• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1.2, and I don't think I had mentioned it yet, I seem to have skipped all those 'preliminaries'. But I did not find the ledger implementation that much to my liking actually, I suppose it'd be good for discreting and/or banning embassies, but I adopted (later) strategy of expelling each nations advisors when they reached ~98 influence. The ledger only shows your influence, directly, while I'd really like to see the highest 'opposing influence' without hovering mouse over it.

impressive! the might of the Austrians was challenged and overcome by the strength of arms! will Prussia too be included in their sphere eventually? one can only wonder...

Haven't seen a good Austrian AAR. Subscribed.

GrenadierSchube: Prussians are quite stubborn about their Great Power position....

Danking: I have a real problem staying in the 19th century it seems :wacko: half my screenshots have 1936+ as year too :p

TekcoR: 'Haven't seen Austrian AAR' would be true too, I think this was the first, not most popular great power apparently :( . But I'll try to make it good...

Legacy of Metternich - Chapter Four(tyTwo, the meaning of life)

Chapter Four

The Military Academy, somewhat uncertain what would actually improve state of military, decided to send 50 officer strong fact gathering mission to France who had been our strong allies for whole 26 years now. Of course, the strenght of the alliance was guaranteed by the fact that it was never tested, both sides only engaged in wars they could manage themselves and never called upon each other. Still, it had diplomatic value of turning British and Russian ambitions elsewhere. It might have been better to send said officers to less wine and cognac filled country, but alas, slowly some of them started returning, first group of 4, these being the absolutists of the group, returned back to Vienna with concepts of Army Professionalism in mid 1852. Next, the 2 gamblers of the group returned in early in 1854, having won plans for Muzzle-loaded rifles in a gamble but without any more money as, of course, no frenchman had wanted to gamble for plans to rifles they knew how to make. When the next 5 returned in 1855, reporting that rest of the mission had gone rather native, and indeed, they had lost contact with 5 of them, possibly lost in bar fights, or just deserted to marry some french wench. They did however, also bring new military plans for the cavalry, for formation of Dragoon units. Disheartened with such news, the Academy stopped sending funds to those officers still in France and ordered them to return. 14 more then made their way back to Austria, as usual, casualties of any Austrian military operation still remained at ~50%. On their way, they had however visited various french fortifications and actually done their work for change, thus arriving to Vienna in late 1856 they brought with them concepts for improved fortifications and reconnaissance.

1856mili.png

The industrial situation was steadily improving under the guiding hand of goverment, even if some capitalists had found the cash to start themselves some luxury product factories. It was also goverment policy not to share money just like that, thus there were no unemployment or pension plans, instead, work was provided for everyone, even if that work was not very profitable. This was the case with Istrian and Venetian shipbuilders, indeed, the whole Austrian fleet of 10 men of wars had been originally ordered to give those factories some work, alas, keeping them in repair wasn't nearly enough work and exports were nonexistent, thus the coasts were filled with empty hulls of ships, with sails, as this was very profitable place for our fabric factories to sell their produce. Not the most sensible arrangement this perhaps, but, oh well, employed people are happy people, after all, if you only work and sleep, you have no time to plot revolutions. Suprisingly, despite all this industrialization, Austrias major exports were still unrefined goods and unsuprisingly we were mainly importing tea, tobacco and timber, first two we had none domestically and wood industries had overgrown what our forests could support. (Following from 1855)

1855fact.png

1855fact2.png

1855fact3.png

Diplomatic situation had gotten a lot better and Austrian sphere was now safe thanks to efforts of Mettenich, despite problem with Two Sicilies and Bavaria attempting to steal some of the Austrias Sphere, and indeed, Bavaria rising to such station it could no longer be considered part of Austria's. Luckily, they were also competing for the positiong among great powers between themselves and this helped some in keeping their rise in check. However, when Mettenich died in early 1858 it was unclear what would happen to the nation, as the true leader for last 14 years was now gone and power was split between the inept Ferdinand and other ministers of the goverment. The following 6 months were a true chaos with not coherent line from the goverment, and lead to a Jacobin rebelling in August of 1858.

1858rebel.png

While the Military managed to put down that rebellion rather easily, it clarified the unpopularity of monarch among the people. With Metternich gone, the imperial family managed to convince Ferdinand to finally abdicate in favor of his nephew, Francis Joseph I. He was rather more popular among the people and also able to, if slowly, wrest back the control of the empire from his ministers.

franzjosephiofaustria18.png

Although the French expedition had lead to modernization of Austrian military, it was still only 30 regiments strong, thus expansion was one of the first directives from Francis Joseph. It had become clear in the previous wars that infantry took heaviest losses... Err, that South Germans made bad infantry men, and would from now on be assigned primarily to artillery or cavalry and the rougher minorities would be recruited to infantry. By 1860 size of Austrian army had been doubled to 6 Armee's of 30000 men each, the VII. Armee was recruited during 1862 to bring total peace time army of Austria to 210000 men.

1859army.png

While Europe had remained mostly peaceful, there were various 'colonial' wars in progress when the year turned to 1863. American civil war had begun, and British took this opportunity to strike USA in the back, seeking to reclaim 'New England'.
French occupied themselves in Africa, with war against Ottomans and their allies for Tripoli and Russia was occupied with a war in.. Vietnam. With such setting having almost all great powers occupied, Francis Joseph felt now was the time to take war to Prussia again, the diplomatic means had failed after all, and Austria had only managed to steal Saxe-Weimar to it's sphere from Prussia. Thus, the war began in on January 19th.

1859war.png

Thank you for Chapter 4!

Finally Franz Josef, let the glorious long reign begin :)
And another war with Prussia, how... unexpected :D

Ok I understand the deal with the Prussians, but do you plan on expanding the empire? Asia, the Americas? or are you planning on keeping it rather historicalish ?

Alexspeed, the extented life of Franz messed up the schedule, but Franz Joseph is still 'only' 28 when taking the throne, he has many years left indeed. Alas, I'm afraid not much suprises coming any time soon, I have one later on, but ah, well, let's see if I can find anything weird to do...

Danking, European goals have absolute priority, distraction of colonial empire is not welcome until such goals have been reached... I'm not sure if that'll qualify as keeping it historicalish but ah well...

Really liking this. Could the next update confirm who is in your SoI?

Is there really a way of getting rid of those revolts? They seem to pop up at random for no reason whatsoever. I thought they'd be depending on militancy, but they come up even when militancy is down to less than 0.5 ... any other factors?

Alfredian: Thank you. I think I'll spend most of next update on war, but the SoI is really little changed from when I last posted it. However, I can just as well add it here, I'm happy to add any other things I've skipped over as comment here later. There's lot of things my chapters may skim over, I'm moving quite large periods of time at once since I don't find reporting every minor event really, interesting, there's so many of those reoccuring 'flavor' ones. So the sphere, in some order by size;
Hanover, Switzerland, Baden, Württenberg, Tuscany, Saxony, Saxe-Weimar, Parma, Lucca, Krakow.
Bavaria is out of sphere since it keeps joining the list of great powers, currently eight is Two Sicilies, but it's just about to lose it back to Bavaria again (1863 january)

Baltasar; I believe, that enacting reform in area that they are complaining about, reduces some element of the rebel support drastically, but I'm not quite sure of this.. (Political reforms for jacobins & other liberals, I have no commies yet, but social reforms for them) Nationalist rebels, well, I don't suppose you can do much about that, but haven't really risen in that large numbers for me at leasts...

Well, getting loads of revolutionaries while at the same time having no militancy worth mentioning (ie < 0.5) is a bit confusing to start with. And then one would like to enact reforms but has to wait for sufficient concience within the population, but once you actually enact such reforms, a big chunk of that concience is being removed because the a part of the population has been satisfied. As I understand it, having the best possible social reforms (8h day etc) should virtually shut down any rebellions whatsoever. Capitalists and Nationalists wouldn't find the numbers to actually mount rebellions if the vast majority of the population was quite happy with the country they life in.

You presume people can be satisfied, ever...
16h work day is just fine if no one else has shorter one, there's been talk about moving to 6 hour work days in few places in europe hasn't there?
I believe you need tv (or radio) to properly divert people's attention so they become too lazy (or brainwashed) to rebel.

I didn't mean to turn this into a real life discussion, I'm just upset with the game mechanics which I am either unable to comprehend or are just as crappy as in other games / cases. I'd like to do some reforms, but the population doesn't seem to have the conciousness to demand them. But if they don't, why the heck are they revolting, sometimes in literally every province? Is there a pattern one should follow? Am I forced to use all my reform possibilities eg on voting system first, so all people can actually vote?

I don't mind getting bit derailed...

Upper house is actually what decides on reforms, more often than not, the thing stopping reform for me is the high percentage of conservatives in upper house. Now, concervatives will vote yes for reform if militancy is high enough, and in small countries you can use the minor events to push militancy higher, far enough for conservatives to bend into accepting a reform. I should probably check what else rises militancy so I could do this in larger absolutist countries as well...

If you really want to rack up militancy so you can reform, lose a war. That's right: start a war you have no intention of winning (or even fighting) and exit with a white peace. You will not have reached a wargoal, and incur some militancy across the board. Potentially enough to reform (I think about 2 militancy per wargoal not achieved? so that should incur 20% of the 'half-willing' parties to vote for a reform)

Juan_de_Marco: Ahh, now that's useful, thanks.

Danking: Sorry, I'm having bit of writers block, not sure how I want to do the next one, got most of the images ready but, hmn, yea, I'll try to get something today, but no promises.

Legacy of Metternich - Chapter Three (or so.)

Chapter Five​

800pxcustozza1866.jpg

Unlike the previous war, we were now the attacker, this unfortunatly brought the clutter of minor German states into the war on side of Prussia. Francis Joseph considered military assistance that those truly minor nations could contribute to the cause so small, he chose to only call on the slighly larger allies of his. Bavaria joining in was major cause for joy, as it couldn't have been taken for granted, but apparently they saw something to benefit themselves in this war as well. We'd just be happy if their military would take some losses and thus weaken their claim for position among the great powers. Sweden, who had been allied with both, chose to go against us, this was not a real suprise, they were remembering their old days of strenght and sought with those alliances to guarantee the stability in neighborhood, so going with the defender was obvious choise.

1863calls.png

This time, Austrian VI. and III. Armees immediately crossed the border, engaging one of Prussias standing armies reinforced with Kattowitzian beggars. To prevent reinforcements and retreat for the Prussians, Leopold von Schönburgs IV. Armee moved to Oppeln. Thus, for once, first battle of the war was decisive Austrian victory.
However, the Prussian general von Mecklenburg proved he not totally inept and chose to withdraw his forces across the border into Austria once he received knowledge that retreat to Oppeln was blocked.

1863kattowitz1.png

Realizing that there was no point trying to retake Oppeln against force twice as large after von Mecklenburg wasn't coming towards them anyways, the other Prussian force that had been coming to his aid withdrew from their attempt to break through at Oppeln.

1863oppeln.png

In midst of the war, Swizz felt they should try to make effort to make everyone fight less efficiently, err, in gentlemanly manner, with us holding the upper hand at this point, it was easy decision to take this opportunity to show the world our benevolence.

1863geneva.png

Theodor von Schönburg (son of Leopold) had chased the Prussian army withdrawing from Kattowitz to Bielsko, the rabble had scattered but the real troops had held together and would be chased across the countryside for a while more...

1863bielsko.png

In April, Wagner's V. Armee finally caught up with the army that had withdrawn from Oppeln, battle of Posen would see heavy Austrian losses as usual, but still a marginal victory, driving the Prussians deeper into defensive.

1863posen.png

In may, a Swedish army under Axel von Platen arrived to Oppeln via Russian Poland, achiving complete suprise against Leopold von Schönburgs IV. Armee. During the battle a lucky artillery shell hit the command post that, in hindsight, had been too close to the battle, killing Leopold, and with that Austrians were in disarray, losing the battle with heavy losses.

1863oppelnswe.png

During June first of Prussias minor allies began to seek peace settlements, either after losing their few regiments to Austrian armies, or after getting occupied by Austrias allies. The war was however, far from over, indeed, while II. Armee had been occupying Berlin, it's commander von Sablenz had been killed by a stray potplant from an upperfloor citizen, and arrival of Heinrich von Wrangels army to relieve Berlin found Austrian occupiers in at best, disorganized defense, I. Armee under Heinrich Schobber had been hurrying to their aid, but arrived late in battle unable to rally the II. Armee was forced to withdraw from Berlin.

1863berlin.png

It was starting to look as if Prussians were actually trying to kill the Austrian generals, for when von Wrangel next arrived in Kustrin, he found VI. Armee with it's leader, Helpach, having died earlier, and only arrival of Wagner's Fifth allowed for organized retreat of the VI. Armee.

1863kustrin.png

Last edited: