• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the comments.

Outside Germany hmm, no, I actually don't, any suggestions? Should I achieve that goal I'll have very little idea where to bounce next... Challenge the UK maybe?

Thanks for the comments.

Outside Germany hmm, no, I actually don't, any suggestions? Should I achieve that goal I'll have very little idea where to bounce next... Challenge the UK maybe?
Lebensraum! :D
And, of course, kick brits arses.

Legacy of Metternich - Chapter Seven

Explanatory note on structure of Austrian military

As noted earlier an Armee consist of 2 cavalry regiments, 2 artillery regiments and 6 infantry regiments. Lately with discovery of dragoon units, some of the cavalry regiments have turned into dragoons, but there are still regular cavalry regiments in service as well. Now while this is the base unit, it's quite commonly split into two Half Armees, each 1 cavalry, 1 artillery and 3 infantry regiments strong, to cover wider territory while maintaining enough strenght to hold their own until reinforcing units arrive. Thus command structure of Austrian army as it was during this chapter, will include for some Armee's two commanders, this does not reflect change in leadership, but the commander of the other half said Armee.

1870generals.png

Chapter Seven​

It was barely 6 years from the last war, and we had barely managed to increase relations with the north Germans to cordial, when some resentful Prussian captain offered us a perfect opportunity to humiliate our northern neighbors futher, in name of border security. This was not as it had been planned by Francis Joseph, the previous war was still fresh in memories of the other great powers, and we'd hoped to get at least a new generation of advisors in the foreign courts that wouldn't see this as our continued agression (Infamy still at 12,27). However, it was too good an opportunity to throw away, we'd just have to be satisfied with lesser gains this time.

1870border.png

As usual, we called upon our Hannoverian allies, who didn't hesitate for a moment even if the Hannöversche Heer had been reduced to 12000 men due to previous war, we also formally allied our South German Satellite.

1870hano.png

Hummel's IV. and von Schönburg's VIII. Armee's began by moving from Northern Italy through South German Federation towards western Prussia, Steeb's VI. Armee was also to move towards west from it's prewar station in Hungary. Suprisingly the North German minors declined to honor 'neutrality' of South German Federation and while moving though it, Austrian forces destroyed armies of Nassau and Hesse-Darmnstadt.

1870minors.png

While rest of the Austrian Army arranged itself along Prussian border in Schlesien, the Prussians moved into Hannover and Madgeburg engaging von der Tann's lonely V. Armee.

1870madgestendahl.png

When Prussian obsession with Madgeburg became apparent, Schobber's I. Armee was sent from Gorlitz to assist V. Armee, and managed to arrive in time to win the second battle of Stendahl.

18702ndstendal.png

While IV. and VIII. had split to occupy western Prussia, Steeb's VI. Armee engaged the Prussians armies now trying to move from occupied Madgeburg towards west in Kassel. While Stolzer's VII. Armee managed to arrive in time to render assistance to the outnumbered Steeb, the Prussians already had definitive advantage in the battle and Austrians took heavy losses, eventually losing this battle. This loss was so devastating that Francis Joseph began to doubt swift solution to the war and decided to call the South German Federation into the war in September to speed things up.

1870kassel.png

Not satisfied with the victory, Prussians chased after Steeb and Stolzer to Korbach, while Austrians disengaged with haste, the losses piled up even here.

1870korbach.png

Meanwhile eastern Prussia had seemed largely void of enemy troops and the Armee's in Schlesien had moved northwards to occupy these 'easy gains', however, after they scattered along the Russian border, Swedish and Prussian armies arrived to suprise them. (Please note that the army list in picture is incomple and lot of them are only half armies, not all of those men were lost, yet)

1870wprussia.png

While the Swedish were defeated, the battles in Deutsch Krone and Bromberg were too uneven, small luck was that Bromberg was lost and while Trunk chose to withdraw into Torun, this lead to Prussians in Bromberg chasing after them and allowed von Hötzendorf's half of III. Armee to withdraw into Bromberg from Deutsch Krone. Trunk's half of II. Armee however, was lost in Torun. While Wagner brought the other half of II. Armee to Bromberg to hold back the Prussians, this was not sufficient reinforcement and both he and von Hötzendorf were finally forced to fall back to Gniezo.

1870wprubattles.png

In west things were slighly brighter, as VI. and VII. armies had withdrawn to Siegen, and took over the occupation, allowing for von Schönburg to engage that Prussian force again with fresh Armee sized force, and indeed, this time, winning.

1870wiesbaden.png

The AI managed to inflict quite some losses, which is indeed a surprise. Are the south German allies of any use?

They have over 40 000 men in arms, so they ain't useless, but they have concentrated on the minors really, not helping with the Prussians, which is fine, really. Edit: checked and those 42 thousand are irregulars, so I'm happy they didn't try for Prussians...

And doing this, I found a reason for those losses too, almost all infantry of Prussian army is actually guards... Which I still haven't even researched =)

They have over 40 000 men in arms, so they ain't useless, but they have concentrated on the minors really, not helping with the Prussians, which is fine, really. Edit: checked and those 42 thousand are irregulars, so I'm happy they didn't try for Prussians...

And doing this, I found a reason for those losses too, almost all infantry of Prussian army is actually guards... Which I still haven't even researched =)

Ouch! I find the AI generally researches guards pretty fast and just spams them. Hopefully you can recover from the losses.

It did surprise me and I almost thought you were going to have to retreat, but now I guess you won't.
Kill 'em all!

Yeah, well, Prussia also had 33 standing regiments against my 80, then again I suppose them mobilizing did even this number up quite a bit, since I didn't...

Still, "Quantity has a quality all its own"...

Nice update, thank you Forgiven :)

I wonder how this war will end, it seems its not an easy win this time...

Actually, I'm quite disappointed about the way anybody just can spam Guard brigades, completely a-historical really.It should depend on the size of your forces, ie 1 in 4 units of the same branch (Inf, Art, Cav etc) should be able to upgrade into Guard. Yes, they are more expensive, but large countries, especially the completely overtuned UK, can easily afford the cost.

Sorry, I'll be keeping people in suspense another few days, going away for the weekend...

Actually, I'm quite disappointed about the way anybody just can spam Guard brigades, completely a-historical really.It should depend on the size of your forces, ie 1 in 4 units of the same branch (Inf, Art, Cav etc) should be able to upgrade into Guard. Yes, they are more expensive, but large countries, especially the completely overtuned UK, can easily afford the cost.

True, but ah, at least for early on it's not completely possible for Austria, as Guards can only be of accepted culture and, well, half my soldiers probably are not, I suppose if one recruited all the cavalry and art from minorities and infantry (guards) from south germans it'd be close thou...

Yes, I played it a bit gamey like that, and it gives the Ottoman Empire and Austria an enormous unfair advantage.

Regarding the prestige reduction attempt at Prussia: I realized too late that I started out too late; somewhere in the 1870s they had already formed the North German Federation. I was too careful and that gave them enough time to build up a solid economy. If you play Austria, one of the first things to do is assert your hegemony over Prussia, making them lose all the German minors. But bear in mind that during those five years of truce you have with the little ones, you can not spend influence there, while Prussia can (again) build it up. I suppose that a combination of prestige reducing and cutting down to size could allow Austria to kick Prussia out of the top 8.

North German Federation is usually formed from the 'crown from gutter' for AI I think, so just keep eye on those north german minors rebels and try to somehow get military access so you can swat any pan german rebels. (Otherwise it's easyish to keep one north german state, say Saxony, out of Prussias sphere which should be enough to prevent them from unifying North German Federation.)

The Hegemony thing would have been smart now that I think of it, I never did that in this game, but with hindsight, when I was in that one war against only prussia and not minors (as I was 'defending' an ally) I should have gone for the hegemony there, maybe, however, I also wasn't leader of that war I think, so umm, might not have worked...

My cutting is done by taking states from prussia, this makes them nicely smaller, less states = less industry & less soldiers, however, it takes bloody long this way, still, I don't know if there's really a faster method either (I've been bit timid about my infamy and haven't managed it perfectly in this game, I'm sure this process could be done faster, especially if I had know the bad relations = casus belli one of these days)

Nice to see Austria showing those Prussian dogs who's the true power in Germany. :D Shame it seems to be such a bloody slog, though, particularly this last war (you're almost getting bled dry!)... ah, well, you've got half of Germany and I'm sure the rest will follow soon. ;)

Legacy of Metternich - Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight​

battleofkoniggratzbygeo.jpg

So, we left things in west under 'relative control' which means both sides are pretty much out of strenght and/or organization. East however, was a mess.
Now, luckily, we still have a group in the 'middle' so to say, as in the two Armee's that were left to recover Madgeburg from Prussian occupation. Alas, they only got the northern half back under control when news of the situation in east reached them around November of 1870. There was a 'small' Prussian detachment of 14000 men in Berlin, but despite their attempt to withdraw into Cottbus, they were quickly swept away by the 50000 Austrians of I. and V. Armees. Oh and some business regulatory committee interrupted a perfectly good military briefing.

1871cottbus.png

While they were still on their way, remnants of II. and III. Armee managed to succesfully defend Gniezno against a larger Prussian force.

1871gniezno.png

Thus, when Schobber brought his I. Armee to Posen, he half expected to find a disorganized retreating troops on arrival, unfortunately, that was not to be, so when the battle began in early December, it was suprisingly even. Then, by 31st of December both sides had received reinforcements, Austrians had their V. Armee and half of II. Armee, Prussians had found another formation of regulars to reinforce those recruits, making this largest battle in the war so far.

1871posen.png

And with Austrians superior numbers, we actually achieved a minor victory in Posen and the following chase to Kustrin. However, with all these large concentrations of troops and battles, attrition was starting to tell and Prussians managed to escape to recover, Austrians disheartened enough to abandon chase and return to reoccupying Madgeburg.

1871posenresult.png

In west, we had left you with Austrian victory at Wiesbaden, there was a followup battle in Giessen with another Austrian victory, alas, the Prussians then managed to get away via Frankfurt by throwing the minor armies of their allies at Austrians to hold them away, they eventually reached Kreuznach that had been occupied by the Austrians forces, but those forces had then left to hunt down this Prussian army and were thus not present. So, with alarming speed, the Prussians took Kreuznach back by January, and advanced on the Austrians that were recovering in Koblenz, luckily, we did have bit more troops in the area, even if they were hardly in great shape still.

1872koblenz.png

Having first repelled the Prussians in Koblenz, they were chased back to Kruznach and indeed, broken against the second Austrian half army that came act as anvil for the retreat Prussians to be bashed against. This time, they would not be allowed to escape, and Steeb among other generals chased them until finally catching up on the last cannons in Trier. Steeb was baffled by how the Prussians artillerymen had managed to run faster than rest of their army, while dragging those cannons of theirs with them all the way, alas, they refused to surrender so their secrets were lost. After this, Swedes signed a white peace in May.

1871cologne.png

Prussians resisted peace until October of 1871, mainly by hanging onto their land in the East, indeed, there were even a few additional battles there, while most of Austrians were occupying the western part. So, why Westfalen you may ask, first, it futher isolates Hesse-Kassel and Braunschweig from Prussia, second, changes neighbor of Lippe-Detmold from Prussia to Austria, brings Austria into neighborhood of Hesse-Darmstadt and Nassau. This means, improved (long term) relations with 5 of the North German minors. (Diplomatic situation after the peace agreement, blue being the 'hostile' part of Germany, and green being the 'Austrian' part.)

1871diplo.png

In March of 1872, a few Jacobins rose up in a rebellion, indeed, persistent as they were, it would take the army all the way to June to sweep up the last of them. Now you might think this merits futher comments, with all those nice big stacks, but let's be honest, it's just rabble...
...few more shallow graves to be dug.

1872jacobin.png

Indeed, we were quite a bit more impressed with the reverse engineered Prussian breech loaded rifles we were now able to arm our troops with, this should make the next, inevitable, war bit more even again.

1872breech.png

Thank you for another great chapter!

So much struggle, so small gains (it seems).

Great update, go for Sleswig and Elsas-Lotharingen and for greater German unification.

Yes, gains were rather small, it wasn't that decisive victory, I might have been able to add another goal but even that would not have been enough for end result, so I chose to let infamy drop futher...

....Must weaken Prussia futher before elsass and sleswig, as even after this, they are still #6 in great power list...

There really should be a conquest in any war you declare. It's mostly ridiculous that you have to dow even smallish countries like the Papal State two times until they can be annexed. If someone has a mod for that, it'd be great if you could point me to it, thanks.