• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hah. Thanks for your praise, guys. I'll try to keep the updates coming. :D

Vann: Wouldn't YOU like to know? :D

Jacob was ready when they came. He had married in the year and a half since Roosevelt had taken an effortless victory in ’36. His wife, Susan, was a sweet girl with golden curls and a beautiful face and she had a political head on her, too. Jacob had met her, fittingly enough, on Roosevelt’s staff. However, despite all her nice qualities, he really only married her for show. Voters always preferred a married man to a single one, for some reason, and his wedding to such a lovely young woman was no hardship for him.

Susan and he had been expecting them, and had made a much larger dinner then just the two of them could possibly manage to eat, but their visitors didn’t seem to mind. Both were dressed very well, Jacob in a suit and Susan in a spectacular blue dress. Which seemed to be made from the very essence of a thousand sapphires – borrowed, of course, for the occasion.

They shook hands at the door, Jacob smiling charismatically and welcoming them in, Susan taking their coats. It was three elderly gentlemen and a younger, middle-aged one. They looked like the heads of some corporation, and indeed, one of them was.

“Jacob! How long has it been? A year?” The younger of them said as he took Jacob’s offered hand in both of his and shook it excitedly.

“A year and a half, but it doesn’t feel that long, does it?” Jacob said idly, still smiling. “Finally out of that awful depression at last! Say, Susan has just about finished making dinner, I’m glad you stopped by. Maybe you’d like to join us?”

“Well, truth is, we’d love to, and perhaps we will. However, we didn’t come by just to say ‘Hi,’ I’m sure you understand. Well, I suppose we can explain it over dinner, right boys?” Said the eldest man, in a brown suit with a red tie, looking to the others. They all nodded vigorously, and soon were sitting down to eat.

“So, in ’36 we got you to know you and Susan very well, even though you weren’t married at the time – ah, congratulations by the way!” Began the elderly man again. Susan smiled a gorgeous smile and crinkled her nose in reply. She was born for politics, thought Jacob. “And anyway, we know you’re interested in politics – and though you’re young, we think you’d be the perfect candidate for the democratic ticket for Maryland for senate!”

Jacob was silent for a moment as though surprised, just as he practiced, and then put his silverware down to punctuate his reaction.

“Wow, Mr. Shoemaker, I am honored that you have such confidence in me!” He said, flashing another charismatic smile – impressions were vital at this meeting, because these men represented a powerful political machine for the democrats in Washington. He made himself look as though he were going to go on about how flattered he was, but really never intended to unless they forced him to with silence.

“—Now, now!” expectedly interrupted the middle-aged man. “It won’t be easy! Maryland almost always goes to the Republicans! But we think that you represent the best shot the Democrats have had in quite a few years to pick us up a seat! So you think it over, and we’ll be in touch to find out your answer. Senate is a big step, my boy!”

The men beamed at Jacob, and he and his perfect wife smiled back, and it was over. It had all gone flawlessly. Life was good to Jacob. Jacob had no previous experience in office, and the Senate was almost an impossible goal to achieve, but Jacob had supposed they were going for an outsider because the others who had announced their intentions didn’t have the confidence of the Shoemaker machine.

And then, there on the other hand, Jacob had been promoted after meeting his boss’s boss’s boss, Mr. Shoemaker of Shoemaker Steel and Wiring, and had been promoted off the assembly floor into a management position, and he had increased productivity by 15% which was apparently a lot. So now, Jacob, for whom life laid out the finest linens was to be Senator, and though it seemed impossible, everything just seemed to work out for him. So of course, when his boss called him the next day, Jacob eagerly accepted while carefully not seeming like he was naïve enough to believe victory would be easy. It was a delicate balance between seeming arrogant and seeming like a coward. He had to seem confident but cautious, and of course it was no trouble at all for Jake to pull off.

-Panama Canal, Panama-
-April, 1938-

Hojo waited in the cabin of the camped and obsolete destroyer. Soon, the hatch opened and a man very much as out of place as Hojo was on the boat with the sailors appeared as a stream of golden sunshine fell onto Hojo’s asian-featured face. He barely squinted at the sudden brightness, though his pupils certainly reacted. The silhouette approached him holding a briefcase. Hojo could make out a pistol holstered just behind his jacket as well now, since he had come very close and blacked out the light completely.

“Your next assignment is a dangerous one. It might very well be the last one you’ll ever take. If you want out, now’s the time to get out.” The man said in a deep, deep voice. He sounded like a croaking frog more than a man. And he looked rather like one, too, with a wide head and large, dark eyes and a wide nose as well. He remained silent for a long moment, as did Hojo.

He might die on this one. So be it, he would die for freedom, then. He had a son, and his pension would make sure they were well off if he died. Hojo nodded. “I’m ready for my assignment.”

“Good. Your job is not only dangerous, but difficult. You were specially picked out of all the agents that the United States employs, and let me assure you, that is a great many people. You have shown the ability to remain cool under pressure, the ability to kill the enemies of the United States without hesitation, and you are of Japanese ancestry, which will be vital to your mission succeeding. You are not to be captured alive on this mission, and as such, we will be providing you with these. If you for some reason cannot procure a means of escape from Germany after your mission, you are to take one of these capsules and place it between your teeth and bite. The effect will be swift and painless. Do you understand?” As he spoke, he took out a pill box, obviously filled with cyanide capsules.

“I understand.” Hojo said, though his throat was extremely dry.

“Good. Your mission details, your weapon, and everything else you’ll need is in this case. Good luck, Mr. Kitta.” Said the Frog-man, handing him the case and the pillbox. He turned and left without another word.

-Berlin, Germany-
-June 9, 1938-

Hojo sat in a safehouse which had been set up specifically for this single mission. He had carefully assembled his weapon, a brand new 100 Shiki Kikantanju Submachine Gun – just developed in Japan for the War Effort. He was to assassinate the German Finance Minister Hjalmar Schacht, who had done much to put Hitler in power and was something of a genius when it came to finance. He was to make it look like he was a Japanese was responsible by leaving the gun – the plans for which, by some dark humor on the person who had organized thie mission, Hojo had stolen – behind at the scene of the assassination and then disappear. He was to do the killing as quickly as possible in a public setting and escape as quickly as possible to avoid arrest.

He had been informed that Schacht was to attend a meeting with the president of a prominent chain of German Banks. When Schacht walked in, Hojo had decided to come in behind him holding the Japanese gun, say something in angry Japanese, fire into him, drop the gun, and get back into his still running car and drive off. He had scouted a wealthy Marina and had decided he would Hijack a vacant boat and head for Copenhagen and then London. He would not return to the American Embassies in either of these places, because an assassination could under no circumstances be traced back to the supposedly isolationist Americans.

assassingermany18mf.png

Hojo sat in his car, looking through the rear view mirror. Finally, after what seemed like years, a black luxury car pulled up and Schacht got out of the back seat and entered the bank. Hojo got out of his car, clutching the sub machine gun in hand. People passing in the street mostly didn’t notice, but some did and their eyes widened. Hojo put a convincing mask of hatred onto his face, kicked the door of the bank open with his foot as he punched a doorman in the face with the butt of the sturdy weapon and shouted some nonsense about Schacht cheating the Mitsubishi Bank out of some contract or another, and just as Schacht turned around to see what all the commotion was about, he caught three bullets in his torso, coughed up a bit of blood, and fell backwards to a choir of screams and sobs. Hojo threw the weapon at the dying man and left the building before the hot brass that had fallen to the exquisite marble floor had even stopped spinning.

assassingermany20lu.png

(Someone in the American government besides J. Edgar Hoover seems to be playing international politics from the rooftops. They have killed one of Germany’s best ministers!)

Last edited:
Going from IC+10% with Schacht to something like a reasearch bonus (Bombers, if I recall correctly) with Hess *has* to hurt. But wouldn't he have resigned anyway in a few months if you're playing against a person? Though I suppose this gives you a chance to whack Hess too - IC +5% silent workhorse is also a great minister, especially for a country that either will have a) a lot of money or b) not that much diplomacy to do. I know that a very good Canadian DD AAR had Stalin assassinated as, I believe, an army minister and then replaced with Molotov (Silent Workhorse?) and going from -5% to +5% IC (if he is a Silent Workhorse, ironic for a diplomat) may not have been the best idea. Though I guess it probably felt good. :p Plus, I guess it'd make the USSR easier to coup, though the game ended with an annexation.

Last edited:
I don't know what you're talking about. This is the work of a disgruntled Jap working for Mitsubishi Bank!

EDIT: Actually he stopped in '37 and it's halfway through '38 in my game so I'm not precisely sure how the minister system works in this game, since I'm rather newb. And yes, Hess gives -10% STR construction bonus. Anyway, forgive my newbness with stuff like that since I don't know all the timed events and as best I could tell he should have already stopped being the Arm. Min. :D

Dweomer said:
I don't know what you're talking about. This is the work of a disgruntled Jap working for Mitsubishi Bank!

EDIT: Actually he stopped in '37 and it's halfway through '38 in my game so I'm not precisely sure how the minister system works in this game, since I'm rather newb. And yes, Hess gives -10% STR construction bonus. Anyway, forgive my newbness with stuff like that since I don't know all the timed events and as best I could tell he should have already stopped being the Arm. Min. :D

He resigns 6 January 1939 in DD. There's a 95% chance of his resignation triggering and an 80% chance of Hitler accepting it. That event won't be triggered now, though, and they may be stuck with an absolutely useless strategic bombers bonus for several years. I don't even think the German AI builds those. Plus, you can now kill Hess, removing a further +5% IC bonus.

Corbett said:
He resigns 6 January 1939 in DD. There's a 95% chance of his resignation triggering and an 80% chance of Hitler accepting it. That event won't be triggered now, though, and they may be stuck with an absolutely useless strategic bombers bonus for several years. I don't even think the German AI builds those. Plus, you can now kill Hess, removing a further +5% IC bonus.

But... But... then he won't parachute on Scotland in '41. :(

Gotta admit, Hess was kind of bad ass for doing that.

This is fascinating. I haven't seen the new intelligence system used to such effect before.

Vann

Vann the Red said:
This is fascinating. I haven't seen the new intelligence system used to such effect before.

Vann

I suppose it's cuz I never played HoI or HoI2 vanilla. Gotta break down those walls of static thinking, as Rommel would tell you. The U.S. is stuck at peace without cheap modification of game files, until at least 1939 without someone declaring on them first, and require a massive amount of consumer goods even with lots of -consumer goods requirement ministers, so you're stuck generating a lot of cash and sacrificing a lot of your peacetime industrial capacity. Therefore, I knew from the start that I'd be using my excess cash on diplomatic and intel operations primarily to steal tech to become a dominant force by the time I begin "phase 2." Also, though, I plan to do assassinations and partisan funding and lo and behold, on my first try at assassination, I got one! :D It's cuz I put Hojo in charge. He's bad ass, but I'm worried about him. I fear he may die very soon. :(

I hope not. Mayhaps he'll become another AAR operative along the lines of Jean Gaspard and Otto Skorzny.

Vann

Vann the Red said:
I hope not. Mayhaps he'll become another AAR operative along the lines of Jean Gaspard and Otto Skorzny.

Vann

I've gotta admit, the only other AAR I've read is Nazi Moon Base. I'm rather new to HOI and these forums. :D Although I did just make a new sig and avatar. LIBERIA! :D

Assassination! Pretty cool!

Would not the assasination of a foreign nations minister be a majoar international relations nightmare? Is there any side effects in game?

Anyway, great AAR so far.

AOK. 11 said:
Would not the assasination of a foreign nations minister be a majoar international relations nightmare? Is there any side effects in game?

Anyway, great AAR so far.

Ah, but the assassination was done by a crazed Japanese businessman reeling over the loss of a contract, certainly not by the United States ;-)

NOTICE: Major changes to this post after I realized what a blunder I had made. Sowwy. ^^

-Tripoli, Libya-
-August 4, 1938-

Hojo waited until well after dark. His fine business suit was by now stained with grease that would never come out, dusted in dirt and caked in mud. If he had left the Oil Tanker earlier, he would have attracted as much attention as if he had been naked. Inwardly, Hojo cursed his misfortune, but knew that he was lucky even to be alive. The fucking marina had been packed with people and with the local police and likely Gestapo hot on his trail with sirens blaring in the distance, he could not have risked his life on the off-chance of being able to steal a boat, yet, he had needed to do something, and fast.

So, he had gone not a quarter of a mile and watched a taxing oil tanker. It would leave soon, but would it be soon enough to evade the polizei? If his car was found before he left, the boat would be stopped and searched. He decided his best option was to hide the car in plain sight. He parked in the small parkinglot of the place and calmly boarded the tanker. He was prepared to kill any crew who grew suspicious, but luckily no one was there, or at least, paying attention. Hojo descended to the muggy engine room, and had waited with bated breath.

Hojo wasn’t sure how long had passed. It seemed like six months, but he knew it couldn’t really be that long. He had evaded discovery in the large labyrinthine engine room stealing food and water from the mess hall after hours. He had soon fallen into a dreary routine, passing his time by doing anaerobic exercises, thinking up new disguises and aliases and ways of getting agents into foreign countries, maintaining his side arm, and the like. In this time, his clothes had become filthy, and he stunk badly and it was a wonder his smell hadn’t betrayed him.

As he knew they would, though, when the boat was still at long last, footsteps filled the engineroom -- and likely everywhere else. They had found the car, and put two and two together. They were looking for him, and when evidence of his presence was found, like the wrappers and empty cans of food, he would be found too. Hojo twirled the silencer onto the pistol he held, and climbed up onto one of the crates which encircled what had been his home for a long time now. Over it, he saw three Germans and an Italian Sailor in the engine room, shining lights behind each crate systematically. He would have to kill all four of them if he was to escape, and he'd have to do it before they could even fire one shot. Luckily he had surprise and a silenced pistol and was a damn fine shot. He aimed the first shot very slowly, very carefully, for the German Officer. He would not have nearly this much time on the others, but taking out the officer was the obvious opening move. A burst of air signalled the officer to drop to the ground, dead. The others turned towards him and another German fell. The two others spotted Hojo and drew their weapons. He wasn't going to make it. The last German fell to the ground with another sickening thud, and the Italian fired. The shot missed, but the loud bang was all he had needed to do to kill Hojo. However, he had needed to hit in order to save his own life. He keeled over backwards, clutching his heart even as his eyes rolled back. He was dead before he hit the ground. A thunderous roar of footsteps cascaded down the metal stairs as Hojo bounded off the crate, ran past the officer grabbing his luger as he went and shot out of the Engine room through one of the quieter cases of stairs. He made it to the first landing and saw a pair of soldiers descending from above him. He aimed his silenced pistol and shot through the gaps between the stairs, hitting them both in their calves. They tumbled down, one breaking his neck along the way, the other getting finished by the last bullet from Hojo's gun. He didn't have the time or clip to reload, so he discarded it on the marine's body and took his sub machine gun. As Hojo reached the top of the stairs, and fired a burst of bullets into the gut of an Italian, it occured to Hojo that he was home free. He jumped over the railing and fell nine feet to the docks, rolling on impact to avoid injury as best as was possible. For a breif moment he was stunned by the energy of the landing biting at his legs and back, but he was not hurt. He ran off as hails of bullets fell from the deck of the tanker, with no chance of hitting at these ranges. Now, though, the chase was on again, and Hojo had no car to carry him, and stood out like a sore-thumb.

After a few miles of evading blaring vehicles and running men with submachine guns, Hojo had the time to be surprised at the effect of his constant exercising over the length of his trip. He wasn’t at all sure where he was, but everything was the color of animal skin before it was turned into leather – somewhere in between the color of wet sand and rust. Could this tanker have truly taken him to Africa? The style of the buildings looked just like those which might have been found in Alexandria. No, though, Hojo thought. We’d be in Libya, not Alexandria. This boat had been in a German port north of Berlin.

Hojo spoke not a word of whatever they spoke here, Arabic, he guessed. However, if he could find someone to translate for him, he could still work against the enemies of the United States. First, he needed to confirm this was Italian territory he was in and get a change of clothing. It was midnight, and everyone would be in their homes and it would be difficult to find clothes that way. He had no money local or foreign, so he couldn’t exactly buy any either. Hojo ditched his jacket and tie in a fetid trashcan in a dark alley way – for his undershirt was still mostly clean, and when he looked up, he saw clothes lines stretched between the two buildings. To his relief, he found a great deal of western-style clothing here, and the buildings were so close together he was able to shimmy up between them by placing his back against one and his feet against the other and slowly climbing. He quietly, carefully retrieved a jacket and some pants and descended again, dressing right there in the alley way. With his beard and dark Asian skin, he would be able to blend in here if he got cleaned up. For this, he would need money. He headed downtown in the warm, dry night air to find someone who spoke English.

Last edited:
-Tripoli, Libya-
-At that very same moment-

Abdul-Hafiz walked slowly down the street which was gradually clearing of people as the night grew longer. Abdul, though, had no intention of heading home. He kicked a large rock as he went, seeing how long he could steer it along in its course before it hit a bump and bounced out of the range of his feet. He would not retrieve it if this happened, but after ten minutes of doing this, it still remained on course.

An odd looking man approached him, looking as conspicuous as a retard in Germany, as the saying was these days. He was saying the English word “Hello” casually to everyone he passed. Abdul didn’t say a word, but merely grabbed him by the arm and dragged him down an alley way. For a fraction of a second the man resisted, but then he followed willingly.

“You don’t speak Arabic?” Abdul demanded of him, eyeing him. He looked Arabic himself, but upon closer inspection Abdul realized that he was Asian and not Middle-Eastern at all.

“You speak English!” Hojo replied, with obvious relief. “And no, I don’t.”

“Why were you looking for someone who spoke English?”

“I had no choice, I’m afraid.” Hojo answered. “I am sort of stranded here.”

“Stranded how?” Abdul asked, looking around the alleyway.

“Stranded in the only way that one can be stranded. I am without a means to leave this place. I regret that I cannot tell you the circumstances that led me to my current predicament, but if you could direct me to an American embassy or –“

Abdul interrupted him with a chuckle.

”Libya is occupied by Italy, and before that it was occupied by the Ottoman Empire. There is no embassy here, even in Tripoli. However, I think Allah must have sent you to me, for you would be astronomically unlikely to have found me without His aid. I am under the employ of the Americans, though I have not heard from them in some time. Follow me, I’ll take you to a place where you will be safe to contact whoever you need to contact in privacy. You need a bath, anyway. You smell like a camel.”