• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For example, in our MP game [check links in signature], there is 10 players... As we speak, here's the allocation of players/countries :

GER : 2 players
UK : 2 players

Others 6 = 1 player per country (JAP, USA, USSR, CANADA, ROMANIA, ITALY)

So the 2 main opponents have co-op.
Each side has now 5 players. At the start, the ratio was 6 Allies vs 4 Axis, but we corrected this to better balance the game and make sure there were as many hands/brains on either sides ;)

You could argue that the UK doesn't really need a co-op, but if you want the game to be decided on skill, I really think a co-op Germany is a must, and probably wouldn't be bad to have a co-op for the USSR. You can get quickly overwhelmed, even at speed 1. I prefer games decided by skill, knowledge, and tactics, not whether you missed the critical pop-up when you are clicking through the 30 bajillion that pop-up every hour during Barbarrosa.

Carnage al Dente

Chapter XIII - Operation Barbarossa part II

Players: UK, USA/USSR, USSR, GER, ITA, JAP

Recap: Barbarossa has just begun. As a result, UK started several offensives and managed to sink the major part of Kriegsmarine and later conquer Italian North Africa. In the meantime, the Wehrmacht strike at the Red Army with the help of Finland, Hungary, Romania, Italy and Japan.

12-4.jpg

December 29th, 1940

On the German East Front, things were much more glorious. The Red Army was retreating fast, shattered by a powerful panzer blitz. The freezing winter did not stop the Axis.

13-3.jpg

January 1st, 1941

The New Year held good news for the Germans. 7 enemy divisions, of which 3 was only garrisons, was trapped in a pocket. It would take some time to make them surrender, but 7 divisions were still a price to reckon with. This would weaken the Red Army, albeit not too much.

14-4.jpg

January 6th, 1941

The battle of Illichivs’k was one month old. All the initial three divisions of the Italian attack had been pulled back, except the battered 23rd division. Other divisions had been sent in to take their places on the chattered landscape. The Red Army had also continuously sent in replacements but they had melted away faster than the Italians – mostly because they always ended up numerously inferior.

Once again, the Soviet navy shelled the Italians with a powerful barrage (25%) which made the freezing life even more awful. Fighting there in the frosty, blood soaked mud, the average soldiers illusion of a heroic and quick war faded away into utter despair.

15-1.jpg

January 7th-10th, 1941

Finally, the Red Army was beaten and fled Illichivs’k. The Italian did not even get a full day to celebrate the victory before the Soviets attacked them. The terrifying naval bombardment commenced but at least the river was no longer an obstacle troubling the Italians and now it was the Red Army who had to charge the Italians who could find some shelter from the hostile weather in the ruins of the townships.

After three days of fighting, the Red Army pulled back and the Italians, and their Romanian allies who showed up only once the province was taken, could get some well deserved rest. Finally they had the provincial bridge head they had been fighting for all these weeks. Odessa was right in front of them!

16-2.jpg

January, 1941

The Brits had finally realized the strength of the Spanish ports and took one after the other along the African coast, ending it with the Canaries. This would severely hinder the spread of the Italian submarines. Still, acting from mainland Spain they were still very effective. Germany had reinforced their battered u-boat fleet and they searched and found some convoys between UK and USA.

It was obvious UK tried to find new convoy routes, hoping to find a safe route. It was a moot operation. The southern and Eastern routes were hit at a tremendous rate and as Japan extended their range to the southern tip of Africa, their ratio of sunk tonnage increased.

During a random week in January, Axis sunk more than 50 convoys from the Allies. As the Allies mainly consisted of UK and Canada, and Canada had no colonies, it meant that the dominating majority of the convoys originated from the United Kingdom. They paid a gruesome price.

A few of the convoys belonged to the Soviet Union, and the Great Bear answered in kind, sinking a few Italian convoys and some Jap. The Jap sunk several Soviet submarines, but the Italians had no such luck.

18-2.jpg

January 15th-20th, 1941

In mid January, the Brits launched a powerful three pronged attack on Spain. Within days, it was clear to the Axis that they did not have the strength present to stop the fast, motorized Brits. Instead of really trying to stop then invaders, it was all about saving as many units as possible. The Italian chose a similar strategy as in North Africa -sacrifice a few hoping to save the majority.

Authors note: I must confess - I am surprised the Brits could throw in so much. But as they have defeated the bulk of the Kriegsmarine as well as the Italian Africa Corps, and supposedly having a few Canadian troops in UK and some French expeditionary forces in Iraq, they could pretty much throw in EVERYTHING. This was a nice, decisive move by Zid.

19-1.jpg

January 21st, 1941

It was bleak days for the Italians. The Soviet leadership had mustered a strong attack on Illichivs’k and supported it with relentless naval gun fire. The Italians held the freezing ground for a few days but realized this would turn out to be a pointless slaughter and pulled back in good order. It was bitter to retreat over the River Dniester it had taken them more than a month to conquer.

20.jpg

January 25th, 1941

The German steamroller fared better. The Red Army stumbled backwards and another four divisions, one being only garrison, was surrounded and later crushed. This small but continuous bleeding of the Red Army was important for the future outcome of this great war.

21.jpg

February 7th, 1941

A little more than 2 months into Operation Barbarossa, and the Axis had done some clear advances, mainly in the plains in the center. In the far north and on the Romanian border, little had happened. Soon, the weather would become better and the pace could perhaps be even better.

A branch of the southern German panzer-front shot southwards east of the River Dniester. The Red Army would have to either retreat or be captured.

22.jpg

February 7th, 1941

The Finns had done some small advances but also lost land. Clearly, It was not here the war would be decided, but at least it gave Soviet one more front to worry about.

23.jpg

February 7th, 1941

Japan had some big troop movement to do, reorganizing in their rather big chunk of the world, as they also took on the Great Bear. They had captured the majority of India now without any resistance.

As the Red Army retreated orderly in the Far East, no significant battles or losses had taken place here.

24.jpg

January 30th, 1941
The Brits could not be stopped and they efficiently cut Spain in pieces. Germany had managed to retreat the majority of its forces while Italy, having the majority of their troops based in the south, was in worse positions.

In the first days of February, the Spanish government gave up, as the Brits offered them peace of they installed a new pro-Anglo government. The Brits wanted the Spaniards to turn on the former Allies, but they refused this and a truce was negotiated between Allied Spain and Axis. This meant ALL Axis units could retread out from Spain to occupied France.

This was a great relief for especially Italy who would have lost a majority of its Spanish Army otherwise. On the other hand, sooner or later, the Spaniards would turn on Axis.

Authors note: I guess this was some kind of miscalculation from the Allied side. It would have been devastating for me if they had conquered instead, but then they had been forced to leave more troops in Spain afterwards – so both gains and losses for both. But all over, this was a fast and furious campaign by UK. Cred. I was taken with my pants so far down my ankles I did not even bother to try to pull them up ;)

25.jpg

February 7th, 1941

USA have a quite low neutrality already, but they don’t seem to be ready to jump the battle anytime really soon. But they won’t obviously wait forever either. It’s Important to have some successes in Soviet during the spring and summer.

UKs only Allies with some kind of bite is Canada and Spain. The rest is beaten or midget nations.

Soviet still has all their puppets intact, including Turkey and Persia.

Very impressive move by the British player. Instead of conquering Gibraltar, the Axis ended up with another front. I suspect that the Allies may DOW Vichy and the Axis has to be ready for this.

In the East, things look good for the Axis, though, mostly due to the relentless German advance. If they advance fast enough, the Soviet player will have to withdraw his units from the Romanian border in order to avoid encirclement, so Italy may conserve MP and IC by waiting instead of attacking.

Japan is not a major threat to the USSR at the moment, because it will take months before they reach the industrialised regions of Central Siberia. The Soviet player should prepare his defence line here. However, the British have to guard Iraq out of fear of the Japanese attack, which is good for the Axis.

Due to high convoy losses, I suspect that the British player has to use a high % of his total IC for convoy production. Considering that the USA is still not in the Allies and the British are the only major naval power in the Allied camp, this is very favourable for the Axis.

This looks like a balanced game so far. IMO nothing is decided yet.

Actually, not that surprising. Spain is the only place Britain could have done anything, really, with their fleets dominating the European theatre. It's a shame that landings in provinces adjactend to ports are more decisive than defending the ports from sea attacks.

Hopefully Japan can mop up what little Allied forces there are left and move our the hopefully repaired ships towards the RN, as the latter shies away from facing down the IJN.

Britain could have released India as puppet , so they can use their own divisions to defend the country.
the USA are still far from joining the war , though

This continues to be an awesome AAR. A shame there are so few MP AARs. They are much more interesting than the average "beat the AI into a pulp and conquer the world" story.

In hindsight the attack on Spain was a major mistake on Italy's part. It maneuvered its troops into an exposed position for little gain. If things had gone badly, a whole lot of divisions could have been lost. Perhaps taking Yugoslavia would have been the better choice.

I guess the Soviet player is repeating Stalin's mantra right now: "Give me a second front!" In my humble opinion the outcome of this game may depend on the British player: Unless he can distract Germany in major ways, the bear will fall. With naval supremacy in the Atlantic secured, it's time for the British to take bigger risks and strike closer to Germany's heart: invasions in Denmark, Northern Germany or France are necessary.

I would really love to hear the British player comment on his convoy situation. Is it as badly as the Axis suggests or are we readers victims of propaganda of an Italian player who has little real successes to report? ;)

(Sorry, CaptEasy, just trying to goat some information out of your opponent, I am well aware that preserving Italy's strength and core territories is a major success in itself).

Its nice to see GB on the offensive with the pounding it has been taking. But the game really rests on the SU player. Germany can afford to lose all its western gains if it defeats the USSR (with an army still). If the bear falls, then that Huge Army of France and now SU veterans will be streamrolling their way back. And this time no super Margiot line to stem the tide. With all that leadership, IC, and MP not even the USA can beat him before the game ends. And that doesn't even consider the linking of JAP and GER or when the elite Panzers come storming down from Turkey to take the Suez allowing the IJN to access to the MED.

The USA Neut level is expected, but I'm surprised to see Germany's threat so low. Are the Allies not trying to raise his threat to fire off the "Undeclared War" events? I was thinking of asking about the intellegence war goings ons. Was expecting alot of axis spies doing counter missions and allies raising anothers threat. Japan has the highest "natural" threat, but I think the events off set them to Germany's favor. I've never done a MP game, but without working an Axis threat the USA usualy never entered my games until well into 43'.

I wonder if the UK or SU have any para units? If so a drop into Romania's 2 VP cities may cause a callapse of the Axis southern SU front.

I think JAP attacking into Persia would be a better option then into the "vastness of nowhere" that is Sibera. It will give him much needed oil and create another critical front for the SU to worry about. It is also way closer to major industrial areas.

@sprites: I disagree about India. An AI run India would have barely slowed JAP down. In fact it may have greatly sped the process up if they went GIE after losing Bombay and Calcutta VP areas. With it being seperate there is a chance that JAP would have annexed it and released it themselves giving them another small army. If I remember correctly puppeted countries only get 1 div per vp area when released. If so than the release of India would have only gained 3 divisions, and cost GB nearly 40 base IC.

Last edited:
Addendum to Chapter XIII - Operation Barbarossa part II​

With the threat of Italy removed from Africa, and the threat of a German invasion of the home Islands removed, Operation Pliers was started. The goal: Removal of all Axis troops from the Iberian penninsula, and further diverting the attention of Germany and Italy from USSR. It consisted of three phases. First, a landing in the north, where CAG air surveillance showed little or no Italian prescence. This was belived to draw the Spanish troops guarding Gibraltar north, even though they would be too far from the action to accomplish anything.

Second, an attack on the Spanish Med coast from island bases, aiming to take even more important areas.

Third, the substantial Gibraltar Garrison would fight their way out, going towards Cadiz and trying to delay any italian attempts at reinforcement.

hoi27.jpg

After just a week, operations proceeded as planned. Spanish resistance was minimal, and the Germans and Italians seemed more concerned with reaching occupied France than trying to stop the drive to Madrid.

hoi28.jpg

After ten days, Madrid fell. Franco was restored to power. Germany and Spain resumed hostilities, but the Italians got a cease-fire, and time enough to leave.

Authors note: At least when you install a puppet government you should be allowed to use the party closest to your own alignment. CptEasy, was Franco in charge while you had Spain puppeted as well? In that case we may be looking at a new record in coat-turning. This was the first time any of us turned a puppet, and so we didn´t know what to expect. I´m dissappointed that so many Italians got away, but I´m not sure I would like to have to garrison Spain myself.

hoi29.jpg

hoi30.jpg

During the aftermath, at least one German Divison got run over. That´s 10 000 men who won´t do any more fighting in this war.

Concerning the Convoy War: I actually anticipated large losses. This was also one of the reasons I left India- too many convoy lines that can´t be defended properly. Yes, I lost tons of convoys, but I kept up the numbers being produced. During this time, I dipped below the number required to be on plus a few times, but nothing seriously. How many i built? Let´s just say I never had fewer than 100 convoys building. Building convoyes enough to cover 40-50 losses each day would be more than I built though, so don´t believe the Axis propaganda!

Actually, not that surprising. Spain is the only place Britain could have done anything, really, with their fleets dominating the European theatre.

I agree. It was actually one of two targets I have mentioned before and... this is those 30 divisions ;)

I would land at Bordeaux now and cut off Italian and German troops by reaching Vichy.

Last edited:
1. Reply for CVs. They die in bad weather (storms) and night. But help of Interceptors and later Naval bombers is essential for success of Battleship based fleet.
Imbalance exists, but in 1940 battleships still matter. With 1942 techs they are totally outgunned fodder.

2. Spain is good choice. Sometimes landing in Bordeaux and blocking exit is even better, but then you need extra forces. For me as Axis player, Spain is simply a ground for some resources, which can be a distraction for Allied landings, winning time for East. No serious commitment there, never. I would have kept 1 wing of TACs though. And while waiting for invasion they can sink some convoys.

3. Japan can put good pressure to Asian holdings that matter, going north from India. So I'd say Japanese can give headache to Soviet defenses yet.

4. Germans get Blitzkrieg event for 150 days. So Soviets are in for bigger losses, when winter ends. Soviets can generally build 250-300 divs, so lost 7 divs is small drop in ocean. With German success in center, Soviets will have to withdraw in south unless they want to risk losing their southern army.
P.S. This is also good example of UK Mediterranian, where they can put pressure wherever they want.

Last edited:
@sprites: I disagree about India. An AI run India would have barely slowed JAP down. In fact it may have greatly sped the process up if they went GIE after losing Bombay and Calcutta VP areas. With it being seperate there is a chance that JAP would have annexed it and released it themselves giving them another small army. If I remember correctly puppeted countries only get 1 div per vp area when released. If so than the release of India would have only gained 3 divisions, and cost GB nearly 40 base IC.

It's far more favorable than that- like closer to 1 division per VP, not VP province. I think releasing India is a viable strategy, but perhaps not in this case where China is a puppet and the vast majority of the troops heading into India aren't Japanese anyway.

Bizarre what happened in Spain.

I've been rooting for the UK since he was all alone. He's plenty very well. Do Axis have any plans aside from knocking out the Soviets? This is actually very interesting. Even with the US knocked out of the war, with a huge foothold in Europe; the Allies have a large scope to raid the European mainland. Please continue this game past Axis/Comitern surrender. It would be very interesting to see if any faction can gain a Global victory. As for defeating a faction, occupier of the territory should gain them as Puppet. :)

Very nice update once more, thanks gents!

Actually, not that surprising. Spain is the only place Britain could have done anything, really, with their fleets dominating the European theatre.

Hmm people seem to agree on this, but I personally think that Sicily would've been equally worrying, though less likely to cut down on the submarine warfare. Am I missing something?

Also, an attack on Sardinia might've heralded a later attack in northern Italy, which would also be worrying, though on a longer scale.

I guess the Soviet player is repeating Stalin's mantra right now: "Give me a second front!"

Not that it's that much to the point, but this makes me wanna quote Wavell:

Sir Archibald Wavell said:
Ballade of the Second Front

I do not like the job I have to do,
I cannot think my new will go down well;
Can I convince them of oru settled view?
Will Stalin use Caucasian oaths and yell?
Or can I bind him with my midnight spell?
I'm really feeling rather in a stew.
It's not so hot a thing I Have to sell-
no second front in 1942.

I thought so; things are stickier than glue,
They simply hate the tale I have to tell;
Stalin and Molotov are looking blue,
If I give in an inch, they'll tak an ell.
I wonder if they'll put me in a cell
Ad deal with me like Hitler with a Jew.
It's not so hot a thing I have to sell-
No second front in 1942.

Come, things are taking on a rosier hue,
The whole affair has got a better smell,
I think that after all we'll put it through.
Though not as merry as a wedding bell,
The sound is now less like a funeral knell.
Another vodka, Joe? Here's fortune! Phew!
I've got away with what I came to sell-
No second front in 1942.

Prince of Kremlin, here's a fond farewell,
I've had to deal with many worse than you.
You took it, though you hated t like hell-
No second front in 1942.

The consequences of losing the Kriegsmarine, and Zid's ruthless prioritization of theaters. Things are warming up! Will Germany try to take out Spain, or achieve stale-mate at the Pyrenees?

Sicily is heavily defended and there is less room for manoeuvre there. Moreover, you cannot create a puppet there.

On top of that, it'd mean more convoys crossing though submarine infested waters in a situation where Zid will have to watch the numbers of available merchants anyway.

As always,

thanks Captain, Zid and the rest of the Carnage gang to let us share this great MP session + all the work compiling the AAR.

It is interesting that the Axis doesn't seem to have any other plan than Barbarossa for the rest of the European Theatre. So it 's all or nothing now!

I realy wonder what ITA is/was building and researching and if it has any focus option planned other then waiting for the US Invasion to come?
(Maybe going historical - surrendering and joining the Allies? ;) :D )

ENGs move on Spain was predictable (see previous gloomy musings) and the extremely weak Axis forces there surprised me, especially the lack of a mobile reserve in central Spain. A single GER corps in Madrid of 5 Divs mostly Mot. and maybe two armored could have ruined Zids day for quite a while.
Captain had a lot of luck to get his troops out of there!

I don't see Axis stopping ENG in Spain or retaking it. And the British Armor Divs. Zid has got at his disposal will require GER to finally counter by sending some Panzer Divisions to France, if he wants to keep them in check - Panzers missing in Russia.

The narrow strip of the southern GER-French Atlantik Coast from the Spanish Border up to La Rochelle will be a tempting invasion target to cut of the Axis defenders in the mountains on the Spanish border too.

And even if that can't be acomplished soon, Axis has got a serious second front way before a US war entry.

It might eventually prove necessary for Axis, to take over Mainland Vichy France in order to gain strategic depth and room to manouver + better connection for ITA.

The the Axis U-boot war in the Atlantic has taken a serious blow too - with losing the Iberic Peninsula + Northern Afrika as bases.

JAP - it is not entirely clear which strategic objective JAP has, right now it appears to keep spreading as wide as possible but without gaining anything decisive in the long term e.g. in the face of a US war entry.
We can only hope JAP is not completely overstretched accross half the (in HoI terms unimportant) world, when Maxiboy stops drinking coffee and unleashes the USN on the JAP sea lanes...

Conclusion:
Zid is running up to MVP-honours for the "al dente round" of the Carnage group with brilliant overall play on the strategic and tactical level.