• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you all for your kind comments (and votes)! Work has been too busy, and the server too busy, to start posting analysis, but: dag231 and Roman_legion have each requested statistics, etc... - what do other people want to see?

Reado said:
bit of a naritive of the ending. Like the world after germany collapesed etc
Yeah that would be cool, or you could download the no time limit patch and keep on playing until Germany was soundly defeated (aka annexed)

woo hoo! victory! but now its over :( i say you should play as germany in LM+ brazil game or something :p

Very many congratulations on another sterling AAR.

rich-love said:
Thank you all for your kind comments (and votes)! Work has been too busy, and the server too busy, to start posting analysis, but: dag231 and Roman_legion have each requested statistics, etc... - what do other people want to see?

Statistics are always interesting a general sense of how the world plays forwared. There are a lot of loose ends... I can see the soviet uniion wanting historic russia back, Asia is a mess, there are eseitnaly two japans... since the Emporer and IJA have not come to terms (as I recall). Europe is devistated... Africa... well has litteraly been blased back to the stone age... in a political sence any way (with lots of modern weapons... probably make modern day Sudan and Rawanda look tame). Granted the mariens are thier but he USMC is spread thin. yeah lot of unknows here regarding the future for much of the world.

Let's start with some info about the Axis at effective game end (May '48). I loaded up as Germany to get this, btw - most of it is news to me.

German army locations:
armylocationsae1.png

To the credit of the AI, most of the stuff in Central Asia was headed to the front. There wasn't alot of SR'ing, as the German TC was shot (43 / 1200 or thereabouts).

Axis army sizes (for those over 10 divs in size):
axisarmiesover10yu1.png

Axis Navy (yes, that's all that's left, and they're mostly hiding / trapped in the Baltic)
axisnavyve3.png

Japanese status in China (note the lessened strength):
japaneseattritionqv2.png

More analysis to follow today.

The Good:

- The readers, first and foremost. Thank you all, once again, for reading and participating. It was your comments (and analysis) that really made this AAR.

- Honeypot, Cobra, shore bombardment and logistical strikes. Honeypot and Cobra broke the backs of the Japanese and Germans, respectively, and were pivotal in turning the tides in the Pacific and European theaters. Shore bombardment is my new best friend (other than phargle, whose offer was very nice, if non-applicable). Logistical strikes saved me as I retreated through France into Spain, and helped me hold the line in the Pyrrennes.

The Bad:

- Titan, the invasion of France. I really expected the German AI to roll over, but it responded quickly and nearly ejected me from the continent.

- Winter attrition, especially during combat. I wanted to reach the Rhine before the snow ended the '47 campaigning season, but I think I took too many casualties trying to sustain my momentum.

The Ugly:

- Some aspects of the German AI. Despite a lot of editing, I couldn't convince the German AI to properly fortify Europe or start nuking the Allies.

Comments are of course welcome.

The Germans still have 3 million men? Yeow. That's astonishing.

How did shore bombardment pan out? I am kind of a HoI2 newbie and, while I love bombarding the shore, I am never really clear on what effect it's having.

Did we ever get a clear picture of casualties?

Will Truman run for a third term?

I dunno if I missed his re-election in there in '48.

Here is the best example of the effect of shore bombardment:

4710010900om5.png

3 divisions of Marines are attacking 12 German infantry divisions. The -102.40 modifier reduces their defensive efficiency to 1%, which means (I think) only one out of every hundred shots that would have hurt the marines actually lands. The battle took three days but I only took 3 strength points of damage.

Note that shore bombardment goes away if enemy fleets engage your fleets. Note also that the supporting fleet is the entire USN - a dozen carriers and 2 battleships.

I didn't really cover Truman's re-election - there's no way he would have lost. Casualties are very hard to estimate; I would say anywhere from 350-500 thousand Americans fell in the three years I played.

rich-love said:
Here is the best example of the effect of shore bombardment:

4710010900om5.png

3 divisions of Marines are attacking 12 German infantry divisions. The -102.40 modifier reduces their defensive efficiency to 1%, which means (I think) only one out of every hundred shots that would have hurt the marines actually lands. The battle took three days but I only took 3 strength points of damage.

Note that shore bombardment goes away if enemy fleets engage your fleets. Note also that the supporting fleet is the entire USN - a dozen carriers and 2 battleships.

I didn't really cover Truman's re-election - there's no way he would have lost. Casualties are very hard to estimate; I would say anywhere from 350-500 thousand Americans fell in the three years I played.

Churchill lost.

300+ divs just marching to you...by the time they got there they'll probably be too weak and tired to fight! :p

Hats off to you (once again)!! A very enjoyable and extremely well played AAR! I look forward to your next project. :D

I seem to have missed the end to both this and LM+'s AAR, huh.

You did an outstanding job, and there were some times I wasn't sure if you could win, especially after the fall of France (for the second time). You pushed through though, and through perseverance and incredible skills won in the end. Amazing job in all, just amazing. I now join the crowds asking for an Epilogue.