• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ive had limited success trying to do this with my Transformer Prime, which is pretty much the top end Android tablet (now WHOS sounding like a corp shill?!? :p)

But I believe it can be done. Neither the tablets nor the game are optimized to be used that way though so it adds a ... layer of potential issues.

Being stuck abroad with only a netbook for a year, I've actually been using OnLive for a few months now. It works surprisingly well, even with a connection that's rather meh - and I would have wished OnLive to start getting some real strategy titles into their lineup. CK2, for example. Too bad the Logmein thing still needs you to have a PC somewhere... gues I'll just have to wait till I get back to mine at home.

isn't this thread getting to close to being both obsolete (with regards to the mac version) and/or necromancic.

Agreed. And I also agree that titling the thread "..in a post-PC world." was begging it to be flamebait. Besides, your post seems suspiciously like a sales pitch, especially with the "Tell us your experience of PC strategy gaming on the iPad" part.

It does doesnt it? Odd post actually, it does seem like a sales pitch, whichever way he justifies it.

isn't this thread getting to close to being both obsolete (with regards to the mac version) and/or necromancic.

While I agree that the iPad focus/the Post-PC angle is somewhat provocative, I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. As I said before - I would love to be able to play CK2 on my netbook...

I don't have an iPad yet, though my Dad loved his, but I still appreciate the information here. It's good to know that we're not too far from being able to play on something other than a desktop/laptop. FWIW I didn't see post-PC world as a throw down, some people are overly sensitive, I suppose, like those with peanut allergies or college degrees that won't get you jobs.

I'm sure there will be an iPad-like tablet which will run CK2 before too long. The trouble is, it'll be a 2020 tablet running 2012's CK2. I wonder what they could do with a chopped-down graphics mode?

I would like to play CKII on my microwave.

+1

though I'd take Gameboy

I would like to play CKII on my microwave.

Well, I can play Saint's Row 3 via OnLive on this crappy toaster of a netbook, so it's not as unreasonable an expectation as you would like to make it sound. Again, obviously, assuming a streaming service as medium.

I don't have an iPad yet, though my Dad loved his, but I still appreciate the information here. It's good to know that we're not too far from being able to play on something other than a desktop/laptop. FWIW I didn't see post-PC world as a throw down, some people are overly sensitive, I suppose, like those with peanut allergies or college degrees that won't get you jobs.

I'm sure there will be an iPad-like tablet which will run CK2 before too long. The trouble is, it'll be a 2020 tablet running 2012's CK2. I wonder what they could do with a chopped-down graphics mode?
Gaming in the 21st Century, eh? So long to our overpowered PC systems that we spent a load of cash on to make it the best gaming rig out there, all you need now is a netbook that costs like 50 quid from your local hypermarket and you can play with the best of 'em!

A future no doubt, and this OP is probably some kind of salesperson/prophet at our distant techy future, whereby PC gaming has gone so far reachable by folk who probably have no idea how CK2 works/plays or probably wants to, but at least we can try and dumb it down for the gaming masses who probably are more concerned about getting their CoD fix or now Diablo 3 to take any interest in historical strategy gaming. And so what, eh? *Please ignore this Friday eve. rant*

I was just barely able to get an enjoyable game out of my Zenbook. I really doubt that the iPad is up to it. And when I came back home and played it again on my desktop, the widescreen view blew me away! It's not just the processor, but the view. So, my tuppenyworth is that this is not a game for the iPad.

While I agree that the iPad focus/the Post-PC angle is somewhat provocative, I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. As I said before - I would love to be able to play CK2 on my netbook...
I play CK2 on my netbook...

granted, it's more of an ultraportable (HP DM1z) anyway, but still...

then again, response rate is choppy (ie. split second lag between input and action for menus), I needed to tweak graphics a bit (removed trees and anything I could to), and the introduction loading is slow as an 19th century opera...

but it makes attending class a lot more fun, so it's worth it.

There's no "post-PC world". Like there's no "post-book world" because of cinema or "post-knife world" because of guns. POwerful PCs or they equivalent will foreverexist parallel to small entertainment systems. Serious projects will always require maximum power and big computers. And games will use it to the max too.

There's no "post-PC world". Like there's no "post-book world" because of cinema or "post-knife world" because of guns. POwerful PCs or they equivalent will foreverexist parallel to small entertainment systems. Serious projects will always require maximum power and big computers. And games will use it to the max too.
Well if you analyse the term 'Personal Computer', then we will always have 'PCs' in our homes, no matter what electronic device we use, either an iPad, iPhone or their equivalent. They are all personal and use some sort of CPU (odd also that most seem to Apple devices I mentioned too...). I hope I am not alone in this, but when I travel to work, or take a train ride etc, then really I dont game whilst doing so. I prefer to take my free time and game whilst at home in the comfort of my surroundings, not on a busy commuting experience. Maybe you do and enjoy that, I personally do not, especially for a game that requires thought to work things out.

To really appreciate an in depth game that makes you really think, to use your brain such as CK2 does, then you need to be sat down in comfort to enjoy it. I have built my PCs for over 14 years, I enjoy doing so, finding what works, getting the best affordable parts to make it last over a period of years so I can still play modern games; it is essentially a hobby for me. For this OP to post something that really is basically a massive sales pitch (but I think he is probably right in the direction we are going tech-wise), is pretty off - I just found it an odd post that essentially is bashing the PC community.

There's no "post-PC world". Like there's no "post-book world" because of cinema or "post-knife world" because of guns. POwerful PCs or they equivalent will foreverexist parallel to small entertainment systems. Serious projects will always
require maximum power and big computers. And games will use it to the max too.

I'm pretty sure that in this thread, and for the most part, the word/initialism PC mostly refers to computers with Windows or Linux-variants as its OS (or more accurately, "non-Macs")

of course, there's the second part of the coin, ie. playing CK2 on a non laptop/desktop environment, specifically an Apple Tablet, ie. an iPad, as was the OP's point.

"post-PC world" is most likely a figure of speech that's gone horribly wrong as most of interpretations on this thread seem to indicate. It's like saying something is "post-modern" when "modernity" will always be something that is today.

I'm pretty sure that in this thread, and for the most part, the word/initialism PC mostly refers to computers with Windows or Linux-variants as its OS (or more accurately, "non-Macs")
Don't think the "non-Macs" is right whatsoever. I can't think of many who would make the distinction between a Windows PC and a Mac computer, but not make a distinction between a Windows PC and a Linux one.

I think most people use the term PC to refer to any personal, desktop computer. Whether Windows or Mac (most people not knowing or caring one jot about Linux). Technically Macs are PCs anyway.