• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Just sneaked into this great AAR to throw in a few comments:

(1) I think the Soviet player(s) made some critical mistakes with their OOB and strategic setup.

I am amazed by the lack of defence-in-depth. I am by no means an expert player, since I have only played two MP games in HoI3 (one Hungary, one SU - but that was with ICE mod where the Germans hit even harder), and the first thing I realized when I was attacked is that I shouldn't stack all troops on the front line. And that you should always leave an initial buffer against the axis to have room for maneuver. Looking at the screenshots, the SU has done neither of that and payed for it.

I think it should have been clear that there is no way of stopping an initial German advance with so many units at the eastern front. Instead with delaying the German spearheads with forward defenders that disengage after the initial skirmishes, the SU would have been able to delay the advance and steadily pull back in good order. Once the Germans overstretch their supply lines (and with so many panzer divisions that WILL happen!) and the initial shock bonus runs out, the SU could have stalled the war and waited for the English counterattacks in France. Granted, that strategy requires the SU to give up territory - and in my game, I ended up all the way back in Moscow until I was able to stabilize the front line, but better lose territory than the war.

(2) The Germans (and Italians) absolutely deserve the defeat in Spain and the losses in France.

Were the British attack gamey? Maybe a little bit. But looking at the number of defenders in France, I can only say the Axis deserved that. Germany can't really expect that leaving a handful of GAR units on the ports and a few divisions in the rear should stop an English (let alone US) invasion. I mean, from the number of counters I see on the screens, I have usually three to four times as many units on defence duty in France when playing against the AI...

I agree that coastal defence IS difficult, but honestly, GER or ITA could have spared a few brigades to at least cover the (most important) beaches to delay (or even hold) any English assault. I don't know the ENG unit composition, but if those are really quick MOT units, they should suffer when attacking a defended beach. Even 2 MIL brigades with a single AT brigade can do a fantastic job to delay or even hold an invasion attempt.

(3) Is there any house rule against RADAR stations?

Because neither the Axis, nor the allies seem to have RADAR intel. And thats usually one of the first things I get, whatever country I play. For the investment of 1-2 techs and some IC you receie long-range, fool-proof INTEL, and with high level decryption you can even spot the exace unit types. Germany has all his panzer divisions on the northern flank? Better move your AT there. Lots of English ships maneuvering through the med-sea? Better prepary for an invasion...

Applying a combat cooldown after landing troops (except by moving the TPs in a [conquered] harbor [maybe level 2+ to prevent mulberry abuse]) would mitigate the invasion problem more or less.
And it would also simulate that naval landings became much better organized during the later war.

I still wonder about the radar issue, esp. when there is no house rule against it.
Maybe another player can comment? :>