• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Changing demand in the economic model. Right now from what I can tell, once a pop type meets 100% of their luxury needs for something, they stop demanding and start saving. The problem I notice is that certain populations end up with HUGE savings, they never dip into to spend. In reality, I think POPs should have unlimited demand for luxury goods and a fixed income percentage that they try to save if their basic and intermediary needs are met first. After I meet my amount of desired savings, I would go back to consuming more of luxury goods, because I can afford it. Capitalists would want to save the most in theory.

For one capitalist:

1st I start making income. I spend it on basic needs and intermediate needs. Once those are 100% satisfied I start consuming luxury goods. Once my luxury goods are 100% fulfilled, I start saving a percentage of my income. Once I am saving that percentage of my income, and i STILL have income, I go back to demanding luxury goods... In this way, I think you would avoid the problem of excess supply for certain goods and it would reflect the reality that my economy would shift over time from producing a lot of basic widgets, to producing fewer basic widgets (as I become more efficient due to technology) and more of my economy moving over to the production of luxury goods and specific services.

I would like a detach siege button for armies to reduce the number of clicks needed to leave behind one brigade to occupy a province.

I would also like an option to set transports to auto-hunt rebels, so that they can work with armies set to auto-hunt rebels to clean out the legion of 1-brigade uprising in the south pacific islands.

I would like to see the ability to split New Zealand into two different countries (insert new names for the South Island and North Island countries, neither of which would be called New Zealand).

More in-depth combat mechanics. Make me actually pause and think about whether I want to build a hussar or a dragoon.

Also, I find it kind of hard to believe that I, as a King of France in 1836, can see exactly what's going on in my ally Russia's Far East territory as it's happening, tens of thousands of kilometers away, even before the invention of the telegraph. Some sort of latency or fog-of-war needs to exist I think.

I would like it for troops to be able to attack Artillery units on the 2nd level after the units in front of them have been completely wiped out. It makes no sense that I'm able to defeat units and draw them down to 0 troops and then the Artillery units are able to get off several rounds of free attacks without being able to do anything about it.

I would like it for troops to be able to attack Artillery units on the 2nd level after the units in front of them have been completely wiped out. It makes no sense that I'm able to defeat units and draw them down to 0 troops and then the Artillery units are able to get off several rounds of free attacks without being able to do anything about it.

Wait, that actually happens in the game?

Dynamic political parties would be divine. Both seeing policy positions shift (E.g. So protectionism is a big issue for a lot of POPs? What happens when the losing party changes its trade policy to win votes?) and also government ministers would rock and make the political side of the game much more interesting.

Wait, that actually happens in the game?

It can. Troops reorganize every 5 rounds at the same time you roll your dice. So if your troops happen to completely wipe out another infantry unit, they remain there as dead units until the troops reorganize at the beginning of the new dice roll. If any artillery units are stuck behind those dead units, they get free rounds of fighting while you wait for the troops to reorganize.

One thing I would like to see changed, but which might take a lot of effort, would be for rebels to be able to use provinces and states they occupy to train units or build things.
This would model civil wars I feel, without the issue of having to create new countries, and it would also potentially allow for an avoidance of a full-on civil war, since you could
have one event path leading to the CSA forming, and another to just a bunch of CSA nationalists rising up, or something...

What do you think?

Most governments abolished slavery before granting compensation, rather than buying all the slaves their freedom.

Technically when Russia freed all their serfs, they paid the serf owners. Also they required the serfs to pay back the debt owed to the government. Of course this led to abject poverty amoung the poor in Russia directly leading to the Russian revolution...

I would enjoy a game of where every country that's able to revolt/form/free itself/ be independent is, I do believe it would have a wonderful effect on the game instead of just "UK Dominate everything.".

It's be nice to be able to take and give to puppet states, even if they lack cores, see Poland at the end of WW2. It'd be really nice to be able to, say, make a buffer state more effective by giving it some provinces neighboring an enemy, or be able to keep some of your cores if you share some (For instance, A-H releasing B-M/Czechia but keeping the Sudetenland provinces).

Going on that, if your country gets particularly split up due to Revaunchism or the like, have some of the small nations start picking up cores in your area and later get a similiar-to-CSA event for breaking off. For example, if Germany forms and they start heavily mistreating South Germans in both militancy and ideology, Bavaria's cores would spread across the SGF before declaring independence if their demands aren't met.

Armies with Auto-Hunt-Rebels should fight rebels first, then free occupied provinces.
So frustrrating when all my rebel hunters are standing around while all the rebels are capturing twice as many provinces as are being freed.

I would love to see:
2) Give Prussia/ Germany an even better research school than Junker and that "von something" reform. Historically, Germany's army was unstoppable in 20th century.

Except when they were stopped, twice, in WWI and WWII ;). To be fair though, the Prussian army was the most formidable of post-Napoleonic Europe (Napoleon crushed the famous Prussian army, leading to a modernisation push which put them in that position), but I think the tech schools give enough of a boost to represent that.

In terms of tweaks I have one: the ability to sort through generals by stats not by traits and names. Frankly, I don't give a flying fig what my generals are called and neither have I remembered their traits. When assigning them to an army what I want to know is who has the best attack/defence value.

EDIT:
One thing I would like to see changed, but which might take a lot of effort, would be for rebels to be able to use provinces and states they occupy to train units or build things.
This would model civil wars I feel, without the issue of having to create new countries, and it would also potentially allow for an avoidance of a full-on civil war, since you could
have one event path leading to the CSA forming, and another to just a bunch of CSA nationalists rising up, or something...

What do you think?

I like this idea, though I suspect you would have to create another nation in order for it to work (like the CSA in the ACW). That said, it would be cool if Victoria stole the Rome VV civil war model. In this system a country is split between the rebels and the loyalists (which could happen in Vicky II when you get a proper uprising). Provinces change hands when they are occupied (don't need a treaty to get them) and can be used by both sides (if they own it) to build troops.

Last edited:
Except when they were stopped, twice, in WWI and WWII ;). To be fair though, the Prussian army was the most formidable of post-Napoleonic Europe (Napoleon crushed the famous Prussian army, leading to a modernisation push which put them in that position), but I think the tech schools give enough of a boost to represent that.

Hi Freeaxle,
Pound for pound, they were unstoppable... :rolleyes:

I am reading a few books at the same time, so I cannot be 100% sure where I read this from, but am pretty sure it is from France Since 1789 by Paul A. Gagnon. This is the interesting part:
It goes something like this,
(During early 19th century) For France to fight a hostile Italy (ie, independent Italian states), she needs only 2 brigades; to guard a neutral Italy, she needs 4 brigades; to protect an allied Italy, she needs 8 brigades...:D

Maybe an army school of thought that lower the quality of Italian army? :rolleyes:

Another suggestion: Give a graph, list or whatever somewhere that shows the total number of any good a pop is actually consuming. There is a graph that shows total demand for a good (assuming all pops had enough money to buy all they wanted, which they never do) and one which shows where a good you are producing is being consumed (you get this by clicking on the good icon in either the trade or production screen), but as far as I'm aware there isn't one which shows how much of a particular good is being consumed (including imports). It would be helpful for making a decision as to whether to expand a factory or not for example.

Hi Freeaxle,
Pound for pound, they were unstoppable... :rolleyes:

Ha ha, yes. I was being just a little facetious :)