is gravy... :)

Guyenne and Castille bug for access again.
Sweden goes Bankrupt again. Epic failure. Truly Epic.
I get a 2 star sheriff... No thanks.
A two star Navigator... No thanks.

And then...:

PR_819.jpg

Guess what we're doing right after the slider move...
It's only a single STAB hit, gives us 4 year elections and a TE boost of 10%.
So much better than our current useless helpers.

Tunisia is next in the peace parade...

PR_820.jpg

Followed quickly by Algiers...:

PR_821.jpg

And once again Milan is at peace...
Not to mention that now we also have some nice OPM's that can be absorbed at discount rates.
Or they get eaten up by some other nation.
That will serve to get us a foot in the door with them, which is fine.
Also being surrounded, we have a small boost to the chance of getting a core event, which would be sweet indeed...

Our total cost for all that...:

PR_822.jpg

Next to nothing BB wise.

After a 2 star Navigator and a 1 star Statesmen pay us a visit, we actually get a decent event...:

PR_823.jpg

Oh yes indeed...

That's followed by another actually nice event...:

PR_824.jpg

Oh yes PLEASE. Anything to raise some base tax over here.

Those two events go a little ways towards repairing some of the CTD damage, wouldn't you say...?

Sweden celebrates by going bankrupt... :rofl:

Gov Tech 20 is 15 years ahead of schedule.
I guess it's time to divert some funds, as it's scheduled to be completed in 4 years...!!!

I get the local fortification guy found event too.
I allow Treviso to get the 50% bonus to defensiveness.

Level 2 forts are still being built, as is other infrastructure.

Wurzburg joins Sweden in Bankruptcy...
As does Tripoli.

Workshops are finished in all the new provinces.
That 400d + 100d went a long way in helping to get that stuff done...

As we near the end of the session...:

PR_825.jpg

Nice. Full core, right religion.
That province makes good money and was well worth it.

Ah well... The news can't all be good...:

PR_826.jpg

Goodbye nice Sheriff. Say high to Robin of Loxley for me...

I pop a 4 star Alderman in just for the time being. Maybe I'll get some one decent later on.

Another province goes PRO...:

PR_827.jpg

That's 7 to zip.

I am scanning the globe, to bring you the constant Variety of Reformed...
But as yet I get only vacant stares and confused provinces...
We'll hold for now. Until I know REF has no shot, I will hold.

The Alderman Event gives a PE and TE bonus of 2% for awhile.
Always handy, and enough for a good hand of pocket change.

Sweden yada yada yada...

2 star Privateer yada yada yada...

Poland attempts to steal the Holy See...
I wait a bit and steal it back.

Level two forts and workshops...

The big news of the day...:

PR_828.jpg

The time has come to settle the Italian debate for ever and ever amen.

The rest of the year is rebels and Sweden and Sinope not being Sunni anymore.

In the end, we arrive at the turning point of Milan.
The time when the big questions must be decided.

The slider move is upon us.
The change to Administrative Republic is upon us.
Protestant leads 7 to nil.
Do we continue waiting for Reformed...? (to which I say yes...)
Italy. Ah Italy. What say ye and we...?

I'll post some State of the Republic pics later on to let everyone know what's what.

Till then...

T

Just to get in before the SotR: REMAIN MILAN!

It would be a travesty to abandon our proud purple-ish Milanese heritage! Not to mention the fact that those breakfast specials for the Knightly Order are for Milan, not the 'Italy' you speak of...

As to PRO or REF, I agree with you, wait and see.

And administrative republic is sounding good. :)

He's a little better, with a decent ADM rating for some WE help too.
It's a decent trade off Me thinks...

What really pops is his general stats.
For a MIL 4 he pops as a 2/4/5/0. Not bad at all...

Huh? :confused: This description doesn't really agree with the screenshot showing a new ADM 3/7/9 Prince?

The slider move is upon us.
The change to Administrative Republic is upon us.
Protestant leads 7 to nil.
Do we continue waiting for Reformed...? (to which I say yes...)
Italy. Ah Italy. What say ye and we...?

Administrative Republic, definitely. Remain Milan. As I already proposed, go PRO due to the head start unless REF pops in your territory, in which case go REF. So anyway, keep waiting. As for the slider move, I'll wait for the SotR to see where they are to begin with.

EDIT: If I had to guess, centralization is probably the way to go. You should have room for it again as Administrative Republic loosens the policy restriction by 2 compared to Noble Republic.

Indeed, the Aluminium one speaks well of the breakfast specials and the resulting impact on the Order. Long live Milan or some other nation state but not Italia! And speaking of Milan, they doth cut a nice swath throughoust the barbary...does that rhyme with "shrimp on the barbie"? Anyways, onto glory! And WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIi!

Last edited:
Good work securing more of the north african coast. I imagine those OPM's won't last very long. The only danger is that some other christian nation will grab them.

What was the voting on forming Italy? I was for it by the way. Perhaps you could mod the colour so we remain purple to satisfy the purple obsessive knights.

State of the Republic Address for 1528​

First, a correction...
It is needed because apparently I don't know how to read.
Actually I looked in the wrong spot.
Sir Malurous is correct concerning our new leader.
His stats are 3/7/9.
I looked at the stars thinking the game had updated the graphic.
If I head read my own fine print, I'd see that I was looking upon the stats of one very disgruntled and very angry Mr. Sforza...
Who is now off in the corner laughing hysterically at me...
His General stats are correct...
Which looking at the MIL 9 he has, they should be.

I am also positive it is revenge for mentioning I played bowling on the Wii over the weekend, and my computer got jealous and moved the picture so I didn't see it correctly.
Man will it hate me now, because I just got Tiger Woods Golf 10, and it's phenomenal...

I apologize for my temporary blindness, but am resting confidently in the fact my mind is still as strong and as porous as ever...

Enough about me and my Wii.

The SoftR Address is pretty basic this time around because we have pretty much hit the decision wall.
All of this has been discussed at length, however...
Now we actually have to make some decisions.

Before I get into it, let's give you some pretty pictures...

The Official Milanese Country Map...:

PR_829.jpg

PR_830.jpg

Plans for the near future involve creating Rebels on the Bulgarian side of the Ottoman Empire to encourage defection.
Leaving the OTTs an OPM will allow for annexing them and getting it over with.
With 6 provinces bordering, the odds are better for a possible core event.
If we can swing that, it would be glorious indeed.
Even without it the BB will be minimal, as we are well ahead of our 1650 deadline for the BB discount.

Naples will be Diplo Annexed if possible...

Sardinia and Corsica will have to wait.
I prefer to take them as part of a larger whole, as with the rest of the Islands.

Aragon, Granada and Castille are a mess right now.
I'd like to see them settle down a little, though it seems Castille is hell bent on picking a fight.

The Current Religious Census by Province...:

PR_831.jpg

The Good news, depending on which you're rooting for...
We only have 6 (SIX) PROtestant provinces.
It appears I can't keep a count either.
The map don't lie, so it's a boon for the REFormed side.
UNLESS there's an Island hiding I can't see on the map.
I didn't do a detailed sweep of every province after saving to verify...

The Bad news...? No REFormed yet.

The Diplomatic Situation...:

PR_832.jpg

Both Greek and Turkish have a head start on cores, and I will concentrate all money producing buildings there first in an effort to boost what I can.

A Little Shot of Culture...:

PR_833.jpg

We may be able to get some movement in the Turkish group regardless. There's enough of them left to possibly spike them a little.

The Current Income Stats...:

PR_834.jpg

We're rocking along pretty well, though we just took a bunch of boat anchors on, which won't effect this alot, but will impede tech progress some.

Speaking of Tech...

The Current Tech Levels of Milan...:

PR_835.jpg

This one happens to have most of the other heavy hitters.
France has made quite a comeback, and Castille remains close enough.
Burgundy was way out in front for awhile, but has quieted down.
Holland is rocking as usual, and Great Britain is doing very well considering the colony load she's carrying.

Our only sore spot is Naval, sacrificed to the gods of Gov 19 so we can get out of Noble Republic ASAP.

Our Current Armed Forces Statistics...

The Army...:

PR_836.jpg

I marvel at Ming. A short time ago he had more than me in the field. Whatever war he's in, it's a big one. I wonder if he's winning...

The GH also is down many men, no doubt to Rebels and losing of Provinces.

Mighty Castille and France both should know at this time I am not a good idea at all...

Just for informational purposes only, and not as an indication of intent... But...:
Poland - 21418, down because of war.
Bohemia - 20,000.
Grenada - 15,000.
Austria - 14,000...

I think I can stop worrying about the Morea alliance situation.

I just need to find a way to DoW without huge hits to STAB or BB.
The Austrian core only happens AFTER I take Karnten, so I don't have it yet.
I can look Thuringia's way and see what's what up there.
Or I can see if Morea happens to be one of the 6 countries I actually have a chance of completing a successful spy mission in.
Then I can Fab Claims and take a shot.

Any way you slice it, the time for Morea is now.
Somehow, some way, while Poland is busy losing men somewhere else.

Our Mighty Milanese Navy...:

PR_837.jpg

I am going to phase out Galleys in favor of Big and Light ships.
Even in the Med, the Galley's days are limited.
Though I always keep a few in any fleet around the Sea, as they have good Shock numbers and are likely to be targeted before anything else.
Light ships are in every fleet for the same reason.

And do you see Persia...?
And Vij-alphabet...?
Alot of big ships for those boys to have.
Looks like a big Navy will be needed for any Eastward expansion.

A Piece of Pie...:

PR_838.jpg

Alot of interesting stuff on the old pie chart this time around.

First, the number of wool, grain and fish provinces we now have.
All those poor additions to the state. Not a bad thing the way they balance now, but not as good as they could be.

The cultures are interesting too.
Greek is just shy of accepted Bavarian.
If we can just spike the income a little...

Also note the big time influx of non-core.
Good thing we have a few wealthy in with all those new poor provinces.

I am going to have to convert some Orthodox provinces to help the Greek cause, and to enable us to hold the religious decision off.
We can't have over 25%-30% of our lands be wrong religion...

The CoT Report...:

PR_839.jpg

So far so good here. The CoTs are valuable, but not too valuable.
This discourages AI splits so the markets don't get too watered down.
Venezia does need a little split off though. Not much, but.
If I did happen to head North, a CoT on the Northern coast would be just the thing...

The World According to Game...:

PR_840.jpg

Ming is getting a little smaller, and the GH got cut in half...
Portugal had two colonies in the North East, up in Canadian territory.
Those are gone and are now occupied by GB.
Castille has started to colonize South America.
It's amazing to me that GB is doing as well as it is tech wise, as most of the provinces he has outside the mainland are junk for tax base.
The African ones iffy on trade goods too.
He does have quite a few nice fur colonies in North America though, and I'm sure they'll make him a bundle.

The Milanese Empire According to the Game:

PR_841.jpg

Not so far to go for the Med portion of our program...

As for the decisions:

So far, the vote is against Italy from the active participants.
So is jumping the gun on Reformed.

I'm inclined to agree with both, at least for now.

As for the slider move, centralization is OK, but I'm thinking with things as they are, a move to Serfdom to help with the culture aspect may be in order.

We will be changing Governments.
Noble Republic's only value to me is the fact it's a Republic.
The minor assist for wrong religion rebellions is minimal in my book, and can be achieved with an NI if need be.

Tactical/Strategic:

Get Morea onboard ASAP, before Poland can recover to minimize enemy forces.
Convert any Greek provinces to Catholic if needed ASAP.
Build any improvement you can to encourage money production in any Greek province.
That may mean forgoing other construction to place a manufactory or two...

Expansion may slide a bit until the Morea and Greek situations settle.

I'll answer the previous responses next post...

The floor is now open for debate...

(...I think it's tile...)

T

Last edited:
Note: The Official Milanese Position on the Major Game Decisions are at the End of this Post.

Just to get in before the SotR: REMAIN MILAN!

It would be a travesty to abandon our proud purple-ish Milanese heritage! Not to mention the fact that those breakfast specials for the Knightly Order are for Milan, not the 'Italy' you speak of...

As to PRO or REF, I agree with you, wait and see.

And administrative republic is sounding good. :)

So far, this is my inclination. I have wanted to remain Milan from the beginning, but it's still something I can be convinced of changing. I am going to wait on the PRO/REF choice until REF pops at least. I'd like to see if it spreads as fast as it normally does. If so, we could have a 6-6 tie pretty quickly. And anything other than Noble Republic is good, as Republics go...

Huh? :confused: This description doesn't really agree with the screenshot showing a new ADM 3/7/9 Prince?

"Repaired"... With profuse apologies. You are correct.

Administrative Republic, definitely. Remain Milan. As I already proposed, go PRO due to the head start unless REF pops in your territory, in which case go REF. So anyway, keep waiting. As for the slider move, I'll wait for the SotR to see where they are to begin with.

EDIT: If I had to guess, centralization is probably the way to go. You should have room for it again as Administrative Republic loosens the policy restriction by 2 compared to Noble Republic.

ADM REP does let us go a ways down Central, but I never worry about that anyways. I run -3 or -4 no matter what Government I have. It's just RR. So you fight a few more REBS. There's always ways to help that too.

I really like the idea of "claiming" Reformed as THE Milanese Religion, and then enforcing it upon the world. :cool: I always wanted to be MRE...

Indeed, the Aluminium one speaks well of the breakfast specials and the resulting impact on the Order. Long live Milan or some other nation state but not Italia! And speaking of Milan, they doth cut a nice swath throughoust the barbary...does that rhyme with "shrimp on the barbie"? Anyways, onto glory! And WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIi!

I never want to lose that discount. Feeding you guys is expensive...

Which reminds me, any of you show up around here in real life, Breakfast is on me. Meaning I'll pay for it, not wear it for you... :p
Art thou lookingeth foreth a newer careereth as a Rapparist...?
And Wii indeed. I RIKE IT...!!!

Good work securing more of the north african coast. I imagine those OPM's won't last very long. The only danger is that some other christian nation will grab them.

What was the voting on forming Italy? I was for it by the way. Perhaps you could mod the colour so we remain purple to satisfy the purple obsessive knights.

I don't see that as a danger, but as an opportunity. I have to have some way to get into war with them... :rolleyes: Italy voting has historically been split down the middle. As people have come and gone, it seems that was the one thing they all wanted to decide. As of now, the people that seem most active to me are leaning Milan as opposed to Italy.

I suppose it would be a good time to give the Official Milanese Position on the idea...

One...
It's not the Purple.
Well OK, it IS the Purple.
Purple is Royal.
Italia is Puke Green.
Nothing Royal about Puke Green.
Now we could stay Purple just to appease the eye sockets...
But you have to face the reality that Italy is White, Red and Green.
Not Purple.

Two...
Handicaps.
No, I'm not saying Italia is Handicapped.
That's Blue, and we all know who the BBB is.
I'm talking Game Handicaps.
Becoming Italy grants certain "benefits".
Now they aren't going to put a man on the moon or anything...
But they are helpers, and I don't want extra helpers.

Three...
Everybody forms Italy.
Or Germany, or Great Britain, or Russia or The Prussians or whatever.
A world controlled by one tiny little Milan though...
I had the same idea when I did Aquileia.
The underdog. The little country that could.
And few really stick to the guns. They form Italy.
It's been done, alot more than Milan has been done.

Four...
That only matters because it's a Last HuRRAh. A last play with 3.2.
From here, it's HT³ and never look back.
So I want something different.
Something unique.
That says Milan.
Or another name for Milan with a different Flag.
But then it's still just Milan, so why not embrace it...?

So there you have it. My reasons for Milan vs Italia.

It's also the rationale behind going REFormed instead of PRO.
Everybody goes PRO. I usually go PRO. REF would be different.
Who goes REFormed...?

Also the reason for going Serfdom.
It's not the norm. It makes life a little harder.
We can always go back if we have too...
And as Sir Beamed pointed out, it actually helps with culture, making it an asset in a backwards kind of way.

In the end, we've all seen and done the normal.

We've all followed the supposed intelligent, smart, expansionist, take over the world, kill all the markets, make a ton o' cash, settle the new world kind of game.

Who's ever done a city state controlling the med, mercantile and religious control freak without any new world colonies yet kicked Ming's ass empire...?

That's what I'm after.

A memorable game that was full of the unexpected, the not usually seen, a great end game and a whole bunch of involvement from all over the board.

So far we have alot of that. Unexpected DoWs, feisty AI kicking butt.
Odd colonizing patterns. Great Britain forming so early.
Huge countries forming East. Austria twiddling it's thumbs.
Sweden's EPIC bankruptcy fail.
Above all, it's been Interesting.

If all of you want to see a run of the mill PRO go conquer the world and settle all the new world kind of game, I'll play it.
It's cool with me... I'm playing.

I just think maybe the last game should be better than that...
But hey, as I have so ably proven up until now...

I can be wrong... :D

T

I was struck by something as I reviewed the SoTR, what happened to Guyenne's territory in Hungary? They seem to be short a province:D, did it defect back to Hungary or to the white ones? And is it time to start the drive to the Red Sea? And as for serfdom, I myself rarely play games that I don't maximize the free subjects so it would be something different to view. But I agree that decision time is upon us(ie you). Oh and crush Morea and Austria! Whilst the crushing is good.
Oh and I'm sure Tiger Woods is phenomenal with his abilities to have a wife and still ride the hoe train:D but you meant the game... or did you?

State of the Republic Address for 1527​
Plans for the near future involve creating Rebels on the Bulgarian side of the Ottoman Empire to encourage defection.
Leaving the OTTs an OPM will allow for annexing them and getting it over with.
The quicker way would be to take Anatolia ASAP and then sponsor patriot rebels in Burgas. The AI rarely adopts a culture switch, even if its only province is of a different culture.
The Current Religious Census by Province...:
The Good news, depending on which you're rooting for...
We only have 6 (SIX) PROtestant provinces.
It appears I can't keep a count either.
The map don't lie, so it's a boon for the REFormed side.
UNLESS there's an Island hiding I can't see on the map.
I didn't do a detailed sweep of every province after saving to verify...
Avignon is Protestant. That makes your total at 7 PRO provinces.
The cultures are interesting too.
Greek is just shy of accepted Bavarian.
If we can just spike the income a little...
Remember that Bavarian became accepted quite a while ago. The Bavarian slice of the pie right now is certainly less than the ~15% it was at the time of acceptance. If your Greek slice of pie is only at that level and Turkish is less, I would say your only hope for getting those cultures now is to cross your digits 4x and start praying.
Note: The Official Milanese Position on the Major Game Decisions are at the End of this Post.

Also the reason for going Serfdom.
It's not the norm. It makes life a little harder.
We can always go back if we have too...
And as Sir Beamed pointed out, it actually helps with culture, making it an asset in a backwards kind of way.
The cultural spread right now is replacing Austrian and Bavarian cultures with Lombard. These are two of your richest cultures and are most likely to remain accepted throughout the game. I would highly advise against adopting serfdom so that you do not end up with a -30% penalty in Gorz. Also looking at the culture pie chart, Austrian looks to be on the verge of non-acceptance. Besides, is it really within the precepts of the Protestant faith to beat down God's children in oppression by the rich?

No Reformed provinces at all!!???!?!?!? (may have gone a little over the top with punctuation there) In this aspect you've certainly got your wish of an interesting game. I'm thinking of changing my vote to Reformed just so we can be contrary, if it ever pops. Although I don't think Defender of the Faith will get us into many defensive wars :D

I totally agree with phasing out the galleys, to be replaced with Big Ships. War with GB would be a bit of a problem at the moment.

On the Italy debate I do see your point, or four. If the majority is against it I won't complain. If so perhaps you should mod in an "Italy, bah!" decision that when taken would remove the form Italy decision from the list.

Don't know if you mentioned this before but I think your AAR is classified as a 'Gameplay AAR' since the focus is on the game mechanics. I only mention this because I saw that OrangeYoshi's ballot in the ACA Awards lists your AAR under the 'Narrative AAR' category. Best to get these matters sorted out early so you can cruise to victory.
I placed it under "narrative" simply because of all the stories that are thrown in about people. I was heavily debating whether to do gameplay or narrative, but as it appears others believe it is more gameplay, I'll go change it.

The plan to diploannex Naples also screams "centralized".

The issue with the Serfdom route is that you might not get much out of it. And even if you do it might be counterproductive (like Sir nsahn says). Also, I take it that you're at 0, so you need two moves towards Serfdom before it does anything culturally IIRC. I agree that it's a different route and that's positive, but the pretty low reward of -10 % MTTH for sitting at -2 Serfdom the whole game sounds, to be frank, just stupid. Unless there are other factors that I'm not aware of.

I like it how close the Med goal is.

I agree with the Knight of Hell-sinki when the speaks of diploannexation and centralization.

antracer said:
Two...
Handicaps.
No, I'm not saying Italia is Handicapped.
That's Blue, and we all know who the BBB is.
I'm talking Game Handicaps.
Becoming Italy grants certain "benefits".
Now they aren't going to put a man on the moon or anything...
But they are helpers, and I don't want extra helpers.
They aren't unfair helpers in the sense that the AI can't do exactly what you are doing. When the AI forms a country, it gets the same "helpers".

antracer said:
Three...
Everybody forms Italy.
Or Germany, or Great Britain, or Russia or The Prussians or whatever.
A world controlled by one tiny little Milan though...
I had the same idea when I did Aquileia.
The underdog. The little country that could.
And few really stick to the guns. They form Italy.
It's been done, alot more than Milan has been done.

I'm going to be a bit gamey here. I say go and form Italy, and then send the save and whatnot to me so I can then edit it and return it back to our Purple(ish)ness that we all know and love, so that you'll get the +2 centralization, the cores, and the tax bonuses, but we'll stay purple, and a republic, and whatever we have now.

antracer said:
[On the move to Serfdom]

Who's ever done a city state controlling the med, mercantile and religious control freak without any new world colonies yet kicked Ming's ass empire...?

That's what I'm after.

A memorable game that was full of the unexpected, the not usually seen, a great end game and a whole bunch of involvement from all over the board.

A move to serfdom might fit well with the AAR RP, but it certainly wouldn't be good in gameplay terms. Not in the least.

At the end of the day it is up to you, but be warned now that if you get into the Times of Troubles, it'll end all fun for you in playing and that you'll likely never get rid of it with a big and diverse empire such as our Milan is currently.

However, in the spirit of oddity, I say go REF.
antracer said:
Just for informational purposes only, and not as an indication of intent... But...:
Poland - 21418, down because of war.
Bohemia - 20,000.
Grenada - 15,000.
Austria - 14,000...
Good, good. I say that after we finish our North African conquests, we concentrate on consolidating the Balkans and south-eastern Europe.

awesome!

I don't know why we need to stay Milan - we are clearly much much more than Milan now. We are also, it seems, much much more than Italy, so that is inappropriate, too. It is time the world (and us ourselves) acknowledged our power - there is no one in the entire Mediterranean that can oppose us and we need to reflect this in our national identity.

So, there's no weak spot where you can strike Dulkadir without starting a world war? Finishing that corner of the Med and getting the land connection would be a nice "two birds with one stone" situation.