• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
a stray potplant

Austrian Generals getting killed by Prussian Biological Weapons :rofl:
Awesome :D

Thanks for your 5th chapter!

These Austrians seem very keen on Pyrrhic victories.

Alexspeed, I was getting quite frustrated by the attrition among my generals, is there actually (a lot) higher risk of losing them during a war?

Alfredian, we are at that, though I have naturally skipped over those minor victories where I sweep aside small groups of 3000-9000 soldiers as there was simply too many of those, trying to concentrate on battles that actually matter. I did now actually check and Prussians are ahead in light armament and army leadership, and behind in doctrine and military science.

And in hindsigh, I'll confess this was actually supposed to be rather easy war, it's mainly my fault this took as long as it did, I wasn't agressive enough hunting down the enemy with large enough force. Bit of learning experience still this game. But, you see, Western Prussia had been run over by rebels for few years at this point, I'm not sure if actually even noticed it at the time I was playing, but it's good reason not to have attacked the west at all at this point, so I suppose I might have noticed it. But ah, I somehow forgot to mention that in the aar so it's addentum here now.

Alexspeed, I was getting quite frustrated by the attrition among my generals, is there actually (a lot) higher risk of losing them during a war?

I dont think there is a higher risk if they are in battles (but there should be),
at least i didnt noticed anything like it in the games i played so far, and i didnt read anything about it,
but i am by no means an expert for game details like this.

I think every general has a random chance to die anytime,
tough i might be completly wrong with my assumptions.

Legacy of Metternich - Chapter Two times Three

Chapter Six

800pxgefechtzwischenkkh.jpg

With Swedish and Prussian forces constantly interfering with our peaceful occupations, it was clearly necessary to completely eliminate their presence before we could manage any lasting solution, thus after slight break to secure our current gains and reinforce our Armee's a bit, it was time to hunt them down mercilesly. The Swedish army operating in north eastern Prussia was, if possible, stronger of the two forces, even if their general gotten himself killed as well, the new one, Julius von Essen, wasn't quite equal to their previous leader. Theodor von Schönburg elected himself to to the job of hunting down the swedes that had killed his father, first engaging them in Deutch Krone, following their retreat through Kolberg to second battle of Kustrin, that was, finally, quite decisive...

1863bswedes.png

Meanwhile, the surviving Prussian army lead rest of Austrian army in a merry chase across northwestern Germany, from Stettin to Swinemunde, there on to Stralsund.
Dankl already though he'd manage to force the Prussians to surrender there, but a Mecklenburgian regiment secured their retreat to Schwerin. Dankl with some impressive manuevering Dankl managed to force them back to Stralsund, where the Prussian, finally completly surrounded fighting their back against the coast surrendered to Heinrich Schobber in December 1863.

1863bpruss.png

1863bpruss2.png

With after 6 month long negotiations the King Wilhelm I, who had been captured earlier in Berlin, finally conceded to harsh peace terms to avoid prolonged occupation, requiring Prussia to surrender Schlesien and Sigmaringen.

1864peace.png

In 1866, a funding was granted for Austrian expedition to find the source of the Nile, this would be beginning of Austrian activities within Egypt, though the development would be rather slow.

1866nile.png

Vienna, that always beautiful city, was still growing but that could not be allowed to destroy the beauty, indeed, the architechture of this era would rival that of the past palaces.

1866archi.png

800pxvotivkirchemaximil.jpg

Unfortunate consquence of the war was that we had been drawn into war with the north German minors as well, indeed, pushing them futher into Prussias arms, despite our victory and attempts to largely ignore them, we were seen as the enemy. To give appearance that Austria was supporting the German nationalism, and indeed, to maintain control over such movements, Francis Joseph declared that a parliament of South German Confederation under protecting wing of Austria, would be formed in Munich. Austria even seded Sigmaringen to this new entity, to show it's actual participation, while actually gaining by tying Bavaria, Württemberg and Baden much more strongly as part of the Austrian Empire, indeed, essentially removing them as independent entities.

1867sgconf.png

As Austrian goverment had still been strongly in favor of disunited Germany that they could dominate, such aproach could not be put through with them in power, thus Francis Joseph had reorganiced the goverment along more moderate lines, and indeed, even goverments hold on the industry was loosened some, leaving it more in the hands of market powers, while still maintaining partial goverment ownership.

1867party.png

Thanks for the Update, very nice! :)

Who formed the SGF? was it Bavaria?
and how? Rebels taking over or a decision?
And i thought Austria would be included in a SGF normally?

And i thought Austria would be included in a SGF normally?

Would only be possible for the Austrian parts, not for the others. The historical 'greater German solution' would mean a dual monarchy for Austria, or even a triple monarchy if it converts to Austria-Hungary.

Yea, I thought Austria would be included in SGF as well, alas, it is not. And yes, I formed it myself, having finally gotten Bavaria out of 8th Great Power spot (yes, South German Federation isn't (too) close to taking that spot, I think Bavaria had quite a bit of prestige, which did not get inherited so...). Only parts of Austria that become part of SGF are those that are
1. not Austrian Cores
2. have south german majority population (And I just realized, whew, Northern Italy was only ~35% South German at this time...)

Edit: actually, I'm bit shocked how far SGF falls in power, Bavaria had 52 prestige, 35 industry, 52 military for total 139; Baden had 126 prestige, 4 industry, Military 39. Ranks 14th and 12th just before forming the SGF...
Month after forming SGF, it has 6 prestige, 24 industry (! less than bavaria had alone?), 7 military (! where did the military pops go?) for rank ... 49
Well, it doesn't matter, it's now actually Austrian Satellite, so, I'm happy overall, maybe it's those liberal democrats that screwed the country over...

Last edited:
Thanks, this reminded me why half measures as SGF in Victoria 2 are not good. My game with Austria continued a series of humiliate on Prussia (or NGF) once I gained the military upper hand, smashing their prestige into the ground. This has the nice side-effect that their products are less likely to be bought on the world market. (from whom to buy is selected by, from what I gather, 0) sphere of influence 1) closest relations 2) prestige, and this can drive their industry not participating on the world market. I foresee two possibilities: A) They will manage to become self sufficient in everything (doesn't look like it, as they have no colonies), or B) their total collapse, allowing me (in the late game) to drive them from great power status, add them to my Shere of Influence, and make Germany. Yes it is 1890 and I'm actually planning forty years ahead here :)

It takes a while to create Germany with Austria indeed, getting Prussia out of top 8 is after all, harder than just making Austria bend far enough to steal the smaller south german states. I'm not sure if killing their prestige will be enough to kill their industry though, I'll be interested to hear how that goes, I felt it was necessary to keep stealing states so their industrial score would go down...

Edit: Still, SGF is pretty good deal, at least lot of nations tried to steal Baden and Bavaria from my sphere, not to mention them coming great powers on their own, SGF effectively cuts down amount of nations I need to influence. And I think I had lot less trouble keeping them in first place...

Legacy of Metternich - Intermission

Intermission​
Part I​

Now, I have skimmed lot the 'unimportant' stuff going on in Austrian empire lately, mostly because, well, things progress so slowly anyways, but let's have a look at the State of the Empire and rest of the world as well. This is May 1870, really, the 3 years skipped have little influence on matters, most boring stuff, only one minor uprising in Italy.

Perhaps, we shall start with rest of the world first...

The Great Powers, and their closest contender, Spain, not quite that close to Two Sicilies yet, but within shouting distance. The United Kingdom twice as strong as any of the next three, Russia, France and Austria, who are pretty much equal in strenght, though in all honesty, French have quite a strong Sphere to support them, possibly stronger than United Kingdoms. USA, Prussia and Ottomans follow, not quite that close to each other, and will probably stay there for quite a while yet.

1869diplo.png

So, let's look at things on map then.

In Europe, we find that French have taken a chunk of Spain before adding them to their Sphere, and that, indeed, French control the western Europe quite totally. Austria has cut the Prussian sphere in half, but hasn't actually gained any of the minors since last update (Truce, sigh.). Ottomans have taken Austrias southern border minors into their sphere (finally, took them long enough). Russia has left Europe largely alone, though they do have Sweden in their sphere. Two Sicielies is trying to get other Italian states to join it, but Austria and France don't like the idea all that much and still hold their old influences in Italy. Portugal and Denmark remain outside influence of any of the Great Powers, rest of europe is under sway of one or the other.

1869europe.png

Downwards to Africa, Morocco has been split with Portugal, Netherlands and Spain, French have taken much of Algeria, and indeed, this is now also in French Sphere, ex Portugal. Egypt has lost some of it's territory to Ottomans and Ethiopia, but stil remains relatively strong.

1869nafrica.png

In southern Africa, I doubt there's much worth noting here, French Madagascar perhaps.

1869safrica.png

And then Eastwards, to Asia. Funny note would be Tibetans having taken part of Bhutan, for the rest, British are dominating India, China has expanded a bit westwards, but that's it.

1869asia.png

In North America, we find the only war currently in progress, The USA against CSA and Mexico, who apparently realized CSA is better neighbor than USA and signed an alliance. (Yes, CSA and USA have been in peace once already, this is their second war, I think.)

1869narmerica.png

South America then, few changes here, British have taken over Dutch Guyana. Bit to south, Brazil and Argentina have beaten up Bolivia, Paraguay and Chile, hard. I think only Columbia (USA) and Brazil (France) are in anyones sphere at this time.

1869nsamerica.png

1869samerica.png

More on domestic situation, some time in future.

Aye, russians enjoy their 'bit warmer' american resort.

Very nice Intermission, thank you for that, its always interresting to see what happens outside of the space the nation of the AAR covers :)

An AAR with Austria? Detailed description of combat tactics that still elude my poor addled mind? A Russian presence in Oregon (just as planned)? This looks wonderful! I'm a bit late, but mind if I follow along and ask a few questions - specifically, is the SGF your client state, and will you get a chance to incorporate all or some of it over time? Even if you choose to remain as Austria, I can see the Austrians retaking Sigmaringen, at least.

Yes, SGF formed as Austrian Satellite (and in sphere), but alas, the only way that I know of to incorporate them into Austria is to form the greater German Empire. I don't think I'll be attacking them to reclaim any parts of it, at least in the near future relations with them are quite warm. Even though I forgot to ally them straight away, that will be fixed soon enough.

Legacy of Metternich - Intermission

Intermission
Part II

Ok, we have done the foreigners, so how does the Austria itself look like in 1870?

Let's start with those factories, yes, industrialization is progressing quite well indeed, still focused outside the 'core' Austria. Siebenburgen glass and cement factories are actually getting huge at this point. Explosives, small arms and fetrilizer are not really selling all that well, but for now, we'll let them produce, maybe we'll find use for them, besides, rest of the industry can cover such small losses still, and we better keep everyone employed.

1868ind1.png

1868ind2.png

1868ind3.png

Taxes then, are quite heavy, but we still ain't very efficient in collecting them, so most of our people are doing quite well for themselves, perhaps even bit too well. Literacy has gone up a bit, research is going ahead at good speed for the time.
Overall, we are still mainly agrarian and basic goods producing society, but at least more people are already employed at factories than as artisans. Also, bit under half of our population now considers themselves as proper Austrians. And lot of them are against military, oh well, bit more on our people closer in the next shots...

1868budpop.png

Our factory workers are all South German, this is rather suprising, but well, I guess it's the hiring policy of capitalists that causes this.. err. positive discrimination.

1868lowclass.png

Middleclass next, hmm, clercs are south german, just like the craftsmen, no suprise here. North Germans have apparently taken over the bureacrasy, sigh. And if lower classes are conservative, middleclass has clearly gone very liberal.

1868middlecl.png

Most of Officers are South German, this is due to continously shooting all officers of minority nationalities that speak out of turn, too risky to leave them alive after all.
Weirdly almost 20% of our soldiers want to cut their own wages, well, never said soldier needs to be smart. Or I suppose they are just those ones that complain about everything and surveyer ended up with this result..

1868miliclass.png

Upperclass, well, no suprises here, only Germans have been allowed to become capitalists, which, as noted, has affected the hiring practises as well.

1868upperpop.png

Technology overview, read what you will into it, Navy obviously has been very secondary consideration, improvements in research and industry have been prioritised and we are currently seeking to increase our influce over North Germany.

1868tech.png

Production wise, we are importing all our coffee, tea, tobacco, dyes, tropical wood and, uh opium. There's been some talk of acquiring colonies producing these goods, but it's never gone past talk. Also, our fabric industry has far overgrown our minuscule cotton production, for now, this hasn't been problem, but we dread the time when there is no longer need for sails...

1868production.png

Whew, that done, let's get back to the proper topic, like war or something, if I did not cover some aspect of Austria in this ton of images, do ask, I'm sure I can dig somewhat accurate information form somewhere

Really informative intermission. Thanks for all the effort.

Do you have any strategic goals outside of Germany?

*dreams of GrossDeutschland*

Nice AAR. :)

Keep the good work!