• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is that based on any particular speech, or is it one of your own fine creations?

Two minor nitpicks: prime ministers don't have podiums ;) Also, since this is the House of Commons the following phrase sits rather awkwardly: "Honoured sirs, distinguished guests, my fellow citizens" It makes it sound like it is a speech from the Lord Mayor's Dinner or something ;)

And now perhaps we are going to get an example of that lawlessness going on in the Far East? Brilliant.

Two brilliant updates lately Draco, I really liked to see Slim jumping from the Army to the Royal Marines, jolly nice to see the Marines growing :)
Also interesting and well written speech by Winston there, now you got the Swiss in the Grand Alliance as well this should be very interesting :)

Hmm, interesting indeed. I fear, however, that Switzerland is another ally of limted usefullness. Undoubtedly they will prove an irksome thorn for German and Italy but will inevitably be overrun. The loss of Switzerland will deny the Allies a neutral base for intelligence operations once the fascists have overrun Europe. But your Britain, Draco, isn't one to back down just cuz something is tough, and I like that. :D

Oh, quick question about the previous update: does a 'regiment' equate with a game division or are you taking several historical regiments for each new division you build? Either way, glad to see the RMs expanding.

Smashing speech. :)

Draco Rexus: ...“..A request, I assure you, to which His Majesty has readily agreed.”

so, how did you manage to ally the Swiss? AFAIK, there is no event, etc., that allows for this in game. also, i suspect that the [unaltered] AI would not allow any alliance to be entered into... did you write an event for this? ;)

irrespective of your answer, awesome catch! ! :D

splendid updates! ! :cool:

Just a quick note to say that I'm gonna try to slow the pace a little to give everybody a chance to keep up. I just kinda realized that an update a day might just be a bit to much considering all the other AARs that need to be followed. :eek:o

Now, time for some feedback to feedback:

Vann - thanks kindly.

stnylan - it's a combintation of Wintson's speeches with a line or two of my own creativity. :D Your nitpicks are noted, both of 'em didn't even jar my brain until after your post. Oops! :eek:o As for the Far East... you could say that. ;)

Lord E - many thanks, kind sir. Interesting is surely the word. Can you imagine the headaches the armed services staff conferences would be like? :eek:

VILenin - You are quite right, the Swiss are of limited use in the grand scheme of things, not really having a grand power base from which to project, but they should certainly keep a few German divisions occuppied, eh?

oh, my regiments completely equate to a game division, I just find named regiments more... well, for lack of a better term, more romantic and inspiring sounding that numbered divisions.

Sir Humps - I wish I could take all the credit, a lot of it was Winston's own words, although I will admit liberally spread about with tweaks of my own.

GhostWriter - You are as correct as VILenin, sir. :) How did I convince the AI to join my little alliance? Well, let's just say that I gave 'em an offer they couldn't refuse.

I'll probably update over the long weekend, unless I get enough clamouring for one sooner, then we'll just have to see what I can do. :rolleyes:

Two, four, six, eight,
Clamour for an up-date! :D

Y'know, an update a day really isn't that much reading to manage. Really, it isn't...

Vann

Vann the Red said:
Y'know, an update a day really isn't that much reading to manage. Really, it isn't...

Vann
Vann is not being at all over enthusiastic. An update from Draco once a day.... twice a day..... (of course whose counting!) will never be enough!

I for one, and I heartly concur with all the other posters, is that your updates 1,2,3 a day are never boring and worth firing up the old comuter to read! So unless you are feeling tired of the old update cycle - we certanly are not!!!!!!

A wonderful AAR but a very creative AuthAAR

My, my, my, the clamouring has drawn the attention of my boss (she who shall be known as Brumhilda :p ). I guess I best shoo her away and post an update, eh?

Our visit to the Far East shall be forthcoming within an hour... or less!

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

In days of yore, from Britain's shore,
Wolfe, the dauntless hero came,
And planted firm Britannia's flag,
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave, our boast, our pride,
And joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
The Maple Leaf forever!

The Maple Leaf, our emblem dear,
The Maple Leaf forever!
God save our King, and Heaven bless,
The Maple Leaf forever!

The Maple Leaf Forever
Canadian hymn​

When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Till he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
With all her faults we love her still,
"Britannia rules the wave!"
In joyful strains then let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"

Advance Australia Far
Australian hymn​

HongKong.jpg

British Crown Colony of Hong Kong
May 14, 1939
11:35 a.m.

For months the garrison of the Crown colony of Hong Kong had watched with trepidation the onslaught of the Imperial Japanese Army through China. In the weeks that followed the Battle for Chengdu, the garrison had come under the combined pressure of watching the Japanese unstopped army approach with apparent hostile intent as well as watching the Kuomintang of south China switch allegiance to the Chinese Communists under Mao Tse-tung and become openly hostile Westerners and any Chinese that worked with “the imperialist pigs.”

Although the newest fortifications for the Colony, the Gin Drinkers Line that was anchored by Gin Drinkers Bay across the New Territories to Tolo Harbour, had just recently been completed, and thousands of tons of supplies had been arriving in preparation for a hopeful increase in the size of the garrison, prior to the arrival of the Imperial General Staff’s as of yet to be determined reinforcements, the Crown Colony’s sole defenders number only several hundred men of the Army garrison and the RAF Tactical Command’s 613 Wing.

Hong Kong’s governor, Sir Mark Aitchison Young, the Colony’s garrison commander, General C.M. Maltby, and Wing Commander Manning of 613 Wing, were leaning against the railing that surrounded the observation deck on the newly constructed control tower for the Colony’s new air base, Kai-Tak Airbase. Checking his watch for the fifth time in six minutes, Governor Young glanced over at the young Wing Commander who was scanning the eastern horizon with binoculars and asked, “Have you seen them yet, Wing Commander?”

Not only not bothering to lower his binoculars, the young RAF officer failed to hide the irritation in his voice when he replied to Colony’s Governor, “No Governor, I have not, nor do I expect to have seen them in one minute when you ask me again.”

“Manning, mind yourself,” gently barked General Maltby from the other side of the Governor as he extinguished his match and puffed his pipe to life in a cloud of aromatic smoke. “Sir Mark, while our young Wing Commander may have allowed his strain to show through, there is no sense in giving yourself kittens. Unlike forced marches over land, air travel over vast distances of ocean is a tedious endeavor and not one conducive to time tables. Take a breath and relax as there’s no need to panic.”

“General, not only do we have Chinese Communists across the bay attempting to subvert this Colony we also have Imperial Japan marching an army towards us, and you tell me to relax,” Young asked incredulously. “And when, pray tell, do you think it would be perfectly legitimate for me to be stressed?”

“When you see Manning or myself begin to panic, Governor,” Maltby replied with a slow grin, “then you’ll know that it’s time to be “stressed”, but not before then, eh?”

Before the Governor of Hong Kong could sum up a dignified response the radio loudspeaker attached to the wall at the far end of the observation deck crackled with static before a voice echoed out. “Kai-Tak Control, Kai-Tak Control, this is Birdsong 22,” a chipper sounding voice said in very pronounced Australian accent. “Birdsong Command is inbound, e.t.a. three minutes. Please be advised, we have some thirsty kites up here and some even thirstier airmen, so be prepared.”

“Birdsong 22,” the voice of one of the RAF air traffic controllers replied, “the winds are from the north at fifteen knots, Birdsong Command is cleared for landing on Runway One. Welcome to Hong Kong, gentlemen.”

KaiTakAirfield.jpg

Hong Kong's new Kai Tak Aerodrome

“Many thanks, Kai-Tak,” the Australian pilot replied. “Please have the Mess have the doors open, we’ll be down in a jiffy.”

“There goes the neighborhood and all the bloody beer,” Wing Commander Manning chuckled.

“What’s that, Wing Commander,” Governor Young asked with a frown.

“Birdsong 22,” Manning responded lowering his binoculars as the drone of approaching aircraft began to reverberate through the air, “is Air Commodore James Colby, one of the best Australian bush pilots and an even better tactical bomber pilot. When Bomber Command ordered Australia Command to send half their aircraft here, I was hoping that Colby would get this detachment instead of the group that is arriving in Mombassa to help out in the Horn of Africa. While I know East Africa is moving closer to having the balloon go up, I’d rather have Colby and his Aussies here in Hong Kong. He’s even better at the tactical use of bombers than I am. But, being Australian, those lads are a little more loose with discipline than the old RAF is accustomed. Colby himself is known throughout the old RAAF as being able to consume vast quantities of beer with no impairment, and has taken to the air to prove that on not just a few times!”

Young began to respond when the young RAF officer suddenly widened his eyes while looking over the Governor’s shoulder and quickly raised his binoculars back to his eyes. Turning to look over his shoulder to look in the direction of the Colony’s as of yet highest ranking RAF officer, Young realized that the amount of aircraft noise had gotten louder. A voice breaking out from the loudspeaker soon explained why. “Kai-Tak Control, Kai-Tak Control, this is Camden 39, Camden Command is arriving over your position now, please advise of possibility of landing instructions and directions to the Mess before those bloody Aussies eat all the food.”

“Camden 39, this is Kai-Tak Control, please advise your position,” the air traffic controller’s voice replied without any trace of the amusement that it contained when last heard.

“Kai-Tak Control, this is Camden 39,” the pilot’s voice responded in a smooth Canadian drawl, “we are approaching from due north, and might I had that your airfield has got some mighty high mountains about to make things interesting, eh?”

KaiTakAirfield2.jpg

Kai Tak from the Canadian viewpoint

Looking through his binoculars with a mix of shocked surprise and anger, Manning watched as Camden Command, the first of the Canadian air groups to be integrated into the RAF’s command structure flew over the mountains linking the Colony to the Chinese mainland and descended over the airbase as if on an attack run.

two_a_five.jpg

Camden Flight, a Canadian surprise

The young Wing Commander was surprised to see the Canadians flying their newly obtained Vickers Wellingtons low to the deck as well as coming so unexpectedly, and angry that not only were they do so but also at the fact that their approach had been completely unnoticed until they were at the air field. If they had been an enemy bomber force Manning simply shuddered at the thought of the devastation that could have been inflicted.

“Birdsong 22,” the loudspeaker crackled again with the lead air traffic controller’s slightly irritated voice. “Sorry, chaps, but Camden Command is already hear, you’ll need to loiter until they can set their kites down unless you or any of your kites need to declare an emergency?”

“Negative, Kai-Tak Control,” the Australian voice replied with resignation, “We’ll be fine, you just make sure that those Canadians don’t drink all the bloody beer!”

wellington20bombers.jpg

Arriving Birdsong Flight, Australian chagrin

“Birdsong 22, this is Camden 39,” the Canadian voice broke in before the controller could reply, “Colby, this is Croil. Don’t you worry none, eh? When I heard it was you coming up from down under, I had my lads bring their own beer, eh? I promise that we’ll have the first keg tapped by the time you get your kite down and have a mug waiting for you.”

While the Colony Governor looked on in exasperation at the wireless chatter coming forth from the loudspeaker and Wing Commander Manning and General Maltby shared a look of amusement at the dialogue of the former Dominion bomber crews. For the young RAF officer, the revelation of the identity of the Canadian officer was a further relief of strain, as Air Commodore Croil was considered to be cut from the same cloth as the arriving Australian Colby. In both military abilities as well as extracurricular activities.

As the first of the Canadian aircraft began to land and disgorge their crews, the lone civilian on the on the observation deck fired a glare at the Colony’s garrison commander, the Governor growled, “General, I do hope that you will be able to maintain some degree of decorum upon these Canadian and Australians.”

Raising an eyebrow at the civilian’s clear step over the line separating the civilian and military chain of commands, Maltby took his pipe from his lips and counted to ten quickly and then repeated the process a second and third time as the roar of over flying aircraft made speech on the deck impossible. Dearly hoping that the arrival of the promised reinforcements that the Governor would be able to relax and leave military matters to whom they belonged, the garrison commander with just barely a visible effort to control himself answered with a neutral tone, “But of course, Governor, of course.”

wellington-Ic-75-squadron.jpg

Intermingled Camden and Birdsong crews heading to the Mess

Game Note: In case ya'll didn't figure it out, I flew into Hong Kong a Canadian (former RCAF) group and an Australian (former RAAF) group to support my lone Wellington in Hong Kong. However, the approaching Japanese 5th Army is still quite menacing, and having the area directly north of Hong Kong suddenly become Chi-Com was a bit... disconcerting to say the least.

Up Next: Back to jolly old England for some more military developments. Stay tuned.

That was an enjoyable read Draco. I just hope that HK is going to get enough ground forces to be able to defend itself. They aren't going to be able to do it just from the air. And the Canadians coming in undetected is a troubling situation. :( Not good, not good at all.

Joe

Very good, Draco!

Those Wellingtons will give the Japanese (and the communists!) something to think about!

Draco Rexus said:
Just a quick note to say that I'm gonna try to slow the pace a little to give everybody a chance to keep up. I just kinda realized that an update a day might just be a bit to much considering all the other AARs that need to be followed. :eek:o
I hope this was not in response to my jest elsewhere about a "Draconian" pace of writing! :rofl: It was certainly not meant as a criticism. Simply a recognition of your stunning, prolific pace (50 pages in 9 months!). That's my problem to keep up, not yours! :D

I loved the pictures of Churchill... very animated!

Keep it up!

Rensslaer

Great update, Draco. Loved the local color and I too hope there will be some pongoes on the way soon.

Vann

Poor Governor Young. A declaration of war with Japan would only be slightly worse than the invasion that has now begun. And I have to say that General Maltby has shown the remarkable restraint that usually typifies Britain's army! ;)