• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are we talking about real life or Stellaris here?
Good catch. That part was indeed about the real life interaction between homo sapiens and other species of the Homo genus. A bit too on the nose. Wether the story itself is about that specific first contact or another example of an universal pattern of contact that leads to assimilation, is up to the reader.

Well that was all quite grim, but then this is Stellaris the place where hope goes to die and then be recycled as the warhead for an improved planet killing torpedo.
You should work for Paradox's marketing department. ;)

Given the limited word count I am impressed you fitted so much in, I had a fairly good picture of the People in relatively few words which is a hard trick to pull off. Oak Leaf's interaction with the ants was perhaps a bit on the nose as a bit of foreshadowing, but it certainly did the job.
Thank you! Weaving those kinds of metaphors into the story is a skill I still need to perfect. Too subtle and you're left unsure about wether the reader will notice, not subtle at all and it comes across as rather hamfisted. But I'm glad you liked it!

Reactions:
Genesis
Genesis

xqjpVKR.png

All creation implies previous destruction. A truth even our distant ancestors, simple minded and slow individuals living brief and inconsequential lives, were nonetheless aware of.

Despite how far we’ve came, that is one law of physics we will never be able to bend or break. We need solid matter to work our miracles.

And that is why, since the Arcturus Tribemind discovered the art of Universe Genesis, two hundred and twenty two million years ago, we have been snuffing out the stars of the Milky Way one by one. To feed our insatiable appetite for Creation.

For these last millions of years, Universe Genesis has been the occupation of choice of humankind. Hunger, suffering, death, and indeed even corporeal existence, have been eliminated. Inequality has been vanquished, as any nobody can now harness the matter of entire star systems and the energy of dozens of stars. Political strife, religious clashes, all are rendered meaningless now that anyone can proclaim themselves emperor of any deserted star system and clone a million dutiful cultists to their exact specifications.

Our worldly accomplishments, adventures and deeds all are surpassed in the fantastic realms of Deep Virtual-Reality, where any dream, any creative impulse, any wish, no matter how unfeasible in the real world, can be realised.

Is it any wonder then, that this fad has enthralled us all?

And, as has been the case through story, our fashions demand tangible sacrifice from our environment.

To create our universes, we accelerate a Star’s life circle, so it goes supernova in centuries instead of eons. For the descendant of the star, the black hole, is the seed of the new universe. Beyond the Singularity lies a wholly different reality, ours to tamper with as we wish, provided the correct steps are taken during the Supernova process.

Each year hundreds upon hundreds of stars go Supernova, the night sky turned into a dazzling fireworks display for every planet in our galaxy and beyond.

Within an eon or two, we will have exhausted all the stars in the Milky Way, our galaxy turned into both a graveyard of stars, and a nursery of universes. Then we will journey into the next galaxy and harvest it’s stars. Then the next, and the next, ad infinitum.

After creation, we are but observers, unable to communicate with, travel to, or interfere in any way with our Creation. During creation, however, our power is limitless. The laws of physics are ours to bend and twist however we wish, we can seed a million sapient species or make the universe barren of all life, we can fill it with swarms of galaxies or with a single lonely planet.

Our works are boundless in scope and diversity.

However, as of late, a disturbing trend has emerged across our Creations. More and more of us seem focused on creating Universes with one ever common theme: one intelligent species, seeded on a vast but barren universe, left free to grow and explore, turning outwards to a galaxy it hopes full of others only to find silence.

And when it looses hope of community, it discovers the message embed by the Creators in some fundamental mathematical formula, or on it’s genetic code, or on the disposition of galaxies in it’s observable horizon: “Sorry guys, your existence is just a mean joke.”.

Should we be concerned this kind of work is becoming more and more common? Is this a symptom of a species wide psychopathy? Do we need their pain to enjoy our power? In an age where we have conquered all that there is to conquer, discovered all there was unknown, do we derive pleasure from finding a way to exert control in realities foreign to ours?

Perhaps, but in any event we can at least rest content that it is not something which affects only our kind. We are not the first to think and act this way.

Credit for these devious impulses must go to those who created our own universe, and wrote their own message on the fabric of our reality.

Bastards.

From Confessions of the Creator, a message discovered by the species In’Ilk encoded in the digits 90000 to 9876 of Pi.

• 2Love
Reactions:
Firstly a round of applause, because that was a proper 'grappling with deep questions about reality and morality' sci-fi short story. I keep wanting to say fun but it really wasn't, playful perhaps is the word I'm looking for, certainly there was a lightness of tone that stopped the depressing nature of the subject matter overwhelming the piece. I'll happily admit I did not see the twist end coming, so very well done on that as well.

All in all a wonderful pre-Xmas treat.
DYAEiOu.gif

• 1Like
Reactions:
If this was set in a Stellaris universe, does that make us responsible for their mini-universes?

Also, there's a hint of horror here. Are these humans committing mass genocide on any other intelligent species? After all, they're making stars go supernova to power their new universes... and those stars might be in inhabited systems... How close to the star does a human need to be to do this creation?

Can humans enter their new universes during their creation?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Firstly a round of applause, because that was a proper 'grappling with deep questions about reality and morality' sci-fi short story. I keep wanting to say fun but it really wasn't, playful perhaps is the word I'm looking for, certainly there was a lightness of tone that stopped the depressing nature of the subject matter overwhelming the piece. I'll happily admit I did not see the twist end coming, so very well done on that as well.

All in all a wonderful pre-Xmas treat.
DYAEiOu.gif
Such lavish praise is certainly appreciated, Pip! These are my kind of favourite stories to write. They're more intellectually challenging, and I don't have dialogue to write and rewrite a dozen times.

I find a more lighthearted tone, without reaching comedy or parody, is often beneficial to science fiction stories. If it's all treated terribly seriously with plenty of doom and gloom, unless it's done by a very good writer, it begins to feel a bit exaggerated and hurts the reader's suspension of disbelief.

If this was set in a Stellaris universe, does that make us responsible for their mini-universes?
Indeed. Millions upon millions of them. And the Vultaum were right, in a way.

Also, there's a hint of horror here. Are these humans committing mass genocide on any other intelligent species? After all, they're making stars go supernova to power their new universes... and those stars might be in inhabited systems... How close to the star does a human need to be to do this creation?
No genocide occuring because in this universe there are no other intelligent species. Those who created humanity's universe only allowed for the development of one intelligent species.

I'd say the process of triggering a supernova can be done quite remotely by unmanned drones, with the mind of the artist/architect/creator safely stored in some planetary size computer, or wandering about in a massive pleasure yacht. At this technological stage, humans should be able to manipulate matter and energy in stellar scales with terrible ease.

Can humans enter their new universes during their creation?
No. They can do whatever they want from the outside, but never cross into the universe they create. Somewhat like Spinoza's god, human creators are limited in their influence to the laws of physics, chemistry and biology they lay down.

Reactions: