• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The benefits go to who control a SINGLE province with the SR or an entire REGION with the SR?

single atm, the benefit of multiple is being safer from bad infrastructure or sabotage/bombing etc and keeping them away from other factions

Will there be multiple instances of each/some of the resources (i.e. will there be 5 Aluminum)? If so will there be a cumulative impact of having more than 1? So if I have all the world's major Aluminum resources such that I am using it for coinage that I get a greater benefit?

And how about those neutrals? You say they will not receive any money in exchange of sharing strategic resources with faction members. So will they get some other bonuses apart from money (i.e. decreased diplomatic cost for regular trade agreements with that faction country etc.)?

Second question relates to the fact that for Axis countries, both must have a capital on the same continent to be able to share SR. But how about a possibility, when German and Japanese forces link up in India, thus establishing a land connection between the two, or what if Axis navies would control oceans as Allies did in real?

Will there be multiple instances of each/some of the resources (i.e. will there be 5 Aluminum)? If so will there be a cumulative impact of having more than 1? So if I have all the world's major Aluminum resources such that I am using it for coinage that I get a greater benefit?

No, you'll just be safer from having your Aluminum bonus cut off by one of your provinces being lost/bombed.

Sorry if a little out of topic,

If we talk about strategic ressources, is the Bosphor Bug planned to be fixed to help Axis to get supply/ressources from middle east ?

Regards and thanks for all the work/time spend to keep us informed.

Seperate cav and inf tech is entirely WAD and will not be changed.
Would you mind telling us why you think this is correct? If I interpred the research system correctly, it means that you basically have research pretty much the same weapons all over again, just for a different branch. This doesn't sound very realistic to me. May be I'm missing a abstraction here?

podcat said:
If a faction member controls a resource then all major faction members (countries with large IC) receive the bonus in addition to the owner. I know this creates a strange quirk that Japan and
Germany share resources, so we have added a special rule for the Axis where they only share if the capitals are on the same continent.

Am I correct to assume that with this rule in place, Japan will never ever benefit of the strategic resources of literally any other country, even if the Axis control the world? Say the Axis managed to beat Russia and do have a land connection, the bonus will still not be shared with Japan?

Since singular provinces are now even more important and since you pointed out that bombing provinces can deprive the enemy of a strategic resource for a short time, will you work on AA and static AA, too? I believe you are aware that neither of those actually manage to inflict lots of damage to planes currently.

Off-Topic, related to dynamic events: Do you consider implementing a way to donate equipment to newly release puppets, eg at the cost of some money and supplies?

No, you'll just be safer from having your Aluminum bonus cut off by one of your provinces being lost/bombed.

So either I have a strategic resource, or I have not? Accessing further provinces with a specific resource (say uranium) will not net met any more benefit?

So either I have a strategic resource, or I have not? Accessing further provinces with a specific resource (say uranium) will not net met any more benefit?

Well, unless your first one gets bombed, then no, from the looks of it.

Well, unless your first one gets bombed, then no, from the looks of it.

Seems right... I mean, if I have 1, 2 or 3 uranium provinces, it would make no difference. But if all those are blown to smithereens = no benefit.

Will AAA be finally fixed so that strategic bombing DONT destroy lvl 10 AAA in just a few hours?

Will current naval combat system be fixed (subs acting like surface ships, CVs invincible againt subs etc.).

About this strategic resources having effect on combat. The Germans had trouble producing high quality avation fuel for their fighters due to a high synthetic content, which is said to often have had about a 5% impact on performance. This meant that they actually had to produce a better performing machine just to be on par.

About food, I also think consumer goods covers this, we consume food don't we? Go figure. I actually experimented with changing the civil laws into a rationing system, with relevant penalties and bonus.

This strategic resources thing is welcome, but does not cover a much more important aspect that has not yet been tackled by the devs. That is war material and equipment. The records of what was shipped to the United Kingdom and the Soviet union under lend lease give a very clear picture of the kind of needs and shortages those countries were facing and what they were importing in order to be able to survive, so PI would do well to try to represent this aspect because it would greatly increase the importance of the U-Boat war in the game etc (unless it is TBA in a future DD).

Re: the OP. It states that this will add more depth without adding complexitiy. I actually find some aspects to be too simplistic, so a little more complexitiy in planning, government and management would actually be very welcome. Of course it would need an automation option for the lazy/less patient gamers :)

Last edited:
Will there be any penalty for not having a resource, or just lack of bonus?

Sounds a good addition.

Is there (currently or planned in FTM) any bonus for grouping factories together? I tend to spread my factories over many provinces as Germany and see how much of the map I can fill with factories as the US, but it would be interesting if you got a bonus for having say 10 factories in one province - perhaps a free 11th factory to simulate the Ruhr, the Midlands etc and make defending against strategic bombing more important. And is there any penalty or bonus for having factories in low and high infrastructure provinces? Perhaps a multiplier to make placing them in better infra provinces would be good too? (If its not already available)

I approve. if I remember correctly, it was the UK's raid on Norway's hard water plants that prompted Hitler to issue a standing order to kill commando's on sight, regardless of circumstance. so, yeah, it woulde be imprtant.
off-topic: we had uranium back then? now I know why the Belgium government put up with Mobutu's ego for so long...Maybe belgium could have the first nuke in history;LOL.

Is there (currently or planned in FTM) any bonus for grouping factories together? I tend to spread my factories over many provinces as Germany and see how much of the map I can fill with factories as the US, but it would be interesting if you got a bonus for having say 10 factories in one province - perhaps a free 11th factory to simulate the Ruhr, the Midlands etc and make defending against strategic bombing more important. And is there any penalty or bonus for having factories in low and high infrastructure provinces? Perhaps a multiplier to make placing them in better infra provinces would be good too? (If its not already available)
This. Building IC in Congo should not give the same benefits as building IC in Paris.

BTW will improving the infrastructure increase the strategic resource "output"?

no, thats abstracted away. We want these resources to be more about diplomatic influence and actually conquering territory other than a way to make money. You will still be trading with rare materials etc the regular way for money though.

okay.. so do minor countries with strategic resources get anything out of it, other than the bonus itself?

also, can they be turned off? (strange question, I wouldn't need it, but just curious)

Hi!
Great news! I really like this direction!
I'll translate it soon for the german forum section.

Some thoughts about "possibilities".

So it is fully modable also includes the adding of new SR?
(Just in case ~15 are not enough for some of us..) :D

The SR's give "just" a modifier bound to some other value like production or SA/HA/Def/tough?
And the SR's are not a value that decreases or raises like metal or coal and we could not stockpile them?

Would it not be nice to have it like steel or coal? So you would know(maybe with spy missions..) That the enemy is not only short on supply but also short on Aluminium and that cripples his plane production in x month..?
So not only Diplomacy would raise in importance but Espionage too!

Same for uran and such. "Ahh, he has not such stuff(or not enough!), So I don't need to rush my own research in this field!" ??

Or you would think, dammed, I run short on this or that, I have to get access to it soon or...

Also it would be able to trade this stuff and deliver it to countries not on my own continent, like Germany giving Japan some stuff via submarines.
(German trading submarine of WW1 comes to mind too..)

And other nations could still deny this trades with force and just sink the convoys..

On the other side you would be pretty much like to secure these important convois!
"I have to secure these convoys with loads of x, or my production/research of y cripples with z amount.."

I knew, that having SR integrated as other ressources would need additional work(AI etc.) but would also make for a far "better" system?

And I'm also somekind of sorry to come with more suggestions after you just tell us about a good new feature. I just can't hold my breath about "the coolness" if it would go a bit "deeper/further". (Maybe it is just that "more-more-more thing" again..)

@Baltasar
Just see the double research as an "equipment research".. ;)
You can of course not like the current approach.
The alternative could be a single tech and then, how would you decide wich units gets wich weapons and how much?
You would need additional decisons or more techs..?

So this simple abstraction is a nice one in terms of simplicity for gameplay..?

:)

Kind regards,
Chromos

I
About food. one of the strategic resources we are toying with is "Black Soil", perhaps with a bonus to national unity to symbolize the strong agriculture in places like ukraine. But thats not set in stone yet.

That is a great idea, but I'm not so sure about National Unity. Aside from training laws, I think national unity for a player's country isn't important. Further, in the SU example, if the Ukraine provides this bonus, then loosing ground to Germany invariably means loosing Ukraine, yet the only time that resource would be *useful* is when the Soviets loose territory but still retain the resource for its bonus. In any normal game circumstance, the bonus wouldn't be effective.

Instead, having black soil reduce the need for consumer goods might be interesting. Alternatively, perhaps it gives a morale boost: after all, troops like to be well fed (though this one would be weird again for the Soviets).