• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe if enough people complain AND give more accurate feedback, P'dox will have a better chance of including a more streamlined map. Just a thought.

Both the culture and political maps are plain AWFUL AND WRONG. It sucks on so many levels.

And I have liked every single CKII expansion and patch, with the exclusion of SI.

Apart from the political map, I see too many germanic cultures on the cultural map. This is just wrong. Italy and Iberia were never heavily populated by either Visigoths or Lombards; local rulers might have been mostly germanic in some areas but the vast majority of the population has always been Romance.

And Slavs are a problem too.

I also wonder what the "story-driven gameplay" will look like. I hope it takes the route of Dynamic Historical Events from EUIV (with more options to choose to make for replayability) I am quite worried.

There is another thing I do not understand. The trailer speaks of Charlemagne as of the man "who built the Roman Empire". I may agree with that. So why the hell do they show the Empire of Francia on the map?

Hopefully this has to do with the "Customize kingdoms and empires" option.

There is another thing I do not understand. The trailer speaks of Charlemagne as of the man "who built the Roman Empire". I may agree with that. So why the hell do they show the Empire of Francia on the map?

Hopefully this has to do with the "Customize kingdoms and empires" option.

Because it was called Francia in modern times. BUt in reality his title was Roman Emperor. But it was the same with Byzantine, were we use the modern name in the game. Otherwise we would have twi Roman Empiers in the map.

I was rather disappointed with the DLC announcement, but we shall see what comes of it.

As for the culture map, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's a work-in-progress.

I thought Visigothic Spain was mostly the ruler caste with everyone else going from Latin to specific Iberian cultures over time.
THIS.

Same in Italy.

It's fine that they introduce new cultures, but only for the characters in the starting map.

Because he ruled Francia? It was still Francia when he died - one of his descendants created the Holy Roman Empire, but Charlemagne was the one who laid the cornerstone. He was Emperor of Rome and King of the Franks.

Because he ruled Francia? It was still Francia when he died - one of his descendants created the Holy Roman Empire, but Charlemagne was the one who laid the cornerstone. He was Emperor of Rome and King of the Franks.
I know history, man.

So I would prefer that the realm were named "Empire of the Romans and the Franks" or an appropriately shorter equivalent phrase.

While I'm currently a wee bit underwhelmed (but will wait to see what PDox all has in this, as there's precious few details), I would remind everyone that ToG had similar work in progress maps released early around its announcement that were later significantly updated before it hit the virtual shelves. Given we're probably a good ways off still from the actual release I would highly expect much of this to change.

And here's to hoping for that cultural mechanics overhaul CKII could really use!

While I'm currently a wee bit underwhelmed (but will wait to see what PDox all has in this, as there's precious few details), I would remind everyone that ToG had similar work in progress maps released early around its announcement that were later significantly updated before it hit the virtual shelves. Given we're probably a good ways off still from the actual release I would highly expect much of this to change.

And here's to hoping for that cultural mechanics overhaul CKII could really use!
Yes, that's what I hope the most: that with this expansion they would finally revise cultural spread.

I know history, man.

So I would prefer that the realm were named "Empire of the Romans and the Franks" or an appropriately shorter equivalent phrase.

But then we must rename the Byzantine Empire to Roman Empire too...

I know history, man.

Rfrancme?

Also, it's most likely work in progress like that TOG political map, ya know, the one with Burgundy and all that stuff (shudder).

Why did you wonder about the Saxons? Dutch didn't exist at this time. It was a dialect of Frankish (not Old French or Romance, Germanic Frankish). So it will likely a split from Frankish (I hope Frankish in this screen is Germanic Frankish and not again French...)

I'd say its more accurate to say that Frisian, Frankish, Saxon, and the Anglo-Saxon language were all Low Germanic dialects, at this point. Well, Frankish was probably far too romanized by this century (the Carolingians relied on Anglo-Saxon missionaries to convert the Germans, due to better mutual intelligibility).