• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You were annexed by rebels???Ouch...well I think you should play as Franconia, and see if things will be better for them :)

Either might make for an interesting story. Go for it.

Someting reminded me that I just abbanoded this AAR so I play on this game waiting for rebels in Mainz, AND THEY DID REBEL. So this AAR is abbanoded no more. YES. Update soon.

Die freie Stadt Mainz - A great hunt for glory

In the next couple of years Mainz had a friendly foreign politic. Although a alliance whit France was out of reach royal marriages was arranges between Mainz and the great trading nations of Genoa and Venice. The relations whit Hungary also improved.

A new archbishop arrived in Mainz and did some more tries to make a conclusion with France but the Frenchmen did agree on neither an alliance nor military access for Mainz. The goal of taking Antwerpen was far away.

In November 1462 did France declare England war so Mainz send their in comprehension small army to the English border to try to grab some land. No war was however declared and a lot of proposals were sent to France and Burgundy. After three years since the latest English-French war started Mainz finally made to join the alliance. Mainz did join France war against England and went to action immediately. It did not take long until the small Mainz army had besieged in Flandern. After a while did however liberty forces arrive to drive the enemies away. The battle was short and the army of Mainz could not perform anything whit the odds that were. The army retreated into France and waited for reinforcements which were badly needed. Whit the new reinforcements a new siege on Antwerp was attempted. However the Frenchmen were there first so they led the siege. The English attacked once again but this time their victory was not. More unsuccessful attempts from the English side were made. Soon Antwerpen fell but the French flag was now the on in the neighborhood. The duke of Mainz became very disappointed but there was nothing he could do. The peace was soon concluded giving provinces to Scotland, ally to France, in the British Isles were they hold more of England than England themselves.

Mainz army was now still on the border of England waiting for the next war. This was a very bad decision made in Mainz court. The noble Rudolf of Pfalz had fooled the peasants too help him grab the power and declare an independent state of his own. Rudolf’s army camped outside the walls of Mainz but they made little progress as Mainz had a strong defense wall. But the army on the border of England was too small to dive of the quite big army Rudolf had build up so they moved so far they could without risking a battle but not any longer. When winter came Rudolf’s bad entertained army begun dieing in the cold when Mainz army survived to the last man. But when spring came the army was still big enough to scare Mainz’s army and hold them at distance. Little progress was made and the time was on Mainz’s side. More winters came and went killing more and more of Rudolf’s army. The solider were tired of that nothing happened and Rudolf had to pay them more and more money. Then Rudolf made a last run for it and recruited more men. More progress was being made. The future looked dark for both Mainz and its brand new monarch Dietrich II.

Fore the purpose to re-concur its lost area England declared war on Scotland. Mainz was the first to join the war. Their very small army now was on the hunt for a town to go to exile in for the duke and his court. One again the goal was Antwerpen. This siege determined the fait of Die freie Stadt Mainz and unsurprisingly it was lost. On the way there Mainz army clashed whit an army from Aragon and the army fought to the last man. Not a single man survived and by that did Die freie Stadt Mainz not that either.

franconia.gif

Mainz is gone. Rudolf of Franconia is now the local ruler

By the middle of 1478 did Rudolf finally take Mainz and had the archbishop expelled. He did declare the free nation of Franconia which had claims on half south Germany. Mainz was gone to not being recreated for almost 200 years.

Last edited:
Can some moderator change the name of the AAR so it's not against the german grammatic. (Die freie Stadt Mainz)

Die freie Stadt Mainz - A great hunt for glory

After their declaration of independence Franconia made a short and rapid expansion concurring big territories they had claim on. After that they remained in peace for a long time. They were alliance less when the major powers Austria and France keeping a close eye on each other waiting for a time to strike. In the beginning of the 17th century Franconia begun to fall apart due to dispute over the country’s religion. Franconia entered an alliance with the holy roman emperor, king of Crimea, for protection. The emperor’s power had decreased heavily the last century as more and more of the German minors disappeared into growing powers. Finally Franconia only held Mainz and its surroundings when rebels, led by nobles who were against the king and wanted the former duchy, sieged the city. The king, fearing his life, surrendered to the rebels and fled to Crimea were he died leaving no successors.

On the November 1st 1635 Mainz declared independence. The world was very different form when Mainz left it. At this point nothing can threaten France domination of the modern world. The only nations who were powerful enough to stand against France were Austria and Poland.* As both France and Poland saw Austria as their main enemy they had entered an alliance. Their relations grew even stronger when they made up to spit up the once powerful Sweden between them. In 1635 two partitions had been made.

Europe1635.gif

Europe November 1st 1635

Now when Mainz one again was independent the nobles met to decide who should be the new ruler. Many suggestions were discussed but at the end it was those who voted for the pope to decide an archbishop in an ordinal manner but more power for the nobles. The pope chose Anselm Kasimir to rule the little city and its surroundings.

Very soon Poland declared war upon Sweden to make the third partition of it. France immediately joined the war to ensure their gains of the dieing nation. A month later Mainz joined the alliance, partly for protection and partly to gain something of Sweden. The army was ordered to Scandinavia to fight. There was however a point missed. Würzburg was Sweden’s ally and will to fight for them. When Mainz joined the war Würzburg had no army so there was no immediate danger. But of course they began to build one and when ready it was put in field. Mainz army had made its way up in northern and it was not ordered back. Würzburg laid siege on Mainz and still nothing was ordered to the army.
First when the army was to cross the belts to Sjealland the order to return arrived.
But before Mainz army arrived anywhere peace was made giving big areas to France.
Peace laid once again over Europe.

As the strong gets stronger and the weak weaker is it possible for Mainz to get any bigger?

*France held at this point: main France itself, Basque and big parts of the northern Iberian peninsula, Ireland, Scotland, some area in former northern England, “the French corridor” in Germany, other German areas, Switzerland, Denmark, parts of Sweden and several oversees territories.

Last edited:
Great update!!!But how are you supposed to expand?You are surrounded by giants!!!

Saulta said:
Great update!!!But how are you supposed to expand?You are surrounded by giants!!!
Sooner or later France will fall. Then Mainz will be there.

You got a new avatar Saulta. nice one ;) . Almost personal as no one else use it.

Snake IV said:
Sooner or later France will fall. Then Mainz will be there.

You got a new avatar Saulta. nice one ;) . Almost personal as no one else use it.

Sounds good, :D

Yeah, it´s Aytthayas flag and since i´m about to start a new aar with, I figured that it would be fit in, :D

Saulta said:
Sounds good, :D

Yeah, it´s Aytthayas flag and since i´m about to start a new aar with, I figured that it would be fit in, :D
You got the wrong one. :wacko: . That's MAINZ shield not Aytthayas. :rofl: It is the old you can chose from. Then it's an elephant or something. But I have to admitt that the new shields are similar to eathother

Lucky that the rebels took Mainz back! Obviously a major civil war between the loyalists and Franconians! I've enjoyed your AAR so far. I hope you have better luck!

CatKnight said:
Lucky that the rebels took Mainz back! Obviously a major civil war between the loyalists and Franconians! I've enjoyed your AAR so far. I hope you have better luck!
A new reader. WOW This is my fines hour.

Snake IV said:
You got the wrong one. :wacko: . That's MAINZ shield not Aytthayas. :rofl: It is the old you can chose from. Then it's an elephant or something. But I have to admitt that the new shields are similar to eathother

Kvack!!!