• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Die freie Stadt Mainz - A great hunt for glory

After the failure in America Mainz turned back concentrating on Europe. In Sweden the Queen abdicated and left for Rome in fair of being executed by the French. A skilled king raised the throne who gave hope to Sweden and its people. The first Italian war was fought. It was the first of some short wars fought by Papal States on one hand and Genoa and Venice on the other. The first war ended in less than a year giving the pope more money. The Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth saw nothing but trouble in the mid 1600s. Civil war broke out and about the whole Polish-Lithuanian coastline was captured by rebels, however not the Finnish. It ended with victory for the king but Poland was weak for a long time and it was always a risk that Finland should try to go for freedom. Austria annexed Baden in 1658 making Mainz and Würzburg the by far smallest countries in world.

1660 did Russia join the Italian alliance of Genoa and Venice and just some month later war was declared on the Golden Horde. In the middle of the offensive against the Horde and its allied Ak Koyunlu Papal States declared war once again starting the Second Italian war. After a while peace was concluded with the golden Horde for a small area. After that it took just some month to conclude peace with the pope too giving him even more money. After the war Papal States joins the French alliance. The Italian-Russian alliance was however not in peace for long as the czar soon declared war upon the emperor. Poland had guarantied the independence of Crimea so the risk for a major war became for a short time bigger. Poland did however not anything as they had inner trouble. Crimea later made peace giving Kerch to Russia. Not long afterwards the Emperor died and the new one was chosen. Leopold I of Austria.

thirditalianwar.gif

Third Italian war

The third Italian war was far more dangerous for anyone involved than the fist two. This time it was Genoa who declared war on Papal States. The minor conflict erupted in major war as Russia and Venice joined the war on Genoas side against the French alliance of France, Poland, Croatia and Papal States. France of course did advance into Italy to help the pope. The eyes of the world were however on the Polish-Russian border where most fighting in the war was done. After some battles over Novgorod where Poland was the final winner did the small armies of Russia and the far bigger armies of Poland lay sieges on some big cities. It was obvious that Poland was after Ingermanland to connect Finland with the rest of their realm. That was as far as it came because at this point Genoa gave up Siena to the French and thus ending the war.

Last edited:
I'd have to say - it's pretty lucky for you that Italy is such a mess right now, otherwise France would be looking straight at you.

Die freie Stadt Mainz - A great hunt for glory.

Although the Third Italian war did not change the power balance in Europe it would not be for long. Only days after the peace Russia did once again declare war upon The Golden Horde and its ally Ak Koyunlu. Aragon did end its wars in America in the late month of the year when peace had settled negotiations with England begun resulting in that their land now was under direct English rule. England now got strategic important islands in the Mediterranean and a new border to France making themselves more powerful and dangerous for France.

engara.gif

English holdings in the Medeteranian.

A year after Russia’s declaration of war did the Horde conclude peace with the Ottoman sultanate giving away the province of Dagestan (more or less today’s Azerbaijan). When the Ottomans were no longer in war with them they could concentrate on Russia. It showed out that Russia did not even could keep their holdings, even less take anything new. Russia lost the war and it was now obvious that they became so weakened in the Third Italian war that they would probably not stand another war against Poland.

There where however no major risk for a war as a civil war had erupted in Poland. The nobles who were fighting for the power managed to take control over several cities around the commonwealth and also raise a smaller army. The king had soon defeated the enemies’ army and within two years he had full control over Poland-Lithuania and most of the area in Finland. There were however a small area around Åbo and the city itself that would stand for another ten years.

After the failure against the Golden Horde did Russia go for Crimea. Although the world had paid much attention in the last war it did not see how fast the success came it this one. In just two month Crimea was a part of Russia. As the world did not see the sign that Russia still had some competence left and August 16th 1675 Poland did declare war upon Russia even though they had not full control over Finland. Although Russia failed to withstand their enemies did they better than Poland had expected. France sent some men to help and they managed to take several cities. In 1678 France left the battlefield for the Kola Peninsula and the area Russia had taken from Crimea some years before. Without France help was not Poland able to advance anymore.

crimea.gif

View over Crimean land

With the French army far away in Russia and with low inner stability in France Mainz took the opportunity to grab some area from France. War was declared in September 5th 1678 and the Army from the small German crossed the border to France. The very next day Austria did join the war. They met a small French force but were defeated and they retreated back into their own lands. Some time later a second attempt to take some land was made more to the south in Lorraine, a province which only bordered to Austria. A siege was laid on the local city Nancy with good results. Some month after the siege had begun a French army did lay a siege on Mainz. The army was mostly cavalry so the progress was small. When Nancy was about to fall did a bad winter stroke. Many Mainzians died in the cold weather and when the winter was over there were not so many soldiers left that the siege could be finished. The Frenchmen however, was so many that even after the hard winter they could continue the siege. They were just some month away from capturing the city and there were no Austrian help in sight.

Last edited:
Argh! The French are always a pain in the butt!

This could be it. Tough luck that winter couldn't wait just a little longer, but...well, maybe you'll get that Austrian help. We can hope.

I will begin to work on next update now. However I don't know if I have played enough to make an update. I tries to make an update every weekend but as I have three AARs ongoing at the same time I maybe can't fullfill the goal every time. If I haven't played enogh to make an update it maybe will be delayed.

Mainz was just some days away from falling to the French army when peace was offered giving the cities Berlin, Hannover and their surroundings to Austria. This was a great relief for both Mainz and France. It secured the very survival of Mainz and it made Austria stop its advance in France which otherwise could have caused France to fall apart. Although the war did not give or take anything from Mainz and had little impact on Austria it was crucial for other European nations. Poland transferred most of their troops to the Austrian border leaving little defence against the Russians. Although they did not fight much against Austria they did not move back any troops to Russia till the war against Austria was over. It made even Russia win the war against Poland but with little marginal. France power in Scandinavia was decreased after the war as they did not have any land connection even to Denmark. It made Venice able to land there and occupy several provinces and Sweden to survive and even win the war which was an attempt to make a fourth partition of them. The Franco-German war did also give an opportunity for Eire to go for independence. Eire lost the war but it gave Poland some holding on the island.

Bad things happened in Mainz after the peace. Noble families which had been powerful in Franconia secretly returned and took up arms against Mainz trying to take the power and recreate Franconia. A battle was fought which the rebels won against all odds. The rebels laid siege on Mainz and because Mainz had suffered so big casualties during the battle they were not able to strike back. They retreated to Austria and waited for the rebels to die when the cold came on the winters. Mainz city walls protected so good that the rebels did no progress at all. Due to the turbulent times Mainz run out of money and had to take a loan. The loan was difficult for Mainz to pay back as they did gain less income due to the rebels.

croatia.gif

Croatia after the war.

In September 1685 did Austria enter Croatia and declare war upon the nation. Although Croatia’s army was big it stood no chance against Austria which soon captured Zagreb. The rest of the country was however a hard nut to crack. In the end did Austria take almost all but Sarajevo but with big casualties. Croatia accepted peace giving the province Krain to Austria.

On November 8th 1688 did Poland, although it still had several inner troubles and instability, declare war upon Russia and thus start the third Polish-Russian war and the Fifth Italian war.

Seems like you might want either Austria or France to break apart. You might be able to snack on the leftovers.

December 3rd 1688, one month after that Poland went in war against Russia, Austria did declare war on Poland. Austria’s allies Mainz and the Knights of St. John did follow the very same day. At the same hour as the message reached London England did declare Poland war and two days later did their allies Portugal and Spain join the war. Of course France did stand by Poland’s side against all the aggressors. Poland and France was now in war on all fronts. It took however only four month until France and the British-Iberian alliance signed a peace treaty making France pay a small amount of gold. Then France and Poland concluded a peace with Russia, Genoa and Venice giving Crimea back to Russia. Austria and Mainz was now France’s and Poland’s only active enemies on the continent.

As Mainz now was in war they attacked the rebels outside Mainz to free the city. It became a bloody battle in which all Mainz’s soldiers became killed or captured. Mainz had now no army, Austria never passed through their territory to free the city and they were in war against France. Soon France did attack the rebels who had camped outside Mainz. The rebels were quickly beaten and the soldiers fled the field. Mainz now faced an even bigger enemy and there were still nothing to do. Then France suddenly did interrupt the siege to fight an Austrian army which tried to take Heidelberg leaving Mainz without anyone to guard the city. Mainz quickly sent out some men to recruit soldiers to an army. Mainz had in some month 8000 infantry soldiers. Nothing in comprehension with Austria or France but it was enough to siege a city with a weak city wall if not interrupted. The army did however not leave Mainz as the area around Mainz was full of French units. In December 1690 did France attack Mainz once again and once again did they achieve total victory against their enemies. Mainz tried to make peace with France but the French king did not want to negotiate at all with Mainz. He did however make peace with Austria for the province of Alsace leaving Mainz all alone with no military at all or any big amount of money to give to France for peace.

fallofmainz2.gif

Western europe after the fall of Mainz.

May 2nd 1692 did French forces break through the walls of Mainz and capture the city.

Last edited:
Well, I hate to say it was a matter of time, but it seemed simply too late in the game with France that big and Mainz not...it just seemed inevitable. But a brave chance taken in trying to see how long Mainz would survive. Bravo for that.

Hopefully we will see another from you soon.

coz1 said:
Well, I hate to say it was a matter of time, but it seemed simply too late in the game with France that big and Mainz not...it just seemed inevitable. But a brave chance taken in trying to see how long Mainz would survive. Bravo for that.

Hopefully we will see another from you soon.
I didn't give up the last time Mainz disappered. I still thinks France can't stay. I can acctually say now that there will be about three more updates.

And I will probably do another EUII AAR after this. It will, however, be much more work than this one.

Snake IV said:
I didn't give up the last time Mainz disappered. I still thinks France can't stay. I can acctually say now that there will be about three more updates.

And I will probably do another EUII AAR after this. It will, however, be much more work than this one.
Do you plan to wait for them to revolt again or will you release them as a vassal and then continue as them?

Duke of Wellington said:
Do you plan to wait for them to revolt again or will you release them as a vassal and then continue as them?
Revolt. I've acctally already played the game finnished now. (First GC I've ever finnished acctually. Normaly I leaves the game if it goes too bad to come back later. And you know what that means ;) And I could make those big jumpes in time here.) There will be something like three or four more updates as I've already perdicted.