• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zamensis

Second Lieutenant
74 Badges
Jun 8, 2011
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
mod.jpg

DOWNLOAD (~180 MB)
See Installation below.
Version 0.92 (tested for AOD 1.08 to 1.12) 4th april 2023
If you liked this, please leave a comment!

COMPATIBILITY
- Compatible with any version of AOD between 1.07 and 1.12. Savegame-compatible.
- Mostly compatible with most mods (see Installation). Some mismatches are to be expected (event pictures for example), but nothing game-breaking.

Note: This mod doesn't change the pictures for leaders, ministers, research teams, technologies, units, sprites, flags or unique provinces. For all these items, there are a few mods out there that will nicely complement this one.

PREVIEW
000.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

INSTALLATION

- Important: Before you install the mod, delete the folder "gfx\skins" (or just rename it).
- Now the installation. Extract the file you have downloaded into your AOD folder.
- If you use a mod that adds countries or changes the map, leave your "db" and "map" folders as they are, overwrite the rest. Otherwise, overwrite everything.
- You're done. Please share your opinions!

OPTIONAL ADD-ONS

Vanilla-style map icons 1.0 (4 KB) - Black map icons, vanilla-style, for those who don't like the orange ones.
Nazi flag 1.0 (94 KB) - Historical flag for Germany (original author unknown, adjustments by me).
Alternative Tech Tree Display - Unless you use a mod that adds/changes/removes techs, I recommend you use this one too. For AOD 1.07-1.12 only.

CHANGELOG
v. 0.91
- Insignificant tweaks, really.

v. 0.9
- Added a download link.

CREDITS
- HOI4, mainly.
- Some images I did myself.
- WIF, Mod33, GIP? A very small amount of assets might remain from other mods, having been used for testing in the earliest days of this project, years ago.
- In any case, if you happen to reckognize your work in this mod, please, contact me about it.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I am looking forward to your upload post, Zamensis ! :)

Thank you for your intention to share with us your work!

Graphics are obviously one of the few better elements that HoI4 has, in comparison with AoD !

It looks very good. The default map colors can be hard on the eyes, especially the USSR live-red color. Happy to hear that you decided to upload the mod even after many years of development. I made a darker interface mod a few years ago but never decided to share. It looks so 'crude' now compared to yours :eek:

Thanks for your support!

I have a question to submit to anyone reading this, but first let me apologize for my evening English. It's 2:00 AM here and my mind is all blurry.

Anyway, here's the question I have. I cannot decide which type of map icons looks best. (Don't look at harbours or airfields, for now I'm focusing on AA, forts, radars and such. Note the missile base NW of London.)

Click on the images to see them full-res.

BLACK (CLASSICAL) ICONS
icons-black.jpg

COLOURED (HOI4 ORANGE) ICONS
icons-black2.jpg

I have a slight preference for the coloured (HOI4 orange) icons. Do you have an opinion?

• Note 1: If I want the icons to appear darker under fog of war, then I have to use the black icons. Because of the engine's limitations, the coloured icons won't change colour under FoW.
  • Note 2: The coloured icons look very bright over GER's colours under FoW. However most countries don't use such a dark colour, so the icons won't appear as clear-cut as they do here. Still, GER is too important in the game to be ignored. I think I can get used to it, though.
  • Note 3: Many graphical mods use 3D-like map icons instead of 'classical' 2D ones. I chose not to use 3D icons because I find it doesn't fit well (well, not at all, actually) with the rest of the map design.

Last edited:
I think I prefer the contrast, makes it easier to see where Germany's strong & weak points are.

Perhaps having an option to include both, with players downloading whichever they prefer, is the easiest solution.

I think I prefer the contrast, makes it easier to see where Germany's strong & weak points are.

Perhaps having an option to include both, with players downloading whichever they prefer, is the easiest solution.
Indeed. Since art is subjective, I thought it'd be better to propose one full package, then different options for different parts of the mod. Thanks for your input.

This looks great! Not a big fan of IV, too much like a cartoon :)

Do you have any plans to update the map? Maybe like DH's map?
Thanks for your support!

My mod will only change the looks of the game, not the gameplay. When it comes to the map, this means: same map, same provinces, different look. I will apply a new topographic texture to it, like in DH, but there will be no change to the map itself.

Say you have a mod that puts DH's map into AOD. You'll be able to enjoy everything in my mod, except for the new topographic look. (Which you don't need anyway, since DH already has its own topographic look).

Last edited:
Congratulations, great idea and work! :cool:

I have been a modder for about 8 years (Irön Fist) ...I know the difficulties and problems that are encountered.
But after the difficulties the satisfactions arrive.

Good luck! ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey lads,

You'll find a download link in the first post. I've also reworked the presentation with better info and newer images.

I'll be glad to read your thoughts! As for myself, even though this version still needs a few last strokes of polishing, I can finally enjoy the damn game!

Hey nice mod. It looks really good so far. The only problem I've found is that the minimap on my game looks like the default AOD minimap, and not the one in the preview.
Thanks for this kind comment! I appreciate all kinds of support, but I was impatient for someone to tell me something about this mod, good or bad.

Regarding the minimap, it is the one in the preview. In the first picture it is superimposed with the grey vanilla minimap, but take a look at the other pictures, you'll see it's the same minimap as in your own shot.
That being said, I'm not happy with it and it will be one of the things to be improved in version 1.0.

Still, if you prefer the greyish look you see in the first picture, you can take back the one from vanilla. Since you're a modder yourself, I'm sure you already know where to find it, but just in case: "[AOD]/gfx/interface/minimap.bmp".

Thanks again!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like it a lot.
Thanks for this kind comment! I appreciate all kinds of support, but I was impatient for someone to tell me something about this mod, good or bad.
Well here is one thing. The gray mesh overlay on certain provinces (representing non-plains?). It bothers me a bit. I don't mind the darker tint on the map as a whole. And the idea of visually distinguishing provinces like that is excellent. But the darkening layer looks a bit oversaturated.

I like it a lot.

Well here is one thing. The gray mesh overlay on certain provinces (representing non-plains?). It bothers me a bit. I don't mind the darker tint on the map as a whole. And the idea of visually distinguishing provinces like that is excellent. But the darkening layer looks a bit oversaturated.
Thanks a lot!

I am still tweaking the map right now to better distinguish between different terrain types, no matter the map mode, but it's hard work. I intend to release an improved version. I'm not sure to understand what you mean by 'oversaturated'... In this 0.9 version, the mountains are quite strongly visible, and the forest, jungle, hills, etc. are quite indistinguishable. I'm trying to make it better.

Note: You can remove the texture by restoring the vanilla 'lightmap#.tbl' files that you find in the 'AOD/map' directory.

Thanks a lot!

I am still tweaking the map right now to better distinguish between different terrain types, no matter the map mode, but it's hard work. I intend to release an improved version. I'm not sure to understand what you mean by 'oversaturated'... In this 0.9 version, the mountains are quite strongly visible, and the forest, jungle, hills, etc. are quite indistinguishable. I'm trying to make it better.

Note: You can remove the texture by restoring the vanilla 'lightmap#.tbl' files that you find in the 'AOD/map' directory.
Thanks for telling how to remove it. I think I'll keep it for now though. Its still better than vanilla. ;) Its not very important. Its just that I need to strain to see the province text and some other things like forts. The province colour scheme is dark-grayish and the texture is gray and the text is black/gray. That cumulative effect of a combination of similar colours makes it a bit hard to see.
English isn't my native language. Maybe unsatured is the right word...?

English doesn't make it easy for us in this particular case, as saturation can have different meanings in the very same context, whereas in my mother tongue (French) you'd just use different words. But that's alright, now I get what you mean. Indeed there's room for improvement there. I have some ideas that I'll have to test out.

Thank you very much for your input, it means a lot.

issue: some files may be missing for "Vanilla-style map icons 1.0"
gfx\map\
city.bmp
d01.bmp
syn.bmp

question: is it possible to show beaches in the political mapmode? just found beaches could not show in many map modes with AOD. DH shows beaches in many map modes, such as political mapmode.

Last edited:
issue: some files may be missing for "Vanilla-style map icons 1.0"
gfx\map\
city.bmp
d01.bmp
syn.bmp
Thanks for letting me know, I corrected this and updated the link above.

question: is it possible to show beaches in the political mapmode? just found beaches could not show in many map modes with AOD. DH shows beaches in many map modes, such as political mapmode.
Great idea! I don't think you can make it in the way DH does, but something can be thought of at the map texture level. I'll see if I find a way to make this fit nicely into the mod.

• 1Like
Reactions: