• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Regardless of who did it, they are legitimized.
Succesion is simply the first legitimite child (that's actually how it's defined in game). Once the bastard is legitimized, he's just as legit as other kids

Actually no, acknowledging a bastard and legitimizing are two different things or at least used to be.
I wonder if that is a bug or changed by intention once in a patch....

Actually no, acknowledging a bastard and legitimizing are two different things or at least used to be.
I wonder if that is a bug or changed by intention once in a patch....
If they're the heirs, they're legitimized-

If they're the heirs, they're legitimized-

Apparently, but if they are only acknowledged, then they shouldn't be.

Apparently, but if they are only acknowledged, then they shouldn't be.

I think I was getting acknowledged and legitimised mixed up.
That and my knowledge of feudal inheritence mainly comes from the old RPG Chivalry and Sorcery, perhaps not the most reliable source :D

Greets!
I was playing today with my new hungary game. Started as Magyars and captured pannonia. Created hungary with the decision and as still tengri pagan I started invasions in bavaria, croatia, serbia and bulgaria. The new territories were give to random generated noblemans who became my dukes, or High Chiefs of you wish. Now The succesion law is elective gavelkind and when my ruler died his 4 sons inherited 4 kingdoms. The kingdom of bavaria, croatia and serbia were nonexistent titles.
Why is the game autocreates these titles in the moment of succession? How can I prevent that from happening?

Greets!
I was playing today with my new hungary game. Started as Magyars and captured pannonia. Created hungary with the decision and as still tengri pagan I started invasions in bavaria, croatia, serbia and bulgaria. The new territories were give to random generated noblemans who became my dukes, or High Chiefs of you wish. Now The succesion law is elective gavelkind and when my ruler died his 4 sons inherited 4 kingdoms. The kingdom of bavaria, croatia and serbia were nonexistent titles.
Why is the game autocreates these titles in the moment of succession? How can I prevent that from happening?

Elective Gavelkind automatically creates all top-level titles on succession that can be created. It's a feature to make it harder for Pagans to keep their realms together. Tribal Pagans can't choose any other succession law. I can think of the following ways to prevent this:
- Have no sons or only one (legitimate) son. This is the only way the primary heir can get all kingdom titles on succession.
- Never hold more than 50% of any kingdom besides your primary (same for duchies if you're duke). Since kingdoms require 51% land held, they won't be created on ruler death. This is very unreliable as your vassals might decide to expand on their own and push you over the 50%. Also, this obviously limits your potential for expansion.
- Change religion to non-Pagan. I think that as a Christian tribal you can use normal Gavelkind (that doesn't create titles on its own) and as a Muslim you get Open.
- If you want to stay Pagan, reform to feudal/republic (but first the faith has to be reformed). Only then do you get access to other succession laws.
- Create an empire; you will still lose kingdom titles as it's Gavelkind but at least they'll stay under your rule.

Is it normal or a bug that my realm being split in Gavelkind between my son and a grandson, son of my elder son (and first heir) died in battle ?

What ??

Are you saying that your son and a grandson inherited your titles and if that is normal ? Errm....i think not, but errr....i'm not sure. Rarely play long enough in gavelkind.

edit: Oh, yeah. I think that's how it works, as it was the grandson through the first and oldest son and thus primary heir.

Last edited:
Normal, if your son dies, his first born son effectively takes his place in the succession

That is only the case for the first son, right ?
Say the second son died instead of the first, then his son wouldn't be eligible, as his father wasn't primary heir ?

The second son's son would then become secondairy heir, just as his father

Ah, good to know. I have a lack of experience with gavelkind. I thought only the primary line would be going to a son if the heir died.
Thanks.

....Aztecs.

They've now got about 70K breathing down Andalusia (Which I won a few months back on Crusade), while I have several rebellions around too.

Does anyone have a recommendation for fighting the Aztecs?

Reactions:
So, a very specific situation arose, and I'd like to try and see if anyone has experience regarding situations like this...

I'm the Queen of Gascogne (custom Kingdom). Among my territory is the Kingdom of Aragon, which seems to be a popular place for Jihads from Sunni and Shia alike.
I've beaten back two respective Jihads already, and currently I'm fighting another Shia one. So the main problem with Aragon is that the Shia like to land big numbers of troops on the island Duchy of Mallorce, where it is very difficult to drive them away.
In the last Jihad, luckily the HRE came to my rescue from boredom (as they won't leave the islands and it's not that easy for me to do a naval landing, I usually sit the Jihad out, chasing around other Shia units that come to the mainland) and staged the most massive naval landing I've ever seen to win the war for me.

This time, this isn't happening. I'm actually in a position to try and do a naval landing right now, but it is very risky still, and could cost me Aragon if I lose.

However... I noticed I am but two years away from drifting the duchy of Mallorca into the Kingdom of Gascogne.

Will it matter for the warscore when the de jure drift is finished? As of now, they're sitting at 34% due to having Mallorca occupied - if the Duchy of Mallorca is no longer part of the Jihad's target, will the number drop? It would be a lot easier to battle stragglers on the mainland down until they want a white peace.

Has anybody experienced this yet?

If you have a father who is a Mirza, what happens to any of his children? Do they become Sayyid (since their Paternal line now leads back to Muhammad), do they become Mirza too (since their Dad was only a Mirza himself) or do they lose all connection to the prophet? On the same line, what does a Mirza mother give her children, if anything?

If you have a father who is a Mirza, what happens to any of his children? Do they become Sayyid (since their Paternal line now leads back to Muhammad), do they become Mirza too (since their Dad was only a Mirza himself) or do they lose all connection to the prophet?

They have neither of the Sayyid/Mirza traits, or "lose all connection" as you put it.

On the same line, what does a Mirza mother give her children, if anything?

Nothing.