Europa Universalis IV Developer Diary 11 - The Cost & Reward for Technology

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes it is already in place - but i like a challenge & being somewhat nervous about deciding to make scientific reforms & advancements is something that could provide the player with a big 'relief' if his action goes through succesfully.

Maybe it could be something for a 'Expert/Hardcore' difficulty setting.
I don't see how it's challenging to randomly and rarely outright fail at something you just dumped points into.
It's like a vending machine that sometimes gives you an empty can.

Also, it's one of those ideas that just screams Save/Reload. I know I would if I lost two years worth of points on a 2% chance to fail.

edit: Or to put it another way, imagine this: you're playing as France, and you decide to reclaim one of your cores from... let's say Burgundy. You declare war, and a grueling campaign ensues, but in the end you have them on the run. But wait! You just failed the 5% Poor Military Leader check! You automatically lose/white peace out of the war! Sorry pal, try again in five years.

Last edited:
Yes it is already in place - but i like a challenge & being somewhat nervous about deciding to make scientific reforms & advancements is something that could provide the player with a big 'relief' if his action goes through succesfully.

Maybe it could be something for a 'Expert/Hardcore' difficulty setting.

I really really like the random element of the monach and how it can cause your empire to stagnate/decline. In EU3 is was up up and up. The only way to decline was from outside influence, mainly just war. Get to the point were you can beat anybody, or have strong allies and the empire will just grow out of control.

The new system allows for a new type of playing. Instead of growing... and growing... and growing... I now have to consilidate my empire. Keep it together until I get a leader who can actually add 2+2. That sounds really exciting to me. ie picking Austria and growing my influence and military might. Becoming a strong empire which can match anybody in 1v1. In EU3 that is it, unless a dogpile happens (which is SP it does not) then unless you make a stupid mistake - your set for 100s of years.

In EUIV, if I then get a stupid King, I now have to try and survive. My enemies will be growing stronger and looking jealously at my power. They might believe it is the time to strike and attack me. I have to then struggle to survive the outside and inside influences. I may lose a couple of provinces and strategic relationships...

Then I get a genius. I raise my armies and strike back at the vultures. Carving them up and teaching them a valuable lesson.

To me that sounds really great and I love the direction they have gone.

Edit - I also noticed something interesting about the diplomatic group. There are 4 envoy icons. With, what I assume is the merchant, not greyed out. I assume this may be an additional use for envoys? Or am I reading too much into it :p

I really really like the random element of the monach and how it can cause your empire to stagnate/decline. In EU3 is was up up and up. The only way to decline was from outside influence, mainly just war. Get to the point were you can beat anybody, or have strong allies and the empire will just grow out of control.

The new system allows for a new type of playing. Instead of growing... and growing... and growing... I now have to consilidate my empire. Keep it together until I get a leader who can actually add 2+2. That sounds really exciting to me. ie picking Austria and growing my influence and military might. Becoming a strong empire which can match anybody in 1v1. In EU3 that is it, unless a dogpile happens (which is SP it does not) then unless you make a stupid mistake - your set for 100s of years.

In EUIV, if I then get a stupid King, I now have to try and survive. My enemies will be growing stronger and looking jealously at my power. They might believe it is the time to strike and attack me. I have to then struggle to survive the outside and inside influences. I may lose a couple of provinces and strategic relationships...

Then I get a genius. I raise my armies and strike back at the vultures. Carving them up and teaching them a valuable lesson.

To me that sounds really great and I love the direction they have gone.

Edit - I also noticed something interesting about the diplomatic group. There are 4 envoy icons. With, what I assume is the merchant, not greyed out. I assume this may be an additional use for envoys? Or am I reading too much into it :p

Exactly how I want it to be

I also noticed something interesting about the diplomatic group. There are 4 envoy icons. With, what I assume is the merchant, not greyed out. I assume this may be an additional use for envoys? Or am I reading too much into it :p

I think it's just that tech can give you new envoys. All the icons on the right seems to be the total of bonus given by your tech so far.

I think it's just that tech can give you new envoys. All the icons on the right seems to be the total of bonus given by your tech so far.

Yeah true. It's what I initially thought. But then I wondered why is the merchant lit up while the rest are greyed? Unless I guess that means you get one extra merchant this tech and it is normally greyed. Just wondered what is new :p

Edit - After looking again I don't agree with what I wrote. On the left is what you get from the new tech, I assume.
The diplomatic 'Early Carrick' seems to give the carrick, some naval morale, colonisation range and something else (the hammer and paint brush? Maybe colonisation chance?). Then on the right is Poland's current modifiers, ie 20% TE, 0.1 extra Naval morale etc. So why is only 1/4 envoys lit up? Furthermore it is actually not in the box with the modifiers (the box is darker blue) So they could be buttons?

We're always hard at work improving our user interface and we've done the technology one so that it is as transparent as possible.
Since techs still have a due date and ahead-of-time penalties, would it be worth showing that date on the interface? It would make planning ahead a little easier - "No point in spending points on that tech for another five years" if you're ahead - and conversely it would give feedback to let you know how far behind you're dropping compared to history.

Nice stuff, really like this system.

Also I am curious you mention monarch points will be used in building construction, will it be a secondary corrency (x building costs y gold and z admistrative points) or only specific buildings will cost points like universities?

Next week, we take a look at the most eagerly awaited details on EU4.

What a tease, I wonder what it will be. The thing I was most waiting for was the new trade system and that already had a DD.

These changes look good.

When you decide to research a new technology i think there should be a chance you should fail - all dependant on your leader admin skills - so a leader with poor tech skill could have a 15% chance of failure when spending points (this could also simulate that a leader with ignorance toward technology could lead to scientific stagnation!)

does this sound feasible/appropriate?

No.

I wonder what the "hammer and brush" and the coats of arms mean to.

+1 Though i was thinking it could be some sort of construction speed.

Im even more curious to the second row under Military. Is that supply limit and combat width or?

Also nice to see the envoys are also color coded now, will make it easier to quickly differentiate the envoys :)

Last edited:
Yeah true. It's what I initially thought. But then I wondered why is the merchant lit up while the rest are greyed? Unless I guess that means you get one extra merchant this tech and it is normally greyed. Just wondered what is new :p

It allows merchant placement.

Since techs still have a due date and ahead-of-time penalties, would it be worth showing that date on the interface? It would make planning ahead a little easier - "No point in spending points on that tech for another five years" if you're ahead - and conversely it would give feedback to let you know how far behind you're dropping compared to history.

The tooltip for the tech tells you exactly how many years ahead you are and how much that increases the cost.

Screenshot of the Balkan and (old) Russia please, pretty please! While im at it, screenie of Mongolia and Manchuria wouldnt be bad either.

All in good time :)

There is a tooltip now on the cost bar that says all modifiers on the cost, and you can see the date there.