• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Modern warfare is not just about men but material. To win you need to get the right equipment to the right places. This diary looks at what we are doing about the production of the right equipment. Hearts of Iron 3 is not at its core an economic game; it is a war game. However, we cannot escape the link between industrial strength and military strength. Still, in sticking to our core design philosophy we are looking at ways to add depth to the economic system without adding complexity.

With this is mind we began to think of what we could do to make the economic game more interesting and try to make historical choices more interesting for players. So we began to think about the famous and not so famous little facts of World War II, like Black Thursday (14th October 1943 for those who are interested) when the USAAF took heavy casualties in the second raid on the ball bearing factories at Schweinfurt, and the Norwegian partisan raids on the heavy water plant in Norway. These are two examples of when certain resources had a great deal of importance for specific purposes that our IC system doesn’t capture.

Enter the idea of strategic resources. We have a number of resources in the game that provide bonuses for your country. We assume that countries would always be able to cope without access to these resources, just look at the German synthetic rubber industry, for example, but life would be easier if you had them. Some of these are research bonuses, like Heavy Water/Uranium for Nuclear technologies. We are also looking at making Nukes more expensive to research; basically if you don’t have these don’t do it. Some are production bonuses, like Aluminium for planes. Others are combat bonuses, like increased Hard Attack if you have Tungsten.

belgian_congo_uranium.jpg

If a faction member controls a resource then all major faction members (countries with large IC) receive the bonus in addition to the owner. I know this creates a strange quirk that Japan and Germany share resources, so we have added a special rule for the Axis where they only share if the capitals are on the same continent. In addition, neutral countries that are ‘close’ to a faction will supply their strategic resources to that faction. If you as Britain want to prevent countries shipping goods to the Axis then you need to use diplomacy to do this. Historically, the Allies didn’t have a formal blockade but did do things like buy up entire countries' production of certain resources. We also have Switzerland, for example, importing huge amounts of Portuguese tungsten, which everyone knew was a fiction and the tungsten was going to Germany. This has the rather neat consequence that diplomacy doesn’t end just because war has begun. You are looking at what you can do to keep resources out of the hands of your enemies and into yours.

However, sometimes diplomacy won’t do the job and you don’t have the troops to take the province. Here, strategic warfare comes into play, and just like the real Schweinfurt raids you can use Strategic Warfare to target enemy strategic resources. The overall boost you get from a Strategic resource is linked to the infrastructure in a province. Large-scale raids will temporarily knock out this resource for the enemy's arsenal, leading to economic disruption.

bonus to Nuke research right now, so if I get this correctly, it will introduce new possible modifiers to use. IF it will be moddable, that is :)

it will be moddable of course :)

That sounds great, but will the easy-to-fix (or easy-to-copy-existing-fix-from-a-mod) bugs like
- German surrender
- infamous Dennis Lawrence
- some tech tree options (cavalry small arms / infantry small arms being two different things for one)
- etc
be fixed?

The German surrender event is going the way of the dodo, along with all the others, since we're changing to a wargoal/peace system rather than pre-scripted surrender events.

Minor stuff like Dennis should be fixed.

Seperate cav and inf tech is entirely WAD and will not be changed.

will you receive money in exchange for sharing these resources with a faction? will Portugal get paid for giving tungsten to Germany?

no, thats abstracted away. We want these resources to be more about diplomatic influence and actually conquering territory other than a way to make money. You will still be trading with rare materials etc the regular way for money though.

I was hoping for something else than: get province X and you´ll get this or that boost to your IC, or attack or… but, well, perhaps it will be a nice feature. At least they can be bombed. By the way, what resource is that potato looking thing?

uranium ore mine in Congo, it was imported to US and used for the Manhattan Project. Some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Congo#Colonial_economic_policy

If you read the diary again you should see that there is more to it than "get province x" - that is one way, but there is also the diplomacy angle mentioned: "In addition, neutral countries that are ‘close’ to a faction will supply their strategic resources to that faction" etc

Overall I'm actually more excited by "Mothland" than Deus Ex 2 atm.

I hope so :) Deus Ex 2 was a really bad dumbed down sequel to the excellent Deus Ex 1. However Deus Ex 3 is coming out in august (I think it was) and is looking really really promising from the information released.

About food. one of the strategic resources we are toying with is "Black Soil", perhaps with a bonus to national unity to symbolize the strong agriculture in places like ukraine. But thats not set in stone yet.

Any idea on how many of these strategic resources you are looking at having in game?

not 100% decided yet. but at least 10-15. how powerful the bonus is and how common they are will vary a lot between them. things like Uranium will have very very strong bonuses, so much that nuclear research without them is almost impossible and only exist in a few small places, whereas other resources can be more common (like tungsten and aluminium) and have a smaller bonus (more spread out resources will be harder to damage as well of course).

So how are these strategic resources gonna work? From what I understood they're not gonna intervene in the normal production.

So you're not gonna drain them out if you have a lot of IC? Also you could be feeding entire USA and UK air units with a little aluminium ore in Madagascar?

yeah they are not replacing the regular system, see it more like its a way of saying that aluminium from place X is extra high quality, or they have a well oiled industry built up around it increasing efficiency.

The benefits go to who control a SINGLE province with the SR or an entire REGION with the SR?

single atm, the benefit of multiple is being safer from bad infrastructure or sabotage/bombing etc and keeping them away from other factions

Will there be multiple instances of each/some of the resources (i.e. will there be 5 Aluminum)? If so will there be a cumulative impact of having more than 1? So if I have all the world's major Aluminum resources such that I am using it for coinage that I get a greater benefit?

No, you'll just be safer from having your Aluminum bonus cut off by one of your provinces being lost/bombed.

Will there be any penalty for not having a resource, or just lack of bonus?

lack of bonus, but we might be tweaking down some stats in some cases (nuclear research is one example)

BTW will improving the infrastructure increase the strategic resource "output"?

yes

After all the trouble to make an atomic bomb, it would be nice to see a sprite for the mushroom cloud

also, can they be turned off? (strange question, I wouldn't need it, but just curious)

not by player, but you can do it from events for example

So it is fully modable also includes the adding of new SR?
(Just in case ~15 are not enough for some of us..) :D

yes moddable

good DD, although this colour scheme is not.

you mean the grey look? you can change it at the bottom of the screen. pick DeepOceanEdited for the old one.

Seems like a nice new feature, but I hope you guys focus on fixing what's broken first.

we try to do a bit of both

This "same-continent capital" rule is Axis-only (BTW - will it be moddable or hardcoded?), so we don't need to worry about the Allies. However, I agree that it could require convoys. Your other ideas would probably require too much work in order to be feasible.

moddable. still not sure we like this rule 100% either. might tie it to ocean access or controlling straights instead as suggested in this thread. its a bit of a tricky one but important to get right without feeling gamey (japan is always the odd man out for a lot of game rules in hoi :D)