if VIC3 is announced would people want a "transfer to hoi4" button?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have never understood the appeal of these massive campaigns covering all of history some people seem to crave.

Anyway: There really is no way to translate the end game state of a Victoria campaign to HoI4 in any detail. I mean: how do you propose they do it? No doubt you will concede that it would have to be a very superficial convertion, with all countries having generic focuses and (in many cases) generic leaders. Ideologies, political composition and industrial capacity could no doubt be done in some way, but the flavour of the world would be missing. And without focuses driving the flow of the game, what kind of conflict would this game really portray?

Never understood this urge. I can hardly even get myself to finish a game of eu4. Surely if you continue a campaign through several games you would own the entire map by the time you've finished eu4?

I have never understood the appeal of these massive campaigns covering all of history some people seem to crave.

I'll admit, it's not for everyone. If you power-game or go on a massive world-conquest, then yeah it might be quite pointless. For those who either role-play or play in a way to shape the world and see how their Count of Vermandois is doing in the 20th century, it's a really awesome experience.

I think it sounds nice, but the thing is that I only did 3 or 4 megacampains til now (CK2 -> V2) but ultimately it was always kinda boring. Converter-generated worlds have too many flaws, and they are paradoxically too generic. And there are two many lengths - 2-3 useless centuries for CK2, and since you already have a strong empire when you convert to EU4, it's the same thing in EU4. In V2 the world is divided between several big superpowers and it's just extremely boring from the start.

So for me it's one of those cases where the very idea/perspective of being able to do it, or to imagine it, is vastly superior to the feature itself. It's a bit like how people tell themselves stories about their space empire in Stellaris or decide to conquer the whole world in EU4. Maybe you'll have fun doing it once, but generally you'll need to force yourself, and share it on social media to have a sense of accomplishment. You don't really enjoy it.

How many people here can say that they already did fill megacampains and enjoyed every part of it? Or even enjoyed it globally? I personally have much more fun in Paradox game when I pick/create a country on the map, then decide to see what happens or set my own goals... only to leave the game once nothing interesting will/can happen. I can't deny I enjoyed converting my CK2 Yazidi Malian game to EU4 and then to V2, or the one where I formed the Zuni empire in CK2 (was kinda proud of that one since it was Ironman), but even if I have nice memories, I also remember needing to wait for eons while doing something else. And what did I get in the end? Some screenshots few people looked at, a bit of satisfaction... In v2 it doesn't really offer interesting stuff to do. I literally forced myself to play just to have my own personal empire in the game...

So ultimately, I don't think that making a converter is really worth it, even for the players. And for the devs it sounds like a waste of time and ressources. But what would be nice are a random world generator or at least a "nation customizer".

But what will happen to focus trees then?
There are many gameplay elements from CK2 that aren't translated to EU4 with the converter. If such a converter is officially supported you can be sure lots of EU4 stuff will not be translated into Vicky3, and also that some stuff will be generated in Vicky3 (like political parties or whatever features V3 has).

So ultimately, I don't think that making a converter is really worth it, even for the players. And for the devs it sounds like a waste of time and ressources. But what would be nice are a random world generator or at least a "nation customizer".

The random world generator for CK2 and/or EU IV has been my dream since they made the random new world generator. I didn't use it, not because I didn't like the idea of a random new world, but because I thought it was dumb that the new world was different but the old world was exactly the same.

The random world generator for CK2 and/or EU IV has been my dream since they made the random new world generator. I didn't use it, not because I didn't like the idea of a random new world, but because I thought it was dumb that the new world was different but the old world was exactly the same.

lol well clearly you never quite understood what NEW world meant XDD

I think it sounds nice, but the thing is that I only did 3 or 4 megacampains til now (CK2 -> V2) but ultimately it was always kinda boring. Converter-generated worlds have too many flaws, and they are paradoxically too generic. And there are two many lengths - 2-3 useless centuries for CK2, and since you already have a strong empire when you convert to EU4, it's the same thing in EU4. In V2 the world is divided between several big superpowers and it's just extremely boring from the start.

So for me it's one of those cases where the very idea/perspective of being able to do it, or to imagine it, is vastly superior to the feature itself. It's a bit like how people tell themselves stories about their space empire in Stellaris or decide to conquer the whole world in EU4. Maybe you'll have fun doing it once, but generally you'll need to force yourself, and share it on social media to have a sense of accomplishment. You don't really enjoy it.

How many people here can say that they already did fill megacampains and enjoyed every part of it? Or even enjoyed it globally? I personally have much more fun in Paradox game when I pick/create a country on the map, then decide to see what happens or set my own goals... only to leave the game once nothing interesting will/can happen. I can't deny I enjoyed converting my CK2 Yazidi Malian game to EU4 and then to V2, or the one where I formed the Zuni empire in CK2 (was kinda proud of that one since it was Ironman), but even if I have nice memories, I also remember needing to wait for eons while doing something else. And what did I get in the end? Some screenshots few people looked at, a bit of satisfaction... In v2 it doesn't really offer interesting stuff to do. I literally forced myself to play just to have my own personal empire in the game...

There are many gameplay elements from CK2 that aren't translated to EU4 with the converter. If such a converter is officially supported you can be sure lots of EU4 stuff will not be translated into Vicky3, and also that some stuff will be generated in Vicky3 (like political parties or whatever features V3 has).

How was Zuni handled in Vic2? Just pagan or made the converter mod the religion in Vic2?

A Vicky > HOI converter is probably the only thing that would get me to buy HOI4.

Just my personal preference of course, but having played past HOI games, I have no desire to replay the same war over and over again. Being able to fight wars based on the alternate history created by Vicky would inject some freshness into this. I also think that Vicky is better suited to conversion than other games, as it has a relatively short timeframe (I do actually *finish* most of my V2 campaigns, unlike CK or EU) and isn't quite as focused on map painting if you don't want to.

However I think the observations about HOI4 being too reliant on the scripted scenario in place at game start are correct; a converted game would be lacking flavour. My ideal would be for PDX to create a more economic-focused 20th century game, and have Vicky convert into *that*, but that's probably a pipe dream.

In the name of the GRANT OT CAMPAGONS WE MUST HAVE CONVERTERS.
Seriously the ot has multiplayer mega campagins.

Just my personal preference of course, but having played past HOI games, I have no desire to replay the same war over and over again. Being able to fight wars based on the alternate history created by Vicky would inject some freshness into this.
The funny thing is that in the HoI IV forum there are many and frequent complains about HoI IV being "fantasy alt-history".

HoI IV is not the WWII reenactment game the previous iterations were. It's more like a GSG in a WWII setting. The focus of the game is of course war. You won't have much fun playing a peaceful game of HoI IV.
But it's not "the same war over and over again". Especially if you play different countries for different goals.

Well converting wouldnt be hard since they’ll probably dumb-down the game quite a lot.

Imagine there’s only two factory types one producing “goods” and other one producing “baddie goods”(used for small arms equipmemt etc) which are the only produced things in game. :D

Easy to convert to civillian and military factories

Would I want a converter? Yes
Would I ever use it? Unlikely
Would I consider time spent maintaining it worth allowing an additional bug to exist in either game? Not really....

So maybe once all other functional changes have been made to both games?

Me, before working for Paradox: Sure, that sounds awesome!
Me, after I started at Paradox: oh God no please God no, please no

I suspect a significant percentage of Groogy's alcohol intake can directly be linked to the CKII-> EU4 converter.

Me, before working for Paradox: Sure, that sounds awesome!
Me, after I started at Paradox: oh God no please God no, please no

I suspect a significant percentage of Groogy's alcohol intake can directly be linked to the CKII-> EU4 converter.

LOL.
Gary_Bussey_2017.jpg

to be fair though with CK2 to EU4 there's a **** ton more variables on both sides to take into account what with religions, cultures and so on. with V3 to HOI 4 its likely less on both sides, but especially on HOIs' side as many things are ignored or abstracted.

Ten+ years ago, I remember reading a blog (I think?) entry of some guy doing a mega-campaign in a heavily-modded CK->EUIII->Vic->HoI2 environment. Guy took this one small European noble family and created a 20th-century world power by the end. Even though I was at that point unfamiliar with all those games except for HoI2, it was an amazing read and my interest on the other franchises was planted.

Ten+ years ago, I remember reading a blog (I think?) entry of some guy doing a mega-campaign in a heavily-modded CK->EUIII->Vic->HoI2 environment. Guy took this one small European noble family and created a 20th-century world power by the end. Even though I was at that point unfamiliar with all those games except for HoI2, it was an amazing read and my interest on the other franchises was planted.

Sounds like Wiz.

Sorry for stupid questions...

I've seen megacampaigns where from Victoria 2 the savegame converted to HOI4.

But I wonder about the ideologies and national focuses.

What National focuses does the countries get from the converted savegame? And how does the country ideologies decided?