• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It was a sad one, with an important lesson: prepare your war well. :D

A shame than soo few peoples subscribed in this. I'll alway be following!

Meh. I don't think the traffic has been so bad. I've gotten more interest out of this one than I did with Chile. >_>

Real update will be coming tomorrow guys! :D

Great update(s)!

I once had a similar experience, except as Arabs vs. Italy. Perhaps you should join the axis once war breaks out?

Not to spoil anything, but i was hoping to play the two sides against each other and take the scraps. But we'll see how it actually plays out.

Quanto said:

Suddenly, the Nubian theater goes horribly wrong! :X
Where in hell did so many of them come from! And the French are pretty pissed as well. >_>

That French general looks bit Hitler :)

Oh Ra! :rofl:

Phase V: The Ottomans​

For some time during and after the crusades, a new power was rising in Anatolia, the Ottoman Turks. During these times, they had begun to carve a large empire that extended deep into southern Europe and far into Asia Minor. When Mehmet II conquered the Greek Citadel of Byzantium. From there that city became the new Capital of the Ottoman Empire. With the success of that siege, the Ottomans spread steadily in all directions.

This steady conquest eventually lead to war with the Fourth Kingdom of Egypt. Ottoman Forces under the rule of Sultan Selim I were pitted against the relatively new and inexperienced Egyptian Pharaoh Huni II.

From the 1300s to the 1500s, the Egyptian Pharaohs had been relatively comfortable and complacent with their Arab neighbors and no longer felt threatened, as a result, the boarders with the many Sultanates surrounding Egypt were relatively undefended. And Sultan Selim I's army was able to move unopposed nearly up to the Nile itself.

Huni II, while caught off guard, rallied his Generals and troops as quickly as possible. The Ottoman Army had indeed reached the Capital of Memphis and a small Garrison and two militias were all that opposed the initial attack.

The nearest Egyptian Regular Army was based in the province of Aswan several hundred miles south. Fortunately, the Nile was the fastest road in the world and the army was able to transport its horses, chariots and infantry far faster than they would have overland.

The Garrison at Memphis held the city until the Aswan divisions arrived. It was a long week and a half but the Army had finally arrived en force only a few miles from the city.

Sultan Selim I learned of these reinforcements and sent 10,000 of his troops south to intercept the Egyptian General Chigaru and his 5,000 Chariots and 10,000 regular infantry. In reality, Selim had little information on how many troops the Egyptian Regulars had, he had only assumed that 10,000 would be enough.

The battle of Dahshur would later be known as one of the most brutal and well fought battles in the history of the Fourth Kingdom.

General Chigaru was a seasoned veteran in several battles in the southern and western Egyptian Frontiers, he had also fought in several battles against a few minor Crusader invasions. His Chariots were among the best in Egypt (their archers were so highly trained that it was rumored they could fire an arrow between the plates of a Knight's armor at full gallop) and his infantry were equipped with the latest in Egyptian light armor and sword technology. The mainstay of Egyptian swords, the "Khopish" was excellent in both a slashing and jabbing attack. Their only rival in quality and deadliness being the swords of the Far East.

The forces of Selim I were not poor in skill or technology either however. And both sides were evenly matched in both training and tactics. Both sides knew exactly how to use the troops they had available to them. The only disadvantage the Ottomans had in the battle, and this was the decider, was their lack of Cavalry support, and as a result, while the Egyptian and Ottoman infantry formations slugged it out, two formations of Egyptian Chariots attacked the flanks of the Ottoman forces and inflicted massive cassualties to the Ottoman infantry. Because of the high mobility of the Egyptian Chariots, the Ottomans were forced to retreat, but even in retreat, they were cut down by harrowing arrow fire from the faster Chariots.

When Chigaru's troops reached Memphis, Sultan Selim I had already lost half of his forces in the Battle of Dahshur. He ordered a controlled withdrawal as the Garrison in Memphis was able to leave the city walls and link up with Chigaru's forces.

The Ottoman war with Egypt would last for another two years before Sultan Selim I finally agreed to a peace. The treaty here would be much the same as the one made between Pharaoh Ahmose V and Caliph Umar. This time however, the Egyptians also employed the command of several Muslim officers in the war, and during the war, a great respect was earned between the Ottomans and Egyptians (it was rare for either side to execute the prisoners of another.) As a result, Pharaoh Huni II agreed to allow for Ottoman Expansion past the Western Egyptian Frontier (the Arab Sultanates of that area were bothersome anyways, and the land there was of little value to the Egyptian Empire.)

In time the treaty would evolve into an unofficial alliance between the two powers as a way to combat the rising power of Western Europe. Trade between the Ottoman Empire and Egyptian Empire continued to grow strong as both sides had resources and technology the other wanted. It was notable to point out that an Egyptian Scribe Nakhthorheb, had created an interchangeable printing press as a means to write in hieroglyphic much faster so that information could be sent between the provinces and the central government much faster than it would have been by hand. This technology alone was very valuable to the Ottomans as their empire expanded.

Though unknown to either Empire, a German fellow by the name of Gutenberg had invented something similar in Europe. However it would be debated for some time as to who had invented the press first as the Egyptian and European calenders were quite different. Eventually it would be found that Nakhthorheb's press predated Gutenberg by several years. It would also later be discovered that the Chinese created a press even earlier in 1040 by Chinese inventor, Bi Sheng. However, it was not surprising that the Egyptian System was far more similar to the Chinese than the European. As the Chinese and Egyptians shared a similar method of writing.

The first battle fought jointly by both the Egyptians and Ottomans was against Napoleon's French Forces in 1798. The battle was a resounding success and Napoleon was thorough Embarrassed by the defeat. However, it would not stop him from creating an Empire that would span across Continental Europe.

Next: Phase VI: The 19th Century

Two more to go before gameplay starts!

Napoleon still rises without victory in Giza? Interesting.

But you still use chariots? There's a reason they went out of style.

likk9922 said:
Napoleon still rises without victory in Giza? Interesting.

But you still use chariots? There's a reason they went out of style.
There was a reason? Damn, and i wanted to attach machine guns to them :(

I'm pretty sure they would rape any standard Cavalry division. I mean come on, imagine how awesome it would be to have some SMG equiped Egyptians unloading whole magazines into oncoming Enemy Cavalry. (the SMGs would be silenced however so as not to scare their own horses :X)

And if the Chariots were built with lightweight but tough composite materials (and rubber air tires :D) they would be a million times better than the Chariots you are probably imagining. And as for the ones used against the Ottomans, they are built with the improved materials of the time. And an Egyptian armed with a Khopish against a Crusader Knight would more than likely be able to at least incapacitate them in battle, if not kill.

But meh, its all conjecture and hypothesis, but isn't that the point of an a-historical AAR?

>_>

Last edited:
Okay, that little bit of alternate,alternate history was an interesting little sidebar. Word of advice...DONT DO IT AGAIN!!! :mad: Okay, I think I made my point. Patience grasshopper. Nice work on the Ottoman section. Keep it up. ;)

Quanto said:
There was a reason? Damn, and i wanted to attach machine guns to them :(

I'm pretty sure they would rape any standard Cavalry division. I mean come on, imagine how awesome it would be to have some SMG equiped Egyptians unloading whole magazines into oncoming Enemy Cavalry. (the SMGs would be silenced however so as not to scare their own horses :X)

And if the Chariots were built with lightweight but tough composite materials (and rubber air tires :D) they would be a million times better than the Chariots you are probably imagining. And as for the ones used against the Ottomans, they are built with the improved materials of the time. And an Egyptian armed with a Khopish against a Crusader Knight would more than likely be able to at least incapacitate them in battle, if not kill.

But meh, its all conjecture and hypothesis, but isn't that the point of an a-historical AAR?

>_>

Well, here's a link to the "Why No More Chariots?" thread.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311324

But I see no reason why you can't just disregard all of that and strap machine guns to them. :D

How would combining chariot and cataprath? Armored horses pulling armored men on armored chariot? And riders of course have many muskets or machinegun with them to get shock effect.

Baneslave said:
How would combining chariot and cataprath? Armored horses pulling armored men on armored chariot? And riders of course have many muskets or machinegun with them to get shock effect.

The thing is: on a certain point the whole darn thing gets just too heavy even for a multitude of horses and a chariot pulled by fifteen horses is a bit resource inefficient.

Baneslave said:
Yes... We need more horses, then.

Didn't you talk about these tracked vehicles the english use?