• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Formula51
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz1 View Post
Looks like the buy/sell province thing works. Another new change, perhaps? Good catch. I did not know that was even possible.
Alas I believe it's event driven.

Anyways, good luck! Lets see how fast you can turn that margravate into a kingdom

Yup, completely event driven!

Thanks! I'll have to defeat my Dragon Age-addiction first though. Evil Bioware makes RPG's that are just too good.:wacko:

aldriq
Good start! Can the French and Burgundians get to you through German lands?

Yes, they can, they have to send their armies through Kleve. And the French have ships, while I don't .

Enewald
Strange events.
To control soon all of Northern Germany?

That's the intention, but I don't know how long it will take obviously. I merely hope I survive the Reformation and the Thirty Year's War event sequences without too much damage.

coz1
Indeed, centralizing quickly and getting things in line for the modern Prussian state. This will be a nice training ground against the big boys of Western Europe. Happy hunting.

Thanks.

Storey
That was an amazing series of event helping you move toward centralization. So you're now at war with Burgundy and France? This should be fun.

Joe

I'm very pleased being so centralized so early. I hope their isn't an event series coming that reverses it all.

So we are at war with two major Western European players. Luckily Burgundy and France can only reach us either through the province of Kleve or by sea in Hinterpommern. Our general Schmettau orders the Brandenburg Army west to defend Geldre from a joint French-Burgundian strike. The enemy suffers thousands of deaths due to attrition while marching from Zeeland to Geldre with about 41k soldiers.

Schmettau has to march his troops all the way from Magdeburg through foreign territory and arrives in Geldre after the Guelders army is expelled from it's territory. They fled to Friesland. Then Burgundy advances from Guelders to Friesland and the Guelderians (sp?) flee to Holland (which is theirs).

The French in Geldre have been softened up a bit sieging Arnhem through the winter when Schmettau attacks them in the spring of 1457 but it isn't enough. He has to flee the field, though not without inflicting some losses.

Nothing important happens further for the rest of 1457. The Dutch cities being sieged were quite well supplied when they got encircled and withstand the sieges for more then a year now.

Brandenburg meanwhile signs a seperate peace with Cleves. Remember that this is what it all started. Berg released Cleves and then Guelders attacked Cleves and Burgundy attacked Guelders in turn.

(I forgot to take screenies during this part of the war, there was too much happening)

In November 1457 French ships pass through the Öresund and two French infantry regiments are dropped in defenseless Hinterpommern.

HinterpommerninvadedNovember1457.jpg

French reconnaissance in strenght in Hinterpommern.​

Kleist takes the newly formed Märkische Kompanie Leibgarde from Magdeburg to Hinterpommern and the French are annihilated by January 1458. The Guelderians have been replenishing some troops and buying time in holland while the French sieged Arnhem. Now they return to Geldre and defeat what's left of the French army. Burgundy remains sieging in Friesland.

The French send a much larger force over sea to Hinterpommern in September 1458 and they defeat Kleist. It was 12k French versus 5000 Brandenburgers. The French lost only about 1000 men, while Kleist is down to 2000. Schmettau has to return from Hannover to Hinterpommern but he to is forced to try it a second time after being defeated the first time. It takes until April 1459 until Brandenburg is again free of French forces. By this time France and Provence have successfully sieged Münster and Provence annexes Berg.

From 1460 onward things become much more convoluted and heated for both the French-Burgundian alliance and Brandenburg and allies. (next update again more screenies)

Last edited:
Wow. That's a fairly bold move for France. Certainly kept you busy. And now you have Provence messing about in Berg? Nicht gut. But at least it's only temporary, right? ;)

Quite impressed with the AI disembarking 12,000 men on your back door...
More than impressive it's amazing! It's rare for the AI to do this. Maybe there have been more improvements to the AI than I thought.:cool:

Joe

Very interesting so far!

I also decided for my first FtG game to play Brandenburg, in AGCEEP. Only I got the option to inherit and annex Anhalt, which I see you did not. I also took out Mecklenburg quick to get the CoT and sea access, so that by 1423 my nation had grown from 2 proviences to 5. Too bad the CoT didn't last.

I knew from previous experience with EU 2 (although I never had played Brandenburg) that I would get cores if I let Pommeria and Prussia alone, and I eventuly peacefully annexed those nations around 1620.

Also, you'll get a event circa 1450 that will give you cores on all of Bohemia and go to war with them if you want.

It's now 1704 in my game and I have just become Prussia. I have expanded to include all of Bohemia, Barvaria, the Baltics up to Ingermanland, Switzerland, France into Lux and Champagne (through revolts), western Poland, and northern Austria. In addition most of modern Germany is mine. My empire goes from Ingermanland to the north to Vienna in the south, Champagne in the west to Warsaw and Krakow in the east.

I also have a thriving colonial empire thanks to map trading and some random explorers on both land and sea.

Beware the major powers. Through most of my game I was allied with my small German vassal states (like Ponmeria, Prussia, Metz, Hesse, etc.) cause they didn't drag me into wars with France, Poland-Lith, Denmark, and others do. Your army is tiny but tough. After the 15th century you don't get any generals until the latter part of the 17th century, so make good use of them!

Good luck to you, Sir! :)

Somewhere at the end of the year 1459 the Danish alliance (basicly the Kalmar Union and Oldenburg and Mecklenburg) declare war on the French-Burgundian alliance. Oldenburg sends troops to siege Kleve (occupied by France IIRC). A few days later Scmettau arrives there too to speed up to process.

In January 1460 a Danish army arrives in Kleve and Schmettau decides to leave the siege of Kleve to them and moves north to Münster. Münster was owned by OPM Cleves until Provence annexed them but they are still at war with us.

The army of another OPM ally of ours is meanwhile fighting a big Burgundian army in Zeeland and actually defeats them in March, nearly killing 3/4ths of the Burgundians with a smaller army. They start sieging the province. Another two months later Schmettau finishes the siege of Münster. Not a week later I get a peace offer from Provence offering 50 ducats for peace.

SiegeMnsterPeacerefusedMay1460.jpg

Schmettau takes Münster from Provence, May 1460.​

I refuse the peace offer. BAD DECISION! Bremen and their knightly allies come knocking on the the front and back door. Luckily for me the Provence AI isn't smart enough to see that now I'm in a position where I would be happy with a white peace. I still get 50 ducats out of it and turn my attention east.

BremenDoWsusJuly1460.jpg

Bremen and their allies the Teutonic Order and the Livonian Order declare war on Brandenburg, July 1460.​

Scmettau becomes a true national hero defeating an army from Bremen thrice his size that was sieging Hannover. The Livonian Order has sent an army to siege Hinterpommern. Those people there really get the worst of everything...
Obviously defeating that clash with the Bremian army left both countries quite exhausted. Those coast dwellers return back to Bremen and stay there while Schmettau goes further east and waits in Brandenburg to replenish forces during the winter of 1460-1461.

HinterpommerninvadedSeptember1460.jpg

The situation just before that Bremian army moved south to Hannover, September 1460.​

Nothing really balance-shattering happens in the several wars raging all over the Lowlands and northern Germany until July 1461. Guelders accepts peace with Burgundy at that point giving 72 ducats in indemnities to Burgundy. In August Schmettau defeats the Livonian army in Hinterpommern and they wisely( and uckily for me) accept to a favourable peace. I get 25 ducats out of it. These people really don't know their own capabilities! In the same month Berg (OPM owning Münster, remember?) signs peace with Burgundy. Burgundy cedes Zeeland to them. I'm completely amazed at this outcome. I guess attrition really did it. All French and Burgundian armies had to come through Zeeland in order to get to the war and often they did cross the province in winter or with too many men at once. Denmark has occupied the province of Cleves by this time.

PeaceLOAugust1461.jpg

Peace with the Livonian Order, Teutonic Order and Bremen, August 1461. They could have caused me much more trouble.​

The last mentionable thing during this session was a slider move. We went one step towards aristocracy in December 1461.

SlidertoAristocracyDecember1461.jpg

One step towards Aristocracy, December 1461.​

Enewald: Indeed, that time is still ahead of me. But with the right course of action, the right friends and the lucky events I'll eventually get their maybe sooner then they did in reality!

SoulBlazer: Thank you! I didn't get that event I'm afraid. Unless you mean something with Romanist and Hussite Bohemians?

Storey, aldriq and coz1: Impressive indeed, but only as long as they semd armies I can take on...

Last edited:
I always enjoy the long snake-like look Brandenburg usually gets early on. However, time to fatten the snake up a bit. ;) Seems you do not lack foes who may DoW you in a moments notice. Helpful as long as you can take them. :D

Enewald: Quite nice indeed, so long as you can handle them all! :D

Karaiskandar: Badboy is in the update.

aldriq: I'd like either Bremen or Vorpommern as second coastal. As a reminder, Hinterpommern doesn't have a port!

coz1: Yup, exactly. New foes in the update.

It's February 1462 and Brandenburg has been out of the multiple wars raging in the Lowlands since the summer of 1461. Burgundy and France and several of our allies are still warring however. In the east Lithuania has vassalized the Teutonic Order.

1462FebruaryWarsBurgundyFrance1.jpg
1462FebruaryWarsBurgundyFrance2.jpg

The French-Burgundian Alliance's wars, February 1462.​

Nothing important happens in our snakish country and only two things worth mention until 1464. In December 1463 Austria annexes Styria, through game-driven historical events. Berg, still at war with Provence but not with Burgundy, seizes Münster from Provence. Earlier Münster had been conquered by the Danish but Provence reconquered it later. Stettin joins the alliance we are in during 1463. As a step towards gaining more land and hopefully a first province with a port I sign a royal marriage with Stettin in May 1464. I can't ask them to become my vassals as they are at war.

1463DecemberStyriaannexedbyAustria.jpg
1464MayRMStettin.jpg

1463AprilStettinjoinsalliance.jpg

Styria's annexation and Brandenburgs' diplomatic overtures to Stettin, 1463-1464.​

Stettin changes into Pomerania in October 1464 due to game driven-historical events. We keep the military alliance and royal marriage with them. After the winter, in 1465, both Burgundy and France decide they have had enough of the war against the Guelderian Alliance. Guelders pays 88 ducats in indemnities. Only Provence keeps figthing against Berg and Cologne and France and Burgundy do continue the war against Denmark for another year until they have to admit to a small defeat.

1466SeptemberDenmarkpeacewithFrance.jpg

Relative peace in Western Europe, September 1466.

1463MayBadboy.jpg

Badboy Brandenburg, May 1463.​

In May 1466 I receive the event 'Capital Attraction' in Brandenburg giving me a few hundred extra inhabitants in berlin and 35 free ducats. We also raise to Level 4 in Land Technology but we need one more level to be able to initiate assaults.

1466MayCapitalattraction.jpg
1466MayLandTechadvance.jpg

Brandenburg's capital grows and it's army gets better, May 1466.​

After more then half a decade of peace for Brandenburg another war arrives. Historical events give me the choice of claiming the Bohemian throne and cores on all of Bohemia's provinces as well as instant war with them. I dcide to take my chances and go for it. If need be I an always retreat to some remote province to recruit more regiments. Berg and Pomerania dishonor the alliance but Guelders, Mainz and Friesland honor the call to arms.

1466DecemberTheBohemianthrone.jpg

The Bohemian throne, December 1466.​

Bohemia's allies also join the fun. Mainz attacks the Bavarian province Baden but is countered by Swiss and Bavarian armies and is defeated. Meanwhile the Palatinate has moved their army in Mainz and are sieging the city. Marwitz takes my army to Erz to attack Bohemia and see what armies they hide there.

1466DecemberWarBohemia.jpg
1467MarchSiegingErz.jpg

The situation in March 1467.​

As so often happens in life, I am not allowed a little pleasure. The alliance leaders Guelders and Bavaria decide to end it in June 1467, before anything decisive has happened. Guelders pays 75 ducats in indemnities. At least I still have the cores on Bohemian provinces so I can try again later. That'll be as leader of an alliance though, so that I can't get fooled by my allies!

Yup, you clearly should be the alliance leader, too bad for this war.

At least I still have the cores on Bohemian provinces so I can try again later.

Yes you still came out ahead even if you didn't get territory this time. I have a feeling that Bohemia needs to keep an eye on you.;)

joe

The cores are very nice. That wins the long war, to be sure.