FoggyLizard - Dwarf Fortress (Steam version) v50.04 - Wilderness / Swamp

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

blue emu

GroFAZ
8 Badges
Mar 13, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
Mountainhomes has sent our hardy party of idiots out into the ill-omened Horn of Deterioration, a minor mountain range out on the extreme edge (or even PAST the extreme edge) of Dwarven territory. One of our top priorities will be Defense, since our map position seems very exposed.
FL_004.jpg

The actual site selected was hardly mountainous, though... the map is perfectly flat except for several stagnant pools of water, which may or may not persist through the year.

FL_002.jpg

We've stopped our wagon in a likely spot and begun unloading everything into temporary stockpiles. Our two Miners have dug out a farm in the soil layer, and the crops are being planted. We have a central stairway started, with a dog-leg on level -2 to allow us to lock down the whole stair shaft if necessary.
FL_003.jpg

Temporary workshops for the Mason and the Carpenter (and soon, the Mechanic) allow us to knock out a few beds, chairs, doors etc just to keep the place livable while we're moving in.

This is what the interface looks like on the Steam version:

FL_001.jpg

A couple more screen-shots.

The Farm, on level -1. This is the only Soil on the map (except perhaps for the caverns underground).
FL_005.jpg

The vertical dog-leg in the stair-well, on level -2. This is just to allow us to lock down the top of the stair-well, in case our surface defenses get over-run.
FL_006.jpg

As usual, I have claimed the Mechanic / Medic

Up for grabs are:

two Miners
a Mason
a Carpenter / Lumberjack
a Planter
and a Brewer / Cook.

Plus whatever immigrants we receive.

Brewer/cook me

I want to delve into the depths of the earth, miner-ize me please.

What do the gray boxes on the world overview mean?
Done.

Those boxes are Sites... Dwarven outposts, Human Towns, Elven Forest Retreats, Goblin Pits, Necromancer's Towers, etc.

We're pretty much surrounded by other Civs. Hopefully our migrants will get here OK.

Brewer/cook me
Done.

In other news... both of the Horses they gave us are females. :mad:

FL_007.jpg

FL_008.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
We're still unloading the wagon, but it's never too early to start thinking about Defense.

Geologically, this spot is a flat swamp consisting of a single layer of rather poor Soil, with several layers of Dolomite (a magnesian Limestone) overlying igneous rocks below. So we can't set up our defenses by burrowing sideways into a hill or cliff. No hills, no cliff.

We'll just have to put our main stairway indoors... which means guarding it by building some sort of above-ground Gatehouse... or maybe something more elaborate, such as a Castle or Fortress.

In any case, I've started paving the area surrounding our stairway with Dolomite blocks. That area will be indoors, or at least inside our defense perimeter, so let's pave it over.

EDIT:

Since there's only ONE layer of Soil and then solid rock below that, the neatness freak in me is digging out our stairway where it passes through level -1 (the Soil level) and replacing it with constructed stairs made out of good stone. That way we don't have one layer of dirt stairs and all the rest stone.

Last edited:
I'd like to be a miner, thanks.

with a dog-leg on level -2
How does that work? As in, do you put up drawbridges in the hallway between the staircases or something, and how do you know they won't just tunnel around them?

The Farm, on level -1. This is the only Soil on the map (except perhaps for the caverns underground).
Why is there that much grass if thre's no other soil?

In other news... both of the Horses they gave us are females. :mad:
Is it possible to order a stallion from the caravan?

I'd like to be a miner, thanks.

How does that work? As in, do you put up drawbridges in the hallway between the staircases or something, and how do you know they won't just tunnel around them?

Why is there that much grass if thre's no other soil?

Is it possible to order a stallion from the caravan?
1) A miner it is. That's both Miners, the Brewer-Cook and the Mechanic-Doctor all claimed. The Farmer, the Mason and the Lumberjack remain available.

2) Drawbridges are completely invulnerable to enemy action as long as only the OUTER face of the drawbridge is facing them. If the enemies have a way of attacking the inner face or the edges of the drawbridge, they can destroy it. So I'm setting up two drawbridges in the corridor, positioned back-to-back so that when they are raised they shields each others' vulnerable faces, and only the invulnerable outer faces are visible. Nobody except Dwarves can tunnel.

3) Only the top layer (level -1) is soil. From level -2 on down is solid rock.

4) I'll check. It might not come to that, though. Reproduction in Dwarf Fortress does not require physical contact. Anyone who brings a stallion onto the map (pulling wagons for a caravan for example, or even as a mount for invaders) might fertilize our mares.

5) The Elephants are eating. They do that a lot. It will be a couple of years before I know whether they are breeding. Elephants have 22-month gestation periods.

Wagonlitz and Iche-Bins have been busy.

FL_009.jpg

FL_010.jpg

FL_011.jpg

We're 18 levels down and we're STILL in sedimentary rock (Mudstone, in this case). Lots of room for Coal and Iron ore.

Then there's the metamorphic and igneous layers below that, presumably, still to come.

No sign of the first cavern layer yet.

How thick is the crust here?

Blue emu is happy thinking about working. If you have time to thinking about working you have time to be working. ;)
Thinking about it is easier.

Did you notice that Wagonlitz is "feeling bitter after getting into an argument" AND "Unmet need: Fight"?

Dwarven drama incoming...

• 1Love
Reactions:
To get a suitable excuse for looking for into this DF thingy, I would like to be allowed to plant stuff or nail boards together, if that'd be fine.
FL_012.jpg

Why not both?

Thinking about it is easier.

Did you notice that Wagonlitz is "feeling bitter after getting into an argument" AND "Unmet need: Fight"?

Dwarven drama incoming...
Both of you have that "Unmet need: Fight" need.

One thing to notice, Nikolai, is that every Dwarf's emotional mood changes from moment to moment, and is affected by a huge assortment of factors.

Dwarves like interacting with friends, they like to have an interesting and varied diet in food and drink, they enjoy getting drunk and they admire fine craftsmanship (a prisoner chained up in the basement might be consoled and cheered up by the impressive workmanship of the chain itself).

They hate sunlight once they have become acclimatized to the dark, hate seeing vermin or getting hurt, hate eating without a place to sit, hate drinking without a goblet, hate sleeping without a proper bed, or eating or drinking the same thing every day. They hate wearing old clothes, getting caught in the rain, seeing dead bodies, and really hate having their friends or pets killed. They even hate REMEMBERING these things.

More forts are destroyed by Tantrum Spirals among the dwarves themselves than are wiped out by enemies.

I'm addressing some of those problems now... setting up a proper bedroom for each of them, digging out a dining hall with chairs and cutlery, and so on

Reactions:
OK, I am taking a few steps to improve the morale of our workforce.

I've set up a Craftsdwarf's Workshop where we can make a few Stone Mugs for drinking. That will remove that small source of annoyance.

I have had Iche_Bins and Wagonlitz dig us out some nice bedrooms, and we are furnishing them now, starting with wooden beds for everybody. That will remove the "had to sleep in the dirt" malus, and will also temporarily give them an "acquired a new object" morale bonus.

I'm having any Dwarf with spare time collect plants in the swamp, hoping to get something we can brew into alcohol or cook into meals, to remove any "tired of eating/drinking the same old crap" malus and add a temporary "enjoyed a varied meal" bonus.

Already morale is starting to improve... the majority of our Dwarves are now "satisfied" rather than "neutral".

What about the elephants?