• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have not done much campaigning in Russia myself (I usually play central European nations and my expansion is nowhere near as fast s yours has been), but I am currently playing a Teutonic Order Game and have conquered all the Russian states and I have seen how horrendous the attrition is. I myself do something close to what you suggested. My average army size is 18,000 and is composed 6/6/6. While I have found that artillery slows me down, it does not slow me down enough to allow my enemy to escape me and I can still ping pong effectively. In my numerous wars with France, I ping ponged into extinction the larger stacks and then, once they no longer had a stack that was larger then 6,000 men, I left the armies alone and simply focused on sieges. I noticed that with the addition of artillery, even with my crap generals, I was able to completely destroy stacks as large as a 6,000 man stack in one go. You will inflict massive casualties if you include artillery in your armies. This is made especially true due to the fact that the AI, at least as far as I have seen, rarely creates large numbers of artillery. That means you will have the most well balanced army and the largest artillery force in the world most likely.

As long as 1 Mongol > 100 Scots, they're fine...

perhaps after march break dear morning. i'm swamped at work, and the girl just wont let me take a break.
another addition to: how the world was ruined.
i have a theory for global warming based on this AAR. a scotsman, decided to use coal to heat up sugar, thus speeding its fermenting time. he discovered then, that heat created more alcohol. so, industrial revolution, ka-ching, alcohol = coal burning = carbon = global warming.

Scots killing Scots? Wow - it's just like most of our glorious history :)

No one can fight Scots like another Scot. Kinda like the Irish. :)

The mongols are coming to battle the scots...like you see that everyday on the alternate history channel. Keep up the good work! (in a Scottish sort of way of course)

I'm suddenly imagining an alternate history where R. Lee Ermey wears a kilt, and it's scaring me.

Thanks hugely for the replies!

History_Buff - I'll certainly attempt some experiments with artillery. Perhaps putting them into their own units, so as to stop them from slowing everyone else, could be an option (I ever love gaining the defensive position against a routed enemy force).

naggy - That is indeed the cause for concern in Scotland. One Mongol is easily the match for thousands of Scotsmen. Thankfully for bumbling Scottish armies, but sadly for the rest of the world, there are some hills nearby!

A belated congratulations on being named Fan of the Week, very much deserved.

Kingawsomeness - Not to mention Scottish flatulence adding to global warming due to non-stop eating!

MadImmortalMan - I'd never heard of the song or either artist before!

loki100 - The revolts are indeed a pain, I'm planning to take a few steps to hopefully make things a bit better. However if lands conquered by Scotland did not revolt, I'd be very, very worried.

Iain Wilson - Its the only way a Scot can gain victory, against a fellow Scot. With such logic I propose that Scotland only play against a Scottish reserve side in all future sporting international matches. We'd actually win for once! ...whilst still losing.

blsteen - Thank you kindly (bribe in the post!). As if I could play this game in any other way but the Scottish fashion (i.e. with massive incompetence).

Sybot - Yes it was a true worry, until a few drunken oaf-like Scottish soldiers tripped over there own feet on top of a hill. The poor Mongol forces...pancakes, anyone?

Scottish citizens remain mortally afraid of the Mongol threat, whilst fearing even more the incompetence of their own army. Thankfully some good news comes through.

On the 5th April 1543 the Maya accept full annexation.

June 1543 witnesses a new national idea for Scotland - Humanist Tolerance. As the empire is going to spread ever further into non-Christian lands, any measure which helps with revolt risk is to be desperately wished for. Scottish children are taught to stop attacking non-Scots simply due to religious reasons. Instead they are made to take up heavy drinking all the earlier. Everyone is your friend when sozzled.

Disaster once more!

UP32catalanescape.jpg

Those chains are simply not strong enough. They need be strengthened further to make sure 'willing citizens' remain a clear part of Scotland's population.

On the 14th June 1544 Khiva accepts full annexation.

Unsurprisingly it has quickly become accepted as a good idea to choose to do the opposite of anything Scotland does.

UP31cathdoomed.jpg

The Catholic faith is thus suffering with Scotland as its main representative.

On the 7th March 1545 Bulgaria accepts full annexation. Brave Bulgarian rebels fought the brutal and tyrannical rule of the Ottomans for years before finally gaining independance...for all of a few months.

On the 27th December 1545 Khorasan accepts full annexation.

War continues on several fronts. Inroads are made into India with the defeat of the powerful Gujarat. The usual policy of attempting to split a country via a peace deal has been achieved.

UP32Gujaratpeace.jpg

On the 14th August 1547 Hausa accepts full annexation. The African nation had been left until now due to their close similarity in spelling to The Hansa. Annexation was only contemplated once over 100,000 Scots were stationed in land bordering the nation. No chances are taken with anything Hansa related.

Having gained large tracts of land from Gujarat, the rest of India is left to gawp in awe and wonder at the massive quantities of tat which begin to be traded within her lands.

UP32Indiantrade.jpg

Faux realistic tartan talking haggis, anyone?

Scotland is eminently a country of numpties. However it seems most of the rest of the world is also...

UP32kingruthless.jpg

It has taken people this long to realise Scotland is led by a ruthless powermonger?! Granted this is very innaccurate, 'ruthless powermonger' need be changed to 'inept alcoholic somehow bumbling his way to victory'.

On the 2nd November 1548 Chagatai accepts full annexation.

Scottish troops are growing nostalgic. A number of small nations have been annexed recently, but they desperately wish to return to the good old days of being trounced by a European power. Scandinavia can surely oblige.

UP32ScandDOW.jpg

Yes, Scotland excommunicated Scandinavia. The poor Pope has evidently turned to alcohol after decades of control by Scotland.

Scandinavia's small army is nonetheless boosted by considerably higher land technology. Plus, as ever, Scottish forces are comprised of blundering, inept Scots. No war is a foregone conclusion when Scotland is concerned. Well actually it usually is...that foregone conclusion being a Scottish defeat.

Can Scandinavia's technologically advanced armies triumph? Will a brave nation finally defeat the perfidious Scots? Can this horrible AAR be brought to an end?

UP32Scandpeace.jpg

That would be a no then.

A few OPM were left alive in Europe in order to give an excuse for quick, successive wars against the current Holy Roman Emperor. Scotland showing consummate chivalry in her non-stop attacks on a broken Scandinavia.

UP32FrieslandDOW.jpg

Friesland fufils her role.

On the 23rd September 1552 Kongo accepts full annexation.

October 1552 witnesses the coronation of a new King.

UP32newking.jpg

The oppressed people of the Scottish Empire are getting ever more worried. Stuart kings are proving more and more competent with each monarch. Something horrible must be about to befall Scotland.

On the 7th April 1553 Friesland accepts full annexation.

The massively weakened Scandinavia cedes large tracts of land a mere two days later.

On the 14th April 1553 Sibir accepts full annexation.

With Scandinavia now dealt with, there remain only a few major nations bordering Scotland. One which had been left until now due to the fears of high attrition causing massive war exhaustion once again is The Mamluks. An even greater fear of course being sun burn for the predominantly ginger haired Scottish army.

UP32Mamlukslarge.jpg

The people of Scotland still cower in fear when retelling, in shocked tones, the horrific wars between Scotland and The Mamluks of earlier years. All those white peaces wherein no battles took place. Scottish men remained at home hindering their country, rather than their being out of the way getting stabbed by enemies! It is thus filled with dread that war is declared...

UP32MamluksDOW.jpg

Sun tan lotion prices rocket in centers of trade throughout the world.

oh its exponentially increasing. surely the hansa will liberate its close freinds Hausa? perhaps your uncored lands will simply stop caring and drink? PERHAPS, the japanese are going to launch a surprise amphibious assault on Glasgow! OH NOES!

oh its exponentially increasing. surely the hansa will liberate its close freinds Hausa? perhaps your uncored lands will simply stop caring and drink? PERHAPS, the japanese are going to launch a surprise amphibious assault on Glasgow! OH NOES!

I think if anyone invades Glasgow they need to rethink their strategy... Taking control of Glasgow would probably lose a war...

fine, paris then. D-day anyone? swahili invades!

Thanks hugely for the replies!

loki100 - China shall be painted yellow soon! However mounting an attack on them whilst the nefarious Hansa were still alive seemed too foolhardy, thus in this update the stage is set...

Keinwyn - It is definetly still growing! Must reach higher score...

blsteen - Alas it seems five figures is beyond my grasp during this game!

Kingawsomeness - The greatest worry has to be The Hansa, they are finally dealt with!

The Scottish nation waits with bated breath. Will The Mamluks be able to stop Scotland's rampage? Or will this prove to be another non-dramatic, boring 'war' alike years ago?

UP33Mamlukssmacked.jpg

The latter then.

Sadly The Mamluks lower land technology allied with Scotland's massive superiority in numbers make a mockery of this being any kind of a challenging war. Or rather, it should do, but as it is bumbling and inept Scottish soldiers doing the fighting (or rather, the sitting about outside enemy cities waiting for the pubs to open), there is a major challenge in attempting to keep attrition low.

On the 7th January 1555 Kashmir accepts full annexation.

The Stuart family continue to give Scotland a good name.

UP33Stuartpowa.jpg

Execution?! Such ineptness marks this man down for future brilliance. He is swiftly promoted to head the army.

The Mamluks have been so embarrassed at having lost to Scotland, that Yemen is able to gain a significant peace deal from them.

Peace is soon agreed.

UP33Mamlukspeace.jpg

The formerly stranded Scottish soldiers in Tripoli are no doubt overjoyed to be connected to Scotland once more via a land route. They show this joy by asking for another overseas posting...as far away as possible.

For some reason The Mamluks think it a good idea to move their capital.

UP33capmove.jpg

Surely being surrounded on all sides by a sea of yellow is desirable. At least you can be sure that your neighbour is ever your inferior.

Jerusalem is now in Catholic hands once again!

UP33Jerusalem.jpg

Admittedly in the hands of a repeatedly excommunicated, Pope annexing nation but a Christian one nonetheless. The people of Jerusalem show their gratitude by promptly revolting.

On the 12th September 1555 Ethiopia accepts full annexation.

Although annexation screenshots have not been shown as much on this thread recently (there would be little else in updates if they were...which would admittedly be a considerable improvement), this one need be included.

UP33byeMusc.jpg

Muscowy was probably the last nation to cause any difficulty for Scotland. Indeed she probably will prove to the be the last one able to. The crippling war exhaustion ran up due to Scottish ineptness, from fighting Muscowy, made the following years hugely vexing due to the massive amounts of revolts.

On the 9th February 1556 Persia accepts full annexation.

On the 15th February 1556 the Mongol Khanate accepts full annexation.

Yet another nationality escapes from accepted Scottish culture.

UP33Castgone.jpg

The Scottish culture means to drink anything remotely alcoholic and then eat something deep fried and halfway edible before throwing up over someones doorstep. Oh and prove horribly terrible at every sport. It remains a shock as to why Castilians have cut their links to Scotland.

Evidently Scotland need refine her culture, before all links to more learned and sophsiticated nations are lost (i.e. every other nation).

On the 10th April 1556 the Timurids accept full annexation.

On the 22nd February 1558 Gujarat accepts full annexation.

A truly miraculous event occurs in March 1558.

UP33over-egone.jpg

Seemingly the Scottish government recruited some halfway competent, non-corrupt officials. Demands for their immediate sacking are heard throughout the empire.

On the 9th March 1558 Karaman accepts full annexation.

On the 31rst October 1558 Tripoli accepts full annexation.

On the 18th April 1559 Scotland's longtime nemesis The Hansa is finally annexed!

UP33Hansaannex.jpg

Frantic fighting had ensued between Scotland and The Hansa during this epic war. Scottish casualties were horrendous, two soldiers got food poisoning from mouldy Mars bars. Scotland would have rather avoided fighting with the ridiculously powerful Hansa entirely, but the threat of a Statthalter naggy arising to power remained far too worrying.

Upon final annexation Scots rejoice in the streets by not murdering, cheating and insulting each other quite as much as usual...for five minutes. Final revenge for Orkney at last.

On the 2nd of September 1559 Kurland accepts full annexation. All of Europe is nearing Scottish domination.

On the 27th October 1559 Moldavia accepts full annexation. Europe teeters ever closer to the abyss.

Jimmy McBond pulls a few strings and has his close friend Ian Fleming recruited as a general.

UP33Fleming.jpg

None can stand in Scotland's way with such powerful 007 connections.

On the 12th April 1560 Baluchistan accepts full annexation.

On the 27th August 1560 the Ottomans accept full annexation. Yet another former-super power has fallen. Truly it seems Scotland is destined to ruin world.

On the 28th January 1561 Cyprus accepts full annexation. Hope for Europe is ever dwindling.

Scottish attempts at making her culture seem more sophisticated seem to have failed.

UP33Engescape.jpg

This was despite Scottish citizens actually using cutlery when eating (sometimes), no longer drinking paint stripper and now throwing up over their own doorsteps.

Yet another enthralling update replete with poor spelling, grammar, horrible attempts at humour and no drama whatsoever draws to a close. Thankfully the end is in sight.

Last edited: