if VIC3 is announced would people want a "transfer to hoi4" button?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You mean, like a savegame converter?

Definitely. After all, Victoria ends on the exact same day that HoI4 begins.

But what will happen to focus trees then?

I don't think many people would actually 'press' that button. Balance is everything in strategy games; scenarios and mods invest a lot in this... and a simple transfer would create a very unbalanced situation.

Honestly, I'd rather they placed those resources in other features, or more content.

I don't think many people would actually 'press' that button. Balance is everything in strategy games; scenarios and mods invest a lot in this... and a simple transfer would create a very unbalanced situation.

Honestly, I'd rather they placed those resources in other features, or more content.

True. There is still the CK2->EU4 Converter.

But a Mod will do.

Im still waiting on a HOI -> Stellaris converter.

If you did everything right, you get a few more resources on your tiles, as well as your ethics.

Seriously, how hard would it be to do a little thing like that?

True. There is still the CK2->EU4 Converter.

But a Mod will do.
I get the impression that the CK2==>EU4 converter ended up taking a lot more dev time than anticipated (both to create and more importantly to maintain, as it has to be updated basically whenever either of those two games gets a significant patch). I wouldn't rule out a modder creating one at some point (a la the EU==>V2 ones), but I doubt Paradox will do an official converter ever again.

And as other people have noted, focus trees would be a nightmare to deal with, unless you give literally everyone a generic tree. At least with CK2 to EU, you can associate cultures with NIs, and it doesn't matter if e.g. "England" or "Jerusalem" has managed to migrate into Italy and now also rules scattered counties in France and Russia. You can't even do things like "give Germany the German focus tree," because what happens to e.g. "Danzig or War" if Germany already controls Danzig, Poland doesn't exist, and Germany is ruled by Anarcho-Liberals? You'd have to create alternate approaches for every conceivable combination of province ownerships, and that would be an impractically large time sink for something relatively few people will ever play.

Yes, the ultimate mega-campaign is still the dream.

Afaik PDX already said that the CKII->EUIV converter was one of their biggest mistakes, so I guess it's rather unlikely they'll do something similar again. Ever.

There are however mods which convert games from EU IV to Vic II and from Vic II to HoI IV (I used both). And I guess there will be mods to do the same with Vic III when (I'm not saying "if") it comes.

A lot would, to be sure, but I'm not sure it would be good. I mean, the games are all about balance. And when the player finishes a game, usually he's the first world power. And HoI4 is already very easy (and to be honest it's not good, Darkest Hour was far better), so for instance an industrialized China which would've conquered all of Asia in HoI4 would be OP and destroy everyone without any difficulty. For the CK2 -> EU4 conversion, a lot of people, to still have challenge, chose to play another country to fight against the one they were playing in the previous game.

And HoI4 is too much around tree focuses for the conversion to be effective.

there would be a EU4-V3 converter. idk how a V3-HOI4 converter would go- for example how to task an AI to try and set up a kaiserreich-esqe scenario?

No one converts their games to keep the balance. It's just to keep the story going and see how long you can go for. Sure, updating between the games will be a hassle and a real issue, but in regards to what the balance is; it shouldn't matter so long as it is playable.

I will ignore that.

To play a Gaelic tribe from 303BC until the release of I love Lucy? Sign me up!

Edit - that means we need an imperial Rome plus a migrations era bookmark/game. ;)

I would to see once Vic 3 is released and there is a converter from V3 > HOI4, maybe they'll make a newer game for current day... Or just make a converter for the Millennium Dawn mod, which would be insanely awesome to see.