• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts? Criticisms?

Yeah, very good ideas! I'd like to see coal being a more important part.
You also had these coaling stations or whatever in the original game which provided refueling points for fleets. Afaik they could only make the fleet go farther. But i think when you have a really huge fleet it should drain alot on the coal, and later on oil when those combustions engines are built. I would think UK had a huge consume of these raw materials for its fleet... Even wood in the earliest days. Britain had to import lots of wood from colonies to build its early fleet. (didnt need fuel back then tho)

I'd go further; every industry should require 'resource maintenance', as should population and infrastructure levels.

+1

It would be essential for the representation of 'relative decline' of industrial countries, like UK in comparison with Germany or USA. Would give some meaning also to not building railways everywhere. And the war for markets and resources would be encouraged also.

In case you're not following DDs of Heir to the Throne (new EUIII expansion), today has been introduced (in fact, it's just a screenshot) a feature: trade rights. Maybe a clue about how 'multiple' markets and trade agreements could work in V2?

attachment.php

HT's DD thread is here.

In case you're not following DDs of Heir to the Throne (new EUIII expansion), today has been introduced (in fact, it's just a screenshot) a feature: trade rights. Maybe a clue about how 'multiple' markets and trade agreements could work in V2?

attachment.php

HT's DD thread is here.

:eek:
que caña!
i thought that expansion was just going to be an explansion but it's going to be very worthy. :)

:eek:
que caña!
i thought that expansion was just going to be an explansion but it's going to be very worthy. :)

I think so. There're some good ideas, like introducing different types of casus belli, managing victory outcomes depending of the conditions stated by agressor, or sphere of influence (I suppose a preview of Vicky2's one).

I have to admit that this 'trade rights' thing has brought me some hopes about economy in Vicky2...

Saludos ;)

Last edited:
Making the case for a general equilibrium economy

Can somebody inform me about the current state of the discussion regarding the economic system in Vic 2. I didn't follow the discussion so far and I would really appreciate a quick start.
Personally, I think the Economy is the core of the game. So if you don't get this one right everything will be flawed. Let me just name two examples to illustrate my point:

Immigration: While there was some migration of persecuted minority groups most of the migration to the new world was triggered by economical problems. Hence, immigration should be very closely linked to the economic wellbeing of a nation not so much to political parameters as it was the case in Vic 1.

Revolutions: revolutionary movements usually root in the discontent of the masses. Usually this means significant unemployment or even worse an insufficient food supply.

Imagine how cool it would be if an early industrializing Britain would drive the global cotton prices down by dramatically expanding supply, thereby putting the more traditional textile manufactures out of business causing unemployment in the respective regions (like Silesia) to skyrocket. This might trigger mass emigration or undermine the authority of the current regime, most likely both. Maybe however the regime is prepared and quickly innovates its own industry (see the interaction with technology investments: I could imagine a rather complicated tech-tree, which gives the player something to strategize) or strengthens public demand by huge investments into railroads for example. A communist regime could just decide to continue to run its inefficient factories at the price of growing budget deficits and inflation.

Another nice thing to fantasiza about would be how bad harvests could distort the world markets and lead to a quick deprivation of big numbers coupled with all the side effects this could have on internal policy.

I could name many more aspects of the game like war capacity or great power status, which are vastly influenced by the economic basis of the respective nation but I think I already made my point: For plausible and intriguing game outcomes Vic 2 needs a solid economic model as its backbone. Therefore I want to question why Paradox is not committed to a general equilibrium economic model. Vicy 2 with a general equilibrium economic model could just be the most amazing and intelligent game ever made. It would also be extensibly modable and could be easily fine-tuned by the community. Probably the most important advantage of a preprogrammed general equilibrium economic model would be that it could eventually prevent the AI from doing stupid, implausible things.

Fredrick by Twitter:
PdxInteractive

Discussed the world market in Vic2 with the devs yesterday. Finally the time studying economics paid off :)

Wish to have seen this... Some information? ;)

Apologies if already mentioned, but it would be nice to see whaling oil in Hawaii and Boston used by the upper classes in the early 19th c. and petroleum oil and fuel later on actually increasingly consumed by POPs rather than stockpiled for occasional use by navies.

Fredrick by Twitter:

Wish to have seen this... Some information? ;)

That means that Frederick hired himself as a fellow developper into the team. :D

Just playing my first game of VickyII. It would be nice to be able to have a totally (possibly more liberal) economy going on in the Colonies... countries that are not my Homeland... i.e. playing as Russia, Madagasgar is my Colony and to be able to build factories, do things totally different there?

... Having the Colonies with a different Economy Control, but still feeding in to the Homeland.

Don't know if this is possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.