• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It was one of those days when a layer of cloud obscured the sun until it was just about to set. And then the orange globe spread its light laterally across the landscape, creating long, gentle shadows as it journeyed finally to rest for the night.

Kronprinz Friedrich Wilhelm was tired. So was his aide, Major Leo von Caprivi. So were the sixty-thousand other cavalrymen and their horses, who had been on campaign with the Kronprinz for 15 long, agonizing months.

The depression where they had stopped to camp for the night was cluttered with countless dingy gray tents that had once been white. The horses were tethered to forage lines and nipped at the spring grasses to tamp their hunger. Many of the soldiers gathered around camp fires, heartily enjoying the opportunity for rest, and even the soupy stew they were forced to endure in the absence of more adequate provisions this far from their lines of supply. Others had collapsed into bedrolls after a few bites of biscuit, too exhausted even to eat dinner with their comrades.

The 3rd Corps, after their victorious campaign in Baden, had headed south through the Austrian Alps into Tyrol and Styria and then south into Slovenia. They were near enough now to the Adriatic Sea that they had caught occasional glimpses of the sparkling waters at long range, and suffered from humidity on cold days and hot.

They had bypassed the Austrian port of Trieste two weeks ago, the Kronprinz favoring the capture of the port of Fiume for strategic reasons. But his aide was always welcome to suggest alternatives, and it was one of these they were discussing.

"Personally," the Kronprinz explained, "I would rather hold a Croat port than an Italian port. Our allies in Piedmont would argue that Trieste is rightfully theirs, and I would prefer not to have to tell them no. God knows that I hope, in the aftermath, we can prevent the unification of Italy. There's no telling what they might do if ever they bucked our control and challenged us as one nation." He was mindful of Caprivi's Italian roots, but also knew as surely as with his previous aide de camp where his loyalties resided.

"In my studies of history," Caprivi said, "I have found that it is usually the oppressed nations that have the stronger ethnic identity. Therefore, I might suggest the Croatians might prove harder to manage than the provincial Italians we would find in Trieste."

Their attention was drawn away from the discussion at hand when a cadre of a dozen horsemen crested the hill along the road. The leader of the group apparently sighted the Kronprinz, as they immediately headed straight for the command tent. As they neared, Friedrich Wilhelm was surprised to recognize Count van Rensselaer, who waved in friendship.

Dismounting and handing his reins to one of his bodyguard, Rensselaer approached the Kronprinz and bowed. Not so deep as he would bow to the Kaiser, but very reverential. "Your Highness, I bring very good news, and I wished to convey it to you in person."

friedwilhyoung.bmp
friediiib.bmp
(These pictures bracket the Kronprinz' current age of 35)

The Kronprinz wondered what news would be so good as to require personal delivery by the Foreign Minister. And further, what on earth could draw him this far from his duties in Berlin!

"Your Highness, I have just days ago concluded a peace treaty with Austria in Prague. Our war here is over."

"What?!" Friedrich Wilhelm exclaimed, in not so happy a tone as Rensselaer would have expected from a reluctant warrior.

"The Austrians have bowed to our control of the South German Federation lands, have agreed to never again contest our right to leadership of Germany, and have made some territorial concessions."

"But we have been hurrying for months to establish a right to an Adriatic port!" the Kronprinz protested. "I've lost men in this endeavor! Have we secured our rights to a southern port?"

Rensselaer had expected the Kronprinz would have complicated questions, which is why he wanted to meet with him in person. "Your Highness, I have much to explain. Could we perhaps go in out of the chill?" The sun now gone behind the forest, it was getting colder. The command tent was the only tent in the field with flaps that extended to the ground.

"Of course." The Kronprinz led Rensselaer and Caprivi inside, where a map table took up much of the available space. Rensselaer settled himself on Caprivi's cot while Caprivi stood. The Kronprinz sat in his camp chair.

"With this peace, Your Highness, we have secured our control of all of the South German Federation, save a rump Bavaria, surrounding Munchen."

"Which was secured at the time I left Augsburg, to the best of my knowledge." That tone of voice reminded Rensselaer of the Kronprinz' father. Reputation in Berlin held that the Kronprinz was not very quick witted. But Rensselaer reminded himself that this was the hero of several major battles, and that commanders without presence of mind didn't tend to succeed over and over.

"Yes... Of course, Your Highness. But now the Habsburgs have agreed never again to lay any claim to those lands, which is a pledge of historic import. They have also ceded to us the provinces of Plzen and Ried, which improves the defensibility of our border."

The Kronprinz stood, abruptly. "We have pushed the Austrians back on every front, and driven further than in our first war... And all we claim is two provinces?!" He glanced at Caprivi, who remained conspicuously impassive. He peered back skeptically at Rensselaer, who had just concluded that he would have to conduct this conversation from a standing position. "What happened to our war aims, dating back to the last war, of taking ownership of all the lands of the German people? I passed by entire boroughs of Germans in Maribor just days ago!"

"Please rest assured, Your Highness, that these matters were taken into consideration." Rensselaer's hand gesture was calming... or perhaps defensive. "But at length, our conclusion was that it would be most prudent to..."

"Prudent?" Friedrich Wilhelm challenged. "That doesn't sound like my father."

Rensselaer took the conversation back a step. Indeed, this was the same conversation he had had with the Kaiser. "I advised the Kaiser that for every German citizen we remove from the Habsburg Empire, we pour more water on their foundations. To freeze in winter, and crack in summer. By taking all the German population of the Empire for ourselves, we would seal the doom of the Habsburg Dynasty."

"So? They stabbed us in the back. What is their value to us?" Remarkably similar to his conversation with the Kaiser, Rensselaer thought. For all the bad blood between them, Friedrich Wilhelm was truly his father's son.

"We would see an independent Hungary, an independent Ukraine, an independent Poland... none of which would endear us to our friends the Russians."

"And what is so wrong with self determination? Why shouldn't the Ukrainians have their homeland, or the Poles, for that matter." This was his wife talking, Rensselaer thought. This, certainly, had not come up in his conversation with the Kaiser.

"But you must recognize, Your Highness, that a revolt of Austrian Poles would join with the revolt of Russian Poles... and would necessarily end with a revolt of the Prussian Poles. Which is something that the Kaiser knows we cannot risk. Not, certainly, at a time when they are already causing death and bloodshed across much of Russia. And it would only serve to empower the Turks, who would need no invitation to set up for themselves new dominions among the weak countries that would remain... It could mean a return to the rivalries of the Crusades."

Friedrich Wilhelm was jolted by his sudden realization that he was upset that the fighting -- and the dying -- was done! He shook his head, and counseled himself that anytime he was away from his wife for two long, as he always was on campaign, he began to revert to the militaristic Prussian that he knew he was at heart.

The Kronprinz returned to reality. "Of course. You are right." He seemed to visibly let go his spirited resistance. "I am sure this will work out for the best." He looked at Rensselaer. "And I am confident that you have done your utmost for the future and the security of the Empire. Thank you."

Rensselaer gave him a polite bow. "I appreciate your praise, Your Highness. More than you can know."

"And we have another enemy..." he trailed off for just a moment. Had he just referred to the English as the enemy? "Another enemy to fight." Immediately, he turned to Caprivi. "Leo, what is the quickest route from here into France?"

caprivi4.bmp

Caprivi, who had been listening carefully, had also been peering at the map on the table and working through this in his mind for the past two minutes. "I believe that would take us through some familiar territory," he responded quickly. "Through the mountains of northern Italy."

"Well," the Kronprinz sighed, and looked out the tent flap at the flickering campfires. "We can't move right away. We will need at least a day's rest. God knows we've needed it for weeks. Inform the command staff," Friedrich Wilhelm directed Caprivi, "the soldiers need not be roused until dawn in the morning. And at that time I will have a special announcement."

"Ja wohl, Hoheit (Highness)!" Caprivi acknowledged.

The Kronprinz stopped him. "And Major! Don't tell them what it is. Or no one will get any sleep tonight!" They all chuckled.

That night, Friedrich Wilhelm found himself, awkwardly, looking forward to the next war with Austria, when they could finally create a grand empire of all Germany, with access to the Mediterranean and secure from all enemies. He stamped down such thoughts. War will come, he thought, if war must come. There is no excuse to lust after it. He stilled his heart with difficulty, and attempted to get some sleep. It finally came when he turned his thoughts to Victoria, his dear, brilliant, indomitable wife.

ss286x.jpg

So what really happened?

Well, I was about to defeat the defenders of Wien. Victory looked assured. And I was going to gobble up the German portions of Austria, and see where we went from there. At the very least, I anticipated grabbing several new German-populated provinces to add to Prussia. Perhaps it wouldn’t yet yield a route to the Adriatic, or completely denude Austria of Germans, but I was going to be very happy with the settlement.

Or so I thought.

On March 25th, I got an astonishing message that struck fear into my heart. I shan’t reproduce the message here… it looked pretty standard, so I’m sure you can imagine. Basically, it announced that Prussia had won the Seven Weeks War, and that Austria would no longer contest Prussian leadership of Germany. The borders immediately returned to the pre-war borders! I won – wholly and completely – but I got nothing!!! And this is after I had turned aside several Austrian offers of three provinces, knowing I could get more!

Regardless of what the message really said, in my mind’s eye, I saw this:

winnergohome.jpg

I was naturally infuriated! How could this happen? What to do? Well, obviously, go in and mod what should have happened, right?

Well, I thought about it. If I’m going to mod anything, it has to be realistic. It has to make sense in a historical sense. And so I started trying to figure out how to justify dismemberment of the Austrian Empire. Quickly, I realized that if I took the German-populated territories I’d wanted, what would be left? Certainly not an Austrian Empire. Probably just a conglomeration of independent ethnic states under independent leadership. Did I want that? Well, yes… but perhaps not yet.

And, in my pursuit of a “realistic” answer, I also came across the same arguments that Count Rensselaer expressed to the Crown Prince. Was this really the time to have an independent Poland out there? Granted, using the game mechanism of satellites, if I released Hungary then Poland would be part of it, but that didn’t meet my measure of realism either. Polish lands would not be any happier about Hungarian rule than Austrian, and the Hungarians would be in no position to enforce their rule in these circumstances. So that would mean an independent Poland, and an independent Ukraine, and… ((sighs))

I decided that I would accept the judgment of the game, and would live with the Austro-Hungarian Empire in place for now. I modded what I considered quite reasonable, realistic and gracious territorial concessions (cleaning up my border with the addition of Plzen and Ried), and left it as it was.

But I did develop a mod for events of more import in the future, should Prussia and Austria find themselves at war again. We shall see if I get to use it! :D

Wow, excellent work against the Austrian's. That's a tough blow by the peace treaty, your version of what they said to you made me laugh. It's nice to see that you made it more realistic though and explained it. Now I knwo what to expect whenever I paly Prussia and get in a war with Austria.

That was probably the best thing to do. A little bit of Realpolitick, eh? So we still have the Brits to deal with and then the end of war is at hand, right?

Great update, and I agree, that must have been very frustrating to get that message. Glad you were able to still have it work out so that there was still some additions to the plus column for you.... now on to disciplining the English and then some rest and refit before completing the dismemberment of the Hapsburg empire, eh?

Some overdue feedback...

To all of you who were hoping that I would dismember the BWB (Big White Blob), I apologize. Before I came to accept my fate, I tried to find a way around the scripted end to the war, and none came. I shall have to await a future war with Austria. Meantime, I'm fixed in the grasps of the BRO! The Big Red Octopus which is the British Empire! These folks just do not give up!

Aachen, thank you for your kind comments! And welcome to the Forum. I am truly honored to be graced with your first post!

Ghostwriter, welcome! And I'm honored to provide your introduction to Vicky! I'm an HOI player from a ways back, but never did an AAR (I might put together an Imperial Argentina AAR, based on an old game I played (successfully!) up to 1942, and could resurrect). As to your evaluation of the playing field during my campaign against France, I think you are essentially right that the UK would feel moved to act, but democracies being what they are, I think they simply felt constrained. Britain's mind was all for intervention, perhaps (Q.Victoria, Prince Albert, etc.), but her heart (the shopkeepers) just wasn't in it. Historically, Britain did stand by when France invaded Prussia in 1870, though the French advances weren't nearly so dramatic. Perhaps Britain would have come to Prussia's aid had Louis Napoleon taken all of the Rhineland!

Oh, and Ghostwriter, p.s... Thank you (this Veteran's Day and everyday) for your service in the US Army! It means alot to me.

El-Rey, on to Paris, yes... except that at this point there are British divisions across the whole of the western and northern French coast! I will have to perform some gymnastics to get them out of there, I think.

Lord Greven... Well, I am always glad when the vampire laughs good-naturedly! ;) Glad to have provided you some amusement!

Coz... Yes, it's those darned Brits! :mad: This is going to be a long war.

Pablo Sanchez... Thank you for posting! I quite agree that it would have been preferable to take Bohemia, as you and Aachen both suggest. But in trying to not over-mod this thing, and accept the limitations placed upon me by the game, I chose to be very gracious in my territorial demands. As it was, I still came away with two more provinces than the computer gave me! :D

Draco... Yes, the dismemberment of the Habsburg Empire will be interesting, when the time comes. I've developed a new event which I think improves upon the game events. But it's a little complicated, and built to work primarily with my game. It might not work with others, but if someone wants to see what I've done I'd be glad to send it along. After it fires in my game, of course! Wouldn't want to ruin the suspense.

Von Lippe and Heretic, you faithful readers and posters, you! Thank you again. Deutschland uber alles may play, one of these days. And perhaps I will have Habsburg sattelites, too... Rumania seems a likely suspect. Cornelius, you still reading??? ;)

My apologies... My writing may be slower in coming over the next week or two. Not only would I like some resolution to the war with Britain so I can have perspective on what I write, but also I am close to doing it... to making that breathtaking leap into self-employment as a local newspaper editor. I'm making the final calculations now, and though I need to firm up some more details and support, I think I'm close to committing. Please wish me the best!

Rensslaer

Lord G. Q. White said:
Wow, excellent work against the Austrian's. That's a tough blow by the peace treaty, your version of what they said to you made me laugh. It's nice to see that you made it more realistic though and explained it. Now I know what to expect whenever I play Prussia and get in a war with Austria.
so (to you experienced players), in game terms, what is the effect of a war with Austria that ends with no gains of territory as this event provided, other than an increase in Prussian debt? :(

also, what is the current Prussian debt, and how can you tell by looking at the screenies?

how viable would it be to have General Kameke reinforce either the main China operations or one the African operations? are there any British forces in Africa besides at South Africa? has England made any attempts to initiate actions against your colonies? over all, it seems that you are doing rather well. keep it up! :D

OH, and don't forget to encircle as many English divisions as you can in north and western France! :D also, how does supply work in Victoria? are those English units mucking around France in supply or out of supply? tia.

GhostWriter said:
so (to you experienced players), in game terms, what is the effect of a war with Austria that ends with no gains of territory as this event provided, other than an increase in Prussian debt? :(

also, what is the current Prussian debt, and how can you tell by looking at the screenies?

how viable would it be to have General Kameke reinforce either the main China operations or one the African operations? are there any British forces in Africa besides at South Africa? has England made any attempts to initiate actions against your colonies? over all, it seems that you are doing rather well. keep it up! :D

OH, and don't forget to encircle as many English divisions as you can in north and western France! :D also, how does supply work in Victoria? are those English units mucking around France in supply or out of supply? tia.
In the 19th Century, there was a contest of wills between Prussia and Austria for "leadership of Germany". The Seven Weeks War of 1866 was the culmination of this, and in game terms the loser basically goes home and promises (hollow, in game terms, perhaps) not to contest for leadership again.

My current debt is climbing up through the 450-500,000 pound range (the vast majority of it since the war started), which is fairly large, but if I can wrap this up quickly I should still be able to pay it off over time. I'm not all that good at managing a war economy, and it tends to add up. You can tell through a couple of means -- either by the cash-on-hand figure (far right side at top) being routinely lower than 100 (which means I'm taking loans) or bby the Industrial Score, which goes down and even into the negative due to the negative net worth caused by debt.

Kameke and others are wandering to far-flung British colonies. At this point in the game, I've only encountered British regular forces in South Africa, not in the rest of Africa. Later, you will see some irregulars pop up. For whatever reason, the Brits are concentrated entirely on my European possessions -- France, Spain, and an occasional appearance in Prussia or Russia.

The Battle of Western France is about to ensue! Victoria does not measure supply in the way HOI does. The disadvantage of being isolated is in opportunities to retreat, so if I play my game right I may be able to eliminate large numbers of British divisions. However, in Vicky it is possible (by living off the land and not requiring oil, etc.) to march across long stretches of enemy territory, as KP Fritz did in Spain.

I would heartily recommend Vicky to you. Rather than world conquest, which is important too, it has a lot more focus on economics, colonization and population management than HOI -- it's not merely a conquest game, it's an imperialism and industrial revolution sim. Unlike HOI, it's theoretically possible in Vicky to come out at or near the top primarily by improving your industry, though it's likely that at some point you'll be on someone's target list.

Renss

Rensslaer said:
it's theoretically possible in Vicky to come out at or near the top primarily by improving your industry, though it's likely that at some point you'll be on someone's target list.

Renss

Exactly. I just finished a GC as Switzerland (VIP, Normal/Normal). From 1836 to 1920 I did nothing but economics & research. Finished the game as the 7th Great Power without ever being in a war or taking any lands!

But that's OT. More to the point: MORE!!! :D

Von Lippe said:
Exactly. I just finished a GC as Switzerland (VIP, Normal/Normal). From 1836 to 1920 I did nothing but economics & research. Finished the game as the 7th Great Power without ever being in a war or taking any lands!

But that's OT. More to the point: MORE!!! :D
Switzerland atop the world! Now that would make a unique AAR, even if you don't engage in combat. I'm sure that would teach me a thing or two about running an economy, to be sure. Have you ever done an AAR? It would certainly not be a typical one, but I often think the oddballs are more interesting.

You won't believe it from my AAR, but my original intent with mine -- the founding paradigm, so to speak -- was to largely avoid conflicts with great powers and concentrate on building my economy and colonial empire in peacetime while picking off a few minor powers like Oman and Egypt to cultivate a resource base! How far off that was, eh?

Sorry, but I'm going to be down a few more days. I'm in process of giving notice at my current job and starting my newspaper. There is lots to do on a short timetable, and I've got to hustle to get subscribers, so... Not alot of playing or writing time this week, I must suspect. But soon enough I'll be back to it, having missed it all this time. My next two updates are theatre sketches -- Asia and France -- so perhaps I can rip one out in a lunchhour. We'll have to see!

Thank you for your continued interest!

Renss

Rensslaer: In the 19th Century, there was a contest of wills between Prussia and Austria for "leadership of Germany". The Seven Weeks War of 1866 was the culmination of this, and in game terms the loser basically goes home and promises (hollow, in game terms, perhaps) not to contest for leadership again.

contest of wills, i will accept. :rolleyes: on the ground, it was no contest. :cool: Bismarck even used the French to assist in the unification of Germany, no small feat. for some reason, this and other things remind me of a Prussian calvary charge in said Franco-Prussian war. it is in Military History, Aug 1996, page 58, title of "Von Bredow's Death Ride at Mars-La-Tour"

Rensslaer: My current debt is climbing up through the 450-500,000 pound range (the vast majority of it since the war started), which is fairly large, but if I can wrap this up quickly I should still be able to pay it off over time. I'm not all that good at managing a war economy, and it tends to add up. You can tell through a couple of means -- either by the cash-on-hand figure (far right side at top) being routinely lower than 100 (which means I'm taking loans) or by the Industrial Score, which goes down and even into the negative due to the negative net worth caused by debt.

perhaps a economics lesson from an experienced player could help. as a judge or gauge, how does England handle its finances during war? i did notice the negative Industrial Score in at least one post. thanks for the explanation.

Rensslaer: Kameke and others are wandering to far-flung British colonies. At this point in the game, I've only encountered British regular forces in South Africa, not in the rest of Africa. Later, you will see some irregulars pop up. For whatever reason, the Brits are concentrated entirely on my European possessions -- France, Spain, and an occasional appearance in Prussia or Russia.

your irregulars, or England's? from the standpoint of why England DOW'd you, they should be trying to reduce your European land holding and influence. however, you can use that to your advantage. just keep the coast of France clear of troops and let the English land as many troops as they want to. of course, you get to trap them without losses. :D

Rensslaer: The Battle of Western France is about to ensue! Victoria does not measure supply in the way HOI does. The disadvantage of being isolated is in opportunities to retreat, so if I play my game right I may be able to eliminate large numbers of British divisions. However, in Vicky it is possible (by living off the land and not requiring oil, etc.) to march across long stretches of enemy territory, as KP Fritz did in Spain.

yes, that is what i would like to see. :D

Rensslaer: I would heartily recommend Vicky to you. Rather than world conquest, which is important too, it has a lot more focus on economics, colonization and population management than HOI -- it's not merely a conquest game, it's an imperialism and industrial revolution sim. Unlike HOI, it's theoretically possible in Vicky to come out at or near the top primarily by improving your industry, though it's likely that at some point you'll be on someone's target list.

guess i will order Victoria tomorrow... :cool: this does look like a game i will enjoy.

did i say excellent AAR? excellent AAR! :cool:

Ghostwriter, glad to hear you've decided to take up Vicky! It's worth the effort, and soon becomes more fun than effort.

I will have to look up that article on von Bredow's Death Ride. I'd seen an account, in brief, of this, and it sounded fascinating. I will have to look at a more detailed account.

Thank you very much for your kind words, sir! Good to have you as a readAAR! I'm really going to put out an effort to do at least one update this week. Shall it be France or Asia??? Hmm...

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Ghostwriter, glad to hear you've decided to take up Vicky! It's worth the effort, and soon becomes more fun than effort.

I will have to look up that article on von Bredow's Death Ride. I'd seen an account, in brief, of this, and it sounded fascinating. I will have to look at a more detailed account.

Thank you very much for your kind words, sir! Good to have you as a readAAR! I'm really going to put out an effort to do at least one update this week. Shall it be France or Asia??? Hmm...

got it. (x3) :cool: Military History should be available thru interlibrary loan, if nothing else... if you find another account of von Bredow's Death Ride, please let me know. :D

i vote for France or Asia for your next update! i guess you can tell i ain't picky. :D

My sentiments exactly, Heretic!

So, how goes things, Ren?